Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

duploelabs wrote: »
    Sunk cost fallacy

Claire McCaskell recently said something interesting, at the height of John McCains opposition to some of Trumps policies, she meet him and asked him what would it take for all the other senators to stop supporting them like you, he simply told her when his support gets to low to mid 30s.

His latest figures were around 38 so we are getting close to that, lets see if its true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The hammering of white cops by ethic gangs is only going to lead to one thing, the re-emergence of (dare one say it) blackface as a self-defence mechanism.
    Jesus, this is one of the most stupid things I've ever read on boards, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

osarusan wrote: »
    Jesus, this is one of the most stupid things I've ever read on boards, and that's saying something.

I've read that a couple of times and I feel like I need to scrub my brain with a brillo pad to clean it afterwards.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In another example of the keen sense of organisation and planning from the Trump campaign.

The Official GOP Platform Document for the 2020 campaign says the following things
    “The survival of the internet as we know it is at risk,” the platform reads. “Its gravest peril originates in the White House, the current occupant of which has launched a campaign, both at home and internationally, to subjugate it to agents of government.
    “The Middle East is more dangerous now than at any time since the Second World War,” the platform reads. “Whatever their disagreements, presidents of both parties had always prioritized America’s national interests, the trust of friendly governments, and the security of Israel. That sound consensus was replaced with impotent grandstanding on the part of the current President and his Secretaries of State. The results have been ruinous for all parties except Islamic terrorists and their Iranian and other sponsors.”

Why would the GOP be saying things like this? Because they have been forced to retain the platform/manifesto from 2016 because Trump needs to have a packed house for his nomination acceptance speech.
    The Republican Party has found itself in this awkward bind because of President Trump’s decision last week to move the location of his nominating speech. Under the R.N.C. rules, the convention will adjourn with the old platform serving as the official party platform until 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    In another example of the keen sense of organisation and planning from the Trump campaign.

The Official GOP Platform Document for the 2020 campaign says the following things

Why would the GOP be saying things like this? Because they have been forced to retain the platform/manifesto from 2016 because Trump needs to have a packed house for his nomination acceptance speech.

In the manner and tone of Mr Burns: Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

If you attend Trumps rally you have to sign a waiver saying you wont sue them if you would catch the democrat hoax ... or as people with a functioning brain call it ... covid 19 .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,584 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The smart move for Biden would be to compile all of Trump's misdeeds, lies and the accusations against him and split them up into different piles and have a new list of them for each debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

eagle eye wrote: »
    The smart move for Biden would be to compile all of Trump's misdeeds, lies and the accusations against him and split them up into different piles and have a new list of them for each debate.

Yeah, although I think that'd require about a years worth of debates, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The debates?

"You know the rapidly rising umm uh in with uh with I don't know."
    - Joe Biden, yesterday in Philadelphia speaking during a roundtable event on reopening the economy.

Joe says he can hardly wait and is looking forward to the debates. Switch to reality... His campaign is probably terrified of Biden facing off against Trump in a debate. Biden is just way past his prime and would be a disaster as president.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    The debates?

- Joe Biden, yesterday in Philadelphia speaking during a roundtable event on reopening the economy.

Joe says he can hardly wait and is looking forward to the debates. Switch to reality... His campaign is probably terrified of Biden facing off against Trump in a debate. Biden is just way past his prime and would be a disaster as president.

The current president is a disaster. He's pushing conspiracy theories on a daily basis and his fans lap it up. He is divisive at the worst possible times. When history reflects on his presidency, it won't be positive. I imagine after he leaves, some republicans may even try to downplay their support of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

would be a disaster as president.

You say that with the worst president in US history in office tells me all I need to know.

The debates?

Oh yes while the president can you use his extensive vocabulary to show Biden up.

I can just picture the debates now, Biden and his time will have done their work and will be prepared and no doubt Trump will be an easy take down with all the stuff he has down, while on the other side, Trump will just rattle off his couple of slogans.

Do you honestly have faith in Donald Trumps ability to engage in a debate intellectually?

Now i'm convinced you are just trolling.
    You say that with the worst president in US history in office tells me all I need to know.
    Well I'm in agreement about Biden being a disaster.
    Anybody that wants another four years of Trump needs their heads examined imo but I've zero confidence in Biden. The debates will tell us more.

To be honest this year the debates are going to worthless and people will not vote based on them

The democrats could have Kamala Harris up there destroying Trump in a debate and it will matter a dot as no matter who is up there, Trump will turn it into farce, thats if he even shows up to debates

• Registered Users Posts: 23,787 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

1. Obamagate!
    2. Crooked Biden!
    3. Lets Keep America Great!
    4. THATS FAKE NEWS!
    5. Lock him up!
    6. Greatest "X" ever very bigly thanks to me.

Just pull Trump's string and see which of the six pre-programmed phrases is used when he is in debate mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

kilns wrote: »
    To be honest this year the debates are going to worthless and people will not vote based on them

The democrats could have Kamala Harris up there destroying Trump in a debate and it will matter a dot as no matter who is up there, Trump will turn it into farce, thats if he even shows up to debates

I think it's likely there are no debates.

pjohnson wrote: »
    1. Obamagate!
    2. Crooked Biden!
    3. Lets Keep America Great!
    4. THATS FAKE NEWS!
    5. Lock him up!
    6. Greatest "X" ever very bigly thanks to me.

Just pull Trump's string and see which of the six pre-programmed phrases is used when he is in debate mode.
    1. Obamagate! - LEGITIMATE CONCERN.
    2. Crooked Biden! - LEGITIMATE CONCERN.
    3. Lets Keep America Great! – OUTSTANDING.
    4. THATS FAKE NEWS! – YES IT OFTEN IS, ESPECIALLY CNN, MSNBC, THE NEW YORK TIMES AND THE WASHINGTON POST.
    5. Lock him up! – WON’T HAPPEN, BUT ONLY FOR THE GOOD OF THE COUNTRY
    6. Greatest "X" ever very bigly thanks to me. – NOT JUST TRUMP'S DOING, BUT HE WAS A DRIVING FORCE BEHIND MUCH OF IT.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Igotadose wrote: »
    I think it's likely there are no debates.
    I think that is a nightly prayer from Biden's campaign managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Can you explain to us what Obamagate is please?

What are you concerned about exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It is possible to acknowledge that Trump is terrible whilst also thinking that Biden is terrible.

• Advertisement

I think that is a nightly prayer from Biden's campaign managers.

I think Biden will have more than enough ammunition on Trump to get him through the debates.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It is possible to acknowledge that Trump is terrible whilst also thinking that Biden is terrible.

It is..

However , Biden is terrible in the way that Accrington Stanley are a terrible football team and Trump is terrible in the way that flesh eating necrotizing fasciitis is a terrible disease.

Both "Terrible" but contextually not in any way shape or form comparable to each other in terms of impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Do you honestly have faith in Donald Trumps ability to engage in a debate intellectually?

I think think anyone believes that Trump will triumph in an intellectual debate, or even that he will try to.

As someone else said, he will stick to his set response list:
    *Sleepy Joe isn't fit to run the country
    *Creepy Joe molest interns and smells kids
    *Biden is after your guns
    *Biden supported segregation

It doesn't matter how intelligently Biden tries to debate him (and I've already made my thoughts clear on his ability to do that) Trump will just be obnoxious and poke at him until he cracks up.

Biden is easy to portray as a bumbling old fart. Some say that he was a bumbling young man too and it's nothing to do with dementia, but he's still frequently lacking in polish and eloquence when speaking. He also has a short temper and doesn't like being challenged.

When you have the high school bully opposite you being a prick, pushing your buttons and ignoring any attempt at reasoned debate, that's a bad combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Biden has no track record as president but his track record as a VP and senator is pretty good.

What makes you think he’ll be terrible?

I think at worst he’ll be boring.

2. Crooked Biden! - LEGITIMATE CONCERN.
    3. Lets Keep America Great! – OUTSTANDING.
    4. THATS FAKE NEWS! – YES IT OFTEN IS, ESPECIALLY CNN, MSNBC, THE NEW YORK TIMES AND THE WASHINGTON POST.
    5. Lock him up! – WON’T HAPPEN, BUT ONLY FOR THE GOOD OF THE COUNTRY
    6. Greatest "X" ever very bigly thanks to me. – NOT JUST TRUMP'S DOING, BUT HE WAS A DRIVING FORCE BEHIND MUCH OF IT.

ha ha nice try.

One question if you think Biden is crooked, do you think Trump is straight as an arrow?

kilns wrote:
    If Joe Biden looks awful in the debates he won't win the election.

I think think anyone believes that Trump will triumph in an intellectual debate, or even that he will try to.

As someone else said, he will stick to his set response list:
    *Sleepy Joe isn't fit to run the country
    *Creepy Joe molest interns and smells kids
    *Biden is after your guns
    *Biden supported segregation

It doesn't matter how intelligently Biden tries to debate him (and I've already made my thoughts clear on his ability to do that) Trump will just be obnoxious and poke at him until he cracks up.

Biden is easy to portray as a bumbling old fart. Some say that he was a bumbling young man too and it's nothing to do with dementia, but he's still frequently lacking in polish and eloquence when speaking. He also has a short temper and doesn't like being challenged.

When you have the high school bully opposite you being a prick, pushing your buttons and ignoring any attempt at reasoned debate, that's a bad combination.

Isnt it true they modelled Biff Tannin in Back to the Future on Trump?

If Joe Biden looks awful in the debates he won't win the election.

The only way Biden will look awful in the debates is if he loses his cool with Trump but on the other hand most people will rejoice at that and wouldnt be great TV if he knocked him out live on TV :D

Trump does not want debates because there is so much ammunition to throw at him and he will have to be in a room where he does not control the narrative and therefore will have to listen to it along with alot of his supporters who probably have not heard a single criticism of him in the last 4 years as they only watch Fox & OANN

I dont think there will be debates as Trump would rather do his rallies to the converted

The only way Biden will look awful in the debates is if he loses his cool with Trump but on the other hand most people will rejoice at that and wouldnt be great TV if he knocked him out live on TV :D

Trump does not want debates because there is so much ammunition to throw at him and he will have to be in a room where he does not control the narrative and therefore will have to listen to it along with alot of his supporters who probably have not heard a single criticism of him in the last 4 years as they only watch Fox & OANN

I dont think there will be debates as Trump would rather do his rallies to the converted

Biden keeping his temper in check in any debates is key. Trump really has nothing to talk about other than unsubstantiated conspiracy theories. If Biden sticks to the facts and ignores Trump's nonsense he should be grand.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Biden keeping his temper in check in any debates is key. Trump really has nothing to talk about other than unsubstantiated conspiracy theories. If Biden sticks to the facts and ignores Trump's nonsense he should be grand.

If Bidens people are smart they will try to get the cristicism across of Trump that his base and Republicans will understand.

You have to expose him for the the fraud that he is, easier said than done. But if he does not show, Biden should do the "debates" alone on prime time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement