Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo and Breaking Carbon Bikes

Options
  • 31-01-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Trying to get a feel for how often this happens or whether it is largely a modern wives tale.

If you've used Turbo trainers a lot with carbon frame and never broken anything, mention it here. Likewise if you've broken something while on the turbo state what it is.

To get the ball rolling I've mainly used a Planet X year after year since 2013 on a Turbo and never broken anything.

I've used a Rose Xeon CW a lot less and twice broke a saddle... a seat stay went at the same place both (2015 and this year) times while on the turbo. I do wonder if the saddle was stronger would something else have gone instead, hence the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I use the turbo a good bit. From quick look at my training, about 70hrs on zwift and 852 sessions on trainer road, these would be at least an hour. So easily over 900 hours on a bike on the turbo, over the last 5/6 years. Never broke anything, used few different bikes, all carbon, and never any issue at all. Don't really do out of the saddle sprints and wouldn't put out huge power in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I'm the same too, never do out of the saddle on Turbo and even when doing 30 sec intervals power would be mid range

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I broke a bedside lamp by falling off a set of rollers one time.

Does that count?

Also gave my dear old mother a massive static electricity shock as she walked past me, as the rollers were sitting on the very finest 1980s nylon carpet.

Not really but if you told me you broke your ass I would have accepted it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

8valve wrote: »
    I broke a bedside lamp by falling off a set of rollers one time.

Does that count?

Also gave my dear old mother a massive static electricity shock as she walked past me, as the rollers were sitting on the very finest 1980s nylon carpet.

Only if it was a carbon lamp

• Advertisement

I know lots of people turbo here and most own carbon frames. Nobody ever broke anything on the bike during a turbo session ???

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I know lots of people turbo here and most own carbon frames. Nobody ever broke anything on the bike during a turbo session ???

Never, my planet x pro carbon is 10 years old, about 50,000 km on the road and a few thousands km on the turbo, last year I crashed with it at 50kph it bounced along the road and ripped the saddle and broke the handlebars but the frame didn't get a scratch, even the garmin survived that one, then used it all winter, personally I think some carbon bikes are stronger than we give them credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Not considered good practice by the bike companies. You may not wish to admit to doing it if claiming frame damage under a warranty.

https://road.cc/content/feature/216681-it-okay-use-your-bike-turbo-trainer

That said I use an old Dolan carbon frame in a turbo and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Canyon have changed their ruling on turbo use now it's all good!

Sure their bikes are all over zwift commercials ;)

I've put in 5500km on my Canyon with turbo.

Advertisement