Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

DrumSteve wrote: »
    What relevance is that to what I posted?
    It supports your claim of media bias and just goes to show even the 'supposed' best news publication in the US is nothing more than a biased rag.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,574 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

notobtuse wrote: »
    I’m curious, what difference does it matter? Does the fact that the majority of Americans support the use of the military to put an end to the violence and mayhem at the protests get you behind it? If your goal was just some sort of insipid gotcha question, then please do your own work going forward. But I was incorrect on the 56% number, I should have said 58%.

https://www.newsweek.com/majority-americans-support-calling-military-assist-police-during-nationwide-unrest-polling-shows-1508210

So, a poll conducted immediately after the 3rd precinct building destruction and immediately before Trump abused military force for a photo op.

I’d say attitudes have already changed remarkably since this poll was conducted and not in Tom Cottons favor.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Why did you quote me here?

Unintentional error - Edited to correct..

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Not a single soul here knew about the Tulsa riots before that terrible TV show The Wokemen.
    Judging by the abysmal rating and no second season i would wager that most still dont know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I’m curious, what difference does it matter? Does the fact that the majority of Americans support the use of the military to put an end to the violence and mayhem at the protests get you behind it? If your goal was just some sort of insipid gotcha question, then please do your own work going forward. But I was incorrect on the 56% number, I should have said 58%.

https://www.newsweek.com/majority-americans-support-calling-military-assist-police-during-nationwide-unrest-polling-shows-1508210

a week is a long time in politics.

• Advertisement

da_miser wrote: »
    Not a single soul here knew about the Tulsa riots before that terrible TV show The Wokemen.
    Judging by the abysmal rating and no second season i would wager that most still dont know about it.

probably best if you only speak about your own ignorance. you have no idea what anybody else is aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Horeshít.

I knew about them and never heard of that tv show. It's fairly well known among people who read.

Is this nonsense doing the rounds on MAGA/Qanon twitter or something? I'm just curious as to where you picked up this pile of shíte that you felt was worth spreading to other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

It supports your claim of media bias and just goes to show even the 'supposed' best news publication in the US is nothing more than a biased rag.

Can you post us a list of news sources we should be referring to? Fox? Breitbart?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's why it's called a "Dog Whistle" - Those that know , know and they will take the meaning that they are supposed to from it.

Which is - We're still in charge and those "others" should know their place.

Why choose Oklahoma? - A State that is about a solidly GOP as you can get , hasn't been won by a Democrat since 1964 , he won the state by 30 plus points.

It's not a swing state , it's not going to help him win the Electoral college?

Why does he choose to hold his very 1st rally in the immediate aftermath of the worst protests about Racism in decades , in the location of one of the worst cases of Racist violence in a century and also choose as the date of this rally the most significant date in the African American political calendar??

Coincidence?

I don't bloody think so.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's why it's called a "Dog Whistle" - Those that know , know and they will take the meaning that they are supposed to from it.

Which is - We're still in charge and those "others" should know their place.

Why choose Oklahoma? - A State that is about a solidly GOP as you can get , hasn't been won by a Democrat since 1964 , he won the state by 30 plus points.

It's not a swing state , it's not going to help him win the Electoral college?

Why does he chose for his very 1st rally , in the immediate aftermath of the worst protests about Racism in decades , the location of one of the worst cases of Racist violence in a century and also chose as the date of this rally the most significant date in the African American political calendar??

Coincidence?

I don't bloody think so.

Even people who want to delude themselves into thinking Trump has no idea what a breathtaking coincidence this is cannot explain away the senior adviser to the President, Stephen Miller, blatant white nationalist, who has been assigned the duty of writing his speech, from knowing it.

• Advertisement

a week is a long time in politics.
    The survey was 5/31-6/1, and reported on 6/2, Cotton’s piece was 6/3. Maybe we should now measure polls by the hour?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Tork wrote: »
    Can you post us a list of news sources we should be referring to? Fox? Breitbart?
    https://www.c-span.org/
    https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Well some people do actually read history you know. And Damein Lindelof wrote the season as a stand alone season. He never planned for a second season.

The survey was 5/31-6/1, Cotton’s piece was 6/3. Maybe we should now measure polls by the hour?

so more than a week then.

so more than a week then.
    Ahhh...... NO. His op ed was two days after the poll, and one day after it was reported on.

How about 58% of the people having somewhat the same views as what Cotton wrote and the NY Times proving they bow to wokeness? The NY Times has published pieces from Russian president Vladimir Putin, the Iranian foreign minister, and a leader of the Muslim brotherhood. But dear gawd we can't have a piece from a republican Senator... Heads shall roll!

Does notobtuse know that it’s the 11th, well more than a week since the piece aired, well more than a week since the poll ran and a lot had changed in that time, including the actual deployment and subsequent withdrawal of the national guard, and trumps teargas photo op? What about police raiding peoples homes in the District and shooting people at their own doorsteps? Blasting children in the face with teargas canisters? Blackhawks and other helicopters flying dangerously low over protestors? Hundreds of former pentagon workers speaking out? Generals and admirals even? How does notobtuse expect that public opinion has shifted favorably toward militarization in the past 10 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

I knew about it.

Even the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff has apologized for his role in the teargas photo op scandal. The most senior and high ranking officer in the whole of the armed services.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/06/11/pentagons-top-general-apologizes-appearing-alongside-trump-lafayette-square/

Losing military votes losing evangelical votes losing black votes losing independents as well. It’s no rocket surgery that trump is cratering in the polls.

Overheal wrote: »
    Even the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff has apologized for his role in the teargas photo op scandal. The most senior and high ranking officer in the whole of the armed services.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/06/11/pentagons-top-general-apologizes-appearing-alongside-trump-lafayette-square/

Losing military votes losing evangelical votes losing black votes losing independents as well. It’s no rocket surgery that trump is cratering in the polls.

According to the details in all the latest polls, the only category of voter where he has a significant lead is with White , Over 50 , Non-College educated Men.

The NFL and Nascar target audience - And both of those organisations have come out strongly in support of the recent protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I’m pretty sure Trump has just threatened to invade Seattle. For those on here worried about Biden’s functioning mind I think Trumps is already a list cause

• Advertisement

kilns wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure Trump has just threatened to invade Seattle. For those on here worried about Biden’s functioning mind I think Trumps is already a list cause

Even his own staff have started muting his twitter feed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

not simplistic, just wrong. the states have control over what happens in their cities not the federal government. the federal government has no right to send in the national guard to stop riots

Washington D.C. is the normal exception. It is, technically, possible under a subset of the Insurrection Act for the Federal government to move troops in specifically against the wishes of the State (and has been done in the past, Arkansas 1957, for example) , but the standard is pretty high. However, as things are calming down, it seems to be a redundant discussion.
    Brian? wrote: »
    Isn't the National Guard a state militia?

By default, yes, until the feds state otherwise. (D.C. national guard being, again, the exception).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,585 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DrumSteve wrote:
    What a strange way of viewing things.

As an aside, how many right wing viewpoints would be considered "unbiased"?
    There is bias in everything.
    Personally I don't read from biased sources on either side unless they get linked to here and even then I'll research the source if I feel its a big ott.
    Rather is different though, he is a proven liar and those lies have always had an anti-Republican agenda.
    I quoted the poster regarding using Dan Rather. I didn't discuss his post at all.
    It just irks me when people post links from known agenda driven liars.
    If you don't agree that's your right.

Trump has now added over $6 Trillion to the national debt. 3.5 years. And he inherited a great economy. By the same measuring stick Obama oversaw $9T in 8 years at the head of a global recession. Where are the fiscal conservatives now?

I believe a state’s National Guard can be federalized under Title 10. The Guard units are placed under the control of the secretary of defense and the president, and the federal government pays their costs.

Overheal wrote: »
    Stephen Miller, blatant white nationalist,

So in the warped logic of the left , Stephen Miller, a Jew, is a Nazi?

ollkiller wrote: »
    And Damein Lindelof wrote the season as a stand alone season. He never planned for a second season.

The cope is strong with this one, it bombed big style, viewers did not watch , and it cost HBO money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Why is the Dow Jones flatlining?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Personally I don't read from biased sources on either side unless they get linked to here and even then I'll research the source if I feel its a big ott.
    Rather is different though, he is a proven liar and those lies have always had an anti-Republican agenda.
    I quoted the poster regarding using Dan Rather. I didn't discuss his post at all.
    It just irks me when people post links from known agenda driven liars.
    If you don't agree that's your right.

dan rather stated a fact. trump is holding a rally on the anniversary of a massacre. where is the bias in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The source isn't a factual one. The content is irrelevant in that case.

What? If he is telling the truth then of course the content is relevant!

Trump is a known serial liar, therefore we should ignore anything he says going by your standards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement