Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Movie Walrus - World Premiere Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Pretty good movie from what I remember. Nocturnal animals.

Hachiko A Dogs Story

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I just want to start by saying i thought this movie was beautiful, really and truly. The use of music throughout I loved, the way it was shot from the dogs perspective at times was brilliant, i loved the story line and I loved the simplicity of the movie.

The breed are just gorgeous you smile just looking at them

My biggest problem with the movie and you will probably argue against this is the lack of empathy shown by some character towards each other at pivotal points in the movie. I get it was shown at times for the dogs perspective but it wasn't always and what they did on the human side wasn't near enough for me. In some ways i felt it was quite unbelievable, given the connections they had built with each other

The biggest emotional moment while truly hitting me, was very telegraphed if you were paying attention and the acting by that character was very sub standard in that moment, i actually liked their acting throughout besides

This movie did keep me on some level of emotion consistently but never quite reached the heights of others who had less consistency.

If i was rating beauty it'd be a 9 but emotionally for me its a 7 probably would have been higher only i realised what was coming and that is my fault for suggesting this category.

A film i do wish i had come across in another way but i have got to be true about how i felt throughout.

Emotional 7 and a movie 7 gives us 14

6 points for
    Quickbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Haichiko looks very interesting. Will be adding that to my watch list anyway.

The Impossible

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1649419/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The story of a tourist family in Thailand caught in the destruction and chaotic aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

The film opens with text telling the audience about the tragic event that occurred 26th of December 2004 so no one is left, in the dark about what is about to unfold. The opening to the film is very good as the director uses different audio and visual stimuli, to keep the audience rocking between a sense of calm and a sense of dread.

My favourite, the camera situated behind a happy family, looks out onto a gorgeous flat calm sea then we cut out to the ocean the camera looking back in at the family with low but menacing music playing, so we go from feeling calm to feeling unease in an instant. This is the tone for the first 20 minutes of the movie.

I thought this movie was brilliant but my favourite thing about it was the camera work, the director used really clever shots and filming techniques to convey a very powerful message to the audience. Of the destruction and devastation cause by the tsunami.

Both lead actors had very good performances with Ewan McGregor slightly shading it.

The story is based off a family who this happened to, the problem I have is the family were Spanish but the family in the movie weren't which took a little away from it for me.

Also while I feel the director got the message of destruction caused by the tsunami across, the movie didn't really cover anything too devastating emotionally, for me it felt a little too Hollywood which let itself down a bit.

Emotionally it gets a 7 and a movie rating of 8, 15 in total

7 points
    LadySkunk

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh first time I think I disagree with your rating Mick, I thought The Impossible was a very poor movie tbh.

On my own, I suppose emotional stuff isn't my forte, I did enjoy The Mountain Between Us though.

• Advertisement

Life Is Beautiful

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118799/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A Jewish father and his family are surrounded by Nazi death camps. Living in a hostile environment, he uses humor to shield his young son from the grim realities of war.

After the first 10 minutes of this movie I had to google a little about it as I felt at the time this was a tyre kicker entry but how wrong I was.

This is quite a simple movie in many ways, but there is much beauty in its simplicity, the writing for the most part, is nice warm and lighthearted.

The first hour of this movie is silly and over the top romantic a very enjoyable heartwarming watch we get a beautiful transition scene and the movie begins to tackle a deeper and darker story.

Life is beautiful is quite different to anything I’ve ever watched before, and maybe why I enjoyed it so much, there is a never ending contrast in the movie which helps convey a deeper side to it then it looks on the surface.

I do think this movie did suffer slightly from its PG rating and wasn’t able to tackle some darker aspects in the way I would have liked, I would love to have seen this style in a 15s as I think it would have worked also.

Still an excellent movie one I will recommend.

Emotional 7 Movie 8.5 total 15.5

8 points to
    Tusk

whooops missed 10 past i'll have to wait for 15 now :D

Lion

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741834/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A five-year-old Indian boy gets lost on the streets of Calcutta, thousands of kilometres from home. He survived many challenges before being adopted by a couple in Australia. 25 years later, he sets out to find his lost family.

This was a truly beautiful movie from start to finish and an excellent emotional journey.I didn’t do any research into this but was quite happy to find it on Netflix, so when it started off with subtitles I was surprised to say the least.

Now only half of this movie is in subtitles and the way the director used it to tell the differing parts of the story I thought was very clever, the directing as a whole in this movie was excellent, there was a moment inside the first 15 minutes after a of scenes that were full of noise, thee screen blacked out and there was complete silence that filled me with dread, also the way he tied the beautiful opening scenes into the end was exceptional. 2 of many things I could mention.

I thought the music throughout was amazing, kept the movie ticking over nicely when we were just watching some of the experiences unfold

Emotionally this pretty much ticked all the boxes for me and if I'm being honest I was quite surprised by that given its rated only as PG, I would tend to shy away from movies with this rating as they tend to be on the boring side so many I need to open my mind to this.

If i had some negatives, I did feel at one stage in the movie there was a little too much going on in the side plots that maybe weren’t explored enough but at the end I think it was still done well as it kept my emotional engagement up when the main plot line slowed down.

I also felt during the movie that some of the more sinister elements that were hinted at couldn’t be explored properly due to it being a PG rated movie but upon reflection I think I’m glad it couldn’t as it would have made the overall experience a much darker one in a movie that explored a wide range of emotions.

The movie is probably ever so slightly let down by no standout of acting performances on what was an amazing journey.

Just an excellent movie on so many levels I can't really do it justice only I would highly recommend people to go and watch it and A true story as well which is the cherry on top for me

Emotional rating 8.5/10 movie rating 8.5/10 total 17

9 points to
    GreenSpurs

The Hunt (Jagten)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741834/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A teacher lives a lonely life, all the while struggling over his son's custody. His life slowly gets better as he finds love and receives good news from his son, but his new luck is about to be brutally shattered by an innocent little lie.

When I came up with my categories for this walrus, I hadn’t really put too much thought into what I wanted from a film, this movie hit pretty much everything I knew I wanted and even things I didn’t know I wanted.

In another preview I wrote about a movie being an uncomfortable watch at times and I felt the same about The Hunt in parts, but it was done in a way which didn’t make me want to stop watching and I believe there was a big pay off for those scenes also.

I’m not even sure where to start. I pretty much loved everything about this movie, from the pacing of it, to its beautiful setting and everything in between.

This is a story which I have never seen tackled in such a way, I feel like it's a difficult story to tell but it manages to tell it in a fair way from all sides. The acting in this movie for me is very good which helped massively as I found all the characters to be very real and believable, something you just don't get in many movies.

Emotionally this movie kicked my ass a few times, with the added bonus of not always expecting it to come when it did. It was just perfect for me in what I was looking for from an emotional film, like it was an amazing journey throughout. I can’t actually say enough to give this movie the justice I feel it deserves but I would highly recommend everyone go watch it.

Emotional rating 10, Movie Rating 9 giving a total of 19

10 points to
    Also Starring LeVar Burton

Congrats to Also Starring LeVar Burton on his first place finish in this round and a big thank you from me to him for a film I really loved watching.

They say fortune favours the brave and given our 3 podium finishers had subtitles in there films I guess its true, I never expected to like these movies as much as I did when I started them.

Maybe I will start looking a little closer at them in future. :eek:

Thanks everyone and we may or may not be back around this time next week :D

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Oh first time I think I disagree with your rating Mick, I thought The Impossible was a very poor movie tbh.

On my own, I suppose emotional stuff isn't my forte, I did enjoy The Mountain Between Us though.

I'm not sure what the word is but I loved the techniques the director used to tell the story, a lot of in and out of happiness and dread as the film built, I thought when it actually hit was really powerful also, it was an extremely well made and shot film imo

Great reviews mick. Only saw a couple of those, there are a few I will be putting on my watchlist.

Congrats LeVar.

Nice! Delighted with that. I was actually worried going in to this, because I had only seen the film once, when it was first released in the cinema (about 7/8 years ago), whereas my other nominations were films I had seen multiple times, but I just remember being wowed when I saw the film and thinking it was really powerful, so I had just hoped that memory served me well and it would pay off when I sent in my nominations. Glad you enjoyed it Micks, I must give it a re-watch myself at some point as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Aww Necro I may be biased as it was my entry but it’s an emotional rollercoaster. It does such a good job of making you feel the sheer terror and devastation of what happened and shows the strength, resilience and determination of human beings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Chuffed you liked life is beautiful. It's an amazing movie.

tenor.gif?itemid=5822774

2 Hidden Gems

I've been trying to find these for years, and have found quite a lot. Of course, I'm sure there are lots still out there. Don't worry if I've already saw the movie, it will not affect my judgement. But I would like to see movies here which are not Hollywood blockbusters and ones that not many know about.

Welcome to round 3 reveal.

Difficult round to judge, apart from the top 2, all the movies were pretty evenly matched. Not one bad movie here I'm glad to say.

Where: 10th place / 1 point
    What: Long Weekend 1978
    Who:
    Spooks

Never heard of this movie, which is a good start. Tells the story of a husband and wife who go camping and disrespect nature which starts to fight back. A strange premise but it works pretty well.
    A horror, this movie works by building tension, kind of like what you don’t see is more terrifying. Nice setting and I do like movies with few casts. The pace is okay but on the slow side given its runtime of 1 hour 30 mins.
    What brings the movie down in my opinion are the characters, neither are likeable and you'll be rooting for nature by the end. Maybe that’s how it was intended to be, I'm not sure. All in all, a decent movie but far from brilliant. My Rating 6

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079482/

Trailer:

Where: 9th place / 2 points
    What: The Florida Project 2017
    Who:
    Persopoly

Another movie I’ve not heard of. It is basically about a 6 year old girl and her single mother in a run down apartment complex in the backdrop of World Disney resort. They struggle to make ends-meat and avoid homelessness. I wanted to like this movie more than I did but it just didn’t strike the correct cords. By no means a bad movie but maybe drama is not for me. The acting is good, especially the younger cast. Willhem Dafoe does a good job as support cast. For 1 hour and 50 mins, the pace is surprisingly good. The directing is fine, music better than average and overall a decent fare if drama is your thing, unfortunately not really for me. My Rating 6

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5649144/

Trailer:

• Advertisement

Where: 8th place / 3 points
    What: Housebound 2014
    Who:
    LeVar Burton

Hadn't seen this movie and learning it was a horror comedy, wasn’t really expecting much. In this movie, a young woman, who has gotten into a lot of trouble with the police, is placed under house arrest with her mother. While there she finds someone living in the walls of the house and learns of what happened there before her parents moved in.
    I thought the acting here was really good, especially the 2 female leads. The story itself is rather original if a bit ropey. I think what really shines is the character development, which is rare for this genre. There is a fair amount of horror in the first half which turns more comedy in the second. This is maybe where the movie is let down slightly. It starts off at a good pace, the middle third is slowish, picks up well again for the final third. Possibly a tad over run at 1 hour 50 mins. Overall a decent movie but I've seen better. My Rating 6.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3504048/

Trailer:

Hype hype hype

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Haven't seen any of these so far :)

Where: 7th place / 4 points
    What: Boy A 2007
    Who:
    Irishejit

Another drama, which seems to be the theme of this category me. A man, who, along with a friend, killed a young girl years earlier, is released with a new identity. As he tries to build a new life, his new friends eventually find out about his past. Let me start by saying, if you like this premise and drama, you will likely love this movie. I found it disturbing at times, giving it wasn’t a Hollywood movie, it felt really real. Acting is great as is the directing. It paces itself nicely. I think it was a little too predictable though. A lot of the story is told in flashbacks, which works really well. As I said, not really for me but a great movie if you like the genre. My Rating 6.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078188/

Trailer:

Oh I like the look of that one.

Whereabouts did you watch that Kol? Streaming service or the naughty place we can't mention :D

Whereabouts did you watch that Kol? Streaming service or the naughty place we can't mention :D

What can't we mention?

What I've learned based on how I've scored in their 2 rounds, Kolido is incredibly wrong about everything when it comes to ranking films. ;)

Housebound deserved better, and you should all go watch it, because its bloody fantastic.

The latter I believe, not many of these were on netflix. Might be on Prime though.

What can't we mention?

If I have to find a.... oh what do they say on the soccer forum...

A recipe :D

• Advertisement

Where: 6th place / 5 points
    What: The Clovehitch killer
    Who:
    Necro

I have not seen this but have heard of it. A 16 year old suspects his father of being a serial killer and sets out, with a friend, to find out the truth.
    Not your average serial killer movie as there are no killings as such, which I quite liked. Decent acting, especially from the younger cast. Pace is fine in this. The setting, a small American town, I like this also. You might expect some gruesome scenes but nothing like that here, which is good. It’s quite predictable I would say but the ending I thought was really good, wasn’t expecting it. A good movie, not much more to say. My Rating 6.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6269368/

Trailer:

Advertisement