Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to work a Saturday external event after handing in notice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

joeguevara wrote: »
    Although the OP has had their question clearly answered, it should be noted than a new employer can only request a reference or contact a referee from the referees provided by the applicant. They can’t ring up or email everyone on the CV.

Also, if you are in employment and moving without your employer knowing, a different referee is normally used.

That is very interesting. In reality, what is to stop a new employer phoning whomever they choose on the applicants CV?

If the op moves again in 12 months time, wouldn’t his/her current employer be the one most likely contacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Dav010 wrote: »
    That is very interesting. In reality, what is to stop a new employer phoning whomever they choose on the applicants CV?

If the op moves again in 12 months time, wouldn’t his/her current employer be the one most likely contacted?

Data Protection prohibits a new employer contacting anyone to access personal data without the consent of the person. If they choose to disregard that then it’s a bigger issue.

References are different though than confirmation of employment. As part of an offer the new company may make it a condition that the reference is provided by the most recent employer.

Although I am surprised how often employers provide reference/employment details when requested by companies who are seeking a reference without checking with the person whether they have consented to this.

Data Protection prohibits a new employer contacting anyone to access personal data without the consent of the person. If they choose to disregard that then it’s a bigger issue.

References are different though than confirmation of employment. As part of an offer the new company may make it a condition that the reference is provided by the most recent employer.

Although I am surprised how often employers provide reference/employment details when requested by companies who are seeking a reference without checking with the person whether they have consented to this.

Employers could be sued for saying something derogatory about an employee, but in reality, are quite prepared to answer that killer question during a phone call. So I doubt DP concerns would prevent many from taking a phone call.

Employers could be sued for saying something derogatory about an employee, but in reality, are quite prepared to answer that killer question during a phone call. So I doubt DP concerns would prevent many from taking a phone call.

That was my point. Employers rarely even think about Data Protection when a reference is requested. For example I have never been asked by anyone did I consent to a particular company/person requesting access to my personal data. They would have known they were referees but wouldn’t know specific companies.

If it transpired that an employee lost an opportunity due to a breach of data protection (no consent) then it is an issue. But my point was that prospective employers can’t contact companies and request personal information without being authorised to do so.

That was my point. Employers rarely even think about Data Protection when a reference is requested. For example I have never been asked by anyone did I consent to a particular company/person requesting access to my personal data. They would have known they were referees but wouldn’t know specific companies.

If it transpired that an employee lost an opportunity due to a breach of data protection (no consent) then it is an issue. But my point was that prospective employers can’t contact companies and request personal information without being authorised to do so.

As a matter of interest, how many employers do you think keep contemporaneous notes of phone calls they receive about former employees? And how many prospective employers tell employees they didn’t hire about the content of those calls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you signed an actual contract ? Is there a probation period.
    Done jobs fall through, don’t burn your bridges

As a matter of interest, how many employers do you think keep contemporaneous notes of phone calls they receive about former employees? And how many prospective employers tell employees they didn’t hire about the content of those calls?

Prospective employers usually take notes of reference calls. A lot are on a template reference call document. They would be required to provide to the data subject if a data access request was submitted. Jobs are offered usually subject to reference.

But anyway, my original point was in response to a post that said his new employer could contact current. I pointed out that they would be restricted to only contacting named referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

If the date you have agreed to work is the 8th of February let them know now that you won't be there so they can plan for your absence. I all fairness I have managed plenty of operations and never expected anyone that has handed their notice in to do any extra hours from what I can see your notice should be discharged by that date so you should have no problem.

Advertisement