Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The National Guard are a bit more than the FCA a lot of them ended up in the middle East and 500 or more didn't come back.

I am not a trump maniac and his rambling about Dominating the rioters isn't great sounding but what I'm not seeing much in this thread is much about how these events are actually going to hurt Trump, it doesn't matter that people who were never going to vote for him hate him more, landslides in certain regions don't hurt him much due to the electoral college.

I personally think Biden has a good chance of winning as long as he doesn't run his mouth too much but where is the actual analysis of the impacts in terms of voters and districts, outrage overseas and among democrat voters doesn't tell us anything it's the swing districts that matter.

If Biden does win in November, that won't go down well with Trump fans.

Think the genie is out of the bottle in terms of how divided the US and that will take a long time to repair. They have been set back a couple of decades under this presidency.

A Biden/Obama ticket might be a good starting point to ease things a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

You are all missing the point....

Tonight Trump suggested deploying the regular army - not just the National Guard using some law dating back to 1807.......The NG are deployed many times for floods, fires, tornados but not the regular army.

So to be clear ---> Not NG alone but regular army also according to Mr T.

This just happened about 2 hours ago - tear gas explosions audible while he spoke....
    https://us.cnn.com/2020/06/01/politics/donald-trump-national-address-race/index.html

QUOTE=Melanchthon;113613862]The National Guard are a bit more than the FCA a lot of them ended up in the middle East and 500 or more didn't come back.

I am not a trump maniac and his rambling about Dominating the rioters isn't great sounding but what I'm not seeing much in this thread is much about how these events are actually going to hurt Trump, it doesn't matter that people who were never going to vote for him hate him more, landslides in certain regions don't hurt him much due to the electoral college.

I personally think Biden has a good chance of winning as long as he doesn't run his mouth too much but where is the actual analysis of the impacts in terms of voters and districts, outrage overseas and among democrat voters doesn't tell us anything it's the swing districts that matter.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

Maybe the tear gas will get him to wear a mask finally....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Look at some you guys over compensating thinking it's cool to dis Mr Trump. Every leader should model themselves on Donald Trump. Social media most certainly the BIG players has made you soft, neutralised to disrespect, keyboard warriors the lot of you who can't see that these scum-bag hooligans need to be stopped. If it was your business that was burnt, your windows that were broken, your car that was written off, etc etc. Trump is dealing with what has to be dealt with right now..in any civilised society this unacceptable behaviour would incur jail time,. 'CMN' is inciting trouble and violence,.that TV News 'CHINNEL' should be hacked of the air, before it's hatred for Mr Trump destroys the USA..... Even though Donald would never let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Look at some you guys over compensating thinking it's cool to dis Mr Trump. Every leader should model themselves on Donald Trump. Social media most certainly the BIG players has made you soft, neutralised to disrespect, keyboard warriors the lot of you who can't see that these scum-bag hooligans need to be stopped. If it was your business that was burnt, your windows that were broken, your car that was written off, etc etc. Trump is dealing with what has to be dealt with right now..in any civilised society this unacceptable behaviour would incur jail time,. 'CMN' is inciting trouble and violence,.that TV News 'CHINNEL' should be hacked of the air, before it's hatred for Mr Trump destroys the USA..... Even though Donald would never let that happen.
    Sorry, but I think Trump actually supports "keyboard warriors"? Bit odd for someone who (seemingly) supports Trump to be complaining about social media;

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1261126114799468549?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

So you think the Healy Raes should be in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Sorry, but I think Trump actually supports "keyboard warriors"? Bit odd for someone who (seemingly) supports Trump to be complaining about social media;

I don't think that tweet was written by Trump. Not enough all-caps.

So you think the Healy Raes should be in charge?

I actually only learned last week that they are into politics... I thought they were comedians.

He likes to call out fake news. He finds tons of it on the BIG name social media sites... He can also see now that some people have morphed from just shy weasly old keyboard warriors into similar persona in their real life and on News Channels..ahemmmm cough cough 'CMN' ahemmmm cough cough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    If Biden does win in November, that won't go down well with Trump fans.

Think the genie is out of the bottle in terms of how divided the US and that will take a long time to repair. They have been set back a couple of decades under this presidency.

A Biden/Obama ticket might be a good starting point to ease things a bit.

Biden on paper shouldn't be an off-putting choice I would have thought for anybody that's not a for hard trump fan or a die hard republican, he's very moderate really and shouldn't be scary to the swing voters, the man gave a speach to a white segregationist and helped with harsh crime bills.
    The issue is, he's old, with his age his vice president choices and so on will be really important and voters that aren't scared of Biden might be scared of who he will bring in, and these distrurbances will add to that feeling, Biden will have to thread carefully and Pelosi will have to work hard to keep more radical democrats in-line.

I'm not American though but it just seems to me the last week might actually be good for Trump, the virus is a big weak point for him and he can't rely on a good economy now, social tensions though are what got him into power the first time and the more that's the dialogue the better his chances, images of Mexican and anarchists flags being flown and American flags being torn down are exactly the stuff he needs to rile up his base and spread fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yesterday he hides in the basement. Obviously he wasn’t happy being called out as a coward, so today he gets the police to disperse the peaceful protest outside the White House with tear gas so he can go hold a bible outside a church? Does he have any idea what he’s doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Biden on paper shouldn't be an off-putting choice I would have thought for anybody that's not a for hard trump fan or a die hard republican, he's very moderate really and shouldn't be scary to the swing voters, the man gave a speach to a white segregationist and helped with harsh crime bills.
    The issue is, he's old, with his age his vice president choices and so on will be really important and voters that aren't scared of Biden might be scared of who he will bring in, and these distrurbances will add to that feeling, Biden will have to thread carefully and Pelosi will have to work hard to keep more radical democrats in-line.

I'm not American though but it just seems to me the last week might actually be good for Trump, the virus is a big weak point for him and he can't rely on a good economy now, social tensions though are what got him into power the first time and the more that's the dialogue the better his chances, images of Mexican and anarchists flags being flown and American flags being torn down are exactly the stuff he needs to rile up his base and spread fear.

His base has shrunk since 2016 because he didn’t build the wall or lock up Hillary or any of the other stuff he said he’d do. Even in 2016 his base wasn’t enough, it was the swing voters in swing states which Hillary neglected that got him over the line. He’s has done absolutely nothing for these people. All his virtue signalling and gas lighting doesn’t win them over. Up until a few weeks ago I would’ve thought it was 50/50 but if the election was tomorrow I think he would lose heavily. Throw in a ruined economy (pretty much the only thing he had going for him) and it isn’t looking good. The recession hasn’t even really started to bite yet and coronavirus is going nowhere with cases starting to tick up again in several states.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think that Trump is going to get so pissed off with the coronavirus and the race/police protests (and possibly his ratings) that he will suddenly announce that he is withdrawing.

Any semi-decent replacement candidate that the Republicans can select will probably trounce Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

MadYaker wrote: »
    His base has shrunk since 2016 because he didn’t build the wall or lock up Hillary or any of the other stuff he said he’d do. Even in 2016 his base wasn’t enough, it was the swing voters in swing states which Hillary neglected that got him over the line. He’s has done absolutely nothing for these people. All his virtue signalling and gas lighting doesn’t win them over. Up until a few weeks ago I would’ve thought it was 50/50 but if the election was tomorrow I think he would lose heavily. Throw in a ruined economy (pretty much the only thing he had going for him) and it isn’t looking good. The recession hasn’t even really started to bite yet and coronavirus is going nowhere with cases starting to tick up again in several states.

Well the wall is nearly built but even if that were not true, do you think the demographic who voted for Trump to built the wall and lock Hillary Clinton up are going to either not vote or vote for Joe Biden?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Here's a stat for you all. In 2016 91% of black people voted for Hillary Clinton. The black vote counted for 10% of the entire vote. If disaffected black people decide not to vote, Joe Biden is in big trouble.

The worst of the riots have been taking place in Domcrat run cities. What happens if a large section of Black people say "neither will change a thing, I'm not voting"?

And then what about all of those business owners and employees who are now out of a job or business, not because of Coronavirus but because of rioting and looting in those Democrat cities? If Joe Biden doesn't come out strongly against the looters, do you think they will vote for him?

Will White people who are watching on and generally lean democrat but can be swayed, will they look on and see total destruction caused by leftists and looters, do you think they may sway more towards Biden or Trump?

We've seen some great examples over recent years of how "Twitter is not real life". This could be the greatest of the them all.

The silent majority rules. They are not on social media sharing justice posts, or protesting in the streets. They are outside walking their dogs, sitting in their gardens, going to work, doing a bit of DIY, they are not oblivious to what is going on but they see it on the news for 5 minutes and go back to living their daily lives. Those are the people who will decide who wins, not the activists, not the celebrities or the blueticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,596 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The oldest first time up elected Democratic President in the last 100 years was Jimmy Carter at 52.
    Harry Truman doesn't count because he was incumbent having taken over upon the death of the great Franklin D Roosevelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

MadYaker wrote: »
    so he can go hold a bible outside a church? Does he have any idea what he’s doing?
    I don't even get who he is appealing to with that photo-op.

I mean, which group of people (voters) will see him holding a bible at a church and think 'yes, that's exactly what the president should be doing at this moment'?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't even get who he is appealing to with that photo-op.

I mean, which group of people (voters) will see him holding a bible at a church and think 'yes, that's exactly what the president should be doing at this moment'?
    His voters.
    He got a large vote bank from evangelicals last time.

Well the wall is nearly built but even if that were not true, do you think the demographic who voted for Trump to built the wall and lock Hillary Clinton up are going to either not vote or vote for Joe Biden?
    Thats the most likely.
    Noone who voted trump last time will vote for creepy joe this time.

So - do they not vote, or vote for the donald again?
    I'd be the latter if I had a vote.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The wall is nearly built? I think they've actually spent the last 3 years fixing old sections of fence. Last I heard there wasn't much new wall built.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The wall is nearly built :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ELM327 wrote: »
    His voters.
    He got a large vote bank from evangelicals last time.

hypocritical evangelists supporting a man with no religion that has committed pretty much all of the sins they oppose. Only in america can you find such stupidity

I genuinely can see trump being assassinated. It is becoming more and more likely and will be the final mail in the coffin for America which is on the brink of a catastrophic implosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

hypocritical evangelists supporting a man with no religion that has committed pretty much all of the sins they oppose. Only in america can you find such stupidity

Trump only has to be better than the alternative.

Same reason the Tories won in Westminster elections.

Damage limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭trashcan

blackbox wrote: »
    I think that Trump is going to get so pissed off with the coronavirus and the race/police protests (and possibly his ratings) that he will suddenly announce that he is withdrawing.

Any semi-decent replacement candidate that the Republicans can select will probably trounce Biden.

Don't see that happening. His ego wouldn't allow him to withdraw.

Danzy wrote: »
    Trump only has to be better than the alternative.

Same reason the Tories won in Westminster elections.

Damage limitation.

trump is a better bet for the evangelicals than a man who is actually religious and doesnt have a history of being an absolutely terrible person? i guess the evangelicals are even more stupid than i thought.

trump is a better bet for the evangelicals than a man who is actually religious and doesnt have a history of being an absolutely terrible person? i guess the evangelicals are even more stupid than i thought.

Posts like this in America (like hillary's "deplorable" remark) are the reason that Trump won last time.
    People don't like being told that their opinion is stupid just because someone as condescending as you disagrees with them.

I genuinely can see trump being assassinated. It is becoming more and more likely and will be the final mail in the coffin for America which is on the brink of a catastrophic implosion.
    The best thing for the democrats would be if biden died, then they could select a realistic candidate.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Posts like this in America (like hillary's "deplorable" remark) are the reason that Trump won last time.
    People don't like being told that their opinion is stupid just because someone as condescending as you disagrees with them.

so it isn't hypocritical for evangelists to support a man who is the antithesis of what they claim to believe in?

• Advertisement

so it isn't hypocritical for evangelists to support a man who is the antithesis of what they claim to believe in?
    I think condescending attacks on someone's deeply held religious beliefs is not going to end well if you actually want to teach them to think logically.

To use your verbiage I would class that as pretty stupid. Especially considering the effect it had in 2016

Also, Trump did a lot for the evangelicals. Look at his supreme court picks. This is the leading legacy a president leaves, as it takes the most time to change. All we need now is for RBG to kick the bucket and the supreme court will be stacked conservative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement