Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,596 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

your "im really a neutral trying to see both sides" schtick is just tiresome.
    Imo he has been the best poster in the thread and has clearly a good unbiased mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,611 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Californian tech workers mas exodus to texas from california in search of cheaper real estate has brought texas into play. Its a well documented phenomenon thats been going on for 5 years now that all of cali (except the really grim bits) have priced out these people.

That explains why Trump is 11 points behind Biden in national polling alright.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Imo he has been the best poster in the thread and has clearly a good unbiased mind.

Coming from you that's milquetoast praise..

I think at this stage that even Biden beats Trump. I think Trump has enraged too many people and you'll get people who don't often vote going to the polls to vote out Trump.

It's a sad day when the choice for POTUS is Joe Biden or Donald Trump.

I'd love if Biden failed to get the nomination or if we got an independent capable of winning an election but neither of those things are going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Any particular reason to attack me?

Maybe applying W's maxim, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

your "im really a neutral trying to see both sides" schtick is just tiresome.

Nice to see that this is how you respond to reasoned debate. Anyone who doesn't jump full on the bandwagon where Trump can do no right, is automatically the enemy.

That kind of attitude is the reason Trump is in the Whitehouse in the first place and in the unlikely event that he gets back in, it'll be for the same reason.

Andrew Yang was the only Democrat candidate who could see that attacking Trump was not the right path. The correct attitude was to focus on being good YOURSELF, not just build a campaign on how bad he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think at this stage that even Biden beats Trump. I think Trump has enraged too many people and you'll get people who don't often vote going to the polls to vote out Trump.

It's a sad day when the choice for POTUS is Joe Biden or Donald Trump.

I'd love if Biden failed to get the nomination or if we got an independent capable of winning an election but neither of those things are going to happen.

Meh. Not a single thing Trump has done will loose him a single vote from the core base he relies on. The electoral college system is what Trump cares about. He never would win a majority.

Overheal wrote:
    As in I'm another who doesn't go around with childish hashtag posts, doesn't go overboard about accusations.
    The fact that I'm able to stand here among all the horrible, biased, pathetic posts and be honest about my opinion which is that Trump is the worst POTUS in history and that Biden is an awful candidate.
    The fact that I laugh at those who accuse me of being a Trump fan and realise that anybody who does that really is not very smart.
    The truth here is that those anti-Trump are more pathetic than most, not all, of the Trump supporters and that is quite scary when you take a minute to think about it.
    Notobtuse has more manners than 95% of people who.post in this thread. He shows respect to his fellow poster regardless if their opinions and beliefs. How many of the rest of you can say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Nice to see that this is how you respond to reasoned debate. Anyone who doesn't jump full on the bandwagon where Trump can do no right, is automatically the enemy.

That kind of attitude is the reason Trump is in the Whitehouse in the first place and in the unlikely event that he gets back in, it'll be for the same reason.

Andrew Yang was the only Democrat candidate who could see that attacking Trump was not the right path. The correct attitude was to focus on being good YOURSELF, not just build a campaign on how bad he is.
    Agree Yang was the best candidate of all, (across both sides). A unique USP was offered but ignored (would've been a real winner factoring in COVID). Instead the Dem went with the most uninspiring possible pick, mistaking such for a 'safe' bet.

Anyway if it's another 6mths or so of mud slinging, protests and loooting, best just to prepare for a repeat of previous show.

DrPhilG wrote:
    This. The Democrats throughout history always held the high ground as far as good manners and etiquette we're concerned. They were always highly respectable people. Barack Obama was a shining light of this type of candidate.
    Even Gore and Kerry were great examples of how to hold your head up high and be above the hate and cynicism.
    The last five years has seen the Democratic party sink to the depths of Trump on many occasions which has been dreadful to watch for me.
    They need a new shining light to emerge and drag the whole party back to where it should be.

• Advertisement

Notobtuse has more manners than 95% of people who.post in this thread. He shows respect to his fellow poster regardless if their opinions and beliefs. How many of the rest of you can say that?

I know this one 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I thought the fact that Yang went and did an interview with Ben Shapiro spoke volumes.

Aside from that nasal speak of a voice that makes you want to punch him, he's an extremely vocal right wing advocate and the last guy on earth you'd expect to see a hopeful Democrat nominee sit down with, but Yang was happy to sit and have an open discussion with someone like Shapiro without resorting to mud slinging.

He may have been an outside shot, but he exuded a lot more class than most of the others.

Edit, I think he went on with Tucker Carlson too, who is an absolute gobshyte in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,582 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Trump is now gone out to 7/5 now. Biden 9/10 (betfair exchange).

Biden dropping in price bit by bit by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,582 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mattis burned him badly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The selection of Biden comes down to a very simple thing - The Electoral college.

Yang or Sanders or any of the others might very well have landed more Coastal votes than Biden and might even have won the popular vote by a larger margin than Biden will, but that doesn't matter in the US system.

What matters is Florida, Ohio , Pennsylvania , Iowa , Wisconsin etc.

Biden is and was the only Democrat candidate that put their name forward remotely capable of winning those States , it's as simple as that.

If the US Election was a "normal" election like most other countries , then people like Yang or Sanders or Warren are viable candidates , but it's not , so they aren't.

Biden is a horses for courses pick,no more no less.

Plenty of discussion to be had about the clear lack of "succession planning" by the Democrats in terms of developing younger potential candidates , but right now that's water under the bridge. Of the options that made themselves available , Biden was the only possible choice that had a chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

People might not realize it but the longer rioting, looting, violence and mayhem continue because of the inability of governors and mayors to gain control the better it plays out for Trump. Trump is right to threaten to use the military to stop the mayhem, even if he won’t actually do it. It sends a message to governors and mayors who have let things get out of hand and for too long. His rhetoric seems to have had a positive affect on NY governor Cuomo who is parroting Trumps message to NYC mayor De Blasio. Americans overwhelmingly are for law and order and support the calling of the military to assist police by 58%.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2020/06/03/poll-58-percent-of-americans-support-calling-in-military-to-assist-police-n487239

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The selection of Biden comes down to a very simple thing - The Electoral college.

Yang or Sanders or any of the others might very well have landed more Coastal votes than Biden and might even have won the popular vote by a larger margin than Biden will, but that doesn't matter in the US system.

What matters is Florida, Ohio , Pennsylvania , Iowa , Wisconsin etc.

Biden is and was the only Democrat candidate that put their name forward remotely capable of winning those States , it's as simple as that.

If the US Election was a "normal" election like most other countries , then people like Yang or Sanders or Warren are viable candidates , but it's not , so they aren't.

Biden is a horses for courses pick,no more no less.

Plenty of discussion to be had about the clear lack of "succession planning" by the Democrats in terms of developing younger potential candidates , but right now that's water under the bridge. Of the options that made themselves available , Biden was the only possible choice that had a chance of winning.
    Actually, if Hillary would pay more attention, and promise more goodies, to PA, OH and WI I think she could capture them if she would have run in 2020.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Overheal wrote: »

Anyone else have to google it...?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ettravel

just watching Independence Day 2 here, ah the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

notobtuse wrote: »
    Here’s something not being discussed but will most certainly become a issue in the election... Guns. Right now, with all the riots and mayhem by violent “protesting” groups, guns sales are going through the roof by law-abiding citizens. People want to protect themselves, their families, and their property. It’s no secret democrats and liberals are the gun grabbing group. But I think the riots have showed the imbecility of the democrat/liberal argument. That argument has been against people getting guns for self-defense because those matters belong in the hands of the police. And today these same people are demonizing the police in force 24/7. So people now can't trust the police to help them? Result... normal level-headed people are getting guns and it will factor in their votes come November.

There is zero place for guns in any type of civil society. It’s laughable that mostly republicans who defend the constitution and their right to have guns and no problem with people on the other side of divide having their constitutional rights quashed by a bully president in Washington the other night

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    Anyone else have to google it...?:confused:

Not a fan of Helmet then, excellent song on their album Betty called:

forgot it was on Crow sound track.

kilns wrote: »
    There is zero place for guns in any type of civil society.

That's alright for you to say, you don't live next door to 40 feral hogs.;)

There is zero place for guns in any type of civil society. It’s laughable that mostly republicans who defend the constitution and their right to have guns and no problem with people on the other side of divide having their constitutional rights quashed by a bully president in Washington the other night
    You’re allowed your opinion. Mine is different, as is quite the majority here in the US. According to 2017 statistic of gun ownership in the US by party affiliation, 41% of Republicans own a gun, 16% of Democrats own a gun, and 36% of Independents own a gun. In addition another 15% of Republicans don’t own a gun but live with someone who does, and the same goes for 9% of Democrats and 12% of Independents. Meh, I think we’re pretty civilized.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249775/percentage-of-population-in-the-us-owning-a-gun-by-party-affiliation/

You’re allowed your opinion. Mine is different, as is quite the majority here in the US. According to 2017 statistic of gun ownership in the US by party affiliation, 41% of Republicans own a gun, 16% of Democrats own a gun, and 36% of Independents own a gun. In addition another 15% of Republicans don’t own a gun but live with someone who does, and the same goes for 9% of Democrats and 12% of Independents. Meh, I think we’re pretty civilized.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249775/percentage-of-population-in-the-us-owning-a-gun-by-party-affiliation/

I think you're forgetting the Silent Majority of liberals who won't admit to owning a gun in a poll ;)

You haven’t responded on the peaceful protestors constitutional rights being taken away the other night. Was that wrong?

And yet how many people die at the hands of gun unnecessarily in the US each year? It’s debatable how civilized a society you are considering as a society you can’t responsibly handle guns. Like with kids if they can’t be responsible with something you take it away from them

You haven’t responded on the peaceful protestors constitutional rights being taken away the other night. Was that wrong?
    I didn’t know I was expected to respond. I don’t like peaceful protestor's rights being taken away. Heck, I marched in several protests myself in my hippie days. But when you have violent rioters mixed with peaceful protestors it is impossible for law enforcement to distinguish who is who in a large crowd and then crowd control mentality comes into place. After the fact is too late. It is the only way to enforce law and order in a large crowd situation.

And yet how many people die at the hands of gun unnecessarily in the US each year? It’s debatable how civilized a society you are considering as a society you can’t responsibly handle guns. Like with kids if they can’t be responsible with something you take it away from them
    A better question would be how many people died at the hands of legal guns, and how many of those who die by suicide (where they most probably would have found some method of ending their misery, anyway) from legal guns. I think you would find that overall number to then diminish quite significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I didn’t know I was expected to respond. I don’t like peaceful protestor's rights being taken away. Heck, I marched in several protests myself in my hippie days. But when you have violent rioters mixed with peaceful protestors it is impossible for law enforcement to distinguish who is who in a large crowd and then crowd control mentality comes into place. After the fact is too late. It is the only way to enforce law and order in a large crowd situation.

I've seen bouncers at gigs give it a better go than some of the videos of the police I've seen in daylight totally make a balls of it. They may need to up their game.

• Advertisement

Bullsh1t. You like everyone else saw the videos. There’s was no violence at that protest and then the police etc just attacked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement