Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ELM327 wrote: »
    He was vetted by the democrats.

It lost steam because the record from the 70's was not correctly worded. That's BS. He assaulted that woman.

Who assualted who?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,596 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ELM327 wrote:
    He was vetted by the democrats.
    It lost steam because the record from the 70's was not correctly worded. That's BS. He assaulted that woman.
    Were you there that you can definitively state that he did it?
    Otherwise how can you possibly know?

It's a 50/50 she said, he said situation. We'll never know if it's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

So Joe Biden is now blaming Trump for up to 60,000 coronavirus deaths for not shutting down the country a month earlier. President Trump declared a national emergency on March 12 and released social distancing guidelines on March 16. I guess Biden is also suffering from memory problems, on top of everything else, because Joe held big rallies up through March 10.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

notobtuse wrote: »
    So Joe Biden is now blaming Trump for up to 60,000 coronavirus deaths for not shutting down the country a month earlier. President Trump declared a national emergency on March 12 and released social distancing guidelines on March 16. I guess Biden is also suffering from memory problems, on top of everything else, because Joe held big rallies up through March 10.

Don't worry I'm sure the media will tell the full facts and not support Biden just because he isn't Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 38,596 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don't worry I'm sure the media will tell the full facts and not support Biden just because he isn't Trump
    Yeah like Biden criticising Trump for banning non-essential flights from China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He's got multiple sexual assault allegations.

Funny how the presumption of innocence applies to Biden but not Kavanaugh isnt it?

So has Trump, will you be calling him "creepy Trump" from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

So has Trump, will you be calling him "creepy Trump" from now on?

Or pervy Trump? The man that said he would date his daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

crossman47 wrote: »
    Much as I'd like to believe so, I don't. I agree with the poster who said the rioting will help him.

Last time I felt that Americans couldn't possibly elect Trump but they did. Now I find it impossible to underestimate the intelligence of a wide raft of the electorate so I can see Trump winning again.

Nah he is toast. His desperation is gone hyper comical. The one thing that may have got him elected is devastated.

They could run Bill Cosby against him and he'd still lose.

“All Americans were rightly sickened and revolted by the brutal death of George Floyd,” Trump said, adding that “For George and his family, justice will be served. He will not have died in vain. But we cannot allow the righteous cries of peaceful protesters to be drowned out by an angry mob.”

“The biggest victims of the rioting are the peace-loving citizens in our poorest communities. And as their president, I will fight to keep them safe.”

“I will fight to protect you. I am your president of law and order and an ally of all peaceful protesters”
    And the liberal media takes issue with this?

Trump Derangement Syndrome has also reached pandemic levels.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Boggles wrote: »
    Nah he is toast. His desperation is gone hyper comical. The one thing that may have got him elected is devastated.

This is the exact mistake the Democrats made in the last election. They refused to believe it was possible for Trump to win. And it cost them the election.

The Democrats would be wise not to make the same mistake again. There are quite a few pathways for Trump to win again. The Democrats would do well to acknowledge this. For their own sake at least. They should not preordain Biden as they did with Clinton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

He's got multiple sexual assault allegations.
    A leak came out only a few days ago, that on top of the two dozen (I think it is?) sexual assault allegations against Trump, and Trump bragging about sexual assault on camera, and Trump bragging about inviting himself in and perving on naked underage girls backstage at his beauty pageants, that Donald Trump was a co-defendant alongside Jeffrey Epstein for violently raping a 13 year old girl in the 1990s.

What is your opinion on these facts?

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    This is the exact mistake the Democrats made in the last election. They refused to believe it was possible for Trump to win. And it cost them the election.

The Democrats would be wise not to make the same mistake again. There are quite a few pathways for Trump to win again. The Democrats would do well to acknowledge this. For their own sake at least. They should not preordain Biden as they did with Clinton.

It’s a predicament for Democrats. The hard left are now the core of the democrat party and unfortunately control the early stages of their primaries. If Biden moves to the center it will endear him to the saner moderate democrats but infuriate the hard left. If he continues to placate the hard left he loses the election. If he move to the center (easier said than done in this age without appearing phony) he causes an uproar from the hard left and still lose the election. Democrats have put themselves in a tough predicament for allowing the hard left to take over the party... which is not representative of democrats outside the left coasts and urban areas.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It’s a predicament for Democrats. The hard left are now the core of the democrat party and unfortunately control the early stages of their primaries. If Biden moves to the center it will endear him to the saner moderate democrats but infuriate the hard left. If he continues to placate the hard left he loses the election. If he move to the center (easier said than done in this age without appearing phony) he causes an uproar from the hard left and still lose the election. Democrats have put themselves in a tough predicament for allowing the hard left to take over the party... which is not representative of democrats outside the left coasts and urban areas.

You could reproduce that post almost verbatim about the GOP except replace "Hard Left" with "Hard Right".

Your last line could just as easily read
    Republicans have put themselves in a tough predicament for allowing the hard right to take over the party... which is not representative of Republicans outside some fly-over states and rural areas.

The GOP prior to Trump had to pander to the Tea Party to win the primaries (McCain picking Palin!) and then struggled and failed to move back to a place that would attract the middle ground and Independents.

Trump continued that pandering in a too large , very weak field and won. He then didn't move to the centre and squeaked past a mindbogglingly unpopular opponent in Clinton.

Over the last 3 years , Trump has dragged the GOP overton window rapidly to the right and purged or cowed any dissenting voices. It remains to be seen if that approach will get him re-elected or if it does long term electoral damage to the GOP (not that Trump cares about "long term" for anyone but himself).

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    You could reproduce that post almost verbatim about the GOP except replace "Hard Left" with "Hard Right".

The GOP prior to Trump had to pander to the Tea Party to win the primaries (McCain picking Palin!) and then struggled and failed to move back to a place that would attract the middle ground and Independents.

Trump continued that pandering in a too large , very weak field and won. He then didn't move to the centre and squeaked past a mindbogglingly unpopular opponent in Clinton.

Over the last 3 years , Trump has dragged the GOP overton window rapidly to the right and purged or cowed any dissenting voices. It remains to be seen if that approach will get him re-elected or if it does long term electoral damage to the GOP (not that Trump cares about "long term" for anyone but himself).
    Trump was a complete outsider and has changed all the rules for the republican party. Most don’t know what to really think of him but luckily his actions speak louder than his words which has strangely united us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Donnie certainly looked like an ally to the peaceful protesters who were cleared off the streets so he could have his silly little photo op outside St Johns. Let's see what a reverend from St John's thought of it

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/reverend-at-st-johns-church-says-clergy-was-tear-gassed-to-clear-church-for-trumps-cheap-political-stunt/

Oops.

Ok, she's only a lowly reverand. Surely the DC bishop is in agreement with Donnie's antics though...

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/i-am-outraged-d-c-episcopal-bishop-decries-trump-clearing-protestors-with-tear-gas-to-use-church-as-a-prop/

Aw shucks...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump was a complete outsider and has changed all the rules for the republican party. Most don’t know what to really think of him but luckily his actions speak louder than his words which has strangely united us.

His actions do indeed speak louder than words , but not necessarily in the way you think.

He may have "strangely united us" but he most certainly has not "United the US" if anything he has driven an even larger wedge in the gaping "Them and Us" dived that exists in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Boggles wrote: »

Trump is going to spin this that

"These are Democrat cities. Run by Democrats for decades with police departments run by their appointees. They have failed to help these people. If you want more of the same, vote for Sleepy Joe."

He'll also point to this news:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8378631/New-York-AG-says-Trump-not-dominate-New-York-threatens-sue-military-deployment.html

and say: "Hey, I offered to help but the Democrats refused that help and preferred the city burn"

His actions do indeed speak louder than words , but not necessarily in the way you think.

He may have "strangely united us" but he most certainly has not "United the US" if anything he has driven an even larger wedge in the gaping "Them and Us" dived that exists in the US.
    We have been a sharply divide country ever since hardcore liberals took complete control of the mainstream media and decided to make GW Bush the boogeyman. The divide has remained fairly constant since then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

We have been a sharply divide country ever since hardcore liberals took complete control of the mainstream media and decided to make GW Bush the boogeyman. The divide has remained fairly constant since then

Yeah. Bush went on to have a hit with Boogie Wonderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

"These are Democrat cities. Run by Democrats for decades with police departments run by their appointees. They have failed to help these people. If you want more of the same, vote for Sleepy Joe."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8378631/New-York-AG-says-Trump-not-dominate-New-York-threatens-sue-military-deployment.html

and say: "Hey, I offered to help but the Democrats refused that help and preferred the city burn"

Which will resonate, it's been politically advantageous to keep things as they are for the Democrats. All parties do that every where, to good or bad affect.

It's a looting orgy now.

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Donnie certainly looked like an ally to the peaceful protesters who were cleared off the streets so he could have his silly little photo op outside St Johns. Let's see what a reverend from St John's thought of it

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/reverend-at-st-johns-church-says-clergy-was-tear-gassed-to-clear-church-for-trumps-cheap-political-stunt/

Oops.

Ok, she's only a lowly reverand. Surely the DC bishop is in agreement with Donnie's antics though...

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/i-am-outraged-d-c-episcopal-bishop-decries-trump-clearing-protestors-with-tear-gas-to-use-church-as-a-prop/

Aw shucks...
    Yeah, Trump’s message at the burned out church that the violent protesters would not prevail was such a bad thing. Actually his speech wasn’t offensive at all, but we’re living in the period of ORANGE MAN BAD, so c'est la vie. I'm pretty sure those two pastors are getting chewed out by their superiors right now as their actions actually reflects more poorly on the Episcopalians than it ever would President Trump. Transfers to east Mongolia might be in their near future.

He will indeed say and do those things , but it won't win him votes in those places.

It might win him votes in Rural America where they have never seen any riots and where a black, brown or yellow face is rarely seen.

The only people that will think that Trump is doing a great job on this are people who have no exposure or understanding of multi-racial society.

He will indeed say and do those things , but it won't win him votes in those places.

It might win him votes in Rural America where they have never seen any riots and where a black, brown or yellow face is rarely seen.

The only people that will think that Trump is doing a great job on this are people who have no exposure or understanding of multi-racial society.
    That's a fairly racist thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Can anyone clarify what the rules are re: calling someone a rapist on this platform? Particularly someone who hasn't been convicted of rape. Funny how it always seems to be Trump supporters too. Classy bunch just like their "leader".

Can anyone clarify what the rules are re: calling someone a rapist on this platform? Particularly someone who hasn't been convicted of rape. Funny how it always seems to be Trump supporters too. Classy bunch just like their "leader".
    Perhaps we can get Brett Kavanaugh to rule on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I don't know the hard rule or if there even is one, but I can tell you I got a week long thread ban before for calling Trump a rapist (on the basis that he settled out of court, which he says innocent people should never do, for raping his wife in the 1990s), a pedophile (on the basis that he has bragged about perving at underage naked girls backstage at his pageants) and for stating he has illegally profited from his golf trips that have cost tax payers over $100mn during his presidency.

It was surprising given how regularly rapist/pedophile claims are made against people like Biden and Bill Clinton on here, but links to support these claims were not enough to avoid the ban according to the moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Why can't they both be true though, the Tea Party making the Republicans unelectable was something that was discussed a lot back when Sarah Palin was a bigger figure, that's a fact and it was Right or neutral people writing articles about it.
    Like even the Democrats recognise this issue why do you think Pelosi acts the way she does.

That's a fairly racist thing to say.

If you say so - It's Factually accurate though.

The highest levels of support that Trump gets for his Immigration policies and the wall for example come from States that have limited to no exposure to Immigration , illegal or otherwise. Actual border states and towns aren't that supportive , but white people in Rural Iowa and the like love it.

In terms of Election preferences

Black Voters - 76% to 12% in favour of Biden
    Hispanic - 59% to 28% in favour of Trump

Trump sending in the National Guard of the Army to "Dominate" the streets is not going to win him more support among those groups above.

At best it energises his existing base , it absolutely won't grow his base , which is what needs to happen if he wants to win.

Why can't they both be true though, the Tea Party making the Republicans unelectable was something that was discussed a lot back when Sarah Palin was a bigger figure, that's a fact and it was Right or neutral people writing articles about it.
    Like even the Democrats recognise this issue why do you think Pelosi acts the way she does.

Never said that they both couldn't be true , my point was just to highlight the fact that the same polarisation mentioned in the Democrats equally exists in the GOP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yeah, Trump’s message at the burned out church that the violent protesters would not prevail was such a bad thing. Actually his speech wasn’t offensive at all, but we’re living in the period of ORANGE MAN BAD, so c'est la vie. I'm pretty sure those two pastors are getting chewed out by their superiors right now as their actions actually reflects more poorly on the Episcopalians than it ever would President Trump. Transfers to east Mongolia might be in their near future.
    1. The church wasn't burned out

2. I'm pretty sure = I have no idea but in my delusional mind they are

3. Not 2 pastors, 1 pastor and 1 bishop

4. I prefer the term ORANGE MAN D!CKHEAD myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement