Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an upgrade / would an aero bike be overkill?

Options
  • 30-01-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

I'm half thinking of a new bike this year - if I hit my annual target early.

Currently I have a Cannondale Synapse (105 disc with upgraded Hunt wheels) and CAAD12 (Ultegra disc and Aksium wheels). Both are perfect condition so I'd only change for something which is a step up - I'd want Ultegra Di2, would only go for disc and would want a decent wheelset.

I don't race and have no ambition to (if I ever had an ambition to race it would be more long distance / ultra). Do a weekly club ride / planning at least 10 100k+ sportives this year.

I've been looking at a Canyon Aeroad (Di2 Disc with deep section carbon rims) but I'm wondering is there any point at all in going for something like this if I don't race at all. Came across a Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc which looks perfect but I'm wondering how much of an improvement it would really be on the Synapse.

So in short, what should I be looking at for as a non-racer in a 3-4000 ballpark that would be an upgrade on what I have?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on what you've said, my advice would be buy some extra time off work with the money you've mentioned (and if your employer allows it) and go cycling; you have a fine pair of bikes and i suspect any upgrade would be marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

based on what you've said, my advice would be buy some extra time off work with the money you've mentioned (and if your employer allows it) and go cycling; you have a fine pair of bikes and i suspect any upgrade would be marginal.

I've just resigned, that's why I hope to hit my annual target by the end of May! But I am thinking it's not worth it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you do so above, go to girona and go cycling.

You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

based on what you've said, my advice would be buy some extra time off work
    I've just resigned,

Jaysus, that was quick! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I'd start with a kick ass set of zipps or something and go from there. Found from my own window shopping for something similar it's not easy to find a really good high end di2 disc road bike with really good wheels at a good price, I guess they assume anyone in that market would probably have a decent set already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

If you like something, and you can afford it, then buy it!!
    It’s about what you like, not anyone else. My rishon goals would be similar to your own.

I’ve just bought the Aeroad with Di2, rim brakes, second hand. I just gave it a 100km spin last weekend and it is a huge step up from my Felt F6. The DT Swiss 60mm wheelset spin very freely, but I definitely felt the effect of cross winds on them a few times. Will have to buy a narrower section wheelset for windy days now! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

My standard reply to a thread like this is aero race bikes are almost by definition full on race geometry, if someone who buys one doesn't feel comfortable in a full on aero position the usual cure is to fit a heap of spacers under the stem, the end result is a poxy looking less aero bike which is still less comfortable than something lie the OPs synapse.

Sorry for the negativity OP but I've seen several cases of lads buying propels/aeroroads and leaving them in the shed and riding their defy/endurace.

My tip is buy some really nice wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Power meter is another good option for expenditure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would a power meter not get its best utility from someone who was training to be racing, though? the OP is not a racer.

The confinement has me bored and the CAAD12 disc is up for sale elsewhere.

I've decided to go for an upgrade. I had a Canyon Ultimate before and regret ever selling it so it is my natural choice.

https://www.canyon.com/en-be/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-disc-8.0-di2/2159.html?dwvar_2159_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY&quantity=1

I'm looking at sales in LBS around me & online but is there anything else I should be looking at in that price range? I'd like Ultegra Di2 disc, have a new pair of wheels on the way so not fussed on wheelset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

there's some really nice bikes on Merlin at the moment with some big discounts...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SB2007

That 3t Strada looks tasty on Merlins site

Thanks for the replies - both the 3T and the Eddy Merckx EM525 Endurance caught my eye on Merlin. I don't really need an endurance bike though as I love my Cannondale Synapse, and I'm concerned about the 1x on the 3T tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SB2007

I had a look at the gearing on the Strada 50 X 11-32 . That would work for me nicely , admittedly I would ride my other bike in mountains but that would get you around most Irish races . 11-32 wouldn’t be a big issue in gear jumps
    I can see how people might hate a 1by tough !! It’s more a luxury item in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

You haven't said what you want to "step up" to; A faster bike?
    A more comfortable bike?
    A bike that handles better for the type of cycling you do?
    A vanity/status bike?
    A bike that looks better?
    A bike that fits better?
    Maybe if you answer this yourself it will help you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If you want di2 this scott addict might be another option to the canyon for 100€ more https://www.bike24.com/p2298680.html or as an ex demo https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/ex-demo-scott-addict-se-disc-2019

TGD wrote: »
    You haven't said what you want to "step up" to; A faster bike?
    A more comfortable bike?
    A bike that handles better for the type of cycling you do?
    A vanity/status bike?
    A bike that looks better?
    A bike that fits better?
    Maybe if you answer this yourself it will help you decide.

Thanks - fair questions. I do club / solo / sportive riding (not a racer) and the Synapse while a very comfortable bike feels on the slow side. I've upgraded wheelset and tried the most aggressive fit possible.

I had an Ultimate before and it just felt nippier so I want to go back to something similar - certainly a slightly more racier geometry but not full aero. And in doing so I'd like to try electronic shifting.

So the question is more if there is anything that I should look at that is better than the Ultimate in a similar price range given that is my natural choice.

I like Canyon and have used two before but if there was something a bit "cooler" in a similar value range I'd go for it / or something similar for the same price that may be better e.g. Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

IMO. You're right about the Synapse, and you're right about the Canyon. There's a reason Canyon are so popular. You just can't beat their builds for price. That's a great spec on that one you're looking at. Any other comparable manufacturer, at regular RRP, is going to be mechanical ultegra and crappier wheels at that price point, so then you're looking at getting lucky in a sale with a one time only special offer, last year's model, one left in your size etc.

I'd buy the canyon. But for my money I'd ditch the heavy and pointless (:)) disc brakes and get the CF SLX frame, savage wheels, still with Ultegra Di2, but half a kilo lighter than your disc braked CF SL. Then you'll really be dancing away from that ponderous aul Synapse! :)

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/ultimate-cf-slx-8.0-di2/2162.html?dwvar_2162_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY&quantity=1

That looks great - but I've fallen for the marketing talk that I need a disc bike!

I'm going to go for the Canyon most likely.

Just need to sell the CAAD12 then hope the wife doesn't notice that the bike that used to be luminous yellow under the stairs is now stealth black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

If you like the way it looks and you will get enjoyment out of it then it's worth it.

But when it comes to aero bikes there's not much in it in terms of speed.
    If you look at the actual gains of an aero bike going a few seconds faster over the course of an hours ride it's not going to make any difference to you if you are not racing.
    It's you bodies mass that is mostly meeting air resistance.
    The real aero speed gains are from better body position which you can improve with flexibility exercises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Where's the caad for sale and what size is it?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Where's the caad for sale and what size is it?

It's a 54. I live abroad so it is for sale locally to me. In normal times I'd probably give the option to someone on here and I'd bring it home but who knows when that would be. Needs a bit of TLC as I built it myself but other than that it is essentially new

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I get the lure of Di2, racier position, and lighter frame, but I'm scratching my head at the aero requirement for non-time-sensitive occasions (even then). They are fugly looking to the extreme - personal perception of course - and harsher to ride than a proper mountain goat rothar, which is surely what you want on a sportive??

Second shout for the Ultimate CF SLX with rim brakes. Would you hunt down a recent R5 with good spec? That would give you a wallop of decent cred right there vs the whoosh-whoosh brigade infecting sportives up and down the country.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I get the lure of Di2, racier position, and lighter frame, but I'm scratching my head at the aero requirement for non-time-sensitive occasions (even then). They are fugly looking to the extreme - personal perception of course - and harsher to ride than a proper mountain goat rothar, which is surely what you want on a sportive??

Second shout for the Ultimate CF SLX with rim brakes. Would you hunt down a recent R5 with good spec? That would give you a wallop of decent cred right there vs the whoosh-whoosh brigade infecting sportives up and down the country.

I agree with you on the aero bike - I've gone off the idea. If you split road bikes into three main categories - endurance, race and aero, I'm looking for something on the race side.

I've been on disc brakes for a while and have a nice new set of wheels so reluctant to go back to rim (even if Ultegra rim brakes were perfect for good bike use in the past, I'd just like to be able to swap wheels around between my bikes etc).

Will take a look at the R5

Understand on the wheels - once you've moved over to disc, you've moved over to disc.

For a while I had a 10spd/11spd mix going on - became too frustrating to manage so moved the 10s to 11s to harmonise - stress gone.

I'm sure there's such thing as lightweight discs and the more expensive hydro brake setups gotta be saving a few grams in the right place? Still reckon they look naff compared to the clean lines of a rim brake setup.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Understand on the wheels - once you've moved over to disc, you've moved over to disc.

For a while I had a 10spd/11spd mix going on - became too frustrating to manage so moved the 10s to 11s to harmonise - stress gone.

I'm sure there's such thing as lightweight discs and the more expensive hydro brake setups gotta be saving a few grams in the right place? Still reckon they look naff compared to the clean lines of a rim brake setup.

I quite like the look of discs tbh, although for good weather riding rim brakes used to do me fine and there was no faffing around with bleeding etc.

The Ultimate I'm looking at is 7.5kg. I think Rose might do something even lighter. So for my use this is light enough

Yep, nice. Rose always seem to be a great shout. Pleasure to deal with apparently (no direct experience mind you).

Someone is coming to look at the CAAD tomorrow - if I accept what he is offering then it is decision time. Not finding anything that rivals the Canyon for the spec in that price range. Giant TCR on sale comes close, you are looking at almost 1000€ more, Cube Agree C62 closer in price but not as keen on that.

Rose XLite Four disc is the only other in the 3k+ price range with Ultegra disk Di2 that I've come across

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Have you thought about TCR frame and then a di2 groupset? If you already have nice wheels that you could use. Would only need bars, stem and saddle then.

Advertisement