Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

notobtuse wrote: »
    Up until the economy took a dump because of an act of God (or a Chinese bio-weapons lab) .

How come it was Obamas fault when theres a 10th of the deaths from a virus when hes President, but nothing bad that happens when Trump is president is his fault?

Maybe none of the good stuff is down to him either?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

How come it was Ombamas fault when theres a 10th of the deaths from a virus when hes President, but nothing bad that happens when Trump is president is his fault?

Maybe none of the good stuff is down to him either?
    I never said Obama was at fault for the H1N1. But while we’re at it didn’t Obama wait until there was millions infected in the US, over 20,000 hospitalized, and over 1,000 dead before declaring H1N1 a national emergency? SARS was a nothingburger.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Ah yes, more selective outrage. You must have forgotten when in April of 2015, as rioters were destroying Baltimore following protests over the death of Freddie Gray, the president at the time condemned the “criminals and thugs" who tore up Baltimore.

“There’s no excuse for the kind of violence that we saw yesterday. It is counterproductive,” “When individuals get crowbars and start prying open doors to loot, they’re not protesting. They’re not making a statement. They’re stealing. When they burn down a building, they’re committing arson. And they’re destroying and undermining businesses and opportunities in their own communities. That robs jobs and opportunity from people in that area.”

Regardless, so Twitter and most here think Trump was glorifying violence by warning the rioters that if they break into private property, burn down buildings, steal property, and take part in physical violence, that law enforcement will stop them with deadly force if necessary? Call me crazy but doesn’t the government exist to protect people from stealing, destroying private property and inflicting physical violence on others?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Ah yes, more selective outrage. You must have forgotten when in April of 2015, as rioters were destroying Baltimore following protests over the death of Freddie Gray, the president at the time condemned the “criminals and thugs" who tore up Baltimore.

“There’s no excuse for the kind of violence that we saw yesterday. It is counterproductive,” “When individuals get crowbars and start prying open doors to loot, they’re not protesting. They’re not making a statement. They’re stealing. When they burn down a building, they’re committing arson. And they’re destroying and undermining businesses and opportunities in their own communities. That robs jobs and opportunity from people in that area.”

Regardless, so Twitter and most here think Trump was glorifying violence by warning the rioters that if they break into private property, burn down buildings, steal property, and take part in physical violence, that law enforcement will stop them with deadly force if necessary? Call me crazy but doesn’t the government exist to protect people from stealing, destroying private property and inflicting physical violence on others?
    "when the looting starts, the shooting starts", condemning rioters etc is fine but Trump is literally quoting a racist police chief who targeted black people... Trump is fanning the flames but sure, you'll defend anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Why is it that when theses type of mistakes are made by the media and liberal entities they're always originally negative against republicans? Seems to happen far too often to be considered a 'mistake.' Rush to judgement seems more appropriate.

I wouldn't agree. Think we should all welcome challenges, opportunities to learn and see things from another perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,593 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

notobtuse wrote:
    I’m curious why you say that about Trump. What are your reasons? Up until the economy took a dump because of an act of God (or a Chinese bio-weapons lab) under Trump the economy was booming, unemployment was at the lowest point any of us have ever seen, blacks and latino unemployment was the lowest ever, we had negotiated better international trade deals, other countries were contributing greater shares to NATO, his maximum pressure campaign is crippling Iran’s terrorist activities, and his tariff threats forced Mexico to crack down on illegal immigration. Being blinded by one’s hate doesn’t make him the worst US president ever. He might actually be the best president of modern times.
    He is a horrible human being. He is on the side of the wealthy not the ordinary man or the poor. He has done a horrendous job as the leader of the United States during this pandemic. He hasn't even built the wall that got him elected. He shows utter disrespect for anybody who has a different opinion to him.
    I've went against posters criticising him on occasion because the stuff they were at was ludicrous but they are mainly blindly Democrat supporters.
    No doubt in my mind that he is the worst POTUS in history. I though Bush Jr. Would be hard to beat for that title among modern Presidents but he has easily surpassed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

This is getting good now! His press conference is going to be fun in an hours time! Have a few beers cooling for it.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1266342941649506304

From the White House Twitter, When the looting starts the shooting starts!

"when the looting starts, the shooting starts", condemning rioters etc is fine but Trump is literally quoting a racist police chief who targeted black people... Trump is fanning the flames but sure, you'll defend anything.
    I gather a more polished politician would have said the same thing but in a way that wouldn’t completely offend the snowflakes delicate sens(less)ibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I gather a more polished politician would have said the same thing but in a way that wouldn’t completely offend the snowflakes delicate sens(less)ibilities.

You mean someone "presidential "?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes but we know how crucial an issue upsetting other people is for the American right these days.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You're calling others snowflakes when he's actually the biggest one of all. And a more polished politician would have tried to defuse the situation not make it even worse.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He is a horrible human being. He is on the side of the wealthy not the ordinary man or the poor. He has done a horrendous job as the leader of the United States during this pandemic. He hasn't even built the wall that got him elected. He shows utter disrespect for anybody who has a different opinion to him.
    I've went against posters criticising him on occasion because the stuff they were at was ludicrous but they are mainly blindly Democrat supporters.
    No doubt in my mind that he is the worst POTUS in history. I though Bush Jr. Would be hard to beat for that title among modern Presidents but he has easily surpassed him.
    Has not the ordinary man and poor benefited? I noticed Joe Biden, when asked what he would have done during the pandemic, merely mimicked what Trump had already done. A good amount of the wall has been built, but he has been thwarted at every stem in his endeavor to build the wall. Unlike every other president who disrespected anybody who has a different opinion, Trump actually is honest in his opinion... He's real!

But I respect your opinion. I have opinions too... I know Obama took over the title of worst US president ever from James Buchanan before his first term even ended.

You mean someone "presidential "?
    That's an odd way to spell 'phony.'

That's an odd way to spell 'phony.'

Trump is the biggest phoney out there, your love for him is actually kinda creepy, you're like the woman who's husband beats her but won't leave him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't see any difference anymore. Both deep in the murky abyss.
    Trump is the worst POTUS in history, Biden could be worse if he gets elected. I keep checking myself when I say that but I believe it's a real possibility.

Don't think he could possibly be worse. You must be utterly desensitised to Trumps abhorrent behaviour to believe Biden could be worse.

Yes but we know how crucial an issue upsetting other people is for the American right these days.
    The right is outraged over what happened to George Floyd. Although we may not have the complete story yet, we find it hard to believe anything would improve those officers handling of the situation. In law enforcement it is common practice that after a suspect is handcuffed and is no longer resisting arrest... THE FIGHT STOPS! Heads should roll in that police force. But that doesn’t give anyone the right to destroy property, steal, and commit physical violence. What is legitimate are peaceful protests and a relentless demand of justice for the victim's death. Yeah, we’re such terrible people on the right. :rolleyes:

In the wake of a murder of a black man by the police, he quotes a racist cop.... You have some weird sensibilities in terms of what you think is acceptable.

In the wake of a murder of a black man by the police, he quotes a racist cop.... You have some weird sensibilities in terms of what you think is acceptable.
    Yes, I'm not devastated and overcome by faux outrage, if that's what you mean.

What is legitimate are peaceful protests and a relentless demand of justice for the victim's death. Yeah, we’re such terrible people on the right. :rolleyes:

Remember the reaction from the right to Colin Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem?

Remember the reaction from the right to Colin Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem?
    Yeah, I remember we considered it disrespectful but within his right. What I don't remember is any of us destroying property, stealing, and committing physical violence because of it. Your point?

• Advertisement

What is legitimate are peaceful protests and a relentless demand of justice for the victim's death. Yeah, we’re such terrible people on the right. :rolleyes:

They've been peacefully protesting and relentlessly campaigning for years. They peacefully took the knee and were told they were being disrespectful. If you say they shouldn't resort to violence then you don't really understand their anger. Why wouldn't they want to burn cities to the ground, the only thing the white man cares about is money so hit them where it hurts.

They've been peacefully protesting and relentlessly campaigning for years. They peacefully took the knee and were told they were being disrespectful. If you say they shouldn't resort to violence then you don't really understand their anger. Why wouldn't they want to burn cities to the ground, the only thing the white man cares about is money so hit them where it hurts.
    Tell that to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tell that to Martin Luther King, Jr.

"A riot is the language of the unheard." He understood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The right is outraged over what happened to George Floyd. Although we may not have the complete story yet, we find it hard to believe anything would improve those officers handling of the situation. In law enforcement it is common practice that after a suspect is handcuffed and is no longer resisting arrest... THE FIGHT STOPS! Heads should roll in that police force. But that doesn’t give anyone the right to destroy property, steal, and commit physical violence. What is legitimate are peaceful protests and a relentless demand of justice for the victim's death. Yeah, we’re such terrible people on the right. :rolleyes:

Well, if one of them didn't put his boot on that lad's throat I imagine that that would have improved the situation. It's not difficult.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    His press conference is going to be fun in an hours time! Have a few beers cooling for it.

What time?

Do you have linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Just remember looters in Hong Kong are freedom fighters. Armed white men taking over democratic legislatures in the US are standing up for their rights. But those in Minneapolis are thugs and rioters.

"A riot is the language of the unheard." He understood.
    What King is most known for...
    The path to this dream, Dr. King said, must be through non-violence:

"Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights -- of meeting physical force with soul force."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What time?

Do you have linky?

What King is most known for...

And as Trumps zealots said only mere hours ago, that was the 60's, it was a totally different time.

• Advertisement

Well, if one of them didn't put his boot on that lad's throat I imagine that that would have improved the situation. It's not difficult.
    I remember way back in my hippie days (when hippies were targeted by the establishment with disgust and violence) being hit across the side of the head with a billy club by police while peacefully sitting and watching a Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention concert. Riot, destruction, stealing and physical violence never crossed my mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement