Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,616 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So the New York Covid disaster was Trumps fault?

Bit of a glib deflection isn’t it.

Trump certainly wasn’t much dependable for the people of New York, or the rest of the United States, and failed on a number of levels.

Just one example:

https://www.gq.com/story/trump-admin-confiscating-coronavirus-supplies

How does Notobtuse feel about his governor declaring intention to remove the Robert E Lee statute from Richland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

DeanAustin wrote: »
    So the market has been remarkably resilient so far during a massive shock to the economy that even the most ardent Trump critic couldn't blame him for.
    Hold my beer...

;)

DrPhilG wrote: »
    ;)

What you quoted there and just participated in is known as Gaslighting.

Overheal wrote: »
    What you quoted there and just participated in is known as Gaslighting.

What you just posted is known as being a dry shyte. It was funny. (Gas)lighten up.

• Advertisement

PS I notice that nobody will give a straight answer to Silentcorner's question of whether Donald Trump or Andrew Cuomo is responsible for NYC's devastating Covid-19 figures.

A very disreputable organization. I’m not sure why anyone would take anything Project Veritas presents as remotely credible.

A very disreputable organization. I’m not sure why anyone would take anything Project Veritas presents as remotely credible.

Well, ok, but his facebook page has him holding a sign saying the time is right to fight in the streets..

Well, ok, but his facebook page has him holding a sign saying the time is right to fight in the streets..

So we have one guy not affiliated to anyone making wild remarks. Cool?

He’s no affiliated with the Sanders campaign. Not at the time this came out and nobody could confirm, with any confidence, when in fact he worked with the campaign.

TLDR I just don’t understand what your point is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

PS I notice that nobody will give a straight answer to Silentcorner's question of whether Donald Trump or Andrew Cuomo is responsible for NYC's devastating Covid-19 figures.

Trump says he's responsible. A true leader.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/398887965302091776?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

This kid knows what's up

1vklklw3ep251.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Perfect illustration: “America is burning” but the stock market is rallying...

Anarchists are doing the burning but job creaters are bringing back the prosperity

Anarchists are doing the burning but job creaters are bringing back the prosperity

Whatever the result the point illustrated being that the market doesn’t accurately depict how well normal people are doing in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That’s not what he asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Mattis not really holding back on Trump

Trump has responded with some more insults on Twitter, as well as to (bizarrely) claim that he was the one who gave Mattis the nickname "Mad Dog".

Yeah that was some statement he put out. Will it do much damage though? The cultists will just dismiss it.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    MadYaker wrote: »
    That’s not what he asked.

So, still no straight answer then?

I suppose that is an answer in itself. Faced with having to admit that Cuomo screwed up as badly or worse than Trump did, you'd all prefer to just deflect and bury your heads.

Can you not see how ridiculous that is? Blind loyalty to one side, clouded by hatred of the other?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

People are looking at this the wrong way.

It’s not about how many votes Trump will lose, it’s about how many voters will come out with the sole purpose of getting him out of office.

If the election was tomorrow, Trump is in big trouble. Six months is a long time in US politics but right now and since COVID, he’s been having a mare.

If COVID doesn’t happen he’d be a shoe-in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

notobtuse wrote: »
    If the democrat nominee is Biden is suspect he’ll pick Kamala Harris. He apparently committed to picking a woman as his VP and by picking Harris it’s a shameless ploy to appease African Americans for his ‘You ain’t black comment,’ and it rolls back her accusation early in the debate of pretty much calling Biden a racist over the busing issue.

So no matter how qualified she is, if Biden picks Harris it’s a shameless ploy?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Brian? wrote: »
    So no matter how qualified she is, if Biden picks Harris it’s a shameless ploy?

They're afraid of Harris so they need to get the attacks in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They're afraid of Harris so they need to get the attacks in early.

Well shes a woman. And shes darker skinned than Trump and Pence so she is literally the living version of their worst nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

I suppose that is an answer in itself. Faced with having to admit that Cuomo screwed up as badly or worse than Trump did, you'd all prefer to just deflect and bury your heads.

Can you not see how ridiculous that is? Blind loyalty to one side, clouded by hatred of the other?

The Trump administration cut the CDC Pandemic global response unit by 80% in 2018. They also didn’t listen to concerning news about a new virus coming from China late last year. Instead the Trump administration shipped medical supplies for a pandemic response abroad and threatened (mostly) democratic governors to do what Trump tells them to do, or be cut off from aid.

To add: The Obama administration left them instructions how to handle a pandemic. They lied about this fact and pretended they weren’t left anything by Obama.

So, to answer your question: Cuomo could have done better, no question about it. But the Trump administration is at fault here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well shes a woman. And shes darker skinned than Trump and Pence so she is literally the living version of their worst nightmare.

Educated too, no wonder Trump's hiding in a bunker.

Did Cumo screw up badly in relation to nursing homes? Absolutely. Did Trump screw up the entire federal response? Absolutely. I don’t have any blind hatred of anything. It was a “gotcha” question that seeked to simplify a complex issue.

Cuomos handling of the issue was light years better than trumps constant denial. Do you not him telling us all it would simply go away? It’s you who is blind I’m afraid. Whether it’s wilful ignorance or not who knows.

The WH got intel on this virus in January and ignored it. What can state governments do of the federal government doesn’t give them a heads up? Trump literally tweeted several times up until as late as March that the virus wasn’t a problem and would simply go away.

I wouldn’t mind if trump got a second term. Biden would be better for America but awfully boring for us.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Did Cumo screw up badly in relation to nursing homes? Absolutely. Did Trump screw up the entire federal response? Absolutely. I don’t have any blind hatred of anything. It was a “gotcha” question that seeked to simplify a complex issue.

Cuomos handling of the issue was light years better than trumps constant denial. Do you not him telling us all it would simply go away? It’s you who is blind I’m afraid. Whether it’s wilful ignorance or not who knows.

The WH got intel on this virus in January and ignored it. What can state governments do of the federal government doesn’t give them a heads up? Trump literally tweeted several times up until as late as March that the virus wasn’t a problem and would simply go away.

Well thanks for answering. I don't entirely agree, but you make fair points and at least you had the balls to actually respond rather than just deflect or post the Trump "I'm responsible" tweet and then bathe in the glow of post thanks.

In my opinion, Cuomo had the same head up and the same info as every other governor (i.e. late) yet his response was slower and less effective. He was making similar claims about the virus not affecting daily lives well past the point where he should have been locking down, the subways in particular.

And again this is not a partisan thing. Democrat governor Newsome in California nailed his response. Particularly with regard to PPE provision.

So I think that whilst Trump is responsible for the overall delay, from the point that the states were fully aware, some did well and some did not. Cuomo absolutely did not and most of the blame for the NYC disaster lies at his door.

• Advertisement

It’s also probably worth noting that the pandemic was at different stages in different states, much as it was at different stages in different European countries. I think they had thousands of cases in NYC before they even realised they had a problem, much like northern Italy. Although that’s not much of an excuse considering they had seen what happened in Italy and Spain and still they didn’t prepare properly. The flyover states definitely got more of a heads up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement