Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

How's the deficit doing since Trump got elected?

Can you counter my point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Economically speaking Trump has actually been an excellent president

Superficially, you could claim that. But it only takes even a little bit of research to shoot that claim out of the water. Pretty similar to everything that comes out of Trump's mouth - do just a little research and you discover that what he's saying isn't in fact the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd apologise if I believed you.
    Ignore list for you so. Goodbye.

Can you counter my point
    Don't bother with him, he'll accuse you if being a liar in a minute without a good reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ignore list for you so. Goodbye.

Goodbye.

• Advertisement

Can you counter my point

I will when you answer the question I've asked you twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

notobtuse wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're going on about.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1268227785752862731?s=20

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don't bother with him, he'll accuse you if being a liar in a minute without a good reason for it.

Untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is using the ignore list not obstructing #FreeSpeech that Trump fans used to care about?

I will when you answer the question I've asked you twice now.

I believe I got in first. But to appease you I will say that the deficit has grown.

Now your turn

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is using the ignore list not obstructing #FreeSpeech that Trump fans used to care about?

Pretty sure everyone in the western world cares about free speech. It's a pillar of democracy.

Those in China, north Korea and much of the middle east don't have such luxury. It's not really a point you can use as a "gotcha"

• Registered Users Posts: 83,617 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DeanAustin wrote: »
    On the stock market though, the Dow was at about 19,000 when he took over and had gone as high as 29,000 before Covid. On the face of it, that's remarkable given that it had grown for 6-7 years at a similarly rapid pace under Obama from a very low base after the financial crash. I don't like Trump but he can point to the market as one sign of how well he did economically.

How he influenced that growth is another question. The Corporate Tax Cut did fuel some of the growth though to be fair.

Of course the stock market grew. That’s what the tax cuts and jobs act was for. Obama didn’t opt to sign in fiscally reckless tax changes.

A sugar high for the economy that so far has costs trillions. $5T of debt added under Trump! Sure doesn’t seem like this “booming economy” is paying it back. And at the first sign of trouble it crashed back to before he was even President.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does anyone know if the Dem VP candidate has been nominated yet?

pjohnson wrote: »

I'm not a Trump fan if that's aimed at me. Maybe you should read the thread and see some of the stuff I've put up about Trump and you'd realise that.

I'm against both leading candidates for Presidency. I'm still hoping, as unlikely as it is, that another candidate comes out of the DNC as the nominee.

No, that won't happen until the nominee is confirmed.

notobtuse wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're going on about.

He mailed in his ballot. Trump said mail in ballots are fraudulent. Therefore he committed voter fraud. His press secretary committed fraud 11 times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Oh dear, the irony of this :o

The man never stops giving pure golden content in fairness.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

He gaslights about everything he does or will do himself.

“VOTER FRAUD!” /attempts voter fraud

I believe I got in first. But to appease you I will say that the deficit has grown.

Now your turn

Prior to the pandemic, the deficit grew by 74% since Trump took over. Selling American children's futures to feed his ego.

The stock market has grown but cui bono? Billionaires have been the winners. Also gap between rich and poor has grown under Trump. Who did the 2017 tax cuts benefit most? The very wealthy. So the people who have benefited most from the stock market have been the very wealthy and those who benefited least have been the poor.

So Trumps's stock market and tax regime has benefited billionaires most of all while he further impoverishes poor people and destroys their children's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Its always a shame when he doesnt brave up and face the media himself. Always provides the goods.

• Advertisement

Prior to the pandemic, the deficit grew by 74% since Trump took over. Selling American children's futures to feed his ego.

The stock market has grown but cui bono? Billionaires have been the winners. Also gap between rich and poor has grown under Trump. Who did the 2017 tax cuts benefit most? The very wealthy. So the people who have benefited most from the stock market have been the very wealthy and those who benefited least have been the poor.

So Trumps's stock market and tax regime has benefited billionaires most of all while he further impoverishes poor people and destroys their children's future.

Am I correct that you are saying a booming stock market does not mean anything to normal people. It exclusively affects billionaires?

A booming stock market means confidence, means expansion, means normal people's pensions (401k) are worth more, means businesses take on more staff hence the record low unemployment.

A stock crash means no expansion, pension funds lost or devalued, lay offs and higher unemployment.

This is real not opinion. Maybe you don't understand basic economics.

In summary: good stock market good for everyone

Bad stock market not good for everyone ESPECIALLY the working poor as they lose jobs.

Don't worry about the billionaires they diversify with bonds. They wont lose out either way. Worry about the working poor

Am I correct that you are saying a booming stock market does not mean anything to normal people. It exclusively affects billionaires.

Correct. If you have an unequal society that you are making more unequal, you introduce tax cuts that favour the very wealthy and you borrow a trillion euros a year to plug the tax gap, then a booming stock market is meaningless to ordinary people.

Correct. If you have an unequal society that you are making more unequal, you introduce tax cuts that favour the very wealthy and you borrow a trillion euros a year to plug the tax gap, then a booming stock market is meaningless to ordinary people.

You are so so wrong.

You are so so wrong.

Sure. How have poor people been getting on under Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You are so so wrong.

Care to share some economic analysis to back up your position here?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Am I correct that you are saying a booming stock market does not mean anything to normal people. It exclusively affects billionaires?

A booming stock market means confidence, means expansion, means normal people's pensions (401k) are worth more, means businesses take on more staff hence the record low unemployment.

A stock crash means no expansion, pension funds lost or devalued, lay offs and higher unemployment.

Bad stock market not good for everyone ESPECIALLY the working poor as they lose jobs.

Don't worry about the billionaires they diversify with bonds. They wont lose out either way. Worry about the working poor

It does when the majority of the growth was driven by stock buy-backs fed by the Tax cuts so it wasn't "real" growth is was essentially the Government giving the stock market a bailout.

Clearly there is some benefit for those with 401k accounts and the like , but the majority of the benefits went to Corporations and major investment funds.

That growth in the stock market wasn't fueled by new business or market growth or any of the normal drivers of stock market growth, it was and artificial shot of adrenaline fed by a one off tax cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

If the democrat nominee is Biden is suspect he’ll pick Kamala Harris. He apparently committed to picking a woman as his VP and by picking Harris it’s a shameless ploy to appease African Americans for his ‘You ain’t black comment,’ and it rolls back her accusation early in the debate of pretty much calling Biden a racist over the busing issue.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Half of people don’t have a 401k so how does it help them?

You are so so wrong.

That’s no counter argument.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It does when the majority of the growth was driven by stock buy-backs fed by the Tax cuts so it wasn't "real" growth is was essentially the Government giving the stock market a bailout.

Clearly there is some benefit for those with 401k accounts and the like , but the majority of the benefits went to Corporations and major investment funds.

That growth in the stock market wasn't fueled by new business or market growth or any of the normal drivers of stock market growth, it was and artificial shot of adrenaline fed by a one off tax cut.

Plus workers haven't seen a real increase in their wages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement