Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm Voting for FG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ah this old chestnut. A former FG minister was found to have been corrupt as was a prominent friend of the FG party. How long in gaol did they serve. I can't remember.

Would that be anyone who gets continually voted in by his constituency.
    It's not like voters would vote in any convicted terrorists either.

FG seemed okay turning a blind eye on McCabe's treatment at the highest levels.

Graves Fitzgerald was hounded out of office over the McCabe controversy but vindicated in the Charlton tribunal.

She should have done a Gerry and denied ever being a member of the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Graves Fitzgerald was hounded out of office over the McCabe controversy but vindicated in the Charlton tribunal.

What about Shatter. FG ran him out also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

She misled the Dail , as was proved. Untenable, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yet again someone else is avoiding the obvious.

Was she vindicated about misleading the Dail or her Taoiseach, whom was also her party leader?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

McMurphy wrote: »

Was she vindicated about misleading the Dail of her Taoiseach, whom was also her party leader?

FG-Lay the blame on everyone else bar themselves. At long last people, and young people at that, are beginning to see through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

my post was in response to your post, which was a response to my post in which i said id be voting lab/greens most likely

you are so fixated that anything you read only boils down to "FG supporters!" or agreement, and if im honest i dont think ive ever seen an example of anyone sufficiently agreeing with you that you couldnt find a way to use it to have another cut at FG. its unhealthy man!

Nope. I was responding to voting to stick it to the anti government people.
    Then I responded to your follow up regarding anti government people. I explained that's anti FG government policy not people being anti government just 'cause.
    You are now twisting that. If you don't know the government and FG are one in the same I cant help you.
    If people are anti government it's due to bad policy. I think you know this..man.

Was she vindicated about misleading the Dail or her Taoiseach, whom was also her party leader?

Plus being sh*te at her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭threeball

FG, FF, SF and Labour won’t. The way to address it is to have the balls to introduce benefits caps and to revert to the way social housing was allocated in the past. The people who are on the list the longest housed first.

None of these parties will introduce caps and so the circle continues. I overheard (more blown into my ear) a conversation in Johnston’s yesterday of a woman no more than 17 with two boy and another on the way saying she hopes it’s a girl. Because it increases her chances of getting a house. Meanwhile her two crotch goblins were messing at the newspaper stand and she wasn’t paying attention to them.

You do realise that if she even bothers to vote she'll vote Sinn Fein. Maybe you miss the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

SF won't get close to 24pc or 20pc. My prediction is between 16-18pc That would maybe give them close to 30 seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    SF won't get close to 24pc or 20pc. My prediction is between 16-18pc That would maybe give them close to 30 seats?

Their Paddy Power handicap line is 24.5; is that 24 or 25? Anyway only picking up one or two. I think they'll do better, but probably no more than high 20s like you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

One other thing folks - the positive poll results for SF could actually hurt them

FG and anti-SF voters are likely to turn out in greater numbers; and perhaps as a result of complacency, SF voter turn out might be lower, which it always is.

I actually think this is good news for FG, and not so good news for FF because there is now a narrative planted that FF will ally with SF, even more so now that SF are polling well

Interesting times...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Maybe not the poll could force FG or FF into a PR manoeuvre that boosts SF. We shall see.

I don't think making a stance on refusal to even talk to SF looks good on any democratic party. Nobody buys the moral argument considering the records of those making it and most people just want to get on with things.
    What happened to all that 'stability' talk? Begs the question, so FG happily chose FF rather than doing what was best for Ireland? I mean if they'd happily let the chips fall were they may rather than speak to SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

There's a serious flaw in this argument, the rent some people are paying has spiralled completely out of control, but they're able to keep paying it regardless.

If they can pay the rent - they could in theory pay the mortgage (which in all likeliness wild prob be less than the rent), but having enough left over to also save the deposit is where it gets difficult for them I imagine.

I'm a home owner since 06, but would hate to be in position many renters are finding themselves in.

I'd counter by saying your argument is flawed. Remember when renting a house a person is not responsible for any repairs, refurbishment etc. and will get household items such as fridges, dishwashers etc provided for free and repaired for free in case of breakdown. A homeowner is financially responsible for all these things and things like painting, gardening etc.

If you can't afford to save a 10% deposit for a modest home you won't be able to afford to service the mortgage on that home and pay for its upkeep.

People need to take more personal responsibility for their finances in this country and set their aspirations for home ownership accordingly. Not everyone will be in a position to afford a 4 bed detached house in an attractive location.

Giving people easy access to credit that they can't service will sh*g the whole thing up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

threeball wrote: »
    You do realise that if she even bothers to vote she'll vote Sinn Fein. Maybe you miss the irony.

Michael Lowry (or formerly Noel Coonan ) like they all do. I worked for the council (not housing) and those two bombarded the office with Nelly has five children and is looking for a 10 bedroom mansion near her mother.

To add all the scumbags have team Lowry or Seamie Hannafin stickers on their windscreens. Uninsured Ford Focus was plastered in the former that crashed in a chase through the estates in Thurles. The car wasn’t stolen. It was driven by scumbags who were given it by their parents. AGS doesn’t prosecute teenagers who joyride.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

threeball wrote: »
    The health services in this country are down to the trade unions, not political parties. Any sign of change and they either strike or demand wage increases so it doesn't matter who you put in power the result will be the same until that nettle is grasped. Voting for SF and expecting them to change the health service isn't going to happen unless the tiger kidnap a few union heads.

Have you a shred of evidence for this?

I don't think making a stance on refusal to even talk to SF looks good on any democratic party. Nobody buys the moral argument considering the records of those making it and most people just want to get on with things.
    What happened to all that 'stability' talk? Begs the question, so FG happily chose FF rather than doing what was best for Ireland? I mean if they'd happily let the chips fall were they may rather than speak to SF.

Even Leo said developer's and bankers did more damage to this nation than IRA campaign
    We all know those who contribute heavily to party finances get access to ministers.
    Lobbying goes on all the time by business and union interests.
    All these people not elected by the people thus me hole martin banging on about SF being run by Shadowy figures is hyprocritical.
    SF has roughly the same party structure as FF.
    Background influences non elected is a feature of all democracies

Personally the best outcome for the nation is either FG/SF or FF/SF. SF running only 42 canidates. On a good day it will get 30.
    Irish politics needs a dynamic left wing party in power. Let's not deny though that Lab prevented a total riding of the poor during 2011-14
    Though there is about 40% of the electorate who think no austerity was possible or that anybody but them should pay !

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I don’t expect much from government here. But these ffg clowns have had decades in power , two booms now and look at what we have !

I remember the eighties. Ireland had come a long way in that time as we moved to a country based on economic growth.

The eighties were ****. There was no housing crisis then because everybody had to emigrate. I have foreign friends who are amazed when I tell them our government puts the homeless up in hotels.

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    All these people not elected by the people thus me hole martin banging on about SF being run by Shadowy figures is hyprocritical.
    SF has roughly the same party structure as FF.
    Background influences non elected is a feature of all democracies

Can you recall ever in the history of Sinn Fein, there ever being a leadership contest?
    They say the membership elect their leaders but that's like North Korea saying that Kim is voted in by 99 percent of the voters.

Has anyone been in charge of any party in a democracy as long as Gerry was?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I remember the eighties. Ireland had come a long way in that time as we moved to a country based on economic growth.

The eighties were ****. There was no housing crisis then because everybody had to emigrate. I have foreign friends who are amazed when I tell them our government puts the homeless up in hotels.
    Yeah because it doesn't have any emergency accommodation available ..

The eighties and the first part of the ninties were crap , we had a seventies boom ,got fierce cocky ,And had a "buy the election " party , as things went into a down turn ,
    Hhmm when did that last happen ,
    And it'll happen again ..

Ireland wants radical result ... But doesn't want change ...
    Put your head above the parapet to do something important and it'll be shot at,

Children's hospital that's been planned for 60 years .. boo
    Alan Shater (an arrogant but effective git) ,reforming the legal system ...boo
    Metro North ..... Boooo
    Health service reform ... Nah who am I kidding on that one ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Have you a shred of evidence for this?

It is well known that trade unions run the hospitals, not the "management".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Whoever Has the Maria bailey footage. Please release it now. We’ve waited long enough ;)

Anyone voting for Sinn Fein would do well to study their role in the Brexit debacle. They had their chance to represent their people who voted to stay in the EU and change the result of a vote in the houses of parliament that would have changed the entire course of Brexit. Instead they did the usual, stand on the sidelines and waffle. They also stood on the sidelines and made no attempt to reform the assembly in the North. This is what they do. Everything is cloak and dagger but nothing in the way of actual substance. They've had chances to make a difference but found it was easier to stand on the side and complain. What makes anyone thinks they'll make a difference here when they've proven to they couldn't be bothered represent the area thats kept them relevant for 70yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Choosing FF rather than SF is doing what is best for Ireland.

We saw once again last night the equivocation of Sinn Fein when it comes to the rule of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Poor Leo getting shafted by Noonan on the cusp of an election and Donald Tusk cancelled his visit to canvass with Leo. Dear me

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/noonan-backs-donohoe-to-be-fine-gael-leader-as-pressure-mounts-on-varadkar-38928193.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Poor Leo getting shafted by Noonan on the cusp of an election and Donald Tusk cancelled his visit to canvass with Leo. Dear me

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/noonan-backs-donohoe-to-be-fine-gael-leader-as-pressure-mounts-on-varadkar-38928193.html

Well in fairness I think Varadkar would rather he got voted out in his heart or hearts.he looks terrified at times.

Jaysus, not Donohoe. Varadkar is a dose but Donohoes unbearable to listen to

• Advertisement

Can you recall ever in the history of Sinn Fein, there ever being a leadership contest?
    They say the membership elect their leaders but that's like North Korea saying that Kim is voted in by 99 percent of the voters.

Has anyone been in charge of any party in a democracy as long as Gerry was?

Im pretty sure Bertie and cowen became leaders with no contest.
    Eamon de Valera led FF for over 3 decades . Not as long as Gerry but a long time

Advertisement