Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless light switch

• 31-01-2020 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a system which will (probably) consist of a sender and receiver pair for turning on a separate light. I don't want to have to turn the light on/off via a phone app and nor do I want to change switch plate.

What I am looking for is when I turn on the switch at the wall is for a transmitter to detect the voltage input and then send a signal to the receiver to switch on. When the light switch turns off, the voltage at the transmitter will drop and it will then send a signal to the receiver to switch off too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Have you considered Philips Hue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

2011 wrote: »
    Have you considered Philips Hue?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

No - I'm using LED strip lighting. I was hoping that Sonoff or Shelly would have something.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I've taken a look at their products and it seems to switch it on you need to send a signal via the phone or the supplied control switch. I just want a transmitter to send a signal when the wall switch is pressed as normal. The bridge doesn't seem to be able to sense an input voltage via the mains lighting circuit and then tell the strip to turn on.

I've got a preexisting light setup which I want to extend to another area via a RF switch - so when light is turned on something in the circuit will sense this and then tell the other lighting circuit to turn on and vice versa when the main light circuit is switched off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've taken a look at their products and it seems to switch it on you need to send a signal via the phone or the supplied control switch. I just want a transmitter to send a signal when the wall switch is pressed as normal. The bridge doesn't seem to be able to sense an input voltage via the mains lighting circuit and then tell the strip to turn on.

I've got a preexisting light setup which I want to extend to another area via a RF switch - so when light is turned on something in the circuit will sense this and then tell the other lighting circuit to turn on and vice versa when the main light circuit is switched off.

Why don't you just use Philips Hue with a motion detector? They also do a switch that can either be wall mounted or remote... I wouldn't over complicate it.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Why don't you just use Philips Hue with a motion detector? They also do a switch that can either be wall mounted or remote... I wouldn't over complicate it.

That's not what I've been asked to do. I've been asked to light another area with led strip off the same switch as the current led strip in a different area uses. So turn on light both areas light up. Turn of light both areas switch out. No apps nor secondary switches.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That's not what I've been asked to do. I've been asked to light another area with led strip off the same switch as the current led strip in a different area uses. So turn on light both areas light up. Turn of light both areas switch out. No apps nor secondary switches.

It is not exactly what you are asking for, but another option that I think would work:

- A sonoff wall switch
    - A sonoff controller switch to control the second strip.

The first sonoff wall switch would replace your existing wall switch and would power and control the first strip.

Then in the ewelink app, I think it is possible to create a scene, which when you switch on the sonoff wall switch, it also switches on the power to the second sonoff device connected to the second strip. And off again when you switch it off.

Now I haven't tried this myself, so you should double check.

Of course two Hue strips + a Hue dimmer would be more expensive, but also far nicer in terms of support for multiple colours, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I think.something like fibaro wave might be your answer. I believe they have in line we controllers which are transmitters to control a remote light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Use a sonoff RF and get some 433 mhz wall switches

• Advertisement

This is the solution I was searching for:
    https://www.mainsswitch.co.uk/

https://www.mainsswitch.co.uk/downloads/mains-switch-instructions-booklet.pdf?v=1.0

Blurb for those not wanting to open link:
    Mains Switch is the switched live cabling solution for your home or business. Designed for internal use, Mains Switch is a cost effective, time efficient and hassle-free alternative to running cables. Commonly used for pump overrun in the heating industry, Mains Switch can also be used as a solution for other internal switched live and cable replacement issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

This is cheaper and will do the job:
    Switch
    And
    Sonoff Rf

That doesn't fit the brief. I don't want additional source for switching the light. It was to be an extension of an existing light circuit. With that implementation you would have to activate the push button switch to turn on the additional lighting as well as turning on the original light.
    With the mains switch the original switch is all that is required in order to power and depower both lights. Also the original light switch is part of a multi-gang face plate, so it would not fit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That doesn't fit the brief. I don't want additional source for switching the light. It was to be an extension of an existing light circuit. With that implementation you would have to activate the push button switch to turn on the additional lighting as well as turning on the original light.
    With the mains switch the original switch is all that is required in order to power and depower both lights. Also the original light switch is part of a multi-gang face plate, so it would not fit in.

Two words : Client Management....

Use Son Offs and voice controls. Or drear it what you need and figure out how to do it using 2 way switching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Pataman wrote: »
    This is cheaper and will do the job:
    Switch
    And
    Sonoff Rf

I would consider buying mains powered item from outside the EU an unacceptable risk. Even when an item has a CE mark there is no guarantee that it meets the appropriate standard. The risk is even greater for items hard-wired to the mains. This is not nit picking, or scaremongering. The risks are real and substantive.

The only exception is where good are shipped from a European warehouse.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The only exception is where good are shipped from a European warehouse.

Yeah, so you are going to find Amazon's European warehouses absolutely packed with Chinese electronics. Retailers ship them from China to Europe to sell via Amazon.

I'd say 80% of the smart light switches, plugs, etc. that you find on Amazon, can be found on AliExpress too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This looks perfect for me, I have a downstairs bathroom with a fan in it that my kids are unable to turn off, can this still be used as a normal light switch???

I would consider buying mains powered item from outside the EU an unacceptable risk. Even when an item has a CE mark there is no guarantee that it meets the appropriate standard. The risk is even greater for items hard-wired to the mains. This is not nit picking, or scaremongering. The risks are real and substantive.

The only exception is where goods are shipped from a European warehouse.
    bk wrote: »
    Yeah, so you are going to find Amazon's European warehouses absolutely packed with Chinese electronics. Retailers ship them from China to Europe to sell via Amazon.

