Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

notobtuse wrote: »
    I guess the US has been in a financial emergency since 1980.

No I would say from around 2002 onwards and they are living on a knife edge as its like you getting your loans from the neigbour you hate and always fight with but he is rich and he knows your are good to pay it back but if they changes then you are in real trouble. You will have to sell you debt at a higher cost to maybe another neighbour not as rich as the other one but willing to take it on

• Registered Users Posts: 83,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Reading that I think that is unrelated to encrypted comms the police are moving to.

I think that's the LaPorte County police upgrading to digital 800 mhz and if you need to listen to upgrade to a digital 800 mhz scanner? He is just informing that they are not encrypted and where changed for audio quality and is still available to the public.

Or just use a phone app which streams podcasts of scanners. No wand waving cops required. It just works! :)

Amazing to think taxpayers formed out $75,000.00 for Trump Jr. to go hunt sheep overseas.

Seems crazy, but so is 2020.

https://www.citizensforethics.org/don-jr-mongolian-hunting-trip-cost-75k/

Overheal wrote: »
    Or just use a phone app which streams podcasts of scanners. No wand waving cops required. It just works! :)

Here's Buffalo... And downloaded an app that covers them all...
    https://m.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/26933

So this is one of the worst conspiracies I've heard in a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Reading that I think that is unrelated to encrypted comms the police are moving to.

I think that's the LaPorte County police upgrading to digital 800 mhz and if you need to listen to upgrade to a digital 800 mhz scanner? He is just informing that they are not encrypted and where changed for audio quality and is still available to the public.
    As technology improves in police communications so do devices to listen to police & fire, but they become extremely expensive. I don’t know if phone apps actually can listen to police frequencies but I know there are apps for phones that claim they do.

I had a police scanner because I had a house across the street from a hospital. The hospital bought extra property and leveled out a sharp incline and then built a heliport, parking lot, and doctor's offices. The heliport was located about 50 yards from my house. We had the scanner to know when a medivac was coming so we could remove items from shelves so as not to fall off and break. I tried getting them to change the flight plan but they refused because they would have had to fly over the newly built doctor’s building, and they wouldn't do that, so I was out of luck. We finally has the sh!ts of it all and sold it to a doctor who converted the lower level to an office.

Completely off topic but I used to create large snow sculptures for my oldest daughter in the front yard. Pictures of them often got in the local newspaper. People would come from around the area to see them and it sometimes created traffic problems. The hospital complained and I got a visit from police asking me to stop. I ignored it until one day I received a citation and had to pay a public nuisance fine. I stopped creating them at that point.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

As technology improves in police communications so do devices to listen to police & fire, but they become extremely expensive. I don’t know if phone apps actually can listen to police frequencies but I know there are apps for phones that claim they do.

I had a police scanner because I had a house across the street from a hospital. The hospital bought extra property and leveled out a sharp incline and then built a heliport, parking lot, and doctor's offices. The heliport was located about 50 yards from my house. We had the scanner to know when a medivac was coming so we could remove items from shelves so as not to fall off and break. I tried getting them to change the flight plan but they refused because they would have had to fly over the newly built doctor’s building, and they wouldn't do that, so I was out of luck. We finally has the sh!ts of it all and sold it to a doctor who converted the lower level to an office.

Completely off topic but I used to create large snow sculptures for my oldest daughter in the front yard. Pictures of them often got in the local newspaper. People would come from around the area to see them and it sometimes created traffic problems. The hospital complained and I got a visit from police asking me to stop. I ignored it until one day I received a citation and had to pay a public nuisance fine. I stopped creating them at that point.

Wow northern Virginia sounds like a ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

They can stream them if not encrypted. It's fine, from your original post I thought you had some knowledge on the subject, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Yes I've used them. Disappointed the Irish ones are no longer available. :) I remember finding it amazing as a kid with my scanner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Borrowing your way out of debt will never work, Trump knows this (he has enough experience) but doesn't care, he will borrow and then throw money at the economy in a vain attempt to get re-elected. Meanwhile the debt rises and its future generations that will have to pay it back.

Like Ireland then. 3rd most indebted public on the planet behind the Us and Japan.
    Never really hear too many using it as a stick to beat the Japanese though.

Orange man bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Like Ireland then. 3rd most indebted public on the planet behind the Us and Japan.

Orange man bad

Borrowing isn't really an issue as long as you can continue to pay it back , generally speaking.

However - When you borrow and how you spend it are absolutely valid topics for discussion and review.

Trumps borrowing hasn't actually done anything other than goose the Stock market.
    • It didn't increase the median wage
    • It didn't accelerate job growth
    • It wasn't spent on improving things like Infrastructure or Healthcare or Education

All it was used for was to pay for the Tax cuts that he gave to Big Business and Investors , who turned around and used that money on themselves through stock buy-backs and dividends , hardly any of it actually was spent on the economy.

As others have said , he's borrowed massively in an already growing economy and that borrowing didn't change the trajectory one bit , if anything it slowed down somewhat.

Now that he's faced with a recession , some of it a real recession and some of it artificial due to Covid19 , what does he do?

If he borrows even , what does(can) he spend it on that would make a difference between now and November?

The problem is that the typical GOP policies are not built to work in a recession - Cutting taxes and reducing Government spending isn't really the solution. In a recession you can typically do one or the other but not both.

He's just hoping that he doesn't have to do anything and that it was all just a pause/hibernation and things will magically return to previous levels.

I don't think they will (anywhere in the world) and I don't believe that Trump or the GOP actually know what to do if it doesn't, because any of the normally accepted methods of rebuilding a post recession economy would cause the heads of the Grover Norquist acolytes that drive GOP Fiscal policy to explode.

Orange man bad

Would you say you engross yourself in Japanese domestic politics on a daily basis or just once every 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

So now we’ve gone completely off the rails to assuming without any fact basis whatsoever that the guy was using some sort of app they somehow believed would work. Despite no evidence of this app, despite no evidence that this man believed in any such horse****.

Dig up.

I kind of want to see how far he's willing to go with this.

markodaly wrote: »

Take a knee for the person that eventually gets tricked into marrying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Take a knee for the person that eventually gets tricked into marrying that.

She is an "empowered" one I'd say...it's the cats I feel sorry for!!!

She is an "empowered" one I'd say...it's the cats I feel sorry for!!!

Dressed in small people clothes and referred to as her children

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Orange man bad

So you have completely forgotten the Tea party protests and the wall to wall complaints from Republicans regarding the debt while Obama was in charge?

Yet not a word out of those same people since Trump became president.

One sign there exclaimed debt is $9 trillion.. Its now $26 trillion..

_49119271_010133544-1.jpg

rossie1977 wrote: »
    So you have completely forgotten the Tea party protests and the wall to wall complaints from Republicans regarding the debt while Obama was in charge?

My Representative is one of the Tea Party candidates. They’ve totally drank the trump kool aid. They aren’t all principles this and that now that they are in the majority, it’s all about having their pockets fattened now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

My Representative is one of the Tea Party candidates. They’ve totally drank the trump kool aid. They aren’t all principles this and that now that they are in the majority, it’s all about having their pockets fattened now.

And when one of their founding members , Justin Amash dared to suggest that Trump wasn't all that , he was declared a RINO and drummed out the party.

Principals indeed.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And when one of their founding members , Justin Amash dared to suggest that Trump wasn't all that , he was declared a RINO and drummed out the party.

Principals indeed.

This is a guy who spent his whole social media capital telling us how detestable violence was etc when his friend Scalise was shot at a baseball game, but he didn’t even so much as acknowledge the news that someone mailed bombs to CNN and prominent Democrat boogeymen. Nor did he call out anyone on his page who routinely called for shooting and bayoneting migrants at the southern border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Orange man bad

The most commonly used indicator is debt to GDP. Using that, the US is ranked 12th whereas Ireland is ranked 52nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,589 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Talk of the US banking system being close to collapse now.

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/07/coronavirus-banks-collapse/612247/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

rossie1977 wrote: »

The National debt and drones strikes are two areas where people get very vocal or silent depending on which administration is in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Orange man bad

Or in your case a Orange man can do no wrong. Going into deeper Debt when you are in boom times is seriously irresponsible and anyone with a brain knows that. Japan as an economy is unfortunately in their own unique situation

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

not simplistic, just wrong. the states have control over what happens in their cities not the federal government. the federal government has no right to send in the national guard to stop riots. the cities have to ask them in.

Isn't the National Guard a state militia?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

People here used to have police scanners a couple of decades ago, but most of the police have moved to more secure frequencies.

I'm sorry man, I can take no more of it. Your technical understanding is woeful.

"More secure frequencies"? Such a thing doesn't exist. They moved from analogue communication to encrypted digital communication.

Given how poor your understanding is, I'd gracefully bow out of this one if I was you.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm sorry man, I can take no more of it. Your technical understanding is woeful.

"More secure frequencies"? Such a thing doesn't exist. They moved from analogue communication to encrypted digital communication.

Given how poor your understanding is, I'd gracefully bow out of this one if I was you.
    The officers pleaded not guilty. There must be a reason. I watched the video closely, the guy was doing something nefarious to the two officers with what seems to be his phone. There is no denying that. I might be wrong, but I might be right. I'll wait and see what develops.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The officers pleaded not guilty. There must be a reason. I watched the video closely, the guy was doing something nefarious to the two officers with what seems to be his phone. There is no denying that. I might be wrong, but I might be right. I'll wait and see what develops.
    of course you can deny that. you must be psychic like your mate.

Because they hope to get away with it?

Not everyone that pleads "Not Guilty" is actually "Not Guilty" you know?

And , once again - what he was or was not doing with his phone is by and large irrelevant , what matters is whether or the actions of the officers were proportionate to the risks presented by the situation.

He could have been showing them a video of him killing Jimmy Hoffa for all that it matters.

Were they acting within the law when they shoved a non-violent protester to the ground resulting in him sustaining serious injury?

That is the only question that is pertinent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So did O.J Simpson

And he was acquitted, do you believe O.J is innocent?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement