Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Just had a look there and about 40 accounts I follow, follow him and not one of them would leave if he left. As you said, plenty follow him for the laugh.
    If Twitter follows through on their suspect fact-checking of comments and does so on a lot of other accounts, including those on the left (yeah, I had to chuckle at that prospect, also), a lot more people would probably leave for greener pastures as they would also feel their freedom of speech is unfairly and wrongly being infringed upon. I would.

Maybe I should start reporting people on the left to Twitter whose posts I BELIEVE are lies or just a bit untrue, and give one or two links to support my contention. I'll start with the ones with millions of followers. Maybe even start a ReportLiberalLies account. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,602 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Notice how Trumps draft EO against twitter “leaked online”

Trump is too chicken**** to formally enter such a farcical order into the federal record? Next he will complain about “the leak” and the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It really isn't though - The Ratio of Left/Right/Centre on Social Media or anywhere else is about the same as the ratio "in the wild" as it were.

It's the same with the "Main Stream Media" thing - It's main stream for a reason , because it's how most people think.

In the US context , "Conservatives" complain that their stuff isn't as widely seen as "Liberal" stuff - There's a simple reason for that , it's simply just not as popular - It's not a systemic filtration or blacklisting or any of the other Conspiracy theories out there.

Business delivers what the market demands - If there was a large body of people or opinions out there that weren't being represented then someone would offer the Service so they could make money off them.

Sorry. I wasn't talking about social media users. I was speaking about those who create platforms. Manage platforms and shape platforms. They have huge reach and power. So if they don't like your message, they do have certain power to manipulate. Trump is conscious of that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

notobtuse wrote: »
    What, you don’t think Trump has the right to an opinion and ask for an investigation of wrongdoing as everyone else? It's only if he takes some kind of questionable action on the matter that it would become an issue.

Except there was an investigation in to the death in which the coroner found that there was an underlying heart condition in and was a complete accident.
    Even the right sided Wa****on Examiner says of Trump's call for another investigation..

"This is neither a responsible use of the attorney general's time nor a precedent any conservative should want to set."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-wannabe-tyranny-of-trumps-attempted-social-media-policing?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

peddlelies wrote: »
    Can a moderator please tag Overheal's post as potentially misleading? Might be worth checking the last dozen while you're at it.

Not misleading the WH leaked online today before the late afternoon signing, which was 2 hours ago.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/05/leaked-trump-order-is-a-wide-ranging-attack-on-facebook-and-twitter/

Mods aren’t your fact checkers you can challenge any of my statements you like all on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

He will be in trouble again for this retweet....I suppose he prefer the 100k dead to be democrats ... pretty clear incitement to hatred/violence ?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265855459719892993?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jesus that's hyperbolic.

Unless I've read it very arse ways, has trump not said that if one side of an opinion is subject to fact checking then the other should be too in order to ensure that there is no political bias on the world's biggest social media site in the leadup to an election?

I don't agree with most of trump's tweets but to compare it to Soviet Russia is bizarrely inappropriate and undermines any point you were trying to make.

Cop on ffs. It's the latest in a long list.
    So much for smaller government, less government and free speech. Law is already compromised with Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

A simple solution for Trump. If you are getting a lot of abuse for your tweets, just stop tweeting. Give regular press conferences instead. Problem solved.

That's not how a free society works. Sounds like you're describing southern Italy that is run by the mafia.

If you are getting extorted by the mafia just pay them the money and everything will be fine. Fair critique, debate etc.. all fair game but I thought we all agreed that abuse is has no place in civil society.

A loud, brash, boastful, narcissistic, self-serving business man is the least of our worries if we discard our values in the process. When we forget our values, we lose our way.

If you must cheat to win a game; you make a mockery of the rules. Everything becomes fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Who fact checks the fact checkers?

https://twitter.com/dnvolz/status/1265490148613066753

Bowie wrote: »
    Cop on ffs. It's the latest in a long list.
    So much for smaller government, less government and free speech. Law is already compromised with Bar.

Oh ok. What you are saying is that Donald Trump is turning America into Soviet Russia by tweeting on twitter and signing an EO that they can't show bias as an entity towards a political party and still keep their "town square" reputation. Social media has become the new media and they should be held to account if they wish to add and include their company's beliefs and morals to one side or an opinion. They have become the new mainstream media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

With just a few months before the election and one of the first things they target is his opinion about mail in voting.

Just wow. Maybe twitter want to be broken up so they can cash it. It's the only thing that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What is the free speech trump is curtailing?

Calling the press enemy of the people is the first step in curtailing free speech. If you keep saying it over and over eventually one of two things will happen
    1. The public at large will start to believe it and consumer confidence for the press will all but disappear.
    or
    2. You will just be worn down so much by his constant threats and insults towards you that eventually you fall in line.

Its a classic tactic used by autocrats the world over this past 100 years or so.

Who will go to Minneapolis first?

Trump in classic Trump form: polarizing America, dehumanizing Americans and threatening to shoot them.

[url]

(Also note his threat to “send in the guard” is feckless, the Guard have been there all night)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I would like to see him banned and all of his millions and millions of followers to leave twitter.

Twitter would be out of business overnight if they lost that number of accounts. Advertising revenue would plummet. Stock price would plummet.
    Please ban him

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What, you don’t think Trump has the right to an opinion and ask for an investigation of wrongdoing as everyone else? It's only if he takes some kind of questionable action on the matter that it would become an issue.

i'm going to assume you are not actually stupid enough to believe what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There was an investigation into Lori Klausutis's death at the time and the police found no evidence of foul play. Trump's opinion doesn't matter and he doesn't have the right to drag that family through the ringer again 20 years later with what amounts to gossip and conspiracy theories. The fact you think his conduct in this matter is acceptable says a lot about you as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I guess we're all open to be challenged and when proven to be mistaken/misleading we should correct it and admit the mistake?

Trump just doesn't like when people point out his mistakes. And does not like admitting he made a mistake.

Everyone should be learning everyday.

Overheal wrote: »
    Trump in classic Trump form: polarizing America, dehumanizing Americans and threatening to shoot them.

[url]

(Also note his threat to “send in the guard” is feckless, the Guard have been there all night)

I can feel a new advertisement in the paper coming! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I guess we're all open to be challenged and when proven to be mistaken/misleading we should correct it and admit the mistake?

Trump just doesn't like when people point out his mistakes. And does not like admitting he made a mistake.

Doesn't like admitting when he made a mistake? I'm at a loss to find one example when he actually has admitted fault

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Your own post provides the answer.

Something that Twitter posted was wrong , it was pointed out and then they fixed it.

That's kind of the point of fact checking , if anything it shows the process works.

Trump could have responded to the fact check from Twitter with his own facts to show how his post was correct , but because those facts don't exist he threw a pointless temper tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,581 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Good deflecting it must be said. Classic Trump.

Obamagate
    Twitter
    George Floyd
    Etc.
    Etc

Meanwhile the deaths keep piling up from Covid-19 thanks in part to his mismanagement.

He'll deflect his way to a second term.

6 wrote: »
    Good deflecting it must be said. Classic Trump.

Obamagate
    Twitter
    George Floyd
    Etc.
    Etc

Meanwhile the deaths keep piling up from Covid-19 thanks in part to his mismanagement.

He'll deflect his way to a second term.

He got bored of COVID pretty quick. The task force etc. Too much like work I'd say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Someone informed them, they changed it. The system works. What exactly is your beef here?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice new anti-Trump republican campaign - testimonials from GOP voters that voted Trump in 2016, that won't in 2020. Lots of swing-state voters. Won't take many

https://rvat.org/#homePageStories

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is only one tweet Trump could make which would bring a smile :)

EZLzdtcWAAEJH7H?format=jpg&name=small

i'm going to assume you are not actually stupid enough to believe what you posted.
    There was an investigation into Lori Klausutis's death at the time and the police found no evidence of foul play. Trump's opinion doesn't matter and he doesn't have the right to drag that family through the ringer again 20 years later with what amounts to gossip and conspiracy theories. The fact you think his conduct in this matter is acceptable says a lot about you as a person.
    The comment I made that you and others are taking issue with was regarding Trump's comments on how Twitter wrongly fact-checked him. Please correctly read first before getting your knickers all bunched up.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The comment I made that you and others are taking issue with was regarding Trump's comments on how Twitter wrongly fact-checked him. Please correctly read first before getting your knickers all bunched up.

Apologies, I must have got distracted by the smell of bull**** off your posts.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Why is it that when theses type of mistakes are made by the media and liberal entities they're always originally negative against republicans? Seems to happen far too often to be considered a 'mistake.' Rush to judgement seems more appropriate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement