Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,595 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Michelle Obama would make it a landslide for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ELM327 wrote: »
    Whether she was black white or blue is irrelevant.
    She was responsible for a lot of the crap we see today. Barrack Hussein Obama was one of the worst presidents the US ever had. Certainly in the past 50 years, going back to Carter.

A first lady that would be respected is the likes of Barbara Bush (rip). A genuine lady who knew the role of a wife, head of house, and first lady of the country. Somewhat similar to Nancy Reagan.

Or (back a bit further) Eleanor Roosevelt.

ah, your issue is that she is too uppity. that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Based on your previous statements, that's a complete lie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

She was responsible for a lot of the crap we see today. Barrack Hussein Obama was one of the worst presidents the US ever had. Certainly in the past 50 years, going back to Carter.

A first lady that would be respected is the likes of Barbara Bush (rip). A genuine lady who knew the role of a wife, head of house, and first lady of the country. Somewhat similar to Nancy Reagan.

OK name one thing she is responsible for?

I am presuming you are not including Trump in that list of worst presidents.

Its funny that someone like you is in the very small majority as I would venture to say that Michelle Obama is probably one of the most popular women in America if not the world but go ahead live in your own bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

eagle eye wrote: »
    Michelle Obama would make it a landslide for sure.

Well she would certainly get the black vote out, the same black vote that reseeded in 2016.

• Advertisement

Obama would certainly make it an easy win for Biden but chances are she will not run.

My ideal candidate after that for Biden would be Val Demmings she has everything he needs. Black, a woman, former chief of police in Orlando, house manager at Trumps impeachment.

Plus she would most likely tie up Florida for Biden and that would be the end Trump once and for all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It really is funny how often there is a 5/6/7 year old tweet from Trump that applies so well to various aspects of his own presidency.

ELM327 wrote:
    Whether she was black white or blue is irrelevant. She was responsible for a lot of the crap we see today. Barrack Hussein Obama was one of the worst presidents the US ever had. Certainly in the past 50 years, going back to Carter.
    Obama wasn't great but he's not even close to being one of the worst.
    Donald Trump is far and away the worst POTUS in history. In my lifetime Nixon and Bush junior are next.
    ELM327 wrote:
    Michelle Obama did great work as first lady with military families and the homeless. She got involved in many issues outside of politics. She has never suggested, to the best of my knowledge, an interest in going into politics.
    There's no need to be afraid to commend and respect her for all the good work she has done as it's unlikely she will ever become an elected official.

[

osarusan wrote: »
    It really is funny how often there is a 5/6/7 year old tweet from Trump that applies so well to various aspects of his own presidency.

there is a trump tweet for every occasion.

Eleanor Roosevelt was incredibly involved in politics, heavily influenced her husband's decision making and continued to be political after that. She held regular press conferences while he was in office and wrote for newspapers. She also publicly advocated for civil rights and even publicly disagreed with her husband at times. Basically the opposite of Barbara Bush and far more in common with Michelle Obama.

The worst president in the last fifty years is currently in office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Eleanor Roosevelt was incredibly involved in politics, heavily influenced her husband's decision making and continued to be political after that. She held regular press conferences while he was in office and wrote for newspapers. She also publicly advocated for civil rights and even publicly disagreed with her husband at times. Basically the opposite of Barbara Bush and far more in common with Michelle Obama.

The worst president in the last fifty years is currently in office.

The worst president in the last fifty years left in 2008. Bush was waaaay worse.

The Roosevelts story is excellent and interesting. A marriage in name only for many years.

This is an excellent documentary

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75grcy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

there is a trump tweet for every bad occasion.

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Nal wrote: »
    The worst president in the last fifty years left in 2008. Bush was waaaay worse.

The Roosevelts story is excellent and interesting. A marriage in name only for many years.

This is an excellent documentary

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75grcy

Bush was not worse than Trump. Not by a country mile. Trump is way ahead of all other presidents when it comes to being an appalling person and POTUS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So you are saying that only people who kneel are entitled to an opinion? Or that it's wrong to believe in respecting the flag?
    Just because Donald Trump has an opinion doesn't mean you have the be against it.
    I despise Trump but I'll make my in mind up regardless.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinion. Including me expressing mine. See how simple that is?

That doesn't mean everyone is right and it certainly doesn't mean some opinions aren't stupid.

What exactly is the point of your post? I made a contradictory argument to your post. That's what a discussion forum is.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote:
    What exactly is the point of your post? I made a contradictory argument to your post. That's what a discussion forum is.

You said his Drew Brees grandfathers fought to give Kaepernick the right to kneel if he likes, Drew Brees doesn't think that.. How did you come to that conclusion?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You said his Drew Brees grandfathers fought to give Kaepernick the right to kneel if he likes, Drew Brees doesn't think that.. How did you come to that conclusion?

Ok. I don’t know exactly why they joined the army. Happy?

What a childish exercise.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bush was not worse than Trump. Not by a country mile. Trump is way ahead of all other presidents when it comes to being an appalling person and POTUS.

:confused:

Bush started an illegal war. Him, alone. He is directly responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of people, destabilising the middle east, is indirectly responsible for the death of millions more, his actions gave birth to the rise of ISIS, torture, the financial collapse, the Hurricane Katrina response...

Come back to me when Trump ticks a few more of these boxes and is a war criminal.

Utterly bizarre how people re write history just to bash the current president. He is dreadful yes. Really bad, but this is like when people downvoted the Godfather to 1/10 on IMDB and voted Batman 10/10. Weird, weird behaviour.

did they not fight to defend the country and, by extension, the constitution? Peaceful protest is protected by the first amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Bush started an illegal war. Him, alone. He is directly responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of people, destabilising the middle east, is indirectly responsible for the death of millions more, his actions gave birth to the rise of ISIS, torture, the financial collapse, the Hurricane Katrina response...

Come back to me when Trump ticks a few more of these boxes and is a war criminal.

Utterly bizarre how people re write history just to bash the current president. He is dreadful yes. Really bad, but this is like when people downvoted the Godfather to 1/10 on IMDB and voted Batman 10/10. Weird, weird behaviour.

So climate change?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

She was responsible for a lot of the crap we see today. Barrack Hussein Obama was one of the best presidents the US ever had. Certainly in the past 500 years, going back to Lincoln

Barrack Hussein Obama was one of the best presidents the US ever had. Certainly in the past 500 years, going back to Lincoln

Agree that he was a great President totally.

The Current President is the worst. He has a lot of blood on his hands. He might not have started a war yet but he may as well have when he says that bad people are good and he made the current riots in the cities across America way worse than they needed to be and tat is before you even mention the Covid-19 virus and his total lack of a response to it. Does he then admit if he made a mistake no because he is incapable of it or of learning anything new. He is devoid or compassion, empathy or emotion. He is a cold hearted nasty individual.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Billy Mays, @TheRepentent - Take 24 hours off from the thread for the posts I deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

kilns wrote: »
    Give me one reason why she would earn your disrespect other than the fact her name is Obama and she is black

Well yes, that is the point. That is why some republicans would/will never vote for her

Bush was bad and 9/11 was the reason he went to war backed by the majority of citizens but it snowballed badly from there, but I believe he was a geniunely decent man however he surrounded himself with people who were not so geniune.

No president has ever had a perfect tenure they have all done good things and bad things but no president in the history of the country has delibrately tried to divide a nation with hate and I am afraid Trump has, I dont know his motives behind it but i suspect it is his vanity. He loves the adoring crowds at his rallies (even though I am sure privately he has utter contempt for 99% of his base) and he plays to their insecurities and irrational hatred.

He has divided a nation with aid of a certain media outlet that will take at least a generation or two to recover from and that is why is the worst president in the history of the country which is not so great but could be great.

amdublin wrote: »
    Well yes, that is the point. That is why some republicans would/will never vote for her

If Jesus Christ the saviour for 99% of Trumps base came back to earth and was a democrat they would still never vote for him, they are that irrational

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

where are you getting that she is being trained to be ashamed to be white? do you read minds now?

For all I know her parents are MAGA and posted the photo as a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump takes a 15 point nosedive with evangelicals after his teargassing the clergy stunt

https://www.mediaite.com/news/days-after-bible-photo-op-new-poll-shows-trump-has-tanked-15-points-with-white-evangelicals-since-march/

Overheal wrote: »

They'll be back, they have zero morals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

In Texas though..

"Steve Vladeck, a law professor at the University of Texas School of Law, noted the hypocrisy of the judges making their ruling remotely because of coronavirus fears".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/05/27/texas-supreme-court-halts-expansion-of-mail-in-voting/#4d4eda6c3d06

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In Texas though..

"Steve Vladeck, a law professor at the University of Texas School of Law, noted the hypocrisy of the judges making their ruling remotely because of coronavirus fears".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/05/27/texas-supreme-court-halts-expansion-of-mail-in-voting/#4d4eda6c3d06

Interesting elements of the ruling though here
    However, the court ruled that the state cannot prevent clerks from approving applications, saying it is confident local officials will comply with the ruling “in good faith.”
    “We agree with the State that a voter’s lack of immunity to COVID-19, without more, is not a ‘disability’ as defined by the Election Code. But the State acknowledges that election officials have no responsibility to question or investigate a ballot application that is valid on its face,”

So it may come down to county level clerks making a decision , so you might have some a city like Austin and surrounding counties like Williamson accepting requests for mail-in ballots but the more rural ones denying them.

There's still another counter-suit going through the courts as well , so it's not the final word on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

kilns wrote: »
    If Jesus Christ the saviour for 99% of Trumps base came back to earth and was a democrat they would still never vote for him, they are that irrational

While yes, i agree!

However...there ARE some republicans out there who are now officially "republican, but not Trump".
    And that group is growing...

I so wish November was sooner. 5 months is a long time in politics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement