Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,591 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And yet when I pointed out that evangelicals today are not racists, I was told that they must be, because some of them were racists 6 decades ago.

I smell a double standard in the air...

Idk who argued that but either way there are racist evangelicals today it’s not 60 years ago stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Overheal wrote: »
    Idk who argued that but either way there are racist evangelicals today it’s not 60 years ago stuff.

There are racist evangelicals I'm sure. There are also racist Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Scientologists, Satanists and atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Also deaths per capita should generally look more favourable towards larger countries. The US has far more resources to cope with a pandemic and should have been able to utilise them to keep their numbers proportionately lower. I dread to think what their numbers will be by August.

If you're expecting their case fatality rate to be worse than the uk (+64k deaths for same period last year), or Italy, Spain, Sweden etc. Wouldn't hold the breath, so to speak.

They've double the COVID deaths of the uk, also much more testing and thus confirmed cases (x6.6), but also importantly about x5 the actual population to compare with.

Economy wise, many things such as a pull back of US Pharma based in Ireland (low corp tax state), or applying additional charges/taxes on them could be used as fiscal tools. If anything Ireland should hope for 'natural growth' in the US, or risk MNC's perhaps facing a dilema to return back, if their final stakeholder dividends are at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,589 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you're expecting their case fatality rate to be worse than the uk (+64k deaths for same period last year), or Italy, Spain, Sweden etc. Wouldn't hold the breath, so to speak.
    Their new cases figure would be equivalent to circa 250 new cases in Ireland so it appears they are over the worst of it, unless the riots spike it again, and should be in great shape as regards coronavirus in four weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,589 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's for yesterday and the previous day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They've double the COVID deaths of the uk, also much more testing and thus confirmed cases (x6.6), but also importantly about x5 the actual population to compare with.

Economy wise, many things such as a pull back of US Pharma based in Ireland (low corp tax state), or applying additional charges/taxes on them could be used as fiscal tools. If anything Ireland should hope for 'natural growth' in the US, or risk MNC's perhaps facing a dilema to return back, if their final stakeholder dividends are at risk.

Pro rata, the UK does more testing than the US. Ireland does more testing than the UK.

Pro rata, as of yesterday, the US has 11 times the number of new cases of the UK. It should have 5 times. It has 2375 times the number of new cases than Ireland. It should have 70 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Pro rata, the UK does more testing than the US. Ireland does more testing than the UK.

Pro rata, as of yesterday, the US has 11 times the number of new cases of the UK. It should have 5 times. It has 2375 times the number of new cases than Ireland. It should have 70 times.
    21m tests performed in the US to date.

The really important figure is they have x2 the deaths from it, compared to the uk.
    Yet 'x5 the population', not bad going and all without free universal health care.

NW Eng is now pretty much now sitting on a r1.0 figure.
    Sure you'd much rather want to be over in Idaho or somewhere in their NW instead to escape the WuFlu.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That kind of change would have almost zero impact on the "actual" economy - it wouldn't add jobs to any major degree .

To my earlier point , those kinds of changes won't have any impact between now and November which is all he'll be interested in right now.

He'll announce massive tax cuts and if/when the House don't approve them he'll blame them for being "anti-business" or something. It's really the only short/medium term tool he has available to him.

Separate but related question - Is there another "funding cliff" before the Election , could there be another possibility of a Government shutdown??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

21m tests performed in the US to date.

The really important figure is they have x2 the deaths from it, compared to the uk.
    Yet 'x5 the population', not bad going and all without free universal health care.

NW Eng is now pretty much now sitting on a r1.0 figure.
    Sure you'd much rather want to be over in Idaho or somewhere in their NW instead to escape the WuFlu.

Give it time, unfortunately. The US has already overtaken Ireland's mortality rate. Deaths lag new cases by 18 days. Given their much larger pro rata new cases numbers, the US will be rising up the chart as the UK falls in terms of deaths.

I'd much rather not be in the US at all during this pandemic. Unless I was wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Igotadose wrote: »
    Have you seen the posters here blaming the modern Democratic party for the KKK and the Civil War?
    It's as simple as Rep vs Dem but you can't ignore history. The founders of the KKK were democrats, and the South was made up mostly of democrats when they began the war against the North after the Republican president pledged to keep slavery out of the territories.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

More strong economic figures released from the US. V shaped recovery looking more and more likely.

Getting back to business.
    I see economists are predicting a V curve recovery, a Nike swoosh curve, and an L curve. Translation... nobody really knows.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Borrowing your way out of debt will never work, Trump knows this (he has enough experience) but doesn't care, he will borrow and then throw money at the economy in a vain attempt to get re-elected. Meanwhile the debt rises and its future generations that will have to pay it back.
    I agree borrowing your way out of debt will only make things worse in the long run, but why is the general attitude borrowing is bad when a republican does it and great when a democrat does it?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Do we really have to rehash this bull about how the US reports Covid-19 deaths? Seriously??
    As long as posters here keep misrepresenting US coronavirus deaths... YES!

notobtuse wrote: »
    I agree borrowing your way out of debt will only make things worse in the long run, but why is the general attitude borrowing is bad when a republican does it and great when a democrat does it?

It’s more the dragging us further into debt when the economy is supposedly doing so huge and great. By October Trump will probably have drafted over $6T of new debt. If this is how he handled a “great” economy I hate to see what he would do with a bad one

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    It's not a great article is it?:P

It does seem he is doing something with the phone though doesn't it?

But what would you be "skimming"?
    And in relation to somehow capturing the radio frequency, is that something that needs being close to the device?
    And there are apps to just listen to police frequencies in the US, they moved to secure comms here in Ireland but you used to be able to afaik?
    People here used to have police scanners a couple of decades ago, but most of the police have moved to more secure frequencies.

I'm not expecting it to be but there's serious problems when they're in the list of nations that handled it the worst....

People here used to have police scanners a couple of decades ago, but most of the police have moved to more secure frequencies.

But somehow a cell phone can crack it as long as they wave their hand around an officer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Who said that?

If you have some sort of financial emergency and you need pay for it, you will borrow to cover that emergency there is no other option other than not buying food for yourself and starving. You sensibly refinance your debt and live then within your means until such a time it is paid off or managable.

After the loan is paid off or you are now at a point where the debt can be serviced without issues. Do you a. learn from experience and say I am not going to get into debt I am going to save my excess funds or put them into something worthwhile or invest or b. to hell with it I am now ok again, let me buy that latest new car, go on an amazing holiday and renovate my house. I will borrow and go back into debt to pay for this and who cares if in a few years time I have to live on the poverty line paying off the debt, I had a fun time while it lasted.

Thats the difference

But somehow a cell phone can crack it as long as they wave their hand around an officer :rolleyes:

He sent some entirely unrelated YouTube videos to prove this though!

He sent some entirely unrelated YouTube videos to prove this though!
    You're missing the point, again. It's not if the app can actually do what the guy thought it could do, but if the guy believed it could do what he intended it to do.

• Advertisement

You're missing the point, again. It's not if the app can actually do what the guy thought it could do, but if the guy believed it could do what he intended it to do.

So now we’ve gone completely off the rails to assuming without any fact basis whatsoever that the guy was using some sort of app they somehow believed would work. Despite no evidence of this app, despite no evidence that this man believed in any such horse****.

Dig up.

This would be below standard for the Conspiracies forum. That’s saying something.

kilns wrote: »
    Who said that?

If you have some sort of financial emergency and you need pay for it, you will borrow to cover that emergency there is no other option other than not buying food for yourself and starving. You sensibly refinance your debt and live then within your means until such a time it is paid off or managable.

After the loan is paid off or you are now at a point where the debt can be serviced without issues. Do you a. learn from experience and say I am not going to get into debt I am going to save my excess funds or put them into something worthwhile or invest or b. to hell with it I am now ok again, let me buy that latest new car, go on an amazing holiday and renovate my house. I will borrow and go back into debt to pay for this and who cares if in a few years time I have to live on the poverty line paying off the debt, I had a fun time while it lasted.

Thats the difference
    I guess the US has been in a financial emergency since 1980.

I guess the US has been in a financial emergency since 1990.

Conveniently glosses over the Clinton surpluses

I would say you have entered the area of conspiracy theories. Your claim is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

This would be below standard for the Conspiracies forum. That’s saying something.

This whole bullsh!t theory was first concocted by a Conservative conspiracy site (worse than infowars) and then taken up by OANN, truly horsecr@p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I knew some had moved, but didn't think it was now the majority.
    Do you have a link to this? I'd be interested.

And I presume the term secure frequencies you mean encryption or is there such a thing as secure frequency?

I remember back when some people said the Trump campaign was spied on by the government, and it was considered a conspiracy theory, bullsh!t, and even worse. I even remember someone being permanently banned in Politics for saying it.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I knew some had moved, but didn't think it was now the majority.
    Do you have a link to this? I'd be interested.

And I presume the term secure frequencies you mean encryption or is there such a thing as secure frequency?
    Just did a quick search. Here is an example. I has a police scanner in the late 80's and early 90's. After awhile it basically became a rock and I threw it away.

https://whatsnewlaporte.com/2017/10/26/police-scanner-not-working-anymore-officer-explains-why-and-how-to-upgrade/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Just did a quick search. Here is an example. I has a police scanner in the late 80's and early 90's. After awhile it basically became a rock and I threw it away.

https://whatsnewlaporte.com/2017/10/26/police-scanner-not-working-anymore-officer-explains-why-and-how-to-upgrade/

Reading that I think that is unrelated to encrypted comms the police are moving to.

I think that's the LaPorte County police upgrading to digital 800 mhz and if you need to listen to upgrade to a digital 800 mhz scanner? He is just informing that they are not encrypted and where changed for audio quality and is still available to the public.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement