Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The bottom line is - They fired projectiles containing chemicals designed to cause skin and throat/breathing irritation , that they are trying to split hairs over the specific brand of device used is telling of how bad they knows this looks for them.

They fired "Skin/Breathing" irritant devices at peaceful protesters as well as Rubber Bullets - a projectile that even it's inventors , the British Army in Northern Ireland stopped using years ago because of how unnecessarily dangerous they are.

It's indefensible , please stop trying.

"Indefensible" ?? Are you kidding me??

They were throwing bricks and bottles containing caustic liquids. There were baseball bats and metal poles hidden along the street. There were attempts to grab officers weapons. It's inaccurate to keep referring to this specific group as peaceful, they were not.

President Trump has condemned the killing of George Floyd. Has called for justice to be done and has encouraged peaceful protesting. There is no need for this lawlessness. It's opportunistic and the liberal left media are just encouraging it as they know they can use it for political gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,617 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

notobtuse wrote: »
    You have every right to believe what you want. You weren't there, I wasn't there. I believe the police reports. There were body cameras on the police, no? I'm sure they'll be released soon. Police reports almost always hold up in a court of law.

Kinda stupid to suggest this is the case when it’s Chauvin and the other officers police reports that got them fired for not mentioning what actually happened.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yeah, Obama really left a great legacy of uniting race.
    Oh wait, no, less than a couple years after his administration, we have race riots.

So it’s Obamas fault? I thought Trump was the President.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The bottom line is - They fired projectiles containing chemicals designed to cause skin and throat/breathing irritation , that they are trying to split hairs over the specific brand of device used is telling of how bad they knows this looks for them.

They fired "Skin/Breathing" irritant devices at peaceful protesters as well as Rubber Bullets - a projectile that even it's inventors , the British Army in Northern Ireland stopped using years ago because of how unnecessarily dangerous they are.

It's indefensible , please stop trying.

Speaking of which, the CDC contradicted Trumps claims. It was in fact tear gas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/trump-demands-journalists-correct-stories-on-the-use-of-tear-gas-according-to-the-cdc-it-was-tear-gas/2020/06/02/bf68726c-a544-11ea-bb20-ebf0921f3bbd_story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

They were throwing bricks and bottles containing caustic liquids. There were baseball bats and metal poles hidden along the street. There were attempts to grab officers weapons. It's inaccurate to keep referring to this specific group as peaceful, they were not.

President Trump has condemned the killing of George Floyd. Has called for justice to be done and has encouraged peaceful protesting. There is no need for this lawlessness. It's opportunistic and the liberal left media are just encouraging it as they know they can use it for political gain.

Who were throwing bricks in layfette park?? Show us evidence apart from that one New York Post article

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Where is evidence for any of that??

That's the reason that the Park Police have given but as yet haven't provided a single solitary piece of evidence .

Did no one take a picture of these piles of Baseball bats and poles on the street when they were removing them?

On the one side we have Video and Photographic evidence in abundance , on the other side you have the Park police basically saying "Trust us , they were violent".

Who to believe? It's a conundrum alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It was a photo op... all presidents do them. Trump was simply telling the rioters we are here any you are not... the law and order will prevail, violence and mayhem will not.

Really? :)

tenor.gif

It looks to me like a confused simpleton groping a book.

I have never seen a president do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yeah, Obama really left a great legacy of uniting race.
    Oh wait, no, less than a couple years after his administration, we have race riots.

Yeah, what happened in the ensuing years?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Who were throwing bricks in layfette park?? Show us evidence apart from that one New York Post article

Those episcopal ministers? Violent bunch especially that woman minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

MkSKFkX.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Biden won all nine Democratic primaries yesterday but is still short of the delegate majority needed to get their nomination. Still time for the DNC to make maneuvers in order to replace him.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Biden won all nine Democratic primaries yesterday but is still short of the delegate majority needed to get their nomination. Still time for the DNC to make maneuvers in order to replace him.

I loath Biden and I have said it here numerous times,,,but why do that?

The guy is running up the score in the current primary, winning the battleground states in the polls an has always been a popular politician.

Their isn't anyone that has a better chance to beat Trump,,,and before someone says Bernie sadly that's never ever going to happen.

Why would they? He’s displayed amazing presidential leadership skills this past week while Trump was ‘just inspecting the bunker two or three times,’ threatening to shoot Americans, tear gassing the clergy and using their church to take a photo op with a bible he handled like it was burning his skin.

Obama doing a speech tonight, between him and Biden, they're doing a fine job of highlighting the president's failure to be presidential. And can't see people forgetting that come November.

Obama doing a speech tonight, between him and Biden, they're doing a fine job of highlighting the president's failure to be presidential. And can't see people forgetting that come November.

Really, is there anyone still 'undecided?' By now? Might as well go into hibernation between now and November.

It's flipping June ffs. There'll be speeches and conventions no one will watch as the outcomes are decided. The #IMPOTUS is a joke. People are more concerned with bread lines and unemployment, 2 things the #IMPOTUS isn't doing anything about. Plus he takes no responsibility.

And, given the unemployment story, plenty of people will have time to vote come November. Young Americans aren't racist. They're piss#d. They'll be at the polls. They'll be taking their friends. And their grands and parents, too.

The rioting's becoming mainstream. Just reading https://www.livescience.com/george-floyd-protests-coronavirus-safety.html

The implication is, "Go to a protest. It's ok... Here's some vanilla advice as to how to stay safe." It's because protesting the #IMPOTUS is mainstreamed now. There's no silent majority to back him up. He'll be lucky to get 10% of the electoral college vote.

I don't think the #IMPOTUS has it in him to try and overrule/overturn/impede the election. He's a beaten man, it's all over save the shouting. My guess is he's sucking up to Putin so he has a place to run to, come January 2020, and start his TV show, "Old man shouting at clouds."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Overheal wrote: »
    Why would they? He’s displayed amazing presidential leadership skills this past week while Trump was ‘just inspecting the bunker two or three times,’ threatening to shoot Americans, tear gassing the clergy and using their church to take a photo op with a bible he handled like it was burning his skin.

I'm not a fan of Biden in particular but he's displayed exactly what America needs over this past week. Dignified leadership in an extremely difficult situation. It's hard to imagine a more unsuitable person for public office than Trump, so pretty much anyone would be a step up from what we've seen from the "President". But I've been impressed with Biden this week overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Biden in particular but he's displayed exactly what America needs over this past week. Dignified leadership in an extremely difficult situation. It's hard to imagine a more unsuitable person for public office than Trump, so pretty much anyone would be a step up from what we've seen from the "President". But I've been impressed with Biden this week overall.

Biden is under no pressure. No one to answer to as hes unelected and all hes done is read a middle of the road speech (written by someone else) uncontested into a camera.

Appreciate anything dignified looks like superman compared to Trump and its all biden can do really but Biden has done about as much this week as Ellen DeGeneres has.

The Nal wrote: »
    Biden is under no pressure. No one to answer to as hes unelected and all hes done is read a middle of the road speech (written by someone else) uncontested into a camera.

Appreciate anything dignified looks like superman compared to Trump and its all biden can do really but Biden has done about as much this week as Ellen DeGeneres has.

Yet this task seems Herculean and nigh impossible for Trump to pull off. Ever. It’s not in his DNA. He doesn’t want to be a uniter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I loath Biden and I have said it here numerous times,,,but why do that?

The guy is running up the score in the current primary, winning the battleground states in the polls an has always been a popular politician.

Their isn't anyone that has a better chance to beat Trump,,,and before someone says Bernie sadly that's never ever going to happen.
    Yeah Biden is running up the score... because everyone else that might matter dropped out. And Hillary Clinton came within a whisper of beating Trump in 2016. She's their ace in the hole, IMO. I honestly don't think the DNC is completely sold on Biden. His popularity seems to rise when they keep him away from the cameras. You can't keep him mostly out of the public eye up until the election.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Billy Mays wrote: »
    MkSKFkX.png?1

What a surreal world. Like to say such an outrageous thing and become POTUS.

That's all he needs to do from here on in and he will win at a landslide.

Meanwhile this week.

Trump tear gassed a peaceful protest for ahhhhhhh - I suppose a "photo op" I still don't understand what he was doing.

Passed the 100,000 death mark from a virus that will go from 15-0 very quickly.

Threatened to shoot citizens, release savage dogs on them and dominate them with the military.

Then he rearranged the furniture in his bunker 2 or 3 times. :pac:

But the best part is, he has spent the last week convincing his base not to vote in a way which will play a very large part in the November election.

He has gone full Dotard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hillary was under no pressure either. Bookies had Trump at 7/1 the week of the election.

He's been in the public eye for the past few days and it's only improving perceptions... And no, Clinton will not be running in November.... Biden is pretty clearly the pick.

Yeah Biden is running up the score... because everyone else that might matter dropped out. And Hillary Clinton came within a whisper of beating Trump in 2016. She's their ace in the hole, IMO. I honestly don't think the DNC is completely sold on Biden. His popularity seems to rise when they keep him away from the cameras. You can't keep him mostly out of the public eye up until the election.

As long as he doesn't go in front of the cameras and tell people drink toilet duck, he'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Even that seems a major challenge to Trump. I remember they had to come out and correct about half of what he said in that Oval Office speech on how they were going to address the coronavirus.

Are we putting that down to pressure as well? The pressure of the office? Could we also say that if he isn't up to the pressure that the office brings, he shouldn't be in the office at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think the giant difference is Obama and Biden want / wanted to unite everyone in accepting their lot or 'this just how it be' ushering in reforms which protect an underfunded, frustrated and overstretched police force while protecting unemployed, frustrated and violent areas of poor people from those police. but thats just a bandaid, cameras to surveil the problem and more evidence for the worlds most litigious justice system to spend more dollars on being in a courtroom.

Trump has been working to reform the underlying causes, providing more police resources and more jobs at the bottom end of the ladder. Its much better to fix the underlying causes than just treat the symptoms. Lowering minority unemployment and adding additional police resources is a much better method to solve this. Getting tougher on crime while making the alternatives to crime easier to access is the way out of this, eventually you go over a tipping point where just getting a job and getting on with being a functional member of society is a much more obvious and normalised pathway in these communities, diminishing crime as the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Biden has always been popular and likable than Hillary though when it comes to the general public. The DNC swung behind Biden when it looked like Bernie had a chance so they will be fine with him. Biden for them is a safe choice especially as the alternative Bernie and even Warren would have made a lot of their doner class very uncomfortable.

I watched a lot of the DNC debates and Biden rarely had a good one and was constantly hammered in the media over his performances, heck supposedly Harris ended him in the first debate and when the voting started he trashed everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Biden is gonna beat biden.
    If you are voting trump you aint black

These two should be hammered home against old man biden soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What is it with Obama ,the guy is just hanging around Washington like a bad smell.
    Has any other former president been so reluctant to disappear from the limelight ,the guy loves himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement