Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Danzy wrote: »
    Lot of that is down to the 90% vote African Americans give Democrats.

Its coming either way, so why bother. FF and FG do the same here in many constituencies and while I don't like it, who can blame them.

It was the democratic party who didn't want to give up slavery.

Funny how the world turns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

As pointed out he literally said similar about Jewish people but wasn't even making a bad joke..

What did he say, I must have missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As much as I’d like to see trump out of the WH (for many reasons), I can’t see this Biden guy beating him.

if we take what you say at face value they have a choice between the Dems who have done nothing for them and the GOP who have campaigned to take their vote away from them. not great choices to be sure but quite a simple one for any black voter.

Any black voter? Black people are one homogeneous group? It's not skin colour, it's a way of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Blueshoe wrote: »

welcome to ancient history. already discussed and not relevant to anything happening today.

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    What did he say, I must have missed that

“Where has the Democratic Party gone? Where have they gone where they are defending these two people over the state of Israel?” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Tuesday. “I think any Jewish people that vote for a Democrat, I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty.”

That's far more brutal and not tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He also never apologised for it. Or any of the other disgusting things he has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He’s off golfing again instead of church.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Nal wrote: »
    He says something else stupid the next day which covers up the previous days stupid.

This is well put is the same tactic that a certain party uses in Irish politics because they know they do not have to adhere to the same rules as other democratic parties in the Dail.
    If thier past is outrageous enough for long enough, the response of the masses is it is only xyz being xyz.
    Trump has twigged this and plays it well.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

He’s off golfing again instead of church.

Second day in a row.

Almost 100k of his citizens are dead. And he golfs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The golf course is the best place for him really. He only makes things worse. Let the adults tackle the serious issues and trump can rant on Twitter and slice balls into the rough. I’d say everyone else in the White House is only delighted when he fcuks off. Imagine having to listen to him all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

“Where has the Democratic Party gone? Where have they gone where they are defending these two people over the state of Israel?” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Tuesday. “I think any Jewish people that vote for a Democrat, I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty.”

That's far more brutal and not tongue in cheek.

This is also the week Trump spoke about good "bloodlines" which is sketchy enough territory at the best of times, but it was said in relation to Henry Ford, one of the leading anti-Semites of his time, so a not so subtle dog whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is also the week Trump spoke about good "bloodlines" which is sketchy enough territory at the best of times, but it was said in relation to Henry Ford, one of the leading anti-Semites of his time, so a not so subtle dog whistle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/22/trust-donald-trump-make-henry-fords-virulent-anti-semitism-relevant-again/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Blueshoe wrote: »

Yet Can you acknowledge it has turned. Unlike some other posters.

The Democratic Party opposed the abololition of slavery because they were the party of state rights v federal rights. That has also changed in a massive way.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Yet Can you acknowledge it has turned. Unlike some other posters.

The Democratic Party opposed the abololition of slavery because they were the party of state rights v federal rights. That has also changed in a massive way.

It was Republicans who wanted to force Americans into internment camps over their political speech, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

TDS live on boards.ie.

Trumpers can’t deflect in any meaningful way?

Do better. Or don’t, which won’t surprise anyone.

Overheal wrote: »
    Trumpers can’t deflect in any meaningful way?

Do better. Or don’t, which won’t surprise anyone.

Enlighten me, how on earth was that a Trump inspired sexual molestation caught on live tv?

Enlighten me, how on earth was that a Trump inspired sexual molestation caught on live tv?

I posted the link.

Here it is again. Perhaps this time your derangement-derangement syndrome will permit you to acknowledge it.

https://www.mediaite.com/weird/man-arrested-after-grabbing-reporter-yelling-fck-her-right-in-the-pssy-in-the-middle-of-her-live-shot/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,984 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

amdublin wrote: »
    Second day in a row.

Almost 100k of his citizens are dead. And he golfs.

That's the best thing. Better than advocating the injection of bleach at any rate.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Overheal wrote: »
    I posted the link.

Here it is again. Perhaps this time your derangement-derangement syndrome will permit you to acknowledge it.

https://www.mediaite.com/weird/man-arrested-after-grabbing-reporter-yelling-fck-her-right-in-the-pssy-in-the-middle-of-her-live-shot/

Here's a clip from 2014 of the same thing, was this also Trump inspired?

Here's a clip from 2014 of the same thing, was this also Trump inspired?

That’s not the same thing?

Brian? wrote: »
    The Democratic Party opposed the abololition of slavery because they were the party of state rights v federal rights.

Now they are the party of corporate rights.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I sorry.. But what the hell is wrong with these people??

44 percent of Republicans believe that Bill Gates is plotting to use a mass COVID-19 vaccination campaign as a pretext to implant microchips in billions of people and monitor their movements — a widely debunked conspiracy theory with no basis in fact.

Democrats don't get off either - 19% of them think it's true as well.

This news along with a full blown QAnon zealot being selected by the GOP to run for the Senate in Oregon just has my brain melted. She won by a fairly handy margin too..

These are allegedly functioning adults who can vote! - I mean I just can't even begin to comprehend the mental journey that leads someone to the place where they can believe in this kind of stuff.

Utterly baffling.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I sorry.. But what the hell is wrong with these people??

44 percent of Republicans believe that Bill Gates is plotting to use a mass COVID-19 vaccination campaign as a pretext to implant microchips in billions of people and monitor their movements — a widely debunked conspiracy theory with no basis in fact.

Democrats don't get off either - 19% of them think it's true as well.

This news along with a full blown QAnon zealot being selected by the GOP to run for the Senate in Oregon just has my brain melted. She won by a fairly handy margin too..

These are allegedly functioning adults who can vote! - I mean I just can't even begin to comprehend the mental journey that leads someone to the place where they can believe in this kind of stuff.

Utterly baffling.

That’s the power of disinformation warfare.

After the election more than a few Californians would have polled in favor of seceding from the United States. Before the election the secession of Texas was up as a topic too. IRA, the Russian troll farm that is, was behind both movements online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,984 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's like the country has some form of collective political dementia.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Republicans just lost Florida for the next 20 years.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/florida-judge-declares-floridas-poll-tax-unconstitutional/

So of course you can expect them to piss and moan about it loudly enough that the appeal drags well past November.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's like the country has some form of collective political dementia.

Not just the US. Yesterday, went to the local shop in West Kerry to buy the newspaper. Ran into someone I knew from the local trad, long-time resident from Scotland.

I wear a mask when going out shopping. He asked me, "Why're you wearing it?"
    I said I took my advice from the CDC, and a paper I read about spreading Coronavirus to others. "I wear it to protect other people, I know it probably does nothing for me."

Next comment: "At least your not listening to Bill Gates."

My reply: "I worked for his company for 10 years, he was my great-great....grandboss. Interacted with him twice via e-mail. Smartest human I've ever dealt with. Others I knew that interacted with him one-on-one say the same. Very humble in person, too."

This got a wide-eyed stare. He asked, "Can I send you some links about him?"

My first reaction at this point was to kind of feel my blood pressure rising, but in the interests of civility, I said, "Sure."

Youtube links of course. Some nutter named James Corbett. I watched about 5 seconds of one of them, then googled Corbett. Corbett doesn't seem to be an anti-vaxxer per se, but I didn't look too close.

The amount of nuttery in Ireland has been very surprising to me having moved here 5 years ago. Probably the most disappointing thing, that it's no better than the US is (not dismissing the US at all, but it feels just as bad here.) Americans believed that Europeans and Brits/Irish got better educations than we did. Maybe that was true in the past, but I don't think it is anymore, the gullibility and intellectual laziness seems about the same. Ireland is a bit of a special case due to the dominance of the RCC and it's hostility to critical thinking and education, but the UK seems the same, too.

• Advertisement

I believe the recent case involving Rachel Maddow goes a long way to explaining what is happening, *cough* fake news.

Rachel Maddow(Popular MSNBC presenter) had a defamation law suit filed against her (because she called OANN 'really literally paid Russian progaganda').

The judge dismissed it and said she is opinion and not news. I wonder how how far this extends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement