Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

notobtuse wrote: »
    I remember when the coronavirus first became news and Trump immediately put in restrictions. Democrats and their media handmaidens immediately chastised Trump for overreaching, fearmongering and restrictions rights. Now those same shameless democrats and media idiots are chastising Trump for not doing enough.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    WTF!
    PoliticalSameKoodoo-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Oh, bother. I see history starts today for a lot of people who claimed to be informed, here.

It’s a unique set of characteristics showing that President Trump understood early the need for decisive measures such as travel restrictions on China, which he imposed in January.

Yet for that sensible decision — in defiance of the World Health Organization — he was criticized by Democrats such as Joe Biden as xenophobic, and by China as racist.

“This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia — hysterical xenophobia — and fearmongering,” said Biden the day after the travel restrictions were imposed.

CNN ran a story warning that “the US coronavirus travel ban could backfire” and have the effect of “stigmatizing countries and ethnicities.”

The Chinese Communist Party’s official mouthpiece, the People’s Daily, called the ban “racist.”

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned it would increase “fear and stigma, with little public health benefit.”

https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/criticisms-of-trumps-coronavirus-response-are-sickening-devine/

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Oh, an opinion piece from the New York Post

Sound icon14.png

Billy Mays wrote: »

Sound icon14.png
    Be a good sport and please indicate what, if anything, in the piece is incorrect.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Billy Mays wrote: »

Sound icon14.png

I'm no fan of notobtuse (or indeed Trump) but I reckon he has a point here. Those travel restrictions look like a pretty smart move from a mid-March perspective. I doubt the NYP would be misquoting those criticisms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Trump's Coronation indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Poldsgold

Donald Trump should be forced to meet and shake the hands of every single American who catches Coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

President Trump confirmed the United Kingdom and Ireland will not be included in the 30-day travel ban from European countries. It’s obvious Trump doesn’t visit this website and read what most people here think of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Poldsgold wrote: »
    Donald Trump should be forced to meet and shake the hands of every single American who catches Coronavirus.

Did you make a new account to post this nonsense:pac:

joe-biden-bite.jpg

I see they are still going ahead with another democrat debate. But there will be no live audience because of the COVID-19 scare. Why... Sanders has already as much admitted he is beaten? Perhaps he's holding out for another home with a bigger swimming pool.

Expect Joe to get mad for no reason and start cursing (early signs of dementia). For all our sakes I'm hoping his wife Jill will remind Joe to remember to put on pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

notobtuse wrote:
    I see they are still going ahead with another democrat debate. But there will be no live audience because of the COVID-19 scare. Why... Sanders has already as much admitted he is beaten? Perhaps he's holding out for another home with a bigger swimming pool.

Again, WTF are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Fridge magnets

Probably just trying to talk about anything but the economy. Dow Jones is now at 21,776 points - at this rate, it will be lower than it was under Obama by early next week.

Under Obama the Dow Jones went from 8,200 points to about 19,900. For Trump to achieve the same as Obama did in his first term (13,500 - or a 65% increase), he needs the Dow Jones to be at about 33,000 by November. He is failing hard, but sure what else is new?

Probably just trying to talk about anything but the economy. Dow Jones is now at 21,776 points - at this rate, it will be lower than it was under Obama by early next week.

Under Obama the Dow Jones went from 8,200 points to about 19,900. For Trump to achieve the same as Obama did in his first term (13,500 - or a 65% increase), he needs the Dow Jones to be at about 33,000 by November. He is failing hard, but sure what else is new?
    LOL. Most everyone here has been saying the gains in the stock market are a result of Obama policies. So now the affects of the coronaviurs pandemic on the stock market have magically switched from Obama to Trump? What date did that happen?

notobtuse wrote:
    LOL. Most everyone here has been saying the gains in the stock market are a result of Obama policies. So now the affects of the coronaviurs pandemic on the stock market have magically switched from Obama to Trump? What date did that happen?

When did the fed qe program begin?

I have read this 4 times and I still don't have a scooby what it means. :confused:

In all likelihood, the US economy will be in a recession by the election. Trump has handled the crisis terribly and the markets also do not have confidence in how he's handling it. This is the first true crisis that he has faced. You yourself have regularly said how the stellar economy has decided the election outcome, the opposite also applies.

They were saying that in the first year, as he was largely just continuing Obama's policies. In November 2017, he started enacting more of his own policies like the billionaire tax cut. And for people like you, it has been the man thing to try and brag about with his presidency and rush to claim was all down to him, him, him:
    LOL. If Obama would have achieved either the employment rate or stock price levels we see under Trump we'd be carving Obama's likeness on Mount Rushmore.
    *Note - Obama achieved more in his first four years on the stock market than Trump, increasing it by 65%. Under Trump, it has never even reached 50% improvement, is now less than 10% improved, and in a few days will likely have gone down from when he took office. A failure.
    Under Donald Trump the USA is doing well, very well, in fact. Actually the USA my be at its strongest since the end of WWII (when we were the strongest nation in the world).

Labor participation rate is breaking records and unemployment is at historic lows. Wages are increasing at a faster levels for the lower income folks than those at the top. The stock market keeps breaking record highs.
    *Note - the labour participation rate has never come close to 'record breaking' under Trump's presidency, and by his own metrics unemployment is at about 35%.
    Look at the favorable results of Trump’s actions regarding stocks, jobs, and growth. His unprecedented successes for the betterment of the country sure don’t say much for the traditional politicians you laud.
    Say bye-bye to all of those, "Trumps actions" as you were so quick and eager to claim aren't looking so hot right now, eh?
    Seems all he really had to do is what Trump did to jump start the economy... Get rid of job killing regulations and institute tax cuts, and we get a booming economy, growth in stocks, and historical low unemployment rates. Sure would have cost us at lot less than $9 Trillion.
    Say bye-bye to those too. Seems all Trump really had to do was not encourage such wildly volatile markets, and to be prepared for situations like this - Obama's numbers managed just fine despite dealing with the N1H1 virus.

Stocks are now at 21,200 - a drop of about 1,250 more and the stock market is in worse shape than Obama left it. Stocks dropped 2,352 points today (9.99% of the total) - along with yesterday and Monday, these are the three biggest single day point losses ever recorded on Wall Street,

Fact is, unless the Dow Jones hits 33,000 by November, Trump is a failure on the economy when compared with Clinton or Obama. I can see why this is a reality you would rather ignore, despite spending the last few years like a smitten schoolgirl, claiming it was all thanks to Donald Trump.

• Advertisement

They were saying that in the first year, as he was largely just continuing Obama's policies. In November 2017, he started enacting more of his own policies like the billionaire tax cut. And for people like you, it has been the man thing to try and brag about with his presidency and rush to claim was all down to him, him, him:

*Note - Obama achieved more in his first four years on the stock market than Trump, increasing it by 65%. Under Trump, it has never even reached 50% improvement, is now less than 10% improved, and in a few days will likely have gone down from when he took office. A failure.

*Note - the labour participation rate has never come close to 'record breaking' under Trump's presidency, and by his own metrics unemployment is at about 35%.

Say bye-bye to all of those, "Trumps actions" as you were so quick and eager to claim aren't looking so hot right now, eh?

Say bye-bye to those too. Seems all Trump really had to do was not encourage such wildly volatile markets, and to be prepared for situations like this - Obama's numbers managed just fine despite dealing with the N1H1 virus.

Stocks are now at 21,200 - a drop of about 1,250 more and the stock market is in worse shape than Obama left it. Stocks dropped 2,352 points today (9.99% of the total) - along with yesterday and Monday, these are the three biggest single day point losses ever recorded on Wall Street,

Fact is, unless the Dow Jones hits 33,000 by November, Trump is a failure on the economy when compared with Clinton or Obama. I can see why this is a reality you would rather ignore, despite spending the last few years like a smitten schoolgirl, claiming it was all thanks to Donald Trump.
    Under Obama everything was so bad it only had one way to go... Up! Many experts contend the economy would have improved at an even faster rate without his interference, particularly the regulations he imposed, and his adding of almost $10 Trillion more debt to the taxpayer's backs.

Face it... The bounding US economy and low unemployment we've seen in the last 3 years was largely due to Trump’s tax cuts, eliminating crippling regulations, and his part in moving the US to energy independence… not from anything Obama did.

If a giant meteor crashed into the earth taking out Germany, France and Italy it would have a massive negative effect on markets around the world, including the US. How would this be Trump's fault? In the same vein how is the COVID-19 global pandemic, originated in China, Trump’s fault? What could he have done differently for the stock market not to have tanked so? If anything Trump’s call for calm is what kept the markets from going down faster than they did. Here I’d lay blame on the shoulders of the democrats and their media handmaidens who have touted and hoping for Coronageddon as the only means of Trump’s losing the election, IMO.

Boggles wrote: »
    I have read this 4 times and I still don't have a scooby what it means. :confused:
    Scooby? How old are you?

notobtuse wrote:
    If a giant meteor crashed into the earth taking out Germany, France and Italy it would have a massive negative effect on markets around the world, including the US. How would this be Trump's fault? In the same vein how is the COVID-19 global pandemic, originated in China, Trump’s fault? What could he have done differently for the stock market not to have tanked so? If anything Trump’s call for calm is what kept the markets from going down faster than they did. Here I’d lay blame on the shoulders of the democrats and their media handmaidens who have touted and hoping for Coronageddon as the only means of Trump’s losing the election, IMO.

...... hahaha ffs!

So Joe Biden is out there condemning Trump's response to the coronavirus. Luckily for us Joe has suggestions to combat COVID-19. Sadly, I guess his handlers (aka caregivers) couldn’t get Joe to comprehend the exact same courses of action he is proposing Donald Trump has already set in motion. Joe Biden... Once a plagiarist always a plagiarist, I reckon.

Thing is, the US and UK response to corona is considered to be abysmal...

So Joe Biden is out there condemning Trump's response to the coronavirus. Luckily for us Joe has suggestions to combat COVID-19. Sadly, I guess his handlers (aka caregivers) couldn’t get Joe to comprehend the exact same courses of action he is proposing Donald Trump has already set in motion. Joe Biden... Once a plagiarist always a plagiarist, I reckon.

Pretend it's just a flu and blame the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,588 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The absolute NECK of you accusing people of plagarism!

Here's the post where you copied/pasted from the WH website and altered it to make it look like your own work :pac::pac::pac::pac:
    • Almost 4 million jobs created since election.
    • More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.
    • Aided inn the creation more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since my election.
    • Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than THREE DECADES.
    • Economic growth last quarter hit 4.2 percent.
    • New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low.
    • Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded.
    • African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
    • Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded.
    • Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
    • Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years.
    • Youth unemployment has recently hit the lowest rate in nearly half a century.
    • Lowest unemployment rate ever recorded for Americans without a high school diploma.
    • Veterans’ unemployment recently reached its lowest rate in nearly 20 years.
    • Almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election.
    • The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans.
    • Committed to VOCATIONAL education.
    • 95 percent of U.S. manufacturers are optimistic about the future—the highest ever.
    • Retail sales surged last month, up another 6 percent over last year.
    • Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back in to the U.S. in the first quarter alone.
    • As a result of the tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years.
    • Helped win U.S. bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
    • Helped win U.S.-Mexico-Canada’s united bid for 2026 World Cup.
    • Opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines.
    • Record number of regulations eliminated.
    • Enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions.
    • Obamacare individual mandate penalty GONE.
    • Administration is providing more affordable healthcare options for Americans through association health plans and short-term duration plans.
    • Last month, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history. And thanks to our efforts, many drug companies are freezing or reversing planned price increases.
    • We reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs—saving seniors hundreds of millions of dollars this year alone.
    • Signed Right-To-Try legislation.
    • Secured $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic.
    • Aided in reducing high-dose opioid prescriptions by 16 percent during my first year in office.
    • Signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA telehealth services, walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.
    • Increased our coal exports by 60 percent; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high.
    • United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957.
    • Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord.
    • Cancelled the illegal, anti-coal, so-called Clean Power Plan.
    • Secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year.
    • NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016.
    • Process has begun to make the Space Force the 6th branch of the Armed Forces.
    • Confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration.
    • Confirmed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and nominated Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
    • Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.
    • Moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem.
    • Protecting Americans from terrorists with the Travel Ban, upheld by Supreme Court.
    • Issued Executive Order to keep open Guantanamo Bay.
    • Concluded a historic U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal to replace NAFTA. And negotiations with Canada are underway as we speak.
    • Reached a breakthrough agreement with the E.U. to increase U.S. exports.
    • Imposed tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum to protect our national security.
    • Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer, intellectual property theft, and their chronically abusive trade practices.
    • Net exports are on track to increase by $59 billion this year.
    • Improved vetting and screening for refugees, and switched focus to overseas resettlement.
    • Began BUILDING THE WALL. Republicans want STRONG BORDERS and NO CRIME. Democrats want OPEN BORDERS which equals MASSIVE CRIME.

And that was in just 3 years with democrats in the House spending all their time investigating and impeaching Trump. Dear gawd, just think how long the list will be after 8 years!!!!!

The absolute NECK of you accusing people of plagarism!

Here's the post where you copied/pasted from the WH website and altered it to make it look like your own work :pac::pac::pac::pac:
    I informed the White House I would be using that material and change the I's to He's in posts. They thanked me and had no objection.

Proper question.

If the election can't go ahead in November, what happens?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Proper question.

If the election can't go ahead in November, what happens?

Apparently Nancy Pelosi would become president on January 20th, 2021 if there is no election in 2020 (line of succession).

I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate, but if it is... you can expect that to be overruled in the coming months by William Barr and the SC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement