Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What exactly is happening today that makes it a great day for George Floyd??

IMO nothing.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It just looks like yet another example of where Trump says something incredibly insensitive and self-centered and others have to come out and say "Actually what he meant was...."

I just felt the written quote was taken a bit out of context after I watched the video is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Watched this live. Whatever way he meant it to sound it was a pure WTF moment. In my opinion it was totally tone deaf and I wonder who actually writes his speeches. To me it was crass and insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Watched this live. Whatever way he meant it to sound it was a pure WTF moment. In my opinion it was totally tone deaf and I wonder who actually writes his speeches. To me it was crass and insensitive.

You can kind of tell when he is reading the written speech and when he goes off piste! I'd say they do be going mad when he looks up and starts rambling because a few seconds later, foot in mouth :pac: He's a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The viral clip was taken out of context massively.

It was a clumsy statement but was nowhere as offensive as the misleading 15 second clip going around online was implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think the main problem here is that he's so incoherent, he's unable to stick to one topic for more than 30 seconds at a time. So he's rambled from talking about jobs and the economy to George Floyd and police violence and ended up tagging that awful statement on at the end.

There's definitely some mis-reporting here, but what he said was incredibly crass and insensitive to say the least. He's just not capable of getting across any sort of coherent message and then, when you add his total lack of humanity to the situation, it's a total sh!t show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Actually looks like it's taken out of context IMO

https://twitter.com/vplus/status/1268938124656291843

How the hell is it taken out of context, how under any spectrum is a great day for a man who died brutally one week earlier

and if you are referring to equality, you know black unemployment actually went up

some people:rolleyes:

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I think the main problem here is that he's so incoherent, he's unable to stick to one topic for more than 30 seconds at a time. So he's rambled from talking about jobs and the economy to George Floyd and police violence and ended up tagging that awful statement on at the end.

There's definitely some mis-reporting here, but what he said was incredibly crass and insensitive to say the least. He's just not capable of getting across any sort of coherent message and then, when you add his total lack of humanity to the situation, it's a total sh!t show.

and this is the man who so many trust to "make America great again"

Even Kelly now is coming out saying he is basically not fit for office

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The viral clip was taken out of context massively.

It was a clumsy statement but was nowhere as offensive as the misleading 15 second clip going around online was implying.

I think thats a matter of perspective - Personally I found it quite crass and rather unnecessary. If I was a member of the Floyd family I would think it was extremely offensive.

kilns wrote: »
    and this is the man who so many trust to "make America great again"

Even Kelly now is coming out saying he is basically not fit for office

I'm actually expecting more and more people to voice that opinion as the election approaches. There is no right-minded individual that could think that he is suitable for any public office.

Biden has his limitations, but Jesus, at least he appears to give a crap about the welfare of the country.

How the hell is it taken out of context, how under any spectrum is a great day for a man who died brutally one week earlier

and if you are referring to equality, you know black unemployment actually went up

some people:rolleyes:

Trump said that Floyd would be happy that we are moving towards fixing injustice while the misleading viral tweet was suggesting he was talking about jobs.

• Advertisement

I think thats a matter of perspective - Personally I found it quite crass and rather unnecessary. If I was a member of the Floyd family I would think it was extremely offensive.

Its not a great speech, but the viral clip said George would be happy with the job numbers when instead he was suggesting that he would be happy that America is hopefully moving towards a more just political system. Obviously this is unlikely to happen under he as president, but it was a hugely misleading initial tweet.

Trump said that Floyd would be happy that we are moving towards fixing injustice while the misleading viral tweet was suggesting he was talking about jobs.

The difficulty with this is that he is incoherent at times - he goes off piste , can be very hyperbolic and rambles. He doesn’t do himself any favours and tbf what he said could be taken either way .

eta - From watching it live imo it really wasn't as clear as he could have been and before I get slated for that my comprehension/ understanding is fine.

Ive no doubt that certain sections are making hay while the sun shines - but he does tend to provide plenty of opportunity to do so. while you can argue all you want re being misquoted , taken out if context etc its a reoccurring theme with his speeches. Its about time he wised up and stopped providing ammunition to his opponents. In my opinion thats on him.

I'm actually expecting more and more people to voice that opinion as the election approaches. There is no right-minded individual that could think that he is suitable for any public office.

Biden has his limitations, but Jesus, at least he appears to give a crap about the welfare of the country.

You would struggle to find any company other than his own family firm that would hire him as a their CEO and yet people who are quite intelligent within the GOP are happy for him to be "their CEO". I think its a fear factor at this stage, even slimeball Ted Cruz defends him constantly, considering what Trump has said about his family I can only guess its fear of Trump turning on him and the risk of losing his seat that keeps his kissing his ass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

His incoherent rambling is a problem that wouldn't be tolerated in any other professional environment, especially in a role which involved communication to the public or groups.

yes I watched the press conference and yes it was about equality but to reference him was crass and just summed up Trump and his lack of empathy for anything

His incoherent rambling is a problem that wouldn't be tolerated in any other professional environment, especially in a role which involved communication to the public or groups.

God knows what he would be doing if he didnt have his fathers money

The same with the his own spin offs. They could face difficult times ahead as the brand is now so toxic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Trump is working for the welfare of the country. Biden is just spewing soundbites that he knows will be picked up by the liberal mainstream media.

There are few politicians less sincere than Joe Biden and his history shows that. Couple of examples:

yes I watched the press conference and yes it was about equality but to reference him was crass and just summed up Trump and his lack of empathy for anything

That's fair and obviously its a little naive to suggest without huge change that we are moving towards a more fair system which Trump was implying.

I just think the initial viral tweet the 15 second one was incredibly cynical and misleading. Two wrongs etc.

The people around Trump will be annoyed the misleading viral clip is something they are very good at, so Trump with that speech did leave himself vulnerable today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCBS/status/1268925281257095170?s=19

Tells a black reporter to be quiet when she asks him about systemic racism. The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Tells a black reporter to be quiet when she asks him about systemic racism. The irony.

What can Trump do about the alleged systemic racism that Obama didn't do may I ask?

• Advertisement

You would struggle to find any company other than his own family firm that would hire him as a their CEO and yet people who are quite intelligent within the GOP are happy for him to be "their CEO". I think its a fear factor at this stage, even slimeball Ted Cruz defends him constantly, considering what Trump has said about his family I can only guess its fear of Trump turning on him and the risk of losing his seat that keeps his kissing his ass

The slimeball GOP senators are only supporting him because of his approval rating among Republican voters. If that starts to slide like it has been lately, you can expect the majority of them to jump ship.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    And still many others in the military support it. It's textbook free speech and they fought to defend it. You'd see the military split (in some fraction or another) in opinion on flag burning also. Some polled Americans identifying as Republicans for example want you to lose your citizenship if you burn the flag, even though as the party of law and order they should know the supreme court has affirmed, and re-affirmed the right to do so. And it's a tad bit fascist.

Not entirely. The impression I get is that the vast majority of the military support his right to kneel during the anthem (subject to the rules enacted by the NFL, the teams, or any other private body which the 1st Amendment has no power over). The vast majority, however, do not support his actually doing so. As the phrase goes, "I disagree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Not because they believe that his message is wrong, but because of the belief that the flag that they fought for should be above politics.

Trump is working for the welfare of the country. Biden is just spewing soundbites that he knows will be picked up by the liberal mainstream media.

There are few politicians less sincere than Joe Biden and his history shows that. Couple of examples:

Sure, you can always drag up a few black-and-white videos of Biden saying stupid stuff if you like - just for the record, I am not a Biden fan myself. I'm happy to provide upwards of 50 videos demonstrating disgraceful Trump conduct over the past 3.5 years but honestly, I can't be bothered with taking the time.

But if you actually and genuinely believe that Trump is working for anyone but himself, you either have some personal issues or else, as I've said a few times to you, you're so far down the rabbit hole of defending Trump's conduct that you're unable to reverse course. Either way, it's best not to engage with you too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Those unemployment figures were a surprise maybe the world isn't in the sh1t as badly as forecast

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

The Dems and their leftist media are obsessed about race. The MSM agenda as always is to divide people with allegations of racism and the Dems will come along and change everything. Same tricks they play on people every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

The Dems and their leftist media are obsessed about race. The MSM agenda as always is to divide people with allegations of racism and the Dems will come along and change everything. Same tricks they play on people every time.

Sure, you can always drag up a few black-and-white videos of Biden saying stupid stuff if you like - just for the record, I am not a Biden fan myself. I'm happy to provide upwards of 50 videos demonstrating disgraceful Trump conduct over the past 3.5 years but honestly, I can't be bothered with taking the time.

But if you actually and genuinely believe that Trump is working for anyone but himself, you either have some personal issues or else, as I've said a few times to you, you're so far down the rabbit hole of defending Trump's conduct that you're unable to reverse course. Either way, it's best not to engage with you too much.

You only need to go back a week for Biden's last gaff.

Incidentally, what do you make of someone like me, who believe's that his performance will probably end up somewhere like average compared to past presidents, considering I don't believe he is doing long term damage to the reputation of the US (certainly will be some short term damage, I'm not convinced that is a bad thing for American voters).

I think he is crass, inarticulate and a political novice who has had to handle an extremely hostile and partisan press..along with a Global Pandemic and Nationwide Riots and Protests....and he hasn't handled them well.

He has some traits I admire, his sense of humour, his strength for a man his age and his utter disdain for a media industry that is more concerned about conditioning readers than informing them.

I think he is a very real danger to future economic growth of this country if he gets another 4 years.

Do you think I have personal issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Simple question: Do you thing Trump was right to shush that reporter?

Those unemployment figures were a surprise maybe the world isn't in the sh1t as badly as forecast

Fingers crossed

The economy will bounce back very strongly, an awful lot of people have more money than they have ever had before on account of not being able to spend in a meaningful way...I'm betting they blow it over the next 12 months.

One thing I've learned about experts, too many of them are wrong too often to justify listening to any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What can Trump do about the alleged systemic racism that Obama didn't do may I ask?

I don't know, he didn't answer the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement