Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

notobtuse wrote: »
    When you can't comment on the content you attack the source, eh? Typical!

Have you no self awareness? You’ve spent 99% of this thread attacking media sources.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

They all do...it's opinion driven content that is the basis of all news outlets...and then stories that reflect that editorial direction....it's why the industry is so polarized.

If you consume media all day every day, there is a good chance that not only are you being misinformed (by the omission of balance)...you are being whipped into hysteria!

Actually they all don’t. Some add bias and spin, but the Daily Caller is the pits.

they/them/theirs

Overheal wrote: »
    As has been argued just now it’s not a source it’s a gossip mill.

The piece cites a justice department document. Surely you can find the document, if it is part of the public discourse?

Here's the document, page 109. But it's not exactly damning. The "significantly" aspect is being latched onto but based on the actual document, Steele was an active informant to the FBI to some extent since 2013(in relation to Russian oligarchs. So financial compensation was normal. So it's not even noted as an issue in the report, guessing that's why the Daily Caller are picking up on random quotes rather than the conclusions.
    https://www.justice.gov/storage/120919-examination.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Brian? wrote: »
    Actually they all don’t. Some add bias and spin, but the Daily Caller is the pits.

Brian...they all do.

They all add bias and spin, the mix of opinion pieces and stories that are all in line with the editorial direction....they all do this...are some worse than others, maybe, but as I said, once a news source abandons balance and objectivity it is done for...you could argue that it has always been this way to a degree...but social media distribution and the way we consume media has changed the landscape forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here's the document, page 109. But it's not exactly damning. The "significantly" aspect is being latched onto but based on the actual document, Steele was an active informant to the FBI to some extent since 2013(in relation to Russian oligarchs. So financial compensation was normal. So it's not even noted as an issue in the report, guessing that's why the Daily Caller are picking up on random quotes rather than the conclusions.
    https://www.justice.gov/storage/120919-examination.pdf

So, @notobtuse, is this Obamagate? Is this the smoking gun? Nail in the coffin? The Burger?

• Advertisement

So, @notobtuse, is this Obamagate? Is this the smoking gun? Nail in the coffin? The Burger?

It's been readily available since December so they're slow at reading apparently. :rolleyes:

Brian...they all do.

They all add bias and spin, the mix of opinion pieces and stories that are all in line with the editorial direction....they all do this...are some worse than others, maybe, but as I said, once a news source abandons balance and objectivity it is done for...you could argue that it has always been this way to a degree...but social media distribution and the way we consume media has changed the landscape forever.

Again, they don't all make stories up. The Daily Caller does.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Again, they don't all make stories up. The Daily Caller does.

Let me guess...the media outlets you read are the one's that don't!!!

Let me guess...the media outlets you read are the one's that don't!!!

Jesus, it's like pulling teeth with this carry on.

The Daily Caller makes up stories.

Fox new, as much as I dislike them rarely tell straight out lies. It's all spin.

There are plenty of outlets with editorial bias I don't agree with, who don't make up stories.

The reason I know this is because I read a massive variety of outlets. The news channel I watch the most is Fox news. It's how you avoid living in a echo chamber.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

This idiot is going to be reelected (or reselected) in November...PERIOD.

The prez of the US is there purely because he was put there by billionaires,

He, in his stupidity will continue to keep the smellies distracted. He's perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The Daily Caller makes up stories.

Stories bigger than the Russia-Trump collusion one? Any links? Could do with a laugh :P

Look, let's be honest - the vast majority of users on this thread who have been posting on this issue (or those surrounding it) for the last two or three years, got it spectacularly wrong. They (and you know who you are) swallowed every single aspect of the Trump-Russia collusion palaver and called any information which called it into question, a right wing conspiracy theory.

Not so long ago now even suggesting that the surveillance of Carter Page relied on the Steele Dossier, or that Flynn was coerced into pleading guilty, was sneered at (to say the least) by the very users now still sneering and asking for sources on information that has largely been available for years. It beggars belief. Truth is, the vast majority of you have very little knowledge about what went on in 2016/2017 (as it relates to this topic) because if it didn't fit the 'Get Trump' narrative, and had come from a mainstream media source, it was dismissed as being nothing but conspiracy theories.

Well, they're not, and they never were but whats most galling is that I see no evidence that those that fell for the false narrative, peddled by the left, and amplified by the MSM, even questioning if they should continue to be so trusting of these clearly biased outlets, who clearly have little or no regard for the truth, and oftentimes, will even do their best to bury it.

On the contrary, I see these news sources still being held in the same high esteem, and the news sources, and journalists, like John Solomon for example, who did actually report the truth over the last three years, still, incredulously, being scoffed at as if they couldn't possibly have written anything worth reading. Wtf like?!?! Seems to me some want to be lied to, as maybe they are so entrenched in their political views that hearing things which reaffirm that they are right, is far more important to them than anything else, including, sadly, the truth.

Maybe the indictments will change people's minds but sadly I think even then, some will no doubt still say that AG Barr is just doing what Trump wants him to and that the rule of law no longer matters. How can so many people be so blind I do not know. Maybe people just hate Donald Trump so much that they are just incapable of, or just don't care to, see the truth of either him or what went on. I see them try to justify their hatred of him from time to time, always using stuff he has just supposedly said or done, but come on, the hatred was there from the moment he announced he was running. The liberal media were on his case with impeachment talk from inauguration day, and his political opponents, from long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You've just completely re wrtitten the events of the last few years on these boards. Do you honestly believe all that stuff? All you have is strawman arguments. You're obsessed with the media. Do you not realise that most of us don't even watch CNN or MSNBC? I have no idea who John Solomon is. I read the Mueller report though, myself, in full. Not some version on CNN or whatever.

What indictments are you talking about? So far we've seen none from Durham or Horowitz and multiple from the Mueller investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Muzzled. Submissive. Good boy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=513842&d=1590117065

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I cant understand how anybody can support somebody this mentally incompetent. he is like a little child in a room full of adults that feels they have to say something. the adults humour him and listen patiently and then continue on with the adult conversation they were having.
    TRUMP: “When you say per capita, there’s many per capitas. It’s like per capita relative to what? But you can look at just about any category and we’re really at the top”

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1263225032198836225

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Muzzled. Submissive. Good boy.

That's pretty disgusting. Would you say the same about Obama?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

2u2me wrote: »
    That's pretty disgusting. Would you say the same about Obama?

Like the outrage when he wore a tan suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

To what extent can Trump convince voters that the economic collapse is a largely result of force majeure which nobody could ever really have avoided?

If he were to ask Biden 'How would you have avoided massive increases in unemployment?' can Biden really answer that? I'm sure Biden could identify individual decisions that have made it worse to some extent, but I'm not sure how great that extent is.

But maybe all that matters is that the economy is bad right now, and the reasons why are less relevant, and the mentality is that Trump is Presidents so the buck stops with him.

osarusan wrote: »
    To what extent can Trump convince voters that the economic collapse is a largely result of force majeure which nobody could ever really have avoided?

If he were to ask Biden 'How would you have avoided massive increases in unemployment?' can Biden really answer that? I'm sure Biden could identify individual decisions that have made it worse to some extent, but I'm not sure how great that extent is.

But maybe all that matters is that the economy is bad right now, and the reasons why are less relevant, and the mentality is that Trump is Presidents so the buck stops with him.

he sat on his hands for two months. the buck does stop with him,.

Stories bigger than the Russia-Trump collusion one? Any links? Could do with a laugh :P

Look, let's be honest - the vast majority of users on this thread who have been posting on this issue (or those surrounding it) for the last two or three years, got it spectacularly wrong. They (and you know who you are) swallowed every single aspect of the Trump-Russia collusion palaver and called any information which called it into question, a right wing conspiracy theory.

Not so long ago now even suggesting that the surveillance of Carter Page relied on the Steele Dossier, or that Flynn was coerced into pleading guilty, was sneered at (to say the least) by the very users now still sneering and asking for sources on information that has largely been available for years. It beggars belief. Truth is, the vast majority of you have very little knowledge about what went on in 2016/2017 (as it relates to this topic) because if it didn't fit the 'Get Trump' narrative, and had come from a mainstream media source, it was dismissed as being nothing but conspiracy theories.

Well, they're not, and they never were but whats most galling is that I see no evidence that those that fell for the false narrative, peddled by the left, and amplified by the MSM, even questioning if they should continue to be so trusting of these clearly biased outlets, who clearly have little or no regard for the truth, and oftentimes, will even do their best to bury it.

On the contrary, I see these news sources still being held in the same high esteem, and the news sources, and journalists, like John Solomon for example, who did actually report the truth over the last three years, still, incredulously, being scoffed at as if they couldn't possibly have written anything worth reading. Wtf like?!?! Seems to me some want to be lied to, as maybe they are so entrenched in their political views that hearing things which reaffirm that they are right, is far more important to them than anything else, including, sadly, the truth.

Maybe the indictments will change people's minds but sadly I think even then, some will no doubt still say that AG Barr is just doing what Trump wants him to and that the rule of law no longer matters. How can so many people be so blind I do not know. Maybe people just hate Donald Trump so much that they are just incapable of, or just don't care to, see the truth of either him or what went on. I see them try to justify their hatred of him from time to time, always using stuff he has just supposedly said or done, but come on, the hatred was there from the moment he announced he was running. The liberal media were on his case with impeachment talk from inauguration day, and his political opponents, from long before that.

You’ve a real bright future in alternative history fiction. Phillip Roth would be proud.

The reality is that the Muller report doubt plenty of evidence that Russia interfered in 2016 and it resulted in plenty of criminal convictions of Trump campaign members.

Also the reality, not a single member of the Obama administration has been indicted on a single charge and none are people of concern in an active criminal investigation.

You say you love the truth. That’s the truth.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not a lot of good news for Trump in the latest Fox News Poll
    In the 2020 ballot test, Biden leads Trump by 48-40 percent. Biden’s 8-point advantage is outside the poll’s margin of error. However, given that 11 percent are undecided or plan to vote for someone else, neither candidate hits 50 percent support. The race could go either way.

Among voters who are extremely motivated about voting this fall, Biden has a 12-point advantage (53-41 percent). More Biden supporters (69 percent) than Trump supporters (63 percent) feel extremely motivated to vote.

Trump leads by 7 points among men and by 30 among rural whites. He won both groups by larger margins in 2016 (11 and 37 points respectively).

Biden leads by 20 points among women and 64 points among blacks. Compared to Hillary Clinton in 2016, he bests her performance among women (Clinton was +13) but lags among blacks (Clinton +81).

The 27-point gender gap is even larger than the record 24-point gap in 2016.

Biden makes inroads with two key groups: independents prefer him by 13 points and voters ages 65+ by 17 points. In 2016, Trump won independents by 4 and seniors by 7.

Biden lead Trump on everything but the economy , but Trumps lead there is a lot narrower than Bidens lead on everything else.
    Biden1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

And potentially worse news for Trump on the economy

Biden2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

And then when asked when they think the economy will recover - Only about a 3rd think it will recover before November.

Biden3.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

You’ve a real bright future in alternative history fiction. Phillip Roth would be proud.

The reality is that the Muller report doubt plenty of evidence that Russia interfered in 2016 and it resulted in plenty of criminal convictions of Trump campaign members.

Correction...

The Muller report CONCLUDED that Russia interfered in the US election to help Donald Trump.

A month or two back, a BIPARTISAN Senate Committee came to the same conclusion. One of the heads of that committee (Richard Burr) is now under criminal investigation for a crime he surely did commit, but that many other Republican senators also did, who have not had criminal investigations launched against them as they did not show disloyalty to Trump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Blueshoe wrote: »

The man is not in a psychologically correct state.

It's sad actually.

The man is not in a psychologically correct state.

It's sad actually.

Really

https://twitter.com/dpinsen/status/1263659332543164423?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Guy doing the punching is a patient aswell.

The Nal wrote: »
    Guy doing the punching is a patient aswell.

In a nursing home? Also a second video of the pos beating up an old woman. Punched her square in the face while she was sleeping.

He's been arrested now apparently.
    I couldn't figure out what Trump was tweeting about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Blueshoe wrote: »
    In a nursing home?

Seems so! Very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I doubt trump even wants to get elected at this stage, has it even dawned on him yet that the US is unsavable. He will never win with china as they are the rising power and the US is in terminal decline- visiting manufacturing plants is pure propaganda just look at the manufacturing numbers in the us- they have been declining ever since he took office. I'd say even the US consumer doesn't give a crap about china as long they keep getting there cheap tat yet he keeps babbling on about them. His tax policies have also been a complete failure as we all know. If anything I'd say he can't wait to get out of office and take up that farage type position. Sit on the sidelines and tell everyone how right he was in the years ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement