Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X570 boards good investment for future upgrades?

Options
  • 31-01-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi All

About to buy a motherboard and it was going to be ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) model and at around €200+ my finger is pausing on the buy button for two days!

Could any of you who have either X570 or considered one, share your opinion?

My rationale was to future proof my board investment with next gen AMD (not sure this is possible any more lol) but it's a lot of money and I'd like to knock 3 years from it.

Im blue in the face from reviews and it's taken ages to decide on this board as it is.

Too much choice out there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Don't own one (I'm still on 1150 :eek:) but I can say some things:

When AMD initially launched Ryzen, they promised socket compatibility until the end of 2020.

There will be at least one more board after X570 to use AM4. This will be for CPUs coming this year, using the Zen 3 architecture. There may be a Zen 3+ or not. We don't really know at this point.

It's pretty likely that with Zen 4 however AMD will move to a new socket. There have been hints that the next design will use some sort of active interposer to assist with inter-die communication (QoS, I guess, sort of?). This would almost certainly be completely incompatible with AM4.

So, assuming that to be true, then your upgrade path will likely end at a hypothetical 4950X, which is probably still going to be a 16-core design. If you don't think that's enough for you, or you want other, as yet unknown platform features, then maybe pickup something cheaper.

Either way, unless you need SLI support or lots of NVME storage, X570 isn't really useful. Most gaming machines for example don't reach the limits of B450.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Serephucus wrote: »
    Don't own one (I'm still on 1150 :eek:) but I can say some things:

When AMD initially launched Ryzen, they promised socket compatibility until the end of 2020.

There will be at least one more board after X570 to use AM4. This will be for CPUs coming this year, using the Zen 3 architecture. There may be a Zen 3+ or not. We don't really know at this point.

It's pretty likely that with Zen 4 however AMD will move to a new socket. There have been hints that the next design will use some sort of active interposer to assist with inter-die communication (QoS, I guess, sort of?). This would almost certainly be completely incompatible with AM4.

So, assuming that to be true, then your upgrade path will likely end at a hypothetical 4950X, which is probably still going to be a 16-core design. If you don't think that's enough for you, or you want other, as yet unknown platform features, then maybe pickup something cheaper.

Either way, unless you need SLI support or lots of NVME storage, X570 isn't really useful. Most gaming machines for example don't reach the limits of B450.

Thanks very very much for the great post and all the detail, I really appreciate it!

I had been reading about amd and the potential new socket design and I guess I was trying to get the most out of the board but I really don't think SLI or NVME is going to be something that will really be on my in my budget in the short term and I think 3700X is all ill be using for the foreseeable future.

From what you said, it's probably throwing away money at the moment to buy an x570 and I'm glad I asked the question!

I had it in my head that it would be easier to plug and play a ryzen 3700 on an x570 out of the box. Know its just a bios update on the other boards though.

Just need to pick a board! This evenings homework! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Recently did an upgrade to my PC and with Ryzen 5 3600 with an Asus Strix B450 board

https://www.asus.com/ie/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/

Found it did everything I needed (although no wifi but I had a card to use) and have plenty of support.

The other option I was looking at was the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (Max for the 3rd gen ryzen support out of the box).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Same as above - I can see myself upgrading to 4000-series 8 core but not any higher.
    X470 was a temptation but tbh I should replace rather than augment drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Had this dilemma this week myself, in the end I compromised and went x470 (MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max) for the same money I'd have spent for B450.

• Advertisement

Had this dilemma this week myself, in the end I compromised and went x470 (MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max) for the same money I'd have spent for B450.

Kinda tempted by the route you took. The X470 boards seem to be close to the B450 higher end boards.

A nice wet day for googling and going through pc part picker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I had narrowed B450 boards down to Tomahawk Max and Mortar Max and was leaning towards to mortar because I wanted 2 x m2 slots. Didn't need wifi or bt, otherwise the Gamic AC carbon would have been on the list too.

X570 would either have been asus tuf gaming x570-plus vs asus prime x570-p vs Gigabyte X570 AORUS elite but they're all a good bit pricier.

Then I found the X470 Gaming Plus Max for £99 on CCL and it seemed to be the best of both worlds.....

Though I did end up getting it from Amazon.fr for an extra €5 because they were the cheapest place for me to pick up my 3600 too.

I had narrowed B450 boards down to Tomahawk Max and Mortar Max and was leaning towards to mortar because I wanted 2 x m2 slots. Didn't need wifi or bt, otherwise the Gamic AC carbon would have been on the list too.

X570 would either have been asus tuf gaming x570-plus vs asus prime x570-p vs Gigabyte X570 AORUS elite but they're all a good bit pricier.

Then I found the X470 Gaming Plus Max for £99 on CCL and it seemed to be the best of both worlds.....

Though I did end up getting it from Amazon.fr for an extra €5 because they were the cheapest place for me to pick up my 3600 too.

Cheers for the info. I've a good lot of gift cards from Christmas on my amazon account to use up so I must check.

Need Wi-Fi though but I'm looking at the same boards as you mentioned. The X470 at that price is very good.

Well ware!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

amadablam wrote: »
    Cheers for the info. I've a good lot of gift cards from Christmas on my amazon account to use up so I must check.

Need Wi-Fi though but I'm looking at the same boards as you mentioned. The X470 at that price is very good.

Well ware!

Can you not use home plugs?

Advertisement