Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TODAY IS BREXIT DAY, THE TIME HAS COME ....

Options
  • 31-01-2020 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭

It's BREXIT day in the UK, so how do we feel here in the Republic of Ireland?

Happy & glad, Mad or sad?

A momentous day for these islands, and even though we're not actually in the UK we will of course be seriously impacted due to our geography and our trade patterns with our next door neighbours.

So how do you feel? Happy or sad, or maybe you couldn't care less (seeing as it's not our problem).

The people of the UK (as a whole) have spoken, the United Kingdom is leaving the EU at 11pm, but....

Leaving the EU = What a massive risk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 26 minggatu

Germany: Small village of 80 set to become new geographic centre of EU due to Brexit
    The small German village of Gadheim, in the municipality of Veitschochheim in North-Western Bavaria, is set to become the new geographic centre of the European Union due to the United Kingdom's looming exit from the bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hungry. Lasagne for dinner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's BREXIT day in the UK, so how do we feel here in the Republic of Ireland?

Happy & glad, Mad or sad?

A momentous day for these islands, and even though we're not actually in the UK we will of course be seriously impacted due to our geography and our trade patterns with our next door neighbours.

So how do you feel? Happy or sad, or maybe you couldn't care less (seeing as it's not our problem).

The people of the UK (as a whole) have spoken, the United Kingdom is leaving the EU at 11pm, but....

Leaving the EU = What a massive risk.
    Aren't there a tonne of threads on this already?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Still struggling to get my head around the fact that they voted to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Why are you shouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't say I'm worried as such, but there is a mild bit of concern.

I live in a border area, cross it almost daily.
    Work in the North, live in the South.
    The region I live in relies a lot on the free movement of people/goods across this border and for it to be frictionless.

Any physical borders or tariffs could have very serious repercussions for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Think they are carazy and its sad but sure will give them 10 years. I think they will end up going bust, finally realise the huge mistake they made have to go hand out to the IMF for a bailout like they did in the 70s and then rejoining the European Union.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think those who are saying "good riddance" don't realise the extent of trade between Ireland and the UK.

You can hate the Brits all you want, but we need them buying things from us, and we buy a lot of stuff from them that might not be as easy to get elsewhere for same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

easypazz wrote: »
    Why are you shouting?

Nigel shouts, heck everybody shouts when it comes to BREXIT, every day outside Westminster & on TV people are shouting Pro or Anti Brexit slogans
    ....and today is the day, not that I agree with Brexit, but it is a momentous day in British, Irish and EU history!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Can't say I have any particular feelings one way or the other.

However, there is no getting around the fact that the EU as an organisation is not the organisation which the UK joined. The organisation progressed from being the European Economic Community as it was in 1973 with, as the name implies, an economic emphasis, through the European Community, and then the European Union. The arguments about the economic problems that the UK will face as a result of leaving are valid enough, but the EU is no longer just about the economy either. Given all the various opt-outs which exist, such as not being part of the Euro currency, or not being part of the Schengen zone, or whatever, I'm a little surprised there was no option to keep in at least the EEC parts of the concept which were less controversial in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Boris to make a speech on the TV @10pm tonight.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Brexit thread is here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement