Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

notobtuse wrote: »
    A better question would be how many people died at the hands of legal guns, and how many of those who die by suicide (where they most probably would have found some method of ending their misery, anyway) from legal guns. I think you would find that overall number to then diminish quite significantly.

What a ridiculous comment. What about any shooting at a school that’s one too many and do you know what would solve that........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I've seen bouncers at gigs give it a better go than some of the videos of the police I've seen in daylight totally make a balls of it. They may need to up their game.
    Wasn't officer Derek Chauvin also a bouncer?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

kilns wrote: »
    What a ridiculous comment. What about any shooting at a school that’s one too many and do you know what would solve that........
    You can't keep moving the goalposts and expect people to answer your yabut questions, ad nauseum.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I think he was yes?

And? The international perception is that you guys are rather incapable of handling peaceful protesters. I've been at protests where there were violent protesters, I was never in danger while the Gardaí handled it. Meanwhile the police in the US appear to be aggressors in plenty of the situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Might even have worked together.

Might even have worked together.

Is there a rule here regarding, I would have assumed Gardai didn't work as bouncers in Ireland? Maybe tho?

You can't keep moving the goalposts and expect people to answer your yabut questions, ad nauseum.

I haven’t moved any goalposts but ok How many have died by homocide at the hand of guns in the US I will tell you it’s 4.46 per 100,000. The nearest “civilized” country in Europe is 0.5 per 100,000 which is Greece. Speaks volumes but head in the sand stuff that there is no problem

And? The international perception is that you guys are rather incapable of handling peaceful protesters. I've been at protests where there were violent protesters, I was never in danger while the Gardaí handled it. Meanwhile the police in the US appear to be aggressors in plenty of the situations.
    I don't think 77 year old retired police officer David Dorn who was killed by violent protestors would agree with placating to the violence. Men like him, and the peaceful protestors, are the real heroes in this tragedy, not the violent protestors like Antifa, gangs, and some of BLM.

onsvfic8dr251.jpg

I don't think 77 year old retired police officer David Dorn who was killed by violent protestors would agree with placating to the violence. Men like him, and the peaceful protestors, are the real heroes in this tragedy, not the violent protestors like Antifa, gangs, and some of BLM.
    While it's incredibly tragic that he died, this doesn't justify how peaceful protesters are being handled. Also there's currently no indication that Antifa have anything to do with the violence/looting. Right wing groups do have a suspected involvement though.

https://www.ft.com/content/04ba905f-f965-4f7b-80ab-cccb0f912ddc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,606 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't think 77 year old retired police officer David Dorn who was killed by violent protestors would agree. Men like him, and the peaceful protestors, are the real heroes in this tragedy, not the violent protestors like Antifa, gangs, and some of BLM.

onsvfic8dr251.jpg

I don't think 53-year old working business owner David McAtee who was killed by violent thugs in uniform would agree. Men like him, and the peaceful protesters, are the real heroes in this tragedy, not the violent counter-protesters like NYPD, MPD, and some of LMPD.

QSRZEK7ZWY7XPNA6OZJVTR52BE.JPG

He was killed by people robbing a pawn shop, not protestors. For all we know the only link the perps had to the protests, was in taking advantage of the confusion caused by them.

People might not realize it but the longer rioting, looting, violence and mayhem continue because of the inability of governors and mayors to gain control the better it plays out for Trump. Trump is right to threaten to use the military to stop the mayhem, even if he won’t actually do it. It sends a message to governors and mayors who have let things get out of hand and for too long. His rhetoric seems to have had a positive affect on NY governor Cuomo who is parroting Trumps message to NYC mayor De Blasio. Americans overwhelmingly are for law and order and support the calling of the military to assist police by 58%.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2020/06/03/poll-58-percent-of-americans-support-calling-in-military-to-assist-police-n487239

I thought that was the very scenario all those militias were formed to rise up against.

He was killed by people robbing a pawn shop, not protestors. For all we know the only link the perps had to the protests, was in taking advantage of the confusion caused by them.
    Exactly, how do officers handle things when perps are intermingled and pretending to be peaceful protesters until they aren't?

That's the thing. Crime rates didn't suddenly plummet to zero when the protests started. People are still going to plan and commit crimes. Yes, some will even use protests as a cover.

I thought that was the very scenario all those militias were formed to rise up against.
    You now want armed militia's involved?

Exactly, how do officers handle things when perps are intermingled and pretending to be peaceful protesters until they aren't?

NOT with pre-crime.

So let’s kill em all then #lawandorder

Also assaulting people isn't exactly standard way of handling potential suspects in most nations. Drive by pepper spraying, just in case one of the onlookers is a criminal? It's all kinds of stupid to use that as a justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

You now want armed militia's involved?

Talk about obtuse...

• Advertisement

Also assaulting people isn't exactly standard way of handling potential suspects in most nations. Drive by pepper spraying, just in case one of the onlookers is a criminal? It's all kinds of stupid to use that as a justification.

The police just seem to have lost the plot a bit. A lot them ruining their careers/lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No no, they only get involved when they can't get a starbucks or go to Walmart.

No no, they only get involved when they can't get a starbucks or go to Walmart.

Or when they want to boycott that Starbucks because their holiday cups arent christian enough

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Trump is in trouble in Ohio too and no Republican candidate has ever won the Presidency without winning Ohio.

Ohio also has a remarkable record of predicting the President, since 1896 Ohio has correctly picked the President 28 times out of 30 elections, or a 93% success rate. Its a real bellweather state and if Biden takes it then chances are he will be the next President.

There was one video where they were waved down by a camera crew and some african americans who were trying to protect a store from looters. And the police turn up and start arresting the african americans straight away and the camera crew are trying to explain but the cops aren't listening and it's so frustrating to watch that there was just no order to it at all. They descended on the situation and just created chaos :)

Sounds like the Tear Gas debate is not over just yet:

"AP FACT CHECK: Trump denies tear gas use despite evidence":
    https://apnews.com/2aa7979e6fb88948895407f127e5e5b6?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    There was one video where they were waved down by a camera crew and some african americans who were trying to protect a store from looters. And the police turn up and start arresting the african americans straight away and the camera crew are trying to explain but the cops aren't listening and it's so frustrating to watch that there was just no order to it at all. They descended on the situation and just created chaos :)

Another where a shop owner says nobody arrived when he reported looting at his store, but 15 showed up to accost him the next day when he went in to clean up, jumping to the assumption he was looting then. Incidentally, he was a black man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Not just FOX News, but several people on here as well in a nutshell:

In case anyone isn't aware, Kevin Durant & Lebron James are among the most famous NBA players around, Drew Brees is among the most famous NFL players around. There's also a bit of irony in there that she refers to peaceful protest and people voicing their free speech (on FOX News of all places) as 'Stalinist' and 'totalitarian'.

Maybe if people had listened back then, what is going on today might not have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Ingraham is a truly awful person

• Advertisement

Not just FOX News, but several people on here as well in a nutshell:

In case anyone isn't aware, Kevin Durant & Lebron James are among the most famous NBA players around, Drew Brees is among the most famous NFL players around. There's also a bit of irony in there that she refers to peaceful protest and people voicing their free speech (on FOX News of all places) as 'Stalinist' and 'totalitarian'.

Maybe if people had listened back then, what is going on today might not have happened.

She is a complete joke along with a lot of the talking heads in the US like Hannity, Tucker, Maddie etc. it is a pity proper journalists get lumped in with these people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement