Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,616 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Plus workers haven't seen a real increase in their wages.

Indeed adjusting for inflation people earn less today than they did 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Overheal wrote: »
    Indeed adjusting for inflation people earn less today than they did 40 years ago.

Under The Donald, adjusted wages have declined by over 4%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Care to share some economic analysis to back up your position here?

Yeah its above. It was part of the post your man ignored

Yeah its above. It was part of the post your man ignored

You edited your post while I was writing my post. As the time stamps will show. At least be honest. And your added piece doesn't counter any argument. At all.

Half of people don’t have a 401k so how does it help them?

They have jobs. Obviously

• Advertisement

You edited your post while I was writing my post. As the time stamps will show. At least be honest.

If I edited my post while you were writing yours how would I know.

You are still ignoring basic economics.

You don't have to agree with me and you have your own views on billionaires but that's how the world works

• Registered Users Posts: 38,599 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

notobtuse wrote:
    If the democrat nominee is Biden is suspect he’ll pick Kamala Harris. He apparently committed to picking a woman as his VP and by picking Harris it’s a shameless ploy to appease African Americans for his ‘You ain’t black comment,’ and it rolls back her accusation early in the debate of pretty much calling Biden a racist over the busing issue.

No chance it's Harris, her affair with her boss would be spun into her being a whore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

notobtuse wrote: »
    If the democrat nominee is Biden is suspect he’ll pick Kamala Harris. He apparently committed to picking a woman as his VP and by picking Harris it’s a shameless ploy to appease African Americans for his ‘You ain’t black comment,’ and it rolls back her accusation early in the debate of pretty much calling Biden a racist over the busing issue.

Looks like a Sarah Palin stunt all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

notobtuse wrote: »

Your thoughts on Trump committing voter fraud?

If I edited my post while you were writing yours how would I know.

You are still ignoring basic economics

You did edit it. Your edit is stamped 20.29. My post is stamped 20.29. You then went on to accuse me of ignoring your 'argument'. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway, please explain how ordinary people have benefited under Trump's stock market boom considering workers' wages have dropped, poverty has increased and the deficit has ballooned.

• Advertisement

They have jobs. Obviously

40.7 million people to disagree with you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,599 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Your thoughts on Trump committing voter fraud?
    Who cares? Minute point scoring is pointless, there's so much major stuff it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Of course the stock market grew. That’s what the tax cuts and jobs act was for. Obama didn’t opt to sign in fiscally reckless tax changes.

A sugar high for the economy that so far has costs trillions. $5T of debt added under Trump! Sure doesn’t seem like this “booming economy” is paying it back. And at the first sign of trouble it crashed back to before he was even President.

It grew at a fairly incredible pace and it's a bit unfair to say that the tax change was fiscally reckless. Firstly, national debt grew by $7tn under Obama from $6tn to $13tn. Secondly, the Corporation Tax in the US was one of the highest in the Developed World at 36% prior to Trump taking office.

It's also a bit unfair to say that "at the first sign of trouble it crashed back to before he was even President" when we were dealing with a once in a century event like a global pandemic. Furthermore, the Dow today is over 26,000 which is a substantial increase on what it was when Trump came into office. So the market has been remarkably resilient so far during a massive shock to the economy that even the most ardent Trump critic couldn't blame him for.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Who cares? Minute point scoring is pointless, there's so much major stuff it doesn't matter.

Who cares?

Trump and that poster seem to care a lot, they bring it up at every opportunity.

“Voter fraud? Oh that’s just points scoring!”

Really!?

It’s voter fraud not dijon mustard on a hamburger.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It grew at a fairly incredible pace and it's a bit unfair to say that the tax change was fiscally reckless. Firstly, national debt grew by $7tn under Obama from $6tn to $13tn. Secondly, the Corporation Tax in the US was one of the highest in the Developed World at 36% prior to Trump taking office.

It's also a bit unfair to say that "at the first sign of trouble it crashed back to before he was even President" when we were dealing with a once in a century event like a global pandemic. Furthermore, the Dow today is over 26,000 which is a substantial increase on what it was when Trump came into office. So the market has been remarkably resilient so far during a massive shock to the economy that even the most ardent Trump critic couldn't blame him for.

It grew at that pace because of irresponsible tax slashing and deregulation.

But sure yeah I’m a crank don’t come holler at me when the house of cards encounters a fart in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I'm not a Trump fan if that's aimed at me. Maybe you should read the thread and see some of the stuff I've put up about Trump and you'd realise that.

I'm against both leading candidates for Presidency. I'm still hoping, as unlikely as it is, that another candidate comes out of the DNC as the nominee.

Do you expect the whole political system to be overturned because you don't like the opposing team captain?
    You keep banging that drum every chance you get for some reason.

“Voter fraud? Oh that’s just points scoring!”

Really!?

It’s voter fraud not dijon mustard on a hamburger.

Yeah but Obamagate.

It grew at that pace because of irresponsible tax slashing and deregulation.

But sure yeah I’m a crank don’t come holler at me when the house of cards encounters a fart in the wind.

I don't know that it was irresponsible tax slashing though. That sounds nice but is it true? Also, to be fair to Trump, he came into office and did what he said. The American rate was very high, Trump promised to slash it and he did within 12 months.

I'm not calling you a crank but you are using rhetoric. The Covid-19 crisis has been far more than a fart in the wind and the market, so far, has been able to withstand the shock. That suggests it's far more resilient than you give it credit for and that it's based on more than just a short-term sugar high.

There's a lot of sticks to beat Trump with. I don't think there's any real evidence yet that he's been a disaster in this area.

You did edit it. Your edit is stamped 20.29. My post is stamped 20.29. You then went on to accuse me of ignoring your 'argument'. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway, please explain how ordinary people have benefited under Trump's stock market boom considering workers' wages have dropped, poverty has increased and the deficit has ballooned.

I'm not denying I edited it. I'm saying if I edited my post while you were writing yours I wouldn't know if you posted while I was editing mine because I was busy editing it! So I'm not lying and you obviously aren't either. I'm agreeing.

The wages dropping is a reduction of buying power. It's a global issue and its definitely a problem.

I will say though that with the pandemic recession, race riots, climate change, right v left and general division and hatred it would be better for America if Trump wasn't relected.

Although I don't think it will change anything overall. The world is getting sh1tty

• Advertisement

I don't know that it was irresponsible tax slashing though. That sounds nice but is it true? Also, to be fair to Trump, he came into office and did what he said. The American rate was very high, Trump promised to slash it and he did within 12 months.

I'm not calling you a crank but you are using rhetoric. The Covid-19 crisis has been far more than a fart in the wind and the market, so far, has been able to withstand the shock. That suggests it's far more resilient than you give it credit for and that it's based on more than just a short-term sugar high.

There's a lot of sticks to beat Trump with. I don't think there's any real evidence yet that he's been a disaster in this area.

The permanent corporate tax cut in 2017, which brought the rate from 35% to 21%, benefited who exactly?

I'm not denying I edited it. I'm saying if I edited my post while you were writing yours I wouldn't know if you posted while I was editing mine because I was busy editing it! So I'm not lying and you obviously aren't either. I'm agreeing.

The wages dropping is a reduction of buying power. It's a global issue and its definitely a problem.

I will say though that with the pandemic recession, race riots, climate change, right v left and general division and hatred it would be better for America if Trump wasn't relected.

Although I don't think it will change anything overall. The world is getting sh1tty

Agreed, the world has passed tipping point.

The permanent corporate tax cut in 2017, which brought the rate from 35% to 21%, benefited who exactly?

It benefitted businesses on the face of it. But unemployment continued to drop to its lowest rate since the 1960s so maybe some of that money helped to create jobs. Undoubtedly, some of it was used by companies to support their stock prices. Who do you think it benefitted and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

No chance it's Harris, her affair with her boss would be spun into her being a whore.
    I might be wrong but Trump getting elected kinda made that a non issue. Many thought it might be Klobuchar but the timing is wrong as she is now under scrutiny for a 2006 case involving the officer charged in George Floyd’s death.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

It benefitted businesses on the face of it. But unemployment continued to drop to its lowest rate since the 1960s so maybe some of that money helped to create jobs. Undoubtedly, some of it was used by companies to support their stock prices. Who do you think it benefitted and how?

Shareholders benefited most. By a country mile.

Shareholders benefited most. By a country mile.

What makes you say that and why is it a bad thing even if it is true?

What makes you say that and why is it a bad thing even if it is true?

It is true. It's a bad thing because the vast majority are owned by very wealthy people. The richest 10% of Americans own 85% of all stocks. People who don't need tax breaks. But Trump has made their tax cut permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If this was Biden having committed supposed voter fraud, you'd be suggesting that he should stand aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Of course the net GDP was higher. Even if you limp the economy forward at 0.1% growth, you can still shout every quarter about the GDP being the highest in history. It’s not saying anything of worth.

The system literally relies on continuous growth.

A thing I think a lot of Trump's supporters, and people in general, seem to not get their heads around is that the stock market does not track with regular people's lives. A simple example would be a lowering of minimum wages causing an increase in stock prices.

A strong economy doesn't mean people are doing better when that economy is fueled by desperate people living paycheck to paycheck.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If this was Biden having committed supposed voter fraud, you'd be suggesting that he should stand aside.

Amazingly notobtuse disappeared instead of giving his opinion on this, we must remind him next time he is online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement