Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beating the snail - 2020 training

Options
  • 31-01-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

31km.

That's the total running I did in 2019. Sure, I had the excuse of a new daughter in June 2018, and a new son in Sept 2019, but really, they were just excuses because I couldn't be bothered, or I was busy with work etc, but really, there's no excuses.

Oddly enough, that corresponded to a like for like gain in lbs too!

Embarassingly enough, if I were to race a snail over the course of the year, he would have completed 105km, so I'm about 3 times slower than a snail over 2019!

So, I made myself a challenge.

Jan 2020: Run every day. Minimum of 1km, but aiming to be doing 5km for the end of the month. Just to build back up the habit. So the initial target was 31 runs, with a minimum of around 50km done.

Feb 2020: Onto a training plan to get me up to 10km, with some strength training.

Mar 2020: Start of a half marathon plan

June 2020: Start training for Dublin 2020 - assuming the next phase in the lottery is good to me.

Today is the 31st, and I'm pleased to say, stage 1 was successful!

Total Runs: 36 (I did a couple of days when I ran to work in the morning [2.5km] and back in the evening)

Total Kms: 93km (nearly outrunning that snail already!)

5k Completed: Yes

The important thing for me was consistency. I ran slowly, and built it up. I at least had the lessons of experience from previous years to know when to pull back, and when to take it easy.

No niggles, no strain, and after the first week, my breathing got back into a good rhythm.

So great start. Hopefully the public shaming will ensure I keep it up! :)

Advertisement