Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Jim Acosta is an opinion piece writer mascurading as a reporter. The guy has a chip on his shoulder and doesn't just reserve his contempt only for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Quite probably, but he is a product of the environment created by Trump. Respect is mutual and he treats the media like dirt so they respond in kind.

No question that the news media in the US is far more Style than substance though.

I agree with you, but I would argue that the media was like this way before Trump came around.

In fact, the toxic media environment in America allowed for someone so ridiculous as Trump to come into office. CNN legitisimed Trump at first by covering his speeches early on in the primary campaign once they noticed he was good for ratings.

Trump and his comments have worsened the discourse but it didn't begin with Trump.

I just think the whole media in America is so problematic.

I certainly wouldn't be defending CNN or Jim Acosta.

I wasn't surprised that CNN was targeted during the violent protests.

You seem to be thinking violating freedom of press by the police is to be expected? The president creating an atmosphere where the press are violently targeted isn't a problem in your books?

You seem to be thinking violating freedom of press by the police is to be expected? The president creating an atmosphere where the press are violently targeted isn't a problem in your books?

The people targeting CNN weren't Trump supporters.

Black Americans know that CNN and all the rest don't represent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The people targeting CNN weren't Trump supporters.

You have irrefutable evidence of that?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

None. I wasn't there. But it's common sense?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

HDMI wrote: »
    I wasn't here when Obama was President so I don't know how the media treated him. At the moment all I see are a bunch of left leaning anti conservative channels. I really do wonder what they will report when they don't have a Republican president to criticize, will they shift their political beliefs?

Anti conservative? Trump isn’t conservative. Conservativism is about keeping government out of people’s lives. Not demagoguery. A real conservative would be appalled at the idea of deploying the army on the streets.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Anti conservative? Trump isn’t conservative. Conservativism is about keeping government out of people’s lives. Not demagoguery. A real conservative would be appalled at the idea of deploying the army on the streets.

Has the army been deployed?

A leader of the country is within his right to maintain law and order and to quell illegal disturbances.

Conservative leaders are known for supporting law and order. So it's hardly a surprise that he would want to restore calm.

We'd expect nothing less here as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump Contaminates Swab Factory By Refusing To Wear A Mask
    The nation is still in the midst of a swab shortage that is limiting the capacity of coronavirus testing, so any number of swabs that were thrown away equal a delay in sick Americans not getting tested because Donald Trump refuses to wear a mask.

Trump doesn’t have a health reason for not wearing a mask. He doesn’t want to wear a mask because he thinks he will look bad and weak if he follows safety measures.

It is not a secret why the swabs were thrown away. Any swab produced while Trump was visiting was potentially contaminated and unsafe, because the President didn’t follow procedures.

At a time when swabs are needed, Trump put himself first and contaminated a factory for a photo op.

Another ridiculous act, for a photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

A leader of the country is within his right to maintain law and order and to quell illegal disturbances. .

Does he also have the right to disperse peaceful protesters with tear gas? The court case will be interesting...

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    Anti conservative? A real conservative would be appalled at the idea of deploying the army on the streets.

It's not like it wasn't done before by Republican presidents. It was also done by Democratic presidents but the Democrats were not appalled then. Again it's whatever suits each other's narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »

CNN was one of the first places hit by the protests. I don't think there was any Trump supporters among them.

AP20151071301160.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
    https://twitter.com/fernalfonso/status/1266512702958112768

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I suppose this is the mainstream media's fault, distorting the truth again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A leader of the country is within his right to maintain law and order and to quell illegal disturbances.

Conservative leaders are known for supporting law and order. So it's hardly a surprise that he would want to restore calm.

There have been a few posts here lately about how Trump's actions this week will be his downfall in November and how Biden really has to do nothing and just watch Trump self destruct.

I think that's all delusional.

Trump is about law and order and voters prefer law and order to looting and street violence.

In the grand scheme of things the death of a convicted violent criminal at the hands of police and the violence that followed is not going to swing voters towards a candidate that would be seen to be soft on the looters and rioters.

As the poster said, we would expect nothing less here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

His quotes about the whole #bunkerbitch stuff. She's getting so good at this!

Two and half gets me every time! How do people defend this chancer!

https://twitter.com/sarahcpr/status/1269411521987256320

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Within a 48-hour period in Chicago last week there were 82 shootings with 23 deaths.
    Most of them black on black shootings.
    It barely got a mention on the news ,yet the George Floyd bandwagon rolls on ,its a very strange world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

There have been a few posts here lately about how Trump's actions this week will be his downfall in November and how Biden really has to do nothing and just watch Trump self destruct.

Trump is about law and order and voters prefer law and order to looting and street violence.

In the grand scheme of things the death of a convicted violent criminal at the hands of police and the violence that followed is not going to swing voters towards a candidate that would be seen to be soft on the looters and rioters.

There's a long time until November, but right now its not looking that way.

Trump has given from odds in favourite 2.or 3 weeks ago to now 4/6 on NOT to be reelected, while Biden is now the odds on favourite despite the Democrat primaries still technically not being wrapped up. The optics between the two over the last week has been night and day, and Trump is polling notably worse on this that he even was on the coronavirus.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-americans-feel-about-george-floyds-death-and-the-protests
    As for President Trump’s handling of the protests, Americans largely gave him a thumbs down. The CBS News/YouGov poll found that 32 percent approved of Trump’s response while 49 percent disapproved, and Reuters/Ipsos found that 33 percent approved while 56 percent disapproved. Although Trump usually has overwhelming backing from Republicans on most job approval questions, there were some signs that at least a few GOP voters were breaking with him on this issue. The CBS News/YouGov survey found that 65 percent approved of how he’s handling the situation — far lower than the 84 percent who approve of how he’s handling the coronavirus pandemic, for example — while 14 percent disapproved. Similarly, in the Reuters/Ipsos poll, 20 percent disapproved while 67 percent approved.

There could be electoral repercussions to the protests and the president’s response to them. Monmouth’s survey found that 74 percent of Americans felt the country was on the wrong track, the largest share since Monmouth first asked the question nationally in 2013. And as a result of Floyd’s death and the protests, 45 percent of registered voters told Morning Consult they were more likely to now vote for former Vice President Joe Biden. However, another 31 percent said they’d be more likely to vote for Trump. And at this point, it’s hard to imagine that George Floyd’s death won’t be an important factor in the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is there anyone at all in the media who is unbiased? To me they all lean towards there own version of events. It's basically pick your flavor and away you go just ignore the other regardless of truth.

I almost can't wait to see what the likes of CNN will do once a Democrat gets in the White House. They have spent the past three years brown nosing the Democratic party and I'm not sure how they will get rid of the stink later.

I think they will go after the next Democrat President for not being "Progressive" enough. They want an absolute loony in the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

They want an absolute loony in the White House.
    Too late.

Sounds like the machines would not have been running at all and were just turned on for the visit.

https://usatoday.com/amp/3153622001

"The running of the factory machines is very limited today and will only occur when the president is touring the facility floor," Virginia Templet, the company's marketing manager told USA TODAY in response to questions about the event. "Swabs produced during that time will be discarded."

Not really a big deal at all, just extra hyped up drama by the media as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Sounds like the machines would not have been running at all and were just turned on for the visit.

https://usatoday.com/amp/3153622001

"The running of the factory machines is very limited today and will only occur when the president is touring the facility floor," Virginia Templet, the company's marketing manager told USA TODAY in response to questions about the event. "Swabs produced during that time will be discarded."

Not really a big deal at all, just extra hyped up drama by the media as usual.

Well said, plus isn't he tested every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Jim Acosta is an opinion piece writer mascurading as a reporter. The guy has a chip on his shoulder and doesn't just reserve his contempt only for Trump.

Reporters can be all sorts of people. A president should be able to handle it without tantrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,593 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You have just described Donald Trump and Fox "news".
    He just described worldwide media and particularly American media. They're all at it, every side, every agenda, lies and more lies. It's gotten totally out of hand and it's sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,593 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CNN does not strike me as left wing.
    CNN is the fox news for democrats.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's gotten totally out of hand and it's sickening.

It's basically pick your poison, depends what you can stomach. I go to visit my in laws and they are conservative but the only news they can get on the TV is all left leaning. My father in law settles on ABC for the evening news but it drives my mother in law crazy, she feels they take snippets from Trump's day just to make him look bad. She calls it the bad news.

Weird thing a few weeks ago when David Muir interviewed President Trump all the other left leaning news stations complained that Muir didn't interrogate Trump enough. It's almost like the snake eating its own tail, everyone is the enemy if you step off the party line.

Supposedly a free press but unfortunately it's not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Then what's MSNBC?

CNN may have a slight lean, but it's not as bad as the other two.
    I guess we can look at CBS or ABC?

Then what's MSNBC?

CNN may have a slight lean, but it's not as bad as the other two.
    I guess we can look at CBS or ABC?

MSNBC,,, Rachel Maddow bonkers nut job off the scale left.

CNN at the moment is more than slight left just because they are totally anti Trump and feel as much of a victim as he does. They are just obsessed and he takes up nearly all their air time. Maybe when there is a different president they will drift back more center.

I think all leaders are known for supporting law and order. I’ve never heard a Liberal or left wing politician say “nah, lads. Do want you want.” To criminals.

This isn’t about maintaining law and order. It’s about imposing the will of the government on the people.

they/them/theirs

You think the binary options are “law and order v looting and street violence”? That’s a ridiculously simplistic view of what’s happening.

It doesn’t matter what convictions he had. He was murdered in cold blood.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

No it isn’t.

I’ll give you there is a possible equivalence between FOX and MSNBC. But not CNN.

Even MSNBC isn’t as biased as Fox is.

This whole “CNN is the mouthpiece of the Democratic Party” only started because they had the audacity to actually report the news and ask tough question.

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement