Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm Voting for FG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

owlbethere wrote: »
    I think I will be voting for FF. The housing crisis is a huge problem and it's an effect from the bust. FG never addressed the housing crisis. Michael Martin touched on something earlier in the week on one of the leaders debates saying something about a lot of young adults living at home with their parents because housing is unaffordable and they are not factored into the homeless figures. FG never addressed that part of the homelessness crisis and they have their heads in the sand with Leo encouraging adults to go to the bank of Mammy and Daddy for a deposit. FF are aware of how serious the homelessness mess is. There's people sleeping on the streets. Young adults not able to move out from their parents house. I'm willing to vote FF and give them a go. I like MM as well. He did some great things for Ireland when he was part of government. The smoking ban comes to mind. I think MM has the vision to implement improvements and get things done.
    Yeah. Go to the bank of manny and daddy and hope they can or have the ability to sort you out. If they don’t ... Then on the other hand , they are giving away luxury apartments in Dundrum! Rotten to the core corrupt kip !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I think I will be voting for FF. The housing crisis is a huge problem and it's an effect from the bust. FG never addressed the housing crisis. Michael Martin touched on something earlier in the week on one of the leaders debates saying something about a lot of young adults living at home with their parents because housing is unaffordable and they are not factored into the homeless figures. FG never addressed that part of the homelessness crisis and they have their heads in the sand with Leo encouraging adults to go to the bank of Mammy and Daddy for a deposit. FF are aware of how serious the homelessness mess is. There's people sleeping on the streets. Young adults not able to move out from their parents house. I'm willing to vote FF and give them a go. I like MM as well. He did some great things for Ireland when he was part of government. The smoking ban comes to mind. I think MM has the vision to implement improvements and get things done.

FG never addressed the problems in the housing crisis which FF created.
    So you'll vote for FF.
    Is that what you're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Yes because FF did such a good job of managing the housing market the last time out.

It's simple enough really, people wont cut their cloth to suit their coat. If you can't save 10% of the value of the house you wish to buy then you can't afford a house in that price range. The last thing we need is people taking on debt and mortgages that they can't afford. FF are the epitome of a short term focus populist party who don't have the stones to make tough unpopular decisions for the greater good. They'll get in power again, overheat the property market and make a shambles of things. But it's your vote and you're entitled to vote for whoever you like.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So you'll vote for FF.

I think fg addressed some of the issue and completions are rising rapidly as are permissions, but they did it in a glacial typical Irish manor , when it was an emergency and while things are improving. I think the lack of reasonably timed action , means the clock is running out for them

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

It’ll probably be a FF led FF/FG coalition with no need for Lefties - hopefully

• Advertisement

It’ll probably be a FF led FF/FG coalition with no need for Lefties - hopefully

You have two parties to the left in there with ffg ! They support massine spending. Insane marginal rate of income tax and an obscene welfare state. What would you call it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

So you'll vote for FF.

Can you please tell me what problems in housing FF created?

The boom was driven by greed by so many people, it wasn't only FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Massive deregulation of the banks, not taking decisive measures to prevent the housing market overheating. Basing the economy on stamp duty from house sales. Sometimes government must step in a protect people from their own stupidity and greed. It takes a strong government to make the tough unpopular decisions and last time out FF were too busy partying at the Galway races tent to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Who was in charge when all this greed and credit was floating around?

Who was meant to be keeping an eye on things?

Moses?

People can't see this is exactly what the present government is trying not to repeat.

Cooling a housing bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Calhoun wrote: »
    How do you think SF will address any of this? if their message is to be believed they are more open to the council houses, drug reform and immigration than FG or FF.

FG, FF, SF and Labour won’t. The way to address it is to have the balls to introduce benefits caps and to revert to the way social housing was allocated in the past. The people who are on the list the longest housed first.

None of these parties will introduce caps and so the circle continues. I overheard (more blown into my ear) a conversation in Johnston’s yesterday of a woman no more than 17 with two boy and another on the way saying she hopes it’s a girl. Because it increases her chances of getting a house. Meanwhile her two crotch goblins were messing at the newspaper stand and she wasn’t paying attention to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

almostover wrote: »
    Yes because FF did such a good job of managing the housing market the last time out.

It's simple enough really, people wont cut their cloth to suit their coat. If you can't save 10% of the value of the house you wish to buy then you can't afford a house in that price range. The last thing we need is people taking on debt and mortgages that they can't afford. FF are the epitome of a short term focus populist party who don't have the stones to make tough unpopular decisions for the greater good. They'll get in power again, overheat the property market and make a shambles of things. But it's your vote and you're entitled to vote for whoever you like.

There's a serious flaw in this argument, the rent some people are paying has spiralled completely out of control, but they're able to keep paying it regardless.

If they can pay the rent - they could in theory pay the mortgage (which in all likeliness wild prob be less than the rent), but having enough left over to also save the deposit is where it gets difficult for them I imagine.

I'm a home owner since 06, but would hate to be in position many renters are finding themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

FG, FF, SF and Labour won’t. The way to address it is to have the balls to introduce benefits caps and to revert to the way social housing was allocated in the past. The people who are on the list the longest housed first.

None of these parties will introduce caps and so the circle continues. I overheard (more blown into my ear) a conversation in Johnston’s yesterday of a woman no more than 17 with two boy and another on the way saying she hopes it’s a girl. Because it increases her chances of getting a house. Meanwhile her two crotch goblins were messing at the newspaper stand and she wasn’t paying attention to them.

Funny post but i still don't think it will get better under SF, you will see more of this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So that excuses the ongoing harassment of Cahill or the fight for justice both herself and the two boys molested by. A serving member. I guess **** them right ? SF should be just given a pass because the bould FG are not liked.

How on earth is that an excuse? I was showing the comparison is not like with like.
    You're making up your own outrage here. Did you read what you quoted or just use it as a jump off point?

How on earth is that an excuse? I was showing the comparison is not like with like.
    You're making up your own outrage here. Did you read what you quoted or just use it as a jump off point?

I read it like you were excusing the crimes that happened to Cahill and the more recent victims because that arm of SF was an illegal organization who didn't trust the authorities.

For me that isn't an excuse for SF, considering in Cahills case she told Adams about it and he did sweet FA.

Neither side should be excused but SF is more sinister in ways.

Moses?

People can't see this is exactly what the present government is trying not to repeat.

Government was appalling. but if the” independent “ regulator did his job , it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as bad ...

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They can hire a taxi but need 3 quotes
    Your answer doesn't have any evidence of corruption
    You're not very good at this retort business are you
    What next,more Ad hominem like yesterday?

You are constantly trying to divert.
    Cronyism is a form of corruption. Corruption isn't always a criminal offence.
    If you are okay with putting a personal driver on the IW board, 'looking after our own', the siteserv deal under investigation and the incompetence of the NCH, fine.
    Keep it country Morty.

I read it like you were excusing the crimes that happened to Cahill and the more recent victims because that arm of SF was an illegal organization who didn't trust the authorities.

For me that isn't an excuse for SF, considering in Cahills case she told Adams about it and he did sweet FA.

Neither side should be excused but SF is more sinister in ways.

Well you read wrong. I was explaining the differences. Its actually in the post.

Moses?

They failed.
    Working people are having a hard time while FG pat themselves on the back about the economy. And we will have a crash as the tax payer can't fund the rent of other tax payers forever.

Wouldn't who ever wins, say Lab/Green be the government? Why care about the outgoing one way or the other?

whooosh!

the point being, matt, that the complaints that people make about the party/ies in govt are really just complaints that anyone but them is in charge, or that the govt collects taxes or administers social welfare or stops ppl drunk driving

housing and health and law and order, lol well find me a govt anywhere who has ever sorted them. i bet that if you can find them, they didnt have a society set up like ours and that you wouldnt be keen for us to replicate the necessary conditions

so the anti-govt brigade are going to be shocked and surprised and furious no matter who gets in, because at the end of it all....it will still be the govt in charge.

and that lack of perspective is worth poking fun at

Sf potentially winning the most seats , during a boom. It’s absolutely mind blowing. Imagine what the odds on that would have been a year ago. Absolutely mind blowing !

Another lesson. #1 Don’t ruin the economy. #2 it’s “ the economy “ stupid? Its ‘ society Stupid “ as fg are finding out ...

• Advertisement

They failed.
    Working people are having a hard time while FG pat themselves on the back about the economy. And we will have a crash as the tax payer can't fund the rent of other tax payers forever.

Yeah I agree. It’s going back to be fascinating to see how this all goes. Even with a boom , the finances are so constrained due to insane spending and lack of taxation, revenue generation. What is going to give over the next few years. It’s like a different perfect stork brewing to that of the previous boom and previous crash. Actually I read a brilliant article about it in the Irish times earlier , will find and post here later

Well you read wrong. I was explaining the differences. Its actually in the post.

Fair enough my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    Let me start out by saying that I am not an FG voter. I'm not a member of the party, and I have no FG connections. I'm not even a big fan of the current FG government. In fact, I think Varadkar has shown very little leadership, and has performed poorly during the campaign so far

HOWEVER, I see no viable alternative to the current administration. Setting aside the incompetence of Harris, the lack of substance of Murphy, the gombeenish of Ring and Humpreys, etc, the validity of Varadkar, there is a group of experienced politicians, including Coveney, , McEntee, Donohoe, Bruton, McHugh, and to a much lesser extent Creed.

My main concern is to replace that experience team with a set of unknowns - Martin has extensive experience; but most of his front bench don't and they certainly don't have proven track record in finance, foreign affairs, etc.

No, we need an FG-Labour government. Replacing Harris, Murphy, and the like with some experienced politicians like Howling, Burton, Kelly, etc. would be a much stronger cabinet. When you strip away health and housing, FG have not done a bad job. And in reality, both health and housing are improving.

I do not have any time for my FG candidate, but I have learned that a GE vote is not a personal vote - it is a party vote. I'm not voting FF because in doing so I would be voting for tweaks to policy without the backing of experience.

What are your thoughts on Joe Duffy running for president?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Sf potentially winning the most seats , during a boom. It’s absolutely mind blowing. Imagine what the odds on that would have been a year ago. Absolutely mind blowing !

Another lesson. #1 Don’t ruin the economy. #2 it’s just “ the economy “ stupid. Its ‘ society Stupid “ as fg are finding out ...

For some people, including my own daughters, they all think that car bombs and shootings happen in Iran, Iraq and Syria.
    They don't know about it happening here or 100 miles up the road.
    That's the problem, everyone has moved on bar FF/FF.

whooosh!

the point being, matt, that the complaints that people make about the party/ies in govt are really just complaints that anyone but them is in charge, or that the govt collects taxes or administers social welfare or stops ppl drunk driving

housing and health and law and order, lol well find me a govt anywhere who has ever sorted them. i bet that if you can find them, they didnt have a society set up like ours and that you wouldnt be keen for us to replicate the necessary conditions

so the anti-govt brigade are going to be shocked and surprised and furious no matter who gets in, because at the end of it all....it will still be the govt in charge.

and that lack of perspective is worth poking fun at

That might be a comfort for people who support FG but don't like to believe they might be flawed.
    There is an anti policy crises brigade. Every criticism is policy based. Whereas we cant say the same of FG supporters who frequently ridicule others for not.

For some people, including my own daughters, they all think that car bombs and shootings happen in Iran, Iraq and Syria.
    They don't know about it happening here or 100 miles up the road.
    That's the problem, everyone has moved on bar FF/FF.
    Yeah look me voting or not voting for sf , their “ past “ would not influence my decision at all. I watched a documentary recently on the troubles , what they did to The Catholics up there , they brought it all on themselves... it was never going to pan out any other way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

caff wrote: »
    We've never had a non ff/fg gov. A lot of people are sick of it.
    Can't get worse than the recession really and we came out of it OK if fg are to be believed so **** it. Grand left SF coalition because there is no other option.

This is similar to the logic behind the vote for Brexit. The thought that a change can somehow fix the problems.

Sun Fein isn't going to fix the housing problem nor the health service. But people are looking and honing that a change will.

Can't blame people for wishing that, otherwise how does your vote count.

This is similar to the logic behind the vote for Brexit. The thought that a change can somehow fix the problems.

Sun Fein isn't going to fix the housing problem nor the health service. But people are looking and honing that a change will.

I don’t expect much from government here. But these ffg clowns have had decades in power , two booms now and look at what we have !

When UK Labour lost that big Red Line to the Brexiteers/ Tories from Liverpool to Middlesbrough, which they had held since the 1900s they finally came to the conclusion that they had in fact took those people for granted and ignored them.
    Hence the loss.

Perhaps this is that moment for FF/FG.

• Advertisement

That might be a comfort for people who support FG but don't like to believe they might be flawed.

my post was in response to your post, which was a response to my post in which i said id be voting lab/greens most likely

you are so fixated that anything you read only boils down to "FG supporters!" or agreement, and if im honest i dont think ive ever seen an example of anyone sufficiently agreeing with you that you couldnt find a way to use it to have another cut at FG. its unhealthy man!

Advertisement