Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,771 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see Trump Is already getting his excuses in for losing the upcoming election by claiming the election will be rigged.

Few seem to believe he will go quietly if he loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’ll be interesting to see how this escalates. Trump needs Twitter, and twitter benefit from him using their platform because although he violates their terms of use on a daily basis he drives a lot of traffic to their platform. I don’t think they’ll actually ban him no matter what he does, because then he would surely be in a position to cause them serious trouble.

perhaps they should try lying a little less and then they wouldn't have to fact check tweets.

I wonder if fact checking will apply across the board. I mean, would this come under scrutiny?

https://twitter.com/Emmy_Zje/status/1236731147561943040?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I see Trump Is already getting his excuses in for losing the upcoming election by claiming the election will be rigged.

This was obvious the route he was going as soon as he mentioned the bail in ballots.

Imagine the **** that him and the rest of those crooks are going to get up to between November and January if they do lose.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    This was obvious the route he was going as soon as he mentioned the bail in ballots.

Imagine the **** that him and the rest of those crooks are going to get up to between November and January if they do lose.

Like wire tapping and spying and framing people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

perhaps they should try lying a little less and then they wouldn't have to fact check tweets.
    Perhaps if fact checking applied to both sides equally it would appear a little less unbiased.

As it is, you can post any mumbo jumbo you want as long as it's left leaning.

Like this trash

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ELM327 wrote: »
    Perhaps if fact checking applied to both sides equally it would appear a little less unbiased.

As it is, you can post any mumbo jumbo you want as long as it's left leaning.

Like this trash

18000 documented lies by trump alone. Is there anybody else with such a documented history of telling lies?

18000 documented lies by trump alone. Is there anybody else with such a documented history of telling lies?
    18000? Not 17999 or 18001.
    It's strange that he'd tell exactly 18000 and then stop?

Forfty percent of statistics are made up on the spot kent.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Thankfully we won't have to worry about that.
    Creepy racist Joe aint getting anywhere near the white house

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And yet none of Trumps zealots seem to mention this guy.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-staffer-brandon-hall-michigan-guilty-election-fraud-a7449046.html%3famp
    A man who worked on Donald Trump’scampaign in Michigan has been found guilty on 10 counts of election fraud.

Brandon Hall, a political activist, forged signatures on petition forms in 2012 and now faces up to five years in prison.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hollandsentinel.com/news/20161227/brandon-hall-gets-30-days-in-jail-for-election-fraud%3ftemplate=ampart
    A 27-year-old Grand Haven man was sentenced to 30 days in jail and 18 months probation for election fraud he committed while trying to help a Grand Haven attorney get his name on the ballot for a 2012 election.

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/after-long-legal-battle-gop-blogger-gets-30-days-jail-forging-voter-signatures
    A Republican blogger and activist from West Michigan is headed to jail. Last month a jury found Brandon Hall guilty of 10 felony counts for forging signatures on election petitions in 2012.

Hall admitted to using different pens and hands to forge the signatures to get a judicial candidate on the ballot.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thankfully we won't have to worry about that.
    Creepy racist Joe aint getting anywhere near the white house

Amazing how the zealots copy Trumps childish name calling tactics

Pathetic:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Amazing how the zealots copy Trumps childish name calling tactics

Pathetic:rolleyes:
    Amazing how they call others racists given daddy's history of being racist

Do you accept that fact checking is not equally applied to people who are on the political or social "left" as it is to people who are politically or socially "right"?

Do you think that if Clinton or Biden had every sentence they've uttered in their political career fact checked with such scrutiny that they would fare well?

Donald Trump has said some outrageous lies and I am not defending him for them and do think some of his speeches and tweets, while sometimes entertaining, are unbecoming of a president, I just would like to see consistency in how people are held to account.

When people said "at least he's not Clinton" or "Obama did x" it they were shouted down for whataboutary or deflection. Now when criticisms are aimed at Biden or Obama, the same people are shouting "but look at what trump did". Again, inconsistent in their values

If you are in favour of fact checking and truths being important, do you agree that the tweet I posted above should be highlighted as a lie?

Eh all major fact checking sites do actual fact check both sides. You'll find the major ones are happy to call out anyone. They're also regularly vetted.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Amazing how they call others racists given daddy's history of being racist

Honestly, do you think what Biden said was ok? Not "in comparison to trump" or anyone else. Was it acceptable in your eyes?

Honestly, do you think what Biden said was ok? Not "in comparison to trump" or anyone else. Was it acceptable in your eyes?

it wasn't. he apologised. has trump apologised yet to the father of the woman he claimed was murdered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

No

Do you accept that fact checking is not equally applied to people who are on the political or social "left" as it is to people who are politically or socially "right"?

Do you think that if Clinton or Biden had every sentence they've uttered in their political career fact checked with such scrutiny that they would fare well?

Donald Trump has said some outrageous lies and I am not defending him for them and do think some of his speeches and tweets, while sometimes entertaining, are unbecoming of a president, I just would like to see consistency in how people are held to account.

When people said "at least he's not Clinton" or "Obama did x" it they were shouted down for whataboutary or deflection. Now when criticisms are aimed at Biden or Obama, the same people are shouting "but look at what trump did". Again, inconsistent in their values

If you are in favour of fact checking and truths being important, do you agree that the tweet I posted above should be highlighted as a lie?
    i dont accept that at all.

it wasn't. he apologised. has trump apologised yet to the father of the woman he claimed was murdered?

No idea. Probably not considering his history of not apologising.

Again, what's that got to do with Biden saying apparently racist stuff?

Whataboutary

Whataboutary

he phrased something badly. it wasnt racist. certainly not racist in the way that the guy you support is actually racist.

• Advertisement

i dont accept that at all.

So you don't think that what is considered left leaning politics and social issues are less scrutinised in social media and media in general?

That's some reach.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It wasn't great , however he's apologised , multiple times now.

People make mistakes , people mis-speak or makes a balls of trying to make a point , everyone does , it's Human.

What's also human and normal is recognising those mistakes and correcting them , apologising if necessary.

Any evidence of Trump ever apologising for anything anywhere ,ever?

So you don't think that what is considered left leaning politics and social issues are less scrutinised in social media and media in general?

That's some reach.

i presume you can support that there is a liberal bias on twitter fact checking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Whataboutary

Ah here. You're shoehorning somebody posting about transwomen on a thread about the US presidential election. That's pure whataboutery.

Maybe start a thread on twitter and the consistency or inconsistency of moderating/vetting tweets if you want to talk about that.

he phrased something badly. it wasnt racist. certainly not racist in the way that the guy you support is actually racist.

Now now, again with the whataboutary.

I have stated on umpteen occasions, and as recently as a couple of posts ago that I am not defending trump and have called his actions unbecoming of a president.

I can't help it if you feel that unless people think like you do, they align against you.

If Biden wasn't racist, can you confirm that you didn't see anything racist in Trump's "ask China" comment to the reporter the other day?

(For clarity, I don't think Bidens comment was noteworthy. I know that if he happened to be a red rather than a blue though, he'd have been crucified)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

The loony left have a racist as their candidate and still they defend him but but but Trump.

Now now, again with the whataboutary.

I have stated on umpteen occasions, and as recently as a couple of posts ago that I am not defending trump and have called his actions unbecoming of a president.

I can't help it if you feel that unless people think like you do, they align against you.

If Biden wasn't racist, can you confirm that you didn't see anything racist in Trump's "ask China" comment to the reporter the other day?

(For clarity, I don't think Bidens comment was noteworthy. I know that if he happened to be a red rather than a blue though, he'd have been crucified)

you constantly defend trump because he appeals to your base rightwing views.

osarusan wrote: »
    Ah here. You're shoehorning somebody posting about transwomen on a thread about the US presidential election. That's pure whataboutery.

Maybe start a thread on twitter and the consistency or inconsistency of moderating/vetting tweets if you want to talk about that.

It was not shoehorning in any way. We were talking about lies on twitter and I used the transwomen tweet as an example of left leaning opinions which aren't facts being given free reign.

Right leaning opinions are often shouted down as lies whereas left aren't.

I agree the president should be held to a higher standard, but there are people on here who feel that right and left opinions are treated equally. I was pointing out they aren't.

It was not shoehorning in any way. We were talking about lies on twitter and I used the transwomen tweet as an example of left leaning opinions which aren't facts being given free reign.

Right leaning opinions are often shouted down as lies whereas left aren't.

I agree the president should be held to a higher standard, but there are people on here who feel that right and left opinions are treated equally. I was pointing out they aren't.

Did you report the tweet?

• Advertisement

you constantly defend trump because he appeals to your base rightwing views.

No he doesn't. I do have what YOU would consider right wing views and sometimes I do agree with Trump. I often disagree with him too.

I sometimes agree with Biden, but often disagree with him too.

Its just odd that it is only when speaking with people like you who automatically dismiss someone who doesn't agree with them on every topic as "the opposition".

It very rarely happens when I voice my concerns to trump supporters.

In my experience there are far more belligerent and intolerant left people than there are belligerent and intolerant right leaning people (far right and far left excluded - they are insufferable)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement