Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC Marathon 2020

Options
  • 31-01-2020 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested or registered or what? I missed the goddamn GfA application and I've just thrown the hat in for the open lottery. Don't know if I want to get in or not. One major downer is that I'll have to fly back on Sunday evening.........

Bank manager hasn't been informed yet, but the wife has and she's on board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Put in GFA application yesterday. My time is from a non NYRR race so not holding out much hope for entry. I think if not accepted it follows over to the lottery. Anyone know the odds for getting a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Q7 wrote: »
    Put in GFA application yesterday. My time is from a non NYRR race so not holding out much hope for entry. I think if not accepted it follows over to the lottery. Anyone know the odds for getting a place?

My 2016 one was a Non NYRR race and I got in no problem. Thought it was Jan 31st as opposed to 30th.....

Much better chance of getting in with QT than open lottery. I did put down my estimated time and included a link to a recent sub 3...... and I gave 10$ to their charity. Maybe I should have pushed the boat out to 20 bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parkrun

Q7 wrote: »
    Anyone know the odds for getting a place?
    16-18%
    Have to make sure I have 358 dollars in my race entries account by 25th Feb, just in case :)

I don't like these lotteries for marathons, I'd much prefer a 'first come first served' system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Itziger wrote: »
    My 2016 one was a Non NYRR race and I got in no problem. Thought it was Jan 31st as opposed to 30th.....

Much better chance of getting in with QT than open lottery. I did put down my estimated time and included a link to a recent sub 3...... and I gave 10$ to their charity. Maybe I should have pushed the boat out to 20 bucks.

The time qualified entry for non NYRR races shut down after 20 minutes yesterday saying that they had reached the limited number of entries. Wondering if you got confirmation email that your entry was "done" means you are in subject to the time being verified?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Threw hat in the ring in the lottery, don't care if i get in to be honest. I did it in 2017 and the Queensboro Bridge finished me, feels like I have unfinished business there. 348 dollars is ridiculous,but what a race to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just in the process of filling in the application!
    With flights and hotels any saving doing a DIY application (already at $345 just for a lottery position) or am I better to look to one of the travel companies..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just in the process of filling in the application!
    With flights and hotels any saving doing a DIY application (already at $345 just for a lottery position) or am I better to look to one of the travel companies..

You would be north of €1500 not including flights and entry fees using one of the tour operators. Only good thing about it is the guaranteed entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

You would be north of €1500 not including flights and entry fees using one of the tour operators. Only good thing about it is the guaranteed entry.

Between €1900 and €2200 all in...
    Transfers from airport and to race start as well..

So when could a body expect to hear about the general lottery success/failure? I suppose it takes a few days or maybe more. Do they email you?

So when could a body expect to hear about the general lottery success/failure? I suppose it takes a few days or maybe more. Do they email you?
    26th February is the draw I believe

• Advertisement

no luck this year

ISOP wrote: »
    no luck this year

Me neither. To be honest, I'm happy for two reasons. First the financial, flights were 800 return each and then accommodation and so on and I'd have been in a cab to JFK a few hours after the end of the race......

Maybe some other year when the Sunday is the beginning of the All Saints week break as it was in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

It's a no for me too. Was going to be a stretch doing Chicago in October, credit union are just about still talking to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

So I got an entry in lottery, now the fun part of booking flights etc.

If anyone has any tips or know good options for week there please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

sheldon16 wrote: »
    So I got an entry in lottery, now the fun part of booking flights etc.

If anyone has any tips or know good options for week there please let me know

Everything you need to know about the race

Correction - This is the URL I meant to post.. APologies

https://www.runarweb.com/nycm_e.php

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Nialler73 wrote: »

Everything you need to know about the race

Correction - This is the URL I meant to post.. APologies

https://www.runarweb.com/nycm_e.php

Thanks a mil

Test

Biwot-and-Me-Post-NYC-Marathon.jpg

The above is a photo I got on the day after the NYC marathon of 2015 with the winner Stanley Biwot. Randomly met him and Mary Keitany and bagged a pic or two. Wife had my medal in her bag.

In this $hitty year of no racing it might be nice to remember these happier events and moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The above is a photo I got on the day after the NYC marathon of 2015 with the winner Stanley Biwot. Randomly met him and Mary Keitany and bagged a pic or two. Wife had my medal in her bag.

In this $hitty year of no racing it might be nice to remember these happier events and moments.

No photos of the session the night before? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Will hopefully use my entry for next year now, haven't decided which year I'll use it. In fairness they've given plenty of options. Hopefully Chicago will offer the same choices as I have entry for that too. USA just seems too out of control to be thinking of travelling in 2020

• Advertisement
Advertisement