Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

notobtuse wrote: »
    How many other countries are THE UNITED STATES OF_______?

What's that got to do with anything? Either having a straight vote to see who wins is mob rule or it isn't.

Is everything in America that doesn't use an electoral college type system mob rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’m enjoying reading trumps juvenile rage on Twitter I have to say. Sad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Which strategy is that?

Apologize and get on with it. Normal people strategy.

Did you see the clip of him on "the view" I think it's called.

The "panel" ( nobodies and crackpots) kept asking him to apologise for different things. And he did. Then he got confused , stopped and started a few sentences then totally lost his train of thought followed by more apologies.
    Some operator. Weak as p1ss but seems genuine if a little lost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

What's that got to do with anything? Either having a straight vote to see who wins is mob rule or it isn't.

Is everything in America that doesn't use an electoral college type system Mon rule?
    We are The United States of America and have the electoral college elect the President of the US for a reason…
    The Electoral College was designed by the framers deliberately, like the rest of the Constitution, to counteract the worst human impulses and protect the nation from the dangers inherent in democracy. The Electoral College is neither antiquated nor toxic; it is an underappreciated institution that helps preserve our constitutional system, and it deserves a full-throated defense.

Abolishing the Electoral College now might satisfy an irritated yearning for direct democracy, but it would also mean dismantling federalism. After that, there would be no sense in having a Senate (which, after all, represents the interests of the states), and eventually, no sense in even having states, except as administrative departments of the central government. We structure everything in our political system around the idea of a federation that divides power between states and the federal government — states had to ratify the Constitution through state conventions beginning in 1787; state legislatures are required for ratifying constitutional amendments; and even the Constitution itself can only be terminated by action of the states in a national convention. Federalism is in the bones of our nation, and abolishing the Electoral College would point toward doing away with the entire federal system.

That is the system we to elect the president that is based on how our country was founded. Should I be telling you how your country should operate? I doubt you’d appreciate that.

And regarding federal laws, we have the Senate that is involved in legislative measures. It also is a safeguard against mob rule.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Apologize and get on with it. Normal people strategy.

Did you see the clip of him on "the view" I think it's called.

The "panel" ( nobodies and crackpots) kept asking him to apologise for different things. And he did. Then he got confused , stopped and started a few sentences then totally lost his train of thought followed by more apologies.
    Some operator

Can you post the clip I didn’t see this?

• Advertisement

We are The United States of American and have the electoral college elect the President of the US for a reason…

That is the system we to elect the president that is based on how our country was founded. Should I be telling you how your country should operate? I doubt you’d appreciate that.

And regarding federal laws, we have the Senate that is involved in legislative measures. It also is a safeguard against mob rule.
    Yeah. I know the system exists. Thanks.

I'm asking a question based on you saying a straight vote would be mob rule.

Are all things voted on by a straight vote in America mob rule?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Can you post the clip I didn’t see this?

Couldn't find it on YouTube. Twitter only.

7 women making accusations!!

https://twitter.com/RaymondKooyenga/status/1265106968932278272?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What should the libs/Dems do.. pull out pictures or instances of uncle Joe helping a black person?
    Would be better than pictures of creepy joe engaging in his sexual assaults.

The use of the word abortion is problematic. It may have alternate meanings which you were connecting to this situation but it is triggering to some. It's most common usage isn't applicable to this scenario. Can you please apologise?

Since when did you become custodian of the English language? A ridiculous plea.

Yeah. I know the system exists. Thanks.

I'm asking a question based on you saying a straight vote would be mob rule.

Are all things voted on by a straight vote in America mob rule?
    Some are. We've now got the worst governor in our state's history because of mob rule.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That's gas.

When the person with more votes wins, it's 'mob rule'.

Have you ever heard such horsesh!t.

osarusan wrote: »
    That's gas.

SF got the most votes but they didn't win

osarusan wrote: »
    That's gas.

Whatever. Fear of mob rule has been around since the founding of our nation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/james-madison-mob-rule/568351/

Some are. We've now got the worst governor in our state's history because of mob rule.

Well that's not how it works.

It's either always mob rule or it isn't. The system doesn't change because you don't get the result you want

Trump prefers mob rule anyway

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/president-trump-reaffirms-his-long-standing-opposition-electoral-college-and-favors-nationwide-vote

Since when did you become custodian of the English language? A ridiculous plea.

Never claimed to be. People asking or wanting someone to apologise for using words that they chose to interpret as triggering is ridiculous?

Interesting...

Well that's not how it works.

It's either always mob rule or it isn't. The system doesn't change because you don't get the result you want

Trump prefers mob rule anyway

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/president-trump-reaffirms-his-long-standing-opposition-electoral-college-and-favors-nationwide-vote
    Trump hasn't always been right on everything and has on occasion been on the wrong side of history (his being a Democrat for many years affirms that). Luckily for us he tends to correct his mistakes and makes changes in his viewpoints.

There's more convenient twists and turns in your defence than even the church covering the holes in the Bible

I love how even when you don't agree with him he's not wrong, he's "not always right"

There's a pathologic fear of ever admitting him being wrong. Even when he accuses people of murder without evidence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

SF got the most votes but they didn't win

They got the most votes, not the majority of votes. That's a pretty simple difference.

Clinton got the most votes and the majority of votes in 2016.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There's more convenient twists and turns in your defence than even the church covering the holes in the Bible

I love how even when you don't agree with him he's not wrong, he's "not always right"

There's a pathologic fear of ever admitting him being wrong. Even when he accuses people of murder without evidence.
    I thought Trump was wrong on some of his total power boasts, particularly regarding federal government’s powers which are only limited to constitutionally approved subjects.

Happy now?

Brian? wrote: »
    They got the most votes, not the majority of votes. That's a pretty simple difference.

Clinton got the most votes and the majority of votes in 2016.

Most is not a majority? So, It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is? We’ve dealt with that schematic nonsense over here, also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Most is not a majority? So, It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is? We’ve dealt with that schematic nonsense over here, also.

No , Most is not necessarily a Majority - It's a Plurality and may also be a majority.

In the Binary system of the US Presidential Elections , yes Most = Majority

But in jurisdictions where you have more than a binary choice , Most does not always equal Majority.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Most properly functioning democracies have more than 2 parties. I know this might blow your mind, but it's quite common for one party to
    Get the most votes in an Irish election and not get the majority of the votes.

I can't remember the last time one party in Ireland got a majority. Usually we have coalition governments. I know this is shocking to an American, but in real democracies parties actually have to work together.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I thought Trump was wrong on some of his total power boasts, particularly regarding federal government’s powers which are only limited to constitutionally approved subjects.

Happy now?

If that's the only time you feel that Trump has been wrong, then you either have some serious personal issues, or all your dogs arent barking. Which I'm fairly sure is a quote from Die Hard with a Vengeance, but it fits pretty well with this situation.

I feel bad for how Trump’s words hurt the woman’s family. But you can’t have one set of standards for one party and another for the other.

So, was it okay with you when a US senator read into the congressional record accusations without any evidence, that an honorable and accomplished judge being confirmed to the Supreme Court was a gang-rapist? How do you think his family felt?

Or when nearly every single major mainstream news agency advocated for physical threats directed at a high school teenager for no other ‘crime’ than that of wearing a MAGA hat? How do you think his family felt?

How about when Joe Scarborough joked on the Imus show about having an affair with an intern and then killing her? Why aren’t you condemning that?

It is okay for Democrats and their media handmaidens to do those things but not Trump? So spare me your faux outrage.

Brian? wrote: »
    Most properly functioning democracies have more than 2 parties. I know this might blow your mind, but it's quite common for one party to
    Get the most votes in an Irish election and not get the majority of the votes.

I can't remember the last time one party in Ireland got a majority. Usually we have coalition governments. I know this is shocking to an American, but in real democracies parties actually have to work together.
    So if I understand correctly you're criticizing the US for not having something you yourself don't even have?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Couldn't find it on YouTube. Twitter only.

7 women making accusations!!

https://twitter.com/RaymondKooyenga/status/1265106968932278272?s=09

I've never seen a more doctored video in my life!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If that's the only time you feel that Trump has been wrong, then you either have some serious personal issues, or all your dogs arent barking. Which I'm fairly sure is a quote from Die Hard with a Vengeance, but it fits pretty well with this situation.
    Did I state it was the only time? It must be pretty boring living in a world of absolutes, interrupted by the occasional fantasy movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Trump appears to be too busy accusing an innocent man of murder to condemn the actual murder of George Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Awesome. Trump wants to try some insulin, since he's heard its pretty good stuff.

Please. Go ahead. The more the merrier, big dose good, Donny!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1265381896600424448

Cue the:"I was joking around to see if I could get a rise out of the media" defense in 3...2..1

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Awesome. Trump wants to try some insulin, since he's heard its pretty good stuff.

Please. Go ahead. The more the merrier, big dose good, Donny!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1265381896600424448

Cue the:"I was joking around to see if I could get a rise out of the media" defense in 3...2..1
    You don't think he was trolling the biased media to make their collective heads explode? That's what he does... and they fall for it every time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement