Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an upgrade / would an aero bike be overkill?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

joey100 wrote: »
    Have you thought about TCR frame and then a di2 groupset? If you already have nice wheels that you could use. Would only need bars, stem and saddle then.
    I've actually been looking at this from Mantel

https://www.mantel.com/be-fr/giant-tcr-advanced-pro-0-disc

Includes a power meter and carbon wheels so possibly a bit better deal than the Canyon price wise. Missing the aero bars but I guess that wouldn't be the worst thing fit wise.

I haven't found a mechanic / LBS that I'm happy with where I live tbh and that is one of the things I didn't like about my CAAD12 (I built it myself and it always felt like it - my first bike build attempt), so I'm not entirely keen on doing another build

Has anyone actually been to Canyon in Germany?

I'm right between two sizes (S and M) - 1cm of inside leg or height changes the recommended size. Normally I'd take the smaller of the sizes, but I've had an M in the Ultimate before which is what I was assuming I'd go for.

Given the integrated aero bar & stem, and that I'd like to keep the bike for a few years, I'd like to get the best possible fit.

I live about 2.5 hours from their showroom (when things return to normal) so wondering if it would be worth going there to get the perfect fit / stem length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

If you get it with the wrong stem size can you just return the stem and they will send you a different size free of cost?
    I had heard this is possible but am unsure if it is true.

I've seen that elsewhere too so I'm guessing that you can.

It would be easier with just swapping a stem than a full aero integrated bar & stem I guess though

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

You can let them know what size cockpit you need at the time of ordering through the live chat, and they will swap it out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

yes, i sent back a 100mm stem and got a 120mm sent out, no charge to exchange, i think there is a time limit..maybe 6 weeks ?

Does anyone know a way of scouring dealers stock / online sites for a specific model bike? I'm thinking something like bikeexchange but it doesn't work as well in all countries.

I'm between a Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 (3299€ + delivery) and a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc 2019 - with carbon wheels and powermeter (3999€ in a few places, reduced as it is last year's model). I've seen the TCR in a few places at 2999 GBP but out of stock or wrong size.

If I could find one in my size at that price I'd snap it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Does anyone know a way of scouring dealers stock / online sites for a specific model bike? I'm thinking something like bikeexchange but it doesn't work as well in all countries.

I'm between a Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 (3299€ + delivery) and a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc 2019 - with carbon wheels and powermeter (3999€ in a few places, reduced as it is last year's model). I've seen the TCR in a few places at 2999 GBP but out of stock or wrong size.

If it’s any use to you (and this might be best discussed through adverts or DM) but I’ve the same spec as the TCR on a Propel Advanced Pro Disc with the same group and wheels in M/L which had 1 race and 1 training spin and wouldn’t be far off the money you’re willing to spend. It’s slightly too big for my geometry and although I’d get used to it, I’m not 100% on it. I know new is new but this really is 5 hours of riding off being new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

What size are you in Giant, M or M/L ?

https://www.mantel.com/giant-tcr-advanced-pro-0-disc M
    https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-tcr-advanced-pro-0-disc-2019.html M/L

Buy the Giant ( I ride Cannondale :))

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    If it’s any use to you (and this might be best discussed through adverts or DM) but I’ve the same spec as the TCR on a Propel Advanced Pro Disc with the same group and wheels in M/L which had 1 race and 1 training spin and wouldn’t be far off the money you’re willing to spend. It’s slightly too big for my geometry and although I’d get used to it, I’m not 100% on it. I know new is new but this really is 5 hours of riding off being new.
    Thanks for the offer - I am right on the lower end of the range in Giant's M/L sizing, and fit more in the middle on M (178cm) so I'm going to go for M if I go with Giant

• Advertisement

sy wrote: »
    Thanks, it is Mantel that I was looking at ordering from. Last year's models are down to that price on the Giant site too so I've checked with a few dealers close to me in case anyone has one lying around from last year, I'm sure a local dealer would be happy with cash for old stock in these times.

My original budget was closer to 3000€ than 4000€ though. I spotted the Pedal On one but not my size unfortunately, and I've also seen it in McConvey Cycles in Belfast down to 2999 GBP but out of stock. At that price it is almost the same as the Canyon I was looking at but with 42mm carbon rims, tubeless installed, a dual-sided power meter, and a Giant warranty which I believe is much better than Canyon's - so I think it would be a no-brainer to get the Giant if it was anywhere near in price.

I'm not in a rush though, so I may wait as the 2021 models have been announced and launch this month. The 2020 equivalent is a nice dark red colour (they've changed specs a bit so Advanced Pro 1 Disc) - so I may wait until June / beginning of July and try find a 2020 model below 4k.

(what will now become my winter / bad weather bike will still be a Cannondale...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Can't go wrong with a TCR - a much copied frame design with great racing pedigree. I think it's the clear winner over the fairly marmite Propel. 4K in these times is a brave decision for any man, but health to enjoy it, and empty roads to test it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with a TCR - a much copied frame design with great racing pedigree. I think it's the clear winner over the fairly marmite Propel. 4K in these times is a brave decision for any man, but health to enjoy it, and empty roads to test it :)

Absolutely agree here as lucky owner of both. Fine margins when racing drew me towards propel but love the geometry and ride feel of my TCR

Thanks for the feedback. It does look like great value at 3999 too. I'd guess you'd get 800+ if you wanted to sell the wheels.

At 2999 GBP, even if that is a lot of money, it is a great deal for Ultegra Di2, power meter and carbon rims. Would click order in an instant if I found it in stock anywhere at that price

Advertisement