I'd say 80% of the smart light switches, plugs, etc. that you find on Amazon, can be found on AliExpress too.

The issue isn’t that the goods are made in China, rather it is the quality and safety of those goods. I wouldn’t disagree with your estimate of 80% of such goods being on Amazon. However, how do you know whether you’re getting part of that 80%, or a cheap (unsafe) clone? When electronics are hardwired to the mains, often in secluded/inaccessible locations, that risk is magnified.

When goods are bought directly from AliExpress there is no guarantee of quality or that a CE Mark, if it exists, is genuine. When goods, even if bought from AliExpress, are warehoused in Europe they are subject to EU CE-Marking enforcement/market surveillance. This greatly increases the likelihood that the goods are of an acceptable standard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The issue isn’t that the goods are made in China, rather it is the quality and safety of those goods. I wouldn’t disagree with your estimate of 80% of such goods being on Amazon. However, how do you know whether you’re getting part of that 80%, or a cheap (unsafe) clone? When electronics are hardwired to the mains, often in secluded/inaccessible locations, that risk is magnified.

When goods are bought directly from AliExpress there is no guarantee of quality or that a CE Mark, if it exists, is genuine. When goods, even if bought from AliExpress, are warehoused in Europe they are subject to EU CE-Marking enforcement/market surveillance. This greatly increases the likelihood that the goods are of an acceptable standard.

I feel like I'm speaking to my younger self :D

All of this is the risk you take when getting a deal online, you have to be aware of who you are buying from, I would imagine that a lot of third party sellers on Amazon are just reselling stuff they buy in bulk from AliExpress, you are paying for a smaller lead time rather than a different product but if you are buying direct from a reputable retailler then you have their reputation as a way of checking them out.

Clareman wrote: »
    I feel like I'm speaking to my younger self :D

I wish 🙂

• Advertisement

No, I'm not on about clones or even have an issue with Chinese made products.

I mean there is a massive industry of what is called "drop shipping" built around amazon. Basically virtual retailers who set up as Third Party Sellers on Amazon. They buy vast quantities of Chinese made products either directly from the manufacturer or via Alibaba, have the products shipped to Amazon warehouses, list them on Amazon and then charge a premium for them to be shipped quicker from Amazon European warehouses.

You are literally getting the exact same product from Amazon warehouse as you would get from AliExpress, for better or worse.

No, I'm not on about clones or even have an issue with Chinese made products.

I mean there is a massive industry of what is called "drop shipping" built around amazon. Basically virtual retailers who set up as Third Party Sellers on Amazon. They buy vast quantities of Chinese made products either directly from the manufacturer or via Alibaba, have the products shipped to Amazon warehouses, list them on Amazon and then charge a premium for them to be shipped quicker from Amazon European warehouses.

You are literally getting the exact same product from Amazon warehouse as you would get from AliExpress, for better or worse.

Ah, I understand - and I agree with you. The one difference is that once goods are dropped to European warehouses they are subject to EU CE-Marking enforcement/market surveillance. This means that there is a better chance that they will be genuine, in terms of CE Marking. I realise it is far from foolproof, but better than shipments direct from AliExpress.

I suppose another way of looking it is that the risk of getting substandard/dangerous items is greater when buying direct fro AliExpress, as a consumer. In the case of safety critical items, and I would consider items hardwired to the mains to be in this category, I wouldn’t consider either option. As Clareman suggests, the safer choice is to buy from a trusted supplier.

You may also be horrified to learn the difference between the CE mark and the "China Export" symbol:

https://support.ce-check.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360008642600-How-To-Distinguish-A-Real-CE-Mark-From-A-Fake-Chinese-Export-Mark

Lots of Chinese products selling on Amazon with the Chinese Export mark rather then the CE mark.

You may also be horrified to learn the difference between the CE mark and the "China Export" symbol:

https://support.ce-check.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360008642600-How-To-Distinguish-A-Real-CE-Mark-From-A-Fake-Chinese-Export-Mark

Lots of Chinese products selling on Amazon with the Chinese Export mark rather then the CE mark.

Oh I'm well aware of the difference. That why I suggested that, particularly where safety is a concern, I'd only buy from a trusted supplier.

Oh I'm well aware of the difference. That why I suggested that, particularly where safety is a concern, I'd only buy from a trusted supplier.

My point is there is no such thing as a trusted supplier when it comes to electronics.

If you are worried about this sort of stuff, I'd stick to name brand companies like Philips, Ikea, Hive, Legrand, Fibaro, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

You could use a photocell within sight of the main light to switch a contactor to directly power the additional LED strip. If you use a normally closed one it would be like the opposite of a common dusk to dawn setup.

If distance is a problem, you could switch a wireless transmitter instead and have a receiver in the additional switched circuit.

This would leave the original switching intact and any changes required would be in the hands off area.

My point is there is no such thing as a trusted supplier when it comes to electronics.

If you are worried about this sort of stuff, I'd stick to name brand companies like Philips, Ikea, Hive, Legrand, Fibaro, etc.

I'm only concerned where the risk is high. Taking a broad brush approach, I'd recommend care with anything mains powered.

I'd be less concerned with the brand, than the supplier and their supply chain. Major suppliers, be they retail or wholesale, tend to take quality seriously. In general, they source their stock from reputable companies, who adhere to the appropriate standards. They are also much more likely to be audited and have their stock quality checked.

In any case, the same issues exist with brands as with CE marking. Particularly if the supplier is an unknown, or web based, entity.

Advertisement