Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Obviously , all still early days - But slim pickings there for the Trump campaign.
    How's Trump doing in the battleground states... you know, the ones that will actually decide the election?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

notobtuse wrote: »
    Are you still under the delusion that the popular vote decides the presidential election outcome?

It does if he loses the popular vote in 7 swing states which is what the 2nd link is all about..

Also - losing the popular vote at a rate of 2:1 DEFINITELY loses you the election , electoral college or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Notobtuse dodging so many troublesome posts this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

I'm still in favour of Trump winning ... Alternative would be democrats cleaning up after yet another Republican fukc up... And getting hammered in elections again as a thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

weisses wrote: »
    I'm still in favour of Trump winning ... Alternative would be democrats cleaning up after yet another Republican fukc up... And getting hammered in elections again as a thank you

Our ability to stop catastrophic climate change has probably passed tipping point. If Trump is re-elected, any hope of stopping it will definitely vanish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

How's Trump doing in the battleground states... you know, the ones that will actually decide the election?

Losing them according to the latest polls..

That's the raw data from the Fox poll - Search for "Battle-ground" to get the key state numbers

Opinion of Trump or Biden in Battleground states

Unfavourable - Trump 55% , Biden 49%

If the Election was today , how would you vote - Battle Ground states

Trump 40%
    Biden 49%
    Other 4%
    Undecided - 5%
    Won't vote - 2%

Those numbers hold and Trump gets Trounced at potentially record levels for an incumbent.

It does if he loses the popular vote in 7 swing states which is what the 2nd link is all about..

Also - losing the popular vote at a rate of 2:1 DEFINITELY loses you the election , electoral college or not.
    You're off just a touch.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

You're off just a touch.

Sorry - losing 65:35 not 66:33 - Important to be accurate!!

Although , either result and Trump might not break into triple seats in EC votes.

Sorry - losing 65:35 not 66:33 - Important to be accurate!!

Although , either result and Trump might not break into triple seats in EC votes.
    No, you’re off just a touch if you consider the Fox News poll to be the end all be all of polls.

Another recent poll shows the opposite...

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign-polls/497677-trump-leads-biden-in-15-battleground-states-while-bidens-lead-shrinks

Let’s first see if Biden even win’s the democratic party nomination, which isn’t a forgone conclusion. Somehow I think the DNC might Bernie him and put another preferred candidate in.

Our ability to stop catastrophic climate change has probably passed tipping point. If Trump is re-elected, any hope of stopping it will definitely vanish.
    Will the facemask become the new form of yamaka which indicates one being a follower to the religion of climate change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Will the facemask become the new form of yamaka which indicates one being a follower to the religion of climate change?

what do facemasks have to do with climate change? actually, dont bother replying, i'm sure the answer will be incredibly stupid

No, you’re off just a touch if you consider the Fox News poll to be the end all be all of polls.

Another recent poll shows the opposite...

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign-polls/497677-trump-leads-biden-in-15-battleground-states-while-bidens-lead-shrinks

Let’s first see if Biden even win’s the democratic party nomination, which isn’t a forgone conclusion. Somehow I think the DNC might Bernie him and put another preferred candidate in.

Indeed - And the FoxNews poll taken over a week later shows a different story

( Fox poll on May 17-20 , CNN/SRSS Poll done on May 7th to 10th)

So - The Fox Poll is the latest information we have and it shows Trump losing badly.

The next poll could of course tell us something different again , but right here , right now , Trump is facing a humiliating demolition in November.

What's he going to do to fix that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It is crazy to think that those of us who don't believe the world is going to end are the "crazies"....these were the guys you'd avoid while walking around New York in the 90s!!!

It is crazy to think that those of us who don't believe the world is going to end are the "crazies"....these were the guys you'd avoid while walking around New York in the 90s!!!

ignorance is nothing to be proud of.

Yamaka?? - The Buddist Scriptures?

Or did you mean Yarmulke , the Jewish skull cap?

Not sure what or how either have anything to do with Climate change???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

ignorance is nothing to be proud of.

I don't believe the world is going to end...ya that makes me crazy or ignorant!

Notobtuse still evades a number of questions raised of him this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/1263827593331122177

Nothing screams diversity like an old white guy telling preaching about how "black" a person is.

Indeed - And the FoxNews poll taken over a week later shows a different story

( Fox poll on May 17-20 , CNN/SRSS Poll done on May 7th to 10th)

So - The Fox Poll is the latest information we have and it shows Trump losing badly.

The next poll could of course tell us something different again , but right here , right now , Trump is facing a humiliating demolition in November.

What's he going to do to fix that?
    Right here, right now???? So it's really nothing more than just something to talk about this week? The election is months away. That's a millennium in US politics.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/1263827593331122177

Nothing screams diversity like an old white guy telling preaching about how "black" a person is.
    That's just Joe being Joe. Now if Trump would have said something like that... OH BOY, the end of the world as we know it!

• Advertisement

Yamaka?? - The Buddist Scriptures?

Or did you mean Yarmulke , the Jewish skull cap?

Not sure what or how either have anything to do with Climate change???
    Over here it's often referred to as a yamaka... at least that's what my Jewish friends call it.

It's a bit of humor showcasing the foolishness of new religion of climate change and how it's followers consider Trump the religion's devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭greenfield21

More cringe on CNBC talking about raising taxes, FFS raising taxes isn't going to help much when the majority of tech and pharma companies already pay zero anyway. empty promises on everything from biden.

Over here it's often referred to as a yamaka... at least that's what my Jewish friends call it.

It's a bit of humor showcasing the foolishness of new religion of climate change and how it's followers consider Trump the religion's devil.

But face masks are related to a global pandemic so relating it to climate change is a tad idiotic... And not remotely funny.

That's just Joe being Joe. Now if Trump would have said something like that... OH BOY, the end of the world as we know it!

would that be the trump who said that ford had very good blooodlines? the same ford that started with massive racist Henry Ford?

I'm also from 'over here' and its a yarmulke. Good try defending your bad english though.

But face masks are related to a global pandemic so relating it to climate change is a tad idiotic... And not remotely funny.
    Ah yes... faux outrage at its finest.

Just a bit more detail on those critical "Battle-Ground States" from the Fox News poll today.

The Margin for error in that subset of data is +/- 4%

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Donald Trump is doing as president?

Approve - 43%
    Disapprove 54%
    Don't Know - 2%

Donald Trump-Please tell me whether you have a generally favorable or unfavorable opinion of...

Favourable - 42% (Biden 48%)
    Unfavourable 55% (Biden 48%)

Another interesting question was about How people preferred to Vote.

Asked how they usually vote, they answered like this.

In-Person on the day - 65% (62% in Battleground states)
    In-Person , early voting 13% (16% in Battleground states)
    Mail/Absentee ballot - 19% (19% in Battleground states)

However when asked how they'd like to vote THIS November they said this

In-Person on the day - 48% (45% in Battleground states)
    In-Person , early voting 13% (17% in Battleground states)
    Mail/Absentee ballot - 35% (35% in Battleground states)

and with the more direct question of

In response to the coronavirus pandemic, do you favor or oppose allowing all U.S. citizens to vote by mail in the upcoming
    presidential election?

Favour - 63%
    Oppose - 30%

So a fairly significant shift in preference there , Trump on the wrong side of Public opinion it would seem.

Just a bit more detail on those critical "Battle-Ground States" from the Fox News poll today.

The Margin for error in that subset of data is +/- 4%

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Donald Trump is doing as president?

Approve - 43%
    Disapprove 54%
    Don't Know - 42%

43% + 54% + 42% = 139%

Call me crazy but that margin for error seems to be a tad higher. :P

43% + 54% + 42% = 139%

It's a typo.

Are you going to answer any questions posed to you?

513914.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

43% + 54% + 42% = 139%

mZCyrs.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement