Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

2u2me wrote: »
    I believe the recent case involving Rachel Maddow goes a long way to explaining what is happening, *cough* fake news.

Rachel Maddow(Popular MSNBC presenter) had a defamation law suit filed against her (because she called OANN 'really literally paid Russian progaganda').

The judge dismissed it and said she is opinion and not news. I wonder how how far this extends.

she was discussing a news article and gave an opinion based on that article. is she not allowed to give an opinion now? and the judge said she gave an opinion not that she is opinion and not news. for a native english speaker that is very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

she was discussing a news article and gave an opinion based on that article. is she not allowed to give an opinion now? and the judge said she gave an opinion not that she is opinion and not news. for a native english speaker that is very different.

She's allowed to give her opinion on her blog, her social media to her friends wheverever she likes.

Just to reiterate the 'opinion' she held was that OANN were "really literally paid Russian progaganda'"

Maddow has stated her show's mission is to "increase the amount of useful information in the world".

I guess big mission fail huh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

She's allowed to give her opinion on her blog, her social media to her friends wheverever she likes.

Just to reiterate the 'opinion' she held was that OANN were "really literally paid Russian progaganda'"

Maddow has stated her show's mission is to "increase the amount of useful information in the world".

Hold up there horse. The defamation suit wasn’t dismissed because she’s “opinion not news”. It was dismissed because she claimed protection under the 1st amendment. Once her content was designated as protected content, the bar to prove defamation changes. OAN needed to make a definitive case that she was lying. They did not proved to the judge that they could. So it was dismissed.

If only the world was as simple as you think it is.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

itis funny how you right wing types have no issues with all of the connections between the media you consume and russia. that you cannot see that are being played by Russia is just impossible to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

itis funny how you right wing types have no issues with all of the connections between the media you consume and russia. that you cannot see that are being played by Russia is just impossible to believe.

Russia/media/right wing. You must be a Rachel Maddow fan.

Do you think she has lived up to her tagline of "increasingy the amount of useful information in the world"?

Or do we just avoid the scary questions around here.

• Advertisement

Do you think she has lived up to her tagline of "increasingy the amount of useful information in the world"?

certainly more so than fox or RT or sputnik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,984 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Igotadose wrote: »
    Not just the US. Yesterday, went to the local shop in West Kerry to buy the newspaper. Ran into someone I knew from the local trad, long-time resident from Scotland.

I wear a mask when going out shopping. He asked me, "Why're you wearing it?"
    I said I took my advice from the CDC, and a paper I read about spreading Coronavirus to others. "I wear it to protect other people, I know it probably does nothing for me."

Next comment: "At least your not listening to Bill Gates."

My reply: "I worked for his company for 10 years, he was my great-great....grandboss. Interacted with him twice via e-mail. Smartest human I've ever dealt with. Others I knew that interacted with him one-on-one say the same. Very humble in person, too."

This got a wide-eyed stare. He asked, "Can I send you some links about him?"

My first reaction at this point was to kind of feel my blood pressure rising, but in the interests of civility, I said, "Sure."

Youtube links of course. Some nutter named James Corbett. I watched about 5 seconds of one of them, then googled Corbett. Corbett doesn't seem to be an anti-vaxxer per se, but I didn't look too close.

The amount of nuttery in Ireland has been very surprising to me having moved here 5 years ago. Probably the most disappointing thing, that it's no better than the US is (not dismissing the US at all, but it feels just as bad here.) Americans believed that Europeans and Brits/Irish got better educations than we did. Maybe that was true in the past, but I don't think it is anymore, the gullibility and intellectual laziness seems about the same. Ireland is a bit of a special case due to the dominance of the RCC and it's hostility to critical thinking and education, but the UK seems the same, too.

Every country has its idiots. You can't say Ireland is as bad because you met one in a shop.

You've got the actual US president advocating injecting bleach and this isn't even surprising given his tenure. Don't even start me on the preppers and libertarians pretending to be oppressed because they can't stay in a few months with Netflix.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

About as much as Fox News live up to "Fair and Balanced"

As we have been repeatedly reminded by others on this thread - People like Maddow , Hannity , Carlson and Ingraham are "Opinion Commentators" and not "Hard News".

An Opinion is information , whether you deem it useful or not is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Every country has its idiots. You can't say Ireland is as bad because you met one in a shop.

You've got the actual US president advocating injecting bleach and this isn't even surprising given his tenure. Don't even start me on the preppers and libertarians pretending to be oppressed because they can't stay in a few months with Netflix.

I've met a limited number of people in Ireland in person. It seems like a sizeable percentage believe conspiracy theory twaddle. Not just one in a shop. Many. Maybe it's the area I live in.

My point was, I think in response to yours originally, is that the US is bad with this nonsense, where the President ffs is a constant stream of this garbage because he's stupid enough to believe it, or, he believes it ingratiates himself more with his loyal supporters who he believes are keys to keeping out of jail by getting reelected.

However, Ireland isn't immune to it either, where I'd have expected it was. Nor is the UK. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Ireland gets it cultural lead from the UK and the US, and the UK really is getting theirs from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

astrofool wrote: »
    Remdesivir maybe, looks promising so far, hydroxychloroquine definitely not, not even looking promising at the moment, has nasty side effects, and the result of him wanting COVID-19 to disappear ("like a miracle"), man has to be the stupidest president yet (at least GW knew his limitations and let Cheney run the show).

Just coming back on this, the 2 narcissists (inc. Bolsanaro) seem to be intent on pushing a harm causing drug, while remdesivir now has some proven positive studies behind it, but still early.

It's sociopathic behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've met a limited number of people in Ireland in person. It seems like a sizeable percentage believe conspiracy theory twaddle. Not just one in a shop. Many. Maybe it's the area I live in.

My point was, I think in response to yours originally, is that the US is bad with this nonsense, where the President ffs is a constant stream of this garbage because he's stupid enough to believe it, or, he believes it ingratiates himself more with his loyal supporters who he believes are keys to keeping out of jail by getting reelected.

However, Ireland isn't immune to it either, where I'd have expected it was. Nor is the UK. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Ireland gets it cultural lead from the UK and the US, and the UK really is getting theirs from the US.

Theres 20 nutters in the US for every one here. Trump could never get elected here. Not in a million years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,984 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've a cousin I had to block on social media as he was trying to scaremonger that there would never be a vaccine for Covid-19 because it can mutate. Apparently, the fact that there is a virus that is annually vaccinated for was not something he wanted to hear.

I would never claim that Ireland is immune to anything like this. The internet sees to that. The difference is that I can see Ireland having enough crackpots to actually elect one of their own to the highest office in the land.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

MadYaker wrote: »
    Theres 20 nutters in the US for every one here. Trump could never get elected here. Not in a million years.
    America’s population is roughly 65 / 70 times Ireland. So that would say that we have many many many more Nutters per Capita ! ! ! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Democrats In PANIC MODE Over Unhinged Trump Cheating Theory, Michael Moore Warns Trump Will CHEAT. Since 2015 they haven't stopped claiming Trump will cheat, is cheating, or will refuse to accept the results of the election.

Now the New York times is telling us that Democrats are experience anxiety of Trump doomsday scenarios where he rigs the election or refuses to concede after losing.

Democrats can't seem to learn from their past mistakes and have kept pushing the same narratives for the past several years even though data shows their strategy just doesn't work.

Republicans on the other hand have their own theories such as Obamagate But for all of us who have seen that the Democrats russiagate theory was wrong we wonder what started it and why. Certainly those questions are merited much more that the unhinged theories pushed by Democrats and media allies.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I've a cousin I had to block on social media as he was trying to scaremonger that there would never be a vaccine for Covid-19 because it can mutate. Apparently, the fact that there is a virus that is annually vaccinated for was not something he wanted to hear.

I would never claim that Ireland is immune to anything like this. The internet sees to that. The difference is that I can see Ireland having enough crackpots to actually elect one of their own to the highest office in the land.

Well, your cousin isn't that far off. While it appears to be relatively stable, some mutations have occurred. From this article (which is well worth a read):

So far, the Sars-CoV-2 coronavirus seems fairly stable, but it is acquiring mutations, as all viruses do. Some genetic changes have been spotted in the virus’s protein “spikes” which are the basis of most vaccines. If the spike protein mutates too much, the antibodies produced by a vaccine will effectively be out of date and might not bind the virus effectively enough to prevent infection.

Martin Hibberd, professor of emerging infectious diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who helped identify some of the virus’s mutations, called them “an early warning”.

Well, your cousin isn't that far off. While it appears to be relatively stable, some mutations have occurred. From this article (which is well worth a read):

So far, the Sars-CoV-2 coronavirus seems fairly stable, but it is acquiring mutations, as all viruses do. Some genetic changes have been spotted in the virus’s protein “spikes” which are the basis of most vaccines. If the spike protein mutates too much, the antibodies produced by a vaccine will effectively be out of date and might not bind the virus effectively enough to prevent infection.

Martin Hibberd, professor of emerging infectious diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who helped identify some of the virus’s mutations, called them “an early warning”.

no one thinks the virus will not mutate. it would be odd if it didnt. but this is the relevant part of the post you quoted
    there would never be a vaccine for Covid-19 because it can mutate. Apparently, the fact that there is a virus that is annually vaccinated for was not something he wanted to hear.

that a virus can and does mutate is not a reason we cannot produce a vaccine. we produce an annual vaccine for influenza and that mutates regularly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What a steaming pile of BS.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

no one thinks the virus will not mutate. it would be odd if it didnt. but this is the relevant part of the post you quoted

that a virus can and does mutate is not a reason we cannot produce a vaccine. we produce an annual vaccine for influenza and that mutates regularly.

Indeed. Again from the article:

Researchers at Oxford University recently analysed blood from recovered Covid-19 patients and found that levels of IgG antibodies – those responsible for longer-lasting immunity – rose steeply in the first month of infection but then began to fall again.

Last week, scientists at Rockefeller University in New York found that most people who recovered from Covid-19 without going into hospital did not make many killer antibodies against the virus.

“That’s what is particularly challenging,” says Stanley Perlman, a veteran coronavirus researcher at the University of Iowa. “If the natural infection doesn’t give you that much immunity except when it’s a severe infection, what will a vaccine do? It could be better, but we don’t know.” If a vaccine only protects for a year, the virus will be with us for some time.

The difference is that coronavirus is much more dangerous than the flu.

Researchers at Oxford University recently analysed blood from recovered Covid-19 patients and found that levels of IgG antibodies – those responsible for longer-lasting immunity – rose steeply in the first month of infection but then began to fall again.

Last week, scientists at Rockefeller University in New York found that most people who recovered from Covid-19 without going into hospital did not make many killer antibodies against the virus.

“That’s what is particularly challenging,” says Stanley Perlman, a veteran coronavirus researcher at the University of Iowa. “If the natural infection doesn’t give you that much immunity except when it’s a severe infection, what will a vaccine do? It could be better, but we don’t know.” If a vaccine only protects for a year, the virus will be with us for some time.

i will try again.

you said
    Well, your cousin isn't that far off.

they are very far off. thinking that because a virus can mutate means we cannot produce a vaccine for it is very far off indeed.

• Advertisement

There's a world of difference between listening to a leading virologist and spamming news links from dodgy sites though. Hibberd isn't saying a vaccine isn't impossible, just that it'll not be straightforward.
    Brian? wrote: »
    What a steaming pile of BS.

A edgy, right wing video dump. Haven't seen one in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

In every aspect, not just it's mortality rate

There's a world of difference between listening to a leading virologist and spamming news links from dodgy sites though. Hibberd isn't saying a vaccine isn't impossible, just that it'll not be straightforward.

Fair enough. Spamming bullsh1t is beyond the pale.

i will try again.

you said

they are very far off. thinking that because a virus can mutate means we cannot produce a vaccine for it is very far off indeed.

I will try again also. A vaccine that does not give permanent immunity and does not cover all variants is not an effective defence against a deadly virus.

I'm going to leave this discussion here as it's off topic.

I will try again also. A vaccine that does not give permanent immunity and does not cover all variants is not an effective defence against a deadly virus.

i'm beginning to doubt your academic title

i'm beginning to doubt your academic title

Oh ye of little faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I guess that’s it folks: shut down the flu vaccine industry. Shut it down! We’re done here! It’s not effective if you have to do it for every mutation! Shut. It. Down!

The Democrats got Donald Trump Elected as President Once !

Do not underestimate the ability of the Democrats to get Donald Trump Elected President one more time !

Flowersun wrote: »
    Trump fan here.
    It iseems ridiculous to pitch Uncle Joe against Donald J Trump.
    All the right wingers are literally enjoying the Joe Show.
    At least with Hillary it was down to the wire..
    The Dems should dump Joe and get Hillary back in.
    The Re-Match ! ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Flowersun wrote: »
    Trump fan here.

2 posts. Uhuh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement