Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

90% of mainstream media is leftist, they distort the truth, sensationalise particular events to suit their agenda, take sentences out of context and frame an alternative narrative, tell blatant lies to their audience and when caught they move to the next lie.

Our own mainstream media like in other countries around the world copy and paste the inaccurate narratives and they all repeat the same lies. There are then those who read and view the inaccurate mainstream media news and believe the lies and there are those that see the MSM for what they are, dishonest and fake.

Where do you get your news from? Who do you trust?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

MSNBC is unashamedly left wing.

CNN does not strike me as left wing.

It just strikes me as rational.

I have not see a chart that doesn't class CNN as left leaning, and some of its opinion shows are far left. I don't think there is any TV channel that one could class as center which is terrible.

Unless you have cable to get Fox news then all your TV news channels would be left leaning.

HDwupyZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

HDMI wrote: »
    I have not see a chart that doesn't class CNN as left leaning, and some of its opinion shows are far left. I don't think there is any TV channel that one could class as center which is terrible.

Because people spend so much time attacking outlets that report on news unfavorable to their narrative that illusory truth begins to apply.

Say often and loud that the media is biased and poof you believe that.

Not sure how one expects it for example, CNN , individual news crews, journalists and writers being smeared, defamed, threatened etc. and to just grin and bear it. People are out there doing their level best to make the reporters of the news part of the news and then complaining when the media takes a dim view of a political faction in America that cheered when someone sent them bombs in the mail.

Suppose I attack you and threaten you how impartial will you still pretend to be?

Overheal wrote: »
    Because people spend so much time attacking outlets that report on news unfavorable to their narrative that illusory truth begins to apply.

Say often and loud that the media is biased and poof you believe that.

Not sure how one expects it for example, CNN , individual news crews, journalists and writers being smeared, defamed, threatened etc. and to just grin and bear it. People are out there doing their level best to make the reporters of the news part of the news and then complaining when the media takes a dim view of a political faction in America that cheered when someone sent them bombs in the mail.

Suppose I attack you and threaten you how impartial will you still pretend to be?

I wasn't here when Obama was President so I don't know how the media treated him. At the moment all I see are a bunch of left leaning anti conservative channels. I really do wonder what they will report when they don't have a Republican president to criticize, will they shift their political beliefs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

osarusan wrote: »
    CNN, NY Times and WaPo are all gunning for Trump, no point trying to deny it. They go beyond fair reporting of him, which is a shame because, firstly, they should just be impartial, and secondly, it's grist for his 'lamestream media' mill.

He regularly calls them the "enemy of the people" and treats their journalists with contempt, it must be difficult to remain impartial in the face of such disrespect and exaggerated criticism. If they are gunning for him, he gives them plenty of material to work with through his lies and ineptitude.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

osarusan wrote: »
    Seems like his 'This is a great day for George' comment was linked to 'a great day in terms of equality' (or whatever the actual quote was, that's the gist of it).

But what I didn't get was why it was a particularly great day for equality - what the link was between better-than-expected unemployment figures and equality.

The link in his brain was that the best kind of equality is economic equaility so the increases in Employment would make George Floyd happy.

So no media lies, no confusion, he was saying that George Floyd would be happy with the job numbers because that was "equality"

I wasn't here when Obama was President so I don't know how the media treated him. At the moment all I see are a bunch of left leaning anti conservative channels. I really do wonder what they will report when they don't have a Republican president to criticize, will they shift their political beliefs?

Here’s a sample.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/04rkt0/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-back-in-black---glenn-beck-s-nazi-tourette-s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAvq12Sa3VE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTf6CaTTc0

To be clear Obama didn’t really make many public comments about the media, but in relation to how FNC regularly reported on him (like above) he didn’t give them interviews. There was one single instance of a press corps spat with one reporter - and the entire press corps left and right rebuked Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If they are gunning for him, he gives them plenty of material to work with through his lies and ineptitude.
    Agreed - he gives them so much to work with, I think it's disappointing that they go too far.

Here’s a sample.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/04rkt0/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-back-in-black---glenn-beck-s-nazi-tourette-s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAvq12Sa3VE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTf6CaTTc0

To be clear Obama didn’t really make many public comments about the media, but in relation to how FNC regularly reported on him (like above) he didn’t give them interviews. There was one single instance of a press corps spat with one reporter - and the entire press corps left and right rebuked Obama.

Looks like he got an easy ride from the news outlets, seriously they were discussing what he was wearing I thought that was reserved for the first lady. I reckon he got usually SNL stuff that most politicians get. But the media does seem to reserve a special place with their contempt for Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Looks like he got an easy ride from the news outlets, seriously they were discussing what he was wearing I thought that was reserved for the first lady. I reckon he got usually SNL stuff that most politicians get. But the media does seem to reserve a special place with their contempt for Trump.

Obama never gave them the ammunition Trump does, he didn't say or do stupid things.

Do you not understand why though? Obama never called them an enemy of the state, never smeared and defamed reporters by name didn’t shush them at press conferences didn’t goad entire rallies of people to shout “Fox News sucks” etc or encourage them to beat the crap out of journalists because he would pay their legal fees, he didn’t call them fake he didn’t sue them he didn’t spend every day of his presidency telling clay out indefensible lies and guff.

Surely people are smart enough to grasp the nuance between the two presidencies and how they were regarded by the media. Even GWB was treated far more evenly by the press because lo and behold his administration did not wage an all out war against the 4th estate either, the same way Trump has.

Obama never gave them the ammunition Trump does, he didn't say or do stupid things.

That’s how it goes:

Trump: “the sky is green”

AP Fact Check: “the sky is not green”

MAGA: “****ing hell the media is so biased”

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And speaking of his press conference. The unemployment numbers are actually about 4% higher than the"Official" figures

Basically, the form/questionaire that employers fill out that is used to calculate the Unemployment rate has a section for the "reason".
    There's is an option there for "other" which is typically used when someone is out of work for something like bereavement leave or short term things like that - That category is excluded from the figures

It appears that quite a few employers ticked that box for the lock down, so the numbers should be quite a bit higher. Last month the reported number was 16% but in reality it was more like 20% or 21%.

This month's number is actually about 16%

Still a decrease month over month, but not the "Rocketship" that Trump called it.

The reporters are there to report the news not take out their personal gripes because they don't like him. At the White House press conference every single time you're just waiting on the gotcha or accusatory questions from the likes of Jim Acosta. Sure ask him all the tough questions, call him out on his tweets and other stuff. But in all his three years in office I don't think Acosta has ever asked a question that didn't seem to have malice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Do you not understand why though? Obama never called them an enemy of the state, never smeared and defamed reporters by name didn’t shush them at press conferences didn’t goad entire rallies of people to shout “Fox News sucks” etc or encourage them to beat the crap out of journalists because he would pay their legal fees, he didn’t call them fake he didn’t sue them he didn’t spend every day of his presidency telling clay out indefensible lies and guff.

Surely people are smart enough to grasp the nuance between the two presidencies and how they were regarded by the media. Even GWB was treated far more evenly by the press because lo and behold his administration did not wage an all out war against the 4th estate either, the same way Trump has.

I don't agree with Trump's comments on journalists in America.

But there is a serious discussion needed in America about their news media. It's atrocious. CNN and all the rest. They are so far now in the gutter, it seems almost difficult to see them coming out.

The reporters are there to report the news not take out their personal gripes because they don't like him. At the White House press conference every single time you're just waiting on the gotcha or accusatory questions from the likes of Jim Acosta. Sure ask him all the tough questions, call him out on his tweets and other stuff. But in all his three years in office I don't think Acosta has ever asked a question that didn't seem to have malice in it.

The amount of ridiculous questions asked and frankly, thick reporters. Trump seems to just play with them sometimes.

I, again, refer you back to the history of Trump rhetoric and gaslighting against the press. He latched onto Acosta early on and made him his public enemy at briefings. Acosta has been the target of death threats for years as a consequence. This is where you might say “well maybe he should keep his mouth shut etc. and kiss the ring” to which any other person would tell you that is surrendering to coercion against free speech.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/in-new-book-cnns-acosta-recounts-death-threats-after-his-clashes-with-trump/2019/06/10/e27effb8-887c-11e9-a491-25df61c78dc4_story.html

I, again, refer you back to the history of Trump rhetoric and gaslighting against the press. He latched onto Acosta early on and made him his public enemy at briefings. Acosta has been the target of death threats for years as a consequence. This is where you might say “well maybe he should keep his mouth shut etc. and kiss the ring” to which any other person would tell you that is surrendering to coercion against free speech.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/in-new-book-cnns-acosta-recounts-death-threats-after-his-clashes-with-trump/2019/06/10/e27effb8-887c-11e9-a491-25df61c78dc4_story.html

No one cares about Jim Acosta.

I think that's the point.

That's the state of America at the moment, journalists on both side have received death threats it's not reserved just for Acosta.

• Advertisement

No one cares about Jim Acosta.

I think that's the point.

So edgy

That's the state of America at the moment, journalists on both side have received death threats it's not reserved just for Acosta.

Name me one person who has received death threats that you view as still being objective, impartial, and not bothered by it?

Trumps visit to a Covid testing swap factory in Maine resulted in disaster. The facility had to destroy its entire day of production because Trump refused to comply with the mask protocol, contaminating the production line.

https://www.mediaite.com/donald-trump/trump-destroys-factorys-entire-daily-batch-of-coronavirus-swabs-by-refusing-to-wear-a-mask/

Name me one person who has received death threats that you view as still being objective, impartial, and not bothered by it?

Are you saying Jim Acosta is impartial and objective? To me he is more interested in being the news and not reporting it.

Are you saying Jim Acosta is impartial and objective? To me he is more interested in being the news and not reporting it.

You aren’t understanding what I’m saying at all. I give up.

If Jim Acota behaved the way he does in Ireland, you'd be calling him ridiculous .

Yet in America, he's great.

If Jim Acota behaved the way he does in Ireland, you'd be calling him ridiculous .

I’m not sure what this adds to the conversation.

Would a reporter threatened by the IRA, mailed pipe bombs etc. be an impartial reporter on the troubles?

Some critical thinking necessary here.

You aren’t understanding what I’m saying at all. I give up.

Is there anyone at all in the media who is unbiased? To me they all lean towards there own version of events. It's basically pick your flavor and away you go just ignore the other regardless of truth.

I almost can't wait to see what the likes of CNN will do once a Democrat gets in the White House. They have spent the past three years brown nosing the Democratic party and I'm not sure how they will get rid of the stink later.

Quite probably, but he is a product of the environment created by Trump. Respect is mutual and he treats the media like dirt so they respond in kind.

No question that the news media in the US is far more Style than substance though.

• Advertisement

I’m not sure what this adds to the conversation.

Would a reporter threatened by the IRA, mailed pipe bombs etc. be an impartial reporter on the troubles?

Some critical thinking necessary here.

I just think the whole media in America is so problematic.

I certainly wouldn't be defending CNN or Jim Acosta.

I wasn't surprised that CNN was targeted during the violent protests.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement