Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Fancy that... Mail in ballot fraud is a real problem. So will Twitter rescind their fact-checking alert or do we need a fact-checker to fact-check Twitter's fact-checking?

By the way...
    Twitter’s head of site integrity, Yoel Roth, has attacked President Trump and his team as ‘ACTUAL NAZIS” and smeared Trump voters as supporting a “racist tangerine.”

I'm SUUUUURE there is no bias there at Twitter against Trump, right?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/texas-ag-ken-paxton-trump-is-right-and-twitter-is-wrong-is-saying-mail-in-ballot-fraud-is-a-real-problem

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

notobtuse wrote: »
    Fancy that... Mail in ballot fraud is a real problem. So will Twitter rescind their fact-checking alert or do we need a fact-checker to fact-check Twitter's fact-checking?

By the way...

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/texas-ag-ken-paxton-trump-is-right-and-twitter-is-wrong-is-saying-mail-in-ballot-fraud-is-a-real-problem

The sarcastic comment and the link dump doesn't make a case. If you have actual evidence then by all means post it. Random quotes do not suffice.

It's not Twitter's fault that Trump is such a deeply flawed, weak little man.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Playing the victim

Straight outta the Trump playbook :rolleyes:
    I don’t need to 'play' the victim.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The sarcastic comment and the link dump doesn't make a case. If you have actual evidence then by all means post it. Random quotes do not suffice.

the irony about all this is that notobtuse would be the first to complain about freedom of speech being denied yet when his idol trump actually tries to curtail the free speech of twitter they do nothing. In fact they applaud trump for curtailing the free speech of twitter. notobtuse is the very definition of bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I don’t need to 'play' the victim.

We all see through your act don't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

By the way...

An opinion piece from a Republican on Fox...don't suppose you have actual evidence from an impartial source?

the irony about all this is that notobtuse would be the first to complain about freedom of speech being denied yet when his idol trump actually tries to curtail the free speech of twitter they do nothing. In fact they applaud trump for curtailing the free speech of twitter. notobtuse is the very definition of bias.

What is the free speech trump is curtailing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭briany

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I would like to see him banned and all of his millions and millions of followers to leave twitter.

Twitter would be out of business overnight if they lost that number of accounts. Advertising revenue would plummet. Stock price would plummet.
    Please ban him

Yeah, there are a good few names who could sink Twitter if they left and took their followers with them, although Trump may be the only one with a following so cultish that they'd actually follow through.

What is the free speech trump is curtailing?

he wants to use the government to stop twitter saying that he is lying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not bias, it's rank hypocrisy. They want free speech for themselves and actively want to censor any dissent. They can't because the one thing the founding fathers got right was limiting the capacity of a tyrant to establish a totalitarian dictatorship though I doubt that they thought that such a wretched creature as Trump would attain the presidency.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, there are a good few names who could sink Twitter if they left and took their followers with them, although Trump may be the only one with a following so cultish that they'd actually follow through.

how many would actually leave if trump was banned? he is not even the biggest account. Obama has a lot more followers.

First off it is not a link dump. 'Random quotes do not suffice'... The Texas Attorney General interview does not suffice? Then what in the world would suffice? It was information provided by the actual Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton that mail in ballots lead to fraud... you know... they guy that actually prosecutes people for these things. And I provided the link because I'm always asked to provide the sources for my comments... saved a step.

And it is Twitter's fault when they unfairly target Trump negatively with incorrect fact-checking.

But I'll agree with you on one point... it could be considered sarcastic by some, but I'd say snarky is more accurate.

First off it is not a link dump. 'Random quotes do not suffice'... The Texas Attorney General interview does not suffice? Then what in the world would suffice? It was information provided by the actual Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton that mail in ballots lead to fraud... you know... they guy that actually prosecutes people for these things. And I provided the link because I'm always asked to provide the sources for my comments... saved a step.

And it is Twitter's fault when they unfairly target Trump negatively with incorrect fact-checking.

But I'll agree with you on one point... it could be considered sarcastic by some, but I'd say snarky is more accurate.

I wasn't talking about the mail in voter fraud. I've no idea whether or not it exists on a problematic scale and I won't be going to Fox News to find out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

how many would actually leave if trump was banned? he is not even the biggest account. Obama has a lot more followers.

Absolutely - He has ~80M followers , how many of those follow him to just to see what guff he's going to come out with vs. those that follow him because they genuinely fully support him ? .And of those, how many would actually leave the platform entirely if he left? They might also join where-ever he ended up but most would continue to use twitter for all the other reasons they use twitter besides Trump.

Him leaving Twitter wouldn't really hurt them all that much to be honest.

I'd say all of Trump's followers for one... and then all their followers. Plus many of those that hate Trump also follow him, and how long would they suffer having to deal with two different types of similar social media commenting platforms. So in the end a biggly number, I'd say.

I'd say all of Trump's followers for one... and then all their followers. Plus many of those that hate Trump also follow him, and how long would they suffer having to deal with two different types of similar social media commenting platforms. So in the end a biggly number, I'd say.

ALL of trumps followers? all 80m of them? even the ones who follow him out of idle curiousity for whatever tonedeaf, abusive, idiotic thing he will say next?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not a chance , a tiny % might leave but most will stay put because they'll still want to follow Kim Kardashian or whoever.

Trump leaving Twitter would be a huge boon to wherever he ended up for sure , but the net impact to Twitter would barely register in terms of overall users.

I wasn't talking about the mail in voter fraud. I've no idea whether or not it exists on a problematic scale and I won't be going to Fox News to find out.
    Oh, okay. The quote is also found on the Fox News link. You can go there... they don't bite.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not a chance , a tiny % might leave but most will stay put because they'll still want to follow Kim Kardashian or whoever.

Trump leaving Twitter would be a huge boon to wherever he ended up for sure , but the net impact to Twitter would barely register in terms of overall users.
    You're might be right. The lawsuits that are now sure to happen because the makeup of Twitter culture will probably be targeting mostly people on the right and therefore bring Twitter down faster than Trump leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nope, not a chance. Many follow him to see what shìte hen is spouting and to laugh at his stupidity. A million maybe two would leave, no more than that.

• Advertisement

How long is your attention span? The very first comment I made on this I noted there is probably nothing Trump can actually do other than talk about it from the bully pulpit. And he is right to complain against the injustice that Twitter did to him.

Trump can personally sue Twitter, though... that would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Nope, not a chance. Many follow him to see what shìte hen is spouting and to laugh at his stupidity. A million maybe two would leave, no more than that.

Just had a look there and about 40 accounts I follow, follow him and not one of them would leave if he left. As you said, plenty follow him for the laugh.

How long is your attention span? The very first comment I made on this I noted there is probably nothing Trump can actually do other than talk about it from the bully pulpit. And he is right to complain against the injustice that Twitter did to him.

he has asked the government to investigate Twitter. what is that other than an attempt to censor?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,602 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Considering he has no legal grounds upon which to sue that would be a hoot.

he has asked the government to investigate Twitter. what is that other than an attempt to censor?
    Trump has the right to ask. And Barr has the right to refuse as he has in the past. Barr is the type of guy to easily say 'no way' unless he saw merit in an investigation.

Trump has the right to ask. And Barr has the right to refuse as he has in the past. Barr is the type of guy to easily say 'no way' unless he saw merit in an investigation.

LOL. Barr is trumps lapdog. he does what he is told. but evif barr refused to investigate it is still an attempt by trump to censor twitter. Even if the attempt fails it is still an attempt.

There's 330 million users of twitter, the number that will leave twitter entirely because of Trump leaving or being banned would be low. I'm reminded of when the exodus to Gab was supposed to destroy the platform.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Should I flag your post and provide an alert to warn readers that your comment is a lie because I FEEL they were in fact attacks and I'm not thin skinned? :p

If you classify those criticisms as vicious attacks, your skin must be paper thin.

There’s a report post button. Go ahead.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If he didn't lie the fact checking wouldn't be a problem. All the other limp d!ck excuses that his supporters dredge up on here and elsewhere are just pathetic noise.

Since Biden doesn't tweet lies I doubt he will be fact checked. What would be the point?

• Advertisement

What, you don’t think Trump has the right to an opinion and ask for an investigation of wrongdoing as everyone else? It's only if he takes some kind of questionable action on the matter that it would become an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement