Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a motorbike second hand

Options
  • 31-01-2020 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Any advices when buying a motorbike second hand? Things to check? Paperwork to get done? I have 0 experience in this sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

I presume it's a private sale?

Take someone with who knows a bit about bikes if you can.

Ask on here if anyone knows the bike, you'd be surprised!

Do a bit of research on the bike you're going to see, known faults, recalls etc

Owner should have registration cert, if not I'd walk away.

Common sense stuff, don't arrange to meet in carparks or out of the way places, owners home preferably.

Haggle,haggle,haggle!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Firefork

Look out for the usual banana skins

Warped discs . Headstock bearings
    Sticking callipers ,fork seals

And name on the logbook
    And frame numbers match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You can Google a check list of things to look for when buying a bike. But also search for known issues with that bike model.

Meeting in a car park is standard now a days though. Just make sure it's one with people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Philipx wrote: »
    I presume it's a private sale?

Take someone with who knows a bit about bikes if you can.

Ask on here if anyone knows the bike, you'd be surprised!

Do a bit of research on the bike you're going to see, known faults, recalls etc

Owner should have registration cert, if not I'd walk away.

Common sense stuff, don't arrange to meet in carparks or out of the way places, owners home preferably.

Haggle,haggle,haggle!!! :P

Not a hope would I bring anyone to where my bike is kept, you want it you're meeting me in a public place, you'll find 99% of bike sellers feel the same. It's not a car its incredibly easy take a bike.

OP if you intend to test ride it have cash and gear with you. Remember you drop it you bought it.
    If the seller asks to meet in a supermarket carpark or petrol station that's for their protection.
    Tell the seller you're bringing mates, some dudes would get spooked by a random group of guys showing up.
    Check frame for cracks, wheels for obvious buckles, tyres, chain for slack/ wear, disc warps, that all nut/bolts are tight, vin matches vin on book, if it has fairings they aren't broken/ cracked badly, check suspension. If you can cold start it preferably.
    Remember while the seller wants to sell it's still their bike and their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

zubair wrote: »
    Meeting in a car park is standard now a days though. Just make sure it's one with people around.

Yep, but wouldn't recommend meeting at night either, no-one's going to see where mu bike's kept unless I know them well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Make sure the seller is the owner. I came across some chancer selling a bike about 2 years back and he said he never got around to sending off the cert to change the ownership on it. He could have been plodding about with no insurance or tax for god know how long. As others have said have a friend with you.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check for Finance owing, bent forks/frame.
    Crash damage on pegs/pillion pegs. handlebar ends and levers.
    Tyre wear/condition.
    Chain/sprocket wear.
    Engine cases good no leaks or cracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

To add. Check what it will cost to insure BEFORE buying it. Many a biker has bought and only then, discovered it is to expensive to insure !

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Just buy from a shop if you don't have the experience. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid at least you have some sort of come back. JP motorcycle have a good selection. I bought my bikes from Scotts bikes, Mutts Nuts (they can be a bit pricey) and Bray Honda. No issues whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Thanks everyone for the answers, very helpful. In terms of documentation paperwork, do we have to sign anything? What paperwork should I get from him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Seller should have one of these in their name (unless they are a business) You both complete it and he posts it off. Photograph it before leaving is a good idea. He shouldnt give it to you as if you delay sending it in, he gets any fines as the registered keeper

Get a receipt to prove you have paid for it, stops any issues.

Car-Logbook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

MSVforever wrote: »
    Just buy from a shop if you don't have the experience. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid at least you have some sort of come back. JP motorcycle have a good selection. I bought my bikes from Scotts bikes, Mutts Nuts (they can be a bit pricey) and Bray Honda. No issues whatsoever.

Way more than a couple hundred, most dealers in Ireland have huge mark ups on second hand bikes. There was a cbr 600 f3 up for over 3k from a dealer.
    Way better value in private sales.
    You can tell in 2 minutes whether a bike owner is legit or someone to run a mile from because it's such a small niche market here. Theres a lot love and baby their bike, a lot drive them to death and some who treat them like junk. Easy tell which is which from a quick chat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

As some of the lads say, consider buying from a dealer unless you have a mate who's well clued in to sus the bike out. Tbh there's a lot of sh1tty examples for sale on the 2nd hand Irish market so buyer beware.
    I bought my first bike from JP`s and having the warrenty was useful, it came in handy when the bike strangely smelled of fish and wouldn't start five miles outside edgewardstown lol.
    Consider a decent well fitting lid, spend a few quid here. The market has improved in this regard from when I started out when arai and shoei were the only "quality" options. Well they still are but there is great value and protection from some mid price lids these days too.
    Good luck and shiny side up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If you know nothing about bikes it is vital that you bring someone who knows what to look for and check it out for you. The best advice I can offer is to buy the cleanest, lowest mileage example of the bike you want even if this means stretching your budget a bit. If you are a total newbie, try and buy a newer bike that comes with ABS and fuel injection - both are common on bikes now and will keep you safe and keep your bike reliable.

I disagree on the subject of buying a bike in a carpark or fuel station - I understand that people need to feel secure but too many people have been robbed or sold dodgy bikes in carparks and I prefer to deal with people who trust me enough to meet me at least in their driveway. If you don't like how the seller treats you or you get a bad feeling just walk away.

Buying from a dealer brings you a little more protection in terms of legal recourse if something goes wrong or the bike isn't as it should be. It doesn't mean that people haven't been sold dodgy bikes by dealers and you should still get someone who knows bikes to check it over - I've seen bikes with square tyres and loose chains being sold from showrooms and if the buyer doesn't spot it, the seller isn't going to fix it.

If you haven't done your IBT, find a good trainer and pick their brains as well. Consider getting a course of advanced riding lessons and be safe. See you on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Well, I was so excited and ended buying a bike to a guy registered to another guys name. And eh gave me no receipt, and refused to return me the money once I realized I what I did was stupid. He even said I was wasting his time, after I went all the way from Dublin to Kerry, but he never said the bike wasnt even at his name, or it had a few nicks here and there. I wish I could report this guy somewhere, apparently that is his business, he flips bikes but doesn't even changes the owner, so he is not responsible for anything. Luckily he gave me the previous owners contact info, to asure everything is OK.
    I wouldn't do it again, but I guess the excitement betrayed me. Now I will take for inspection, and start getting good gear and riding step by step. Thanks everyone for the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What bike did you buy? Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Claud 14.7 to 1

- Take someone who knows about bike mechanics as they can probably find obvious issues very quickly.
    - Service history and maintenance history are important.
    - Test ride is also important.
    - All documentation, registation, MOT etc. also important.
    - You might want to buy second hand from a dealer with warranty, but even still it's not 100% guaranteed to be problem free and of course most likely will be more expensive. If they have a good reputation with good reviews online etc., I should expect lower risk this way.

Advertisement