Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

notobtuse wrote: »
    So disgusting and untrue statements. And with that I can no longer stand to read any more.

Why does that upset you so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well it pisses me off. I have family in Alabama and friends in NYC who are evangelicals and in my opinion that's a load of horse crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

kilns wrote: »
    Why does that upset you so much?
    It's one thing to partake in political debate, but it's never okay to incite racism and hatred as part of that debate. The poster is gone from my lexicon.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

It's one thing to partake in political debate, but it's never okay to incite racism and hatred as part of that debate. The poster is gone from my lexicon.

I agree no place for hatred or racism on here You can disagree but not resort to that

Perhaps one of the greatest republicans of all John McCain led the way in that during his campaign for president one of his supporters was lambasting Obama calling him a Muslim this and that etc etc McCain grabbed the mic from her and told her Obama was a good family man who they just happen to disagree on how they should do certain things. Unfortunately the Republican Party as it was died with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

So disgusting and untrue statements. And with that I can no longer stand to read any more.
    What a small mind you have!!
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well it pisses me off. I have family in Alabama and friends in NYC who are evangelicals and in my opinion that's a load of horse crap.

Facts are facts. Evangelicals were fine with abortion when roe vs Wade happened. They didn't become a movement until the private schools they moved all their white kids to when they otherwise would have had to share with *gasp* black children following civil rights. Even Nixon, the man who pushed the southern strategy to fruition, rejected their requests as too racist... so needless to say, Reagan couldn't court them fast enough! And they flocked to Reagan (who had introduced one of the most liberal abortion laws in the US while Governor of California) while villifying Jimmy Carter, possibly the most devout POTUS of the last century, over it.

Like it or not, the religious right on which the republicans depend so heavily is a racist movement founded explicitly by opposition to desegregation.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133
    In May 1969, a group of African-American parents in Holmes County, Mississippi, sued the Treasury Department to prevent three new whites-only K-12 private academies from securing full tax-exempt status, arguing that their discriminatory policies prevented them from being considered “charitable” institutions. The schools had been founded in the mid-1960s in response to the desegregation of public schools set in motion by the Brown v. Board of Education decision of 1954. In 1969, the first year of desegregation, the number of white students enrolled in public schools in Holmes County dropped from 771 to 28; the following year, that number fell to zero.

In Green v. Kennedy (David Kennedy was secretary of the treasury at the time), decided in January 1970, the plaintiffs won a preliminary injunction, which denied the “segregation academies” tax-exempt status until further review. In the meantime, the government was solidifying its position on such schools. Later that year, President Richard Nixon ordered the Internal Revenue Service to enact a new policy denying tax exemptions to all segregated schools in the United States. Under the provisions of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, which forbade racial segregation and discrimination, discriminatory schools were not—by definition—“charitable” educational organizations, and therefore they had no claims to tax-exempt status; similarly, donations to such organizations would no longer qualify as tax-deductible contributions

The Green v. Connally ruling provided a necessary first step: It captured the attention of evangelical leaders , especially as the IRS began sending questionnaires to church-related “segregation academies,” including Falwell’s own Lynchburg Christian School, inquiring about their racial policies. Falwell was furious. “In some states,” he famously complained, “It’s easier to open a massage parlor than a Christian school.”

One such school, Bob Jones University—a fundamentalist college in Greenville, South Carolina—was especially obdurate. The IRS had sent its first letter to Bob Jones University in November 1970 to ascertain whether or not it discriminated on the basis of race. The school responded defiantly: It did not admit African Americans.

Bob Jones University did, in fact, try to placate the IRS—in its own way. Following initial inquiries into the school’s racial policies, Bob Jones admitted one African-American, a worker in its radio station, as a part-time student; he dropped out a month later. In 1975, again in an attempt to forestall IRS action, the school admitted blacks to the student body, but, out of fears of miscegenation, refused to admit unmarried African-Americans. The school also stipulated that any students who engaged in interracial dating, or who were even associated with organizations that advocated interracial dating, would be expelled.

The IRS was not placated. On January 19, 1976, after years of warnings—integrate or pay taxes—the agency rescinded the school’s tax exemption.

Weyrich saw that he had the beginnings of a conservative political movement, which is why, several years into President Jimmy Carter’s term, he and other leaders of the nascent religious right blamed the Democratic president for the IRS actions against segregated schools—even though the policy was mandated by Nixon, and Bob Jones University had lost its tax exemption a year and a day before Carter was inaugurated as president. Falwell, Weyrich and others were undeterred by the niceties of facts. In their determination to elect a conservative, they would do anything to deny a Democrat, even a fellow evangelical like Carter, another term in the White House.

The Bob Jones University case merits a postscript. When the school’s appeal finally reached the Supreme Court in 1982, the Reagan administration announced that it planned to argue in defense of Bob Jones University and its racial policies. A public outcry forced the administration to reconsider; Reagan backpedaled by saying that the legislature should determine such matters, not the courts. The Supreme Court’s decision in the case, handed down on May 24, 1983, ruled against Bob Jones University in an 8-to-1 decision. Three years later Reagan elevated the sole dissenter, William Rehnquist, to chief justice of the Supreme Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I agree no place for hatred or racism on here You can disagree but not resort to that

Perhaps one of the greatest republicans of all John McCain led the way in that during his campaign for president one of his supporters was lambasting Obama calling him a Muslim this and that etc etc McCain grabbed the mic from her and told her Obama was a good family man who they just happen to disagree on how they should do certain things. Unfortunately the Republican Party as it was died with him.
    Note true. I voted for John McCain and even attended one of his rallies when he was the GOP candidate for president. I agreed with him on some subjects and disagreed with him on others. That is a subject matter I agreed with him on.

I took in a friend of my daughter during her senior year of high school. She was of mixed race. Her mother was a drug addict and had lost their place to live, they were being forced to move into a homeless shelter, and the girl would have ended up in foster care for about 6 months until she turned 18 and then thrown out. I never got a dime from the government or anyone for adding her to our home. She is exceptionally bright and I helped her get into a college, and because of her situation she pays almost nothing to attend. She still stays with us this summer about 3 days a week. Our lives have been enriched by adding her to our family.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What a small mind you have!!
    Attack the post, not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Note true. I voted for John McCain and even attended one of his rallies when he was the GOP candidate for president. I agreed with him on some subjects and disagreed with him on others. That is a subject matter I agreed with him on.

I took in a friend of my daughter during her senior year of high school. She was of mixed race. Her mother was a drug addict and had lost their place to live, they were being forced to move into a homeless shelter, and the girl would have ended up in foster care for about 6 months until she turned 18 and then thrown out. I never got a dime from the government or anyone for adding her to our home. She is exceptionally bright and I helped her get into a college, and because of her situation she pays almost nothing to attend. She still stays with us this summer about 3 days a week. Our lives have been enriched by adding her to our family.

We may disagree on many things but for this i truly respect you and applaud you for doing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Will Donald win on the Law and order Ticket ? ?

Some clowns are talking about defunding the Police in America ! ! America always Needs Sheriffs !!

Facts are facts. Evangelicals were fine with abortion when roe vs Wade happened.

Why are you quoting Roe vs Wade (almost 50 years ago) as evidence that evangelicals now are racists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

blue states are gona be like the wild west. if democrats run with this, donalds guaranteed 4 more years..i can only imagine what will happen when he does win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Nozebleed wrote: »
    blue states are gona be like the wild west. if democrats run with this, donalds guaranteed 4 more years..i can only imagine what will happen when he does win.

The Lefties Won’t Like That ! !:eek:

Why are you quoting Roe vs Wade (almost 50 years ago) as evidence that evangelicals now are racists?

I pointed out how the religious right political movement was explicitly founded as a response to desegregation. It is a racist movement to its very core, which explains the question some have as to why it stays so loyal to Trump, despite claims that it is all to do with abortion - which was never the case as many evangelicals were perfectly ok with roe v. Wade alat the time, and why they have previously flocked to pro abortion politicians like Reagan who were willing to dog whistle about minorities.

I will row back if there was a misunderstanding to say that not every Evangelical is a racist - Jimmy carter for one isn't, but the religious right roundly rejected him for Reagan despite the latter being pro abortion, because he was willing to support their anti desegregation racism. It's an undeniable truth that anyone who considers themselves part of the 'religious right' as such a large majority of evangelicals do, is part of a movement that is indeed racist. The movement didn't even exist prior to desegregation, it's merely a rebranding of the anti civil rights movement.

The key to getting teh vote of the religious right is to embrace racism and dog whistling about minorities, and it always has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Absolutely fantastic rebound signs from the US economy.

Greatest number of jobs created in a single month on record!

2.7 million less Americans on temporary hours.

73% of small businesses back open.

S+P had its greatest 50 day rise on record.

Chief economic advisor for Allianz Mohamed A. El-Erian "This will go down in history as the biggest causative data shock for the markets and the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

"The boom is back"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"The boom is back"

For 2 or 3 weeks, then the second waves hits massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Chief economic advisor for Allianz Mohamed A. El-Erian "This will go down in history as the biggest causative data shock for the markets and the economy.

Jobs 'created'? No. It's businesses reopening that have survived. Not 'new' jobs.

Of course, just like here, many will go back to work. But that jump is only temporary, many will not go back to work as their jobs are gone.

I pointed out how the religious right political movement was explicitly founded as a response to desegregation. It is a racist movement to its very core, which explains the question some have as to why it stays so loyal to Trump, despite claims that it is all to do with abortion - which was never the case as many evangelicals were perfectly ok with roe v. Wade alat the time, and why they have previously flocked to pro abortion politicians like Reagan who were willing to dog whistle about minorities.

I will row back if there was a misunderstanding to say that not every Evangelical is a racist - Jimmy carter for one isn't, but the religious right roundly rejected him for Reagan despite the latter being pro abortion, because he was willing to support their anti desegregation racism. It's an undeniable truth that anyone who considers themselves part of the 'religious right' as such a large majority of evangelicals do, is part of a movement that is indeed racist. The movement didn't even exist prior to desegregation, it's merely a rebranding of the anti civil rights movement.

The key to getting teh vote of the religious right is to embrace racism and dog whistling about minorities, and it always has been.

Absolutely none of that speculative waffle justifies your current claim that evangelical Christians in the US are racists.

You can spout on about movements and various assigned group identities all you want. I know a lot of people in that group you're targeting, including black and Hispanic people, and I can tell you from experience that you're talking bollocks and simply attacking Christians for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

For 2 or 3 weeks, then the second waves hits massively.
    Incorrect.

2nd wave pandemics, even Inf. A/B, H1N1, and even ye olde Norovirus only (starts) to hit November (Dec-Jan peaks), in the N.Hemisphere.

Handy that, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Jobs 'created'? No. It's businesses reopening that have survived. Not 'new' jobs.

Of course, just like here, many will go back to work. But that jump is only temporary, many will not go back to work as their jobs are gone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/may-jobs-report-unemployment-rate-declines-nonfarm-payrolls-surprise-increase-2020-6

You must know something that economists ,business leaders and analysts dont.

Orange man bad?

• Advertisement

Absolutely none of that speculative waffle justifies your current claim that evangelical Christians in the US are racists.

You can spout on about movements and various assigned group identities all you want. I know a lot of people in that group you're targeting, including black and Hispanic people, and I can tell you from experience that you're talking bollocks and simply attacking Christians for the sake of it.
    I've shown you the facts, not speculation. The religious right is a movement founded on racism, in direct and explicit opposition to desegregation.

If that upsets you that's your own thing, but facts don't care about your feelings, and the fact is the religious right is a racist movement that hides behind being "pro life" when they favour politicians who are pro choice of those politicians are willing to dog whistle enough to their racist tendencies.

Speculation would be to give Trump up as another example. Not because he has been pro choice up until courting the Evangelical vote which is a documented fact, but on the speculation he has paid numerous women to have abortions, and that Evangelicals don't care because he dog whistles against even peaceful anti racism protesters like Colin kaepernick while mocking US military heroes and gold star families.

But to say the religious right was founded for the purpose of opposing desegregation in schools? Nah, that's a fact - even if an inconvenient one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1270156323515056129?s=19

Now we'll see Trump Derangment Syndrome in full flow

• Registered Users Posts: 83,599 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nice gaslight anyone who will point out the stark contrast to how Trump handles oppression abroad vs in his own back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It would be commendable if he actually gave a shít about the Uighurs but we know he doesn't and what the real purpose of this is. He's ignoring what's going on in his own backyard while signing legislation relating to another country. "America First" indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Wasn’t he praising China a few months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Incorrect.

2nd wave pandemics, even Inf. A/B, H1N1, and even ye olde Norovirus only (starts) to hit November (Dec-Jan peaks), in the N.Hemisphere.

Handy that, ah well.

That's about as scientifically accurate as Trump predicting that 'in April it'll dissappear like a miracle' as those diseases you mentioned are temperature sensitive, Covid-19 is not

Yes it was good (still considering the inaccurate figures presented) and it is natural considering businesses are opening back up after the lockdowns and temporary jobs accounted for the nearly all of the figures like those who work in McDonalds, Starbucks etc who now can go back to work

However, what is worrying from a US point of view is permanent unemployment rose in those figures

referring to the S&P rise is futile as explained many times before the strength of an ecomony no longer correlates to the strenght of markets.

Ironically the pandemic could have been a good thing for the ecomony, as it created a instant shock which sometimes lasts much much longer than a couple of months. Considering the US ecomony was sliding into recession in the months before then pandemic, consumers I expect will go on a spending wave now and boost the economic growth

But unfortunately, it is not built on solid foundations, it is like any normal person maxing out credit cards and all the loans they can get to but the newest fanciest car, while in the short term it looks great and everyone goes wow look at his shiny new thing, that guy is sitting at home every night thinking how am I going to pay all this back. I am sure Trump doesnt sit up at night worrying but if I lived in the US and I had kids I would be worried for their future as its going to have to be paid back at some stage and its the next generation who will suffer because of the recklessness of today.

By the way its not just a Trump thing, all politicians do this (only look short term) but Trump its the current guy in the hot seat and he has thing for racking up debt

I would say that a majority of Evangelical Chistians are morally bankrupt and hypocrites

The vast majority support a man who represents the exact opposite of what they state their values to be, how can they justify supporting a man like Trump (we dont have to rehash all his "sins")

https://www.businessinsider.com/may-jobs-report-unemployment-rate-declines-nonfarm-payrolls-surprise-increase-2020-6

You must know something that economists ,business leaders and analysts dont.

Orange man bad?

You do know that the since then the figures released miscounted 4.9m as employed when they were actually unemployed

The April unemployment figures was 19.7% and not 14.7% as reported and The May unemployment rate was 16.3% not 13.3% (quite significant differences) which was reported initially and which Trump held a press conference based on

So it seems economists were not so wrong after all

• Advertisement

how can they justify supporting a man like Trump (we dont have to rehash all his "sins")

That question has been answered repeatedly.

But it doesn't matter because they're all just racists.

My friend in Alabama with the adopted daughter who is native American is a racist.

My white friend in NYC whose wife is Puerto Rican. (incidentally he absolutely despises Trump).

My friends in Florida who is black, is racist.

I should probably let them know how horribly racist they are. They'll be shocked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement