Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

notobtuse wrote: »
    I find it astonishing that those here who have condemned whataboutery for ages, when someone on the right dared to comment on the left's hypocrisy, now embrace and promote it because Biden is such a bad candidate.

what are you going on about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kilns wrote: »
    what are you going on about now?

He’s mad because Biden is playing some of the same cards Trump has sworn by, eg, not publishing a list of economic advisors 5 months before an election

Meanwhile Trumps advisor is Larry Kudlow which is so funny it’s sad. Oh he was on this morning said “Trumps people tell me there will be no second wave of the virus” or something to that effect. Just makes you feel so reassured right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

So on Biden’s recent media tour, he’s claiming 'This President is going to try to steal this election.' Joe really needs to investigate the benefits of the drug Aircept.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

So on Biden’s recent media tour, he’s claiming 'This President is going to try to steal this election.' Joe really needs to investigate the benefits of the drug Aircept.

Why shouldn’t he? Trump said the 2016 election was rigged. Got him elected. Go Biden go

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So Biden using Trumps tactics is upsetting for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭golfball37

Biden has being doing well in the polls by letting Trump beat himself and saying nothing. When the campaigning starts Trump will be on steadier ground. Its very much a viable race imo, if I had to call it I'd say four more years for the Don with another and possibly even bigger popular vote defeat. The carry on of the protests and the MSM cheerleading of same won't wash in the States that matter come November, is my feeling.

So Biden using Trumps tactics is upsetting for you?
    The difference is Trump was right. Democrats were trying to steal the election with their farce of an impeachment process. It will go down in history as a desperate charade that did little more than turn the impeachment process into a purely political weapon of the House majority against a president who happens to be part of the opposite party.

What are Biden's reasons for his claim?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

The difference is Trump was right. Democrats were trying to steal the election with their farce of an impeachment process. It will go down in history as a desperate charade that did little more than turn the impeachment process into a purely political weapon of the House majority against a president who happens to be part of the opposite party.

So you haven’t seen John Bolton’s press release today?

Whoops!

Erm

Trump was screaming that before he was elected!

Erm

Trump was screaming that before he was elected!
    If he did he was also proved to be correct with Hillary Clinton and the DNC paid dirty dossier.

• Advertisement

If he did he was also proved to be correct with Hillary Clinton and the DNC paid dirty dossier.

Oh yes the totally only funded by democrats dossier right

Donald Trump’s plan to hold a rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa, Oklahoma is creating justifiable outrage, but it’s worth remembering that he’s taking a page — and arguably enlarging it — from former President and overt racist Ronald Reagan.

Trump is being rightly lambasted for scheduling a rally on June 19 — a day that commemorates the end of slavery in the United States — in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the site of the racist 1921 massacre. While it’s easy to believe Trump is ignorant of both of these black history facts, this is not a coincidence. Somebody did some googling to arrive at that fraught date and location, and his name probably rhymes with Schmephen Schmiller.

But as I’ve observed many times before, Trump is just a more witless and less subtle version of Reagan, who pulled a similar stunt to kick off his 1980 general election campaign. On August 3, 1980 Reagan delivered a speech on “states’ rights” in Philadelphia, Mississippi, where civil rights activists James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner were murdered in 1964. “States rights” is the codeword Republicans have long used to lightly dust their opposition to civil rights with something resembling principle.

This event was a textbook example of the playbook Republicans would use for decades to exploit racism: poorly-coded racist words and actions, occasionally combined with lip service. In order for the technique to work, the coding had to be sufficiently transparent as to be unmistakable to the intended audience, but just coded enough to provide deniability. No need for it to even be plausible.

The playbook worked out pretty well for Reagan, who got reelected and went on to be worshipped by Republicans, and even fondly quoted by Democrats eager to make him seem moderate compared to current Republicans. But nobody was fooled, not even Reagan’s own campaign, as The Washington Post reported at the time:

But some in the campaign objected to the symbolism of Reagan going to a community where three civil rights workers were slain with the complicity of local police officials in 1964.

“It would have been like we were coming to Mississippi and winking at the folks here, saying we didn’t really mean to be talking to them Urban League folk,” said one Reagan source. “It would have been the wrong signal.”

The whole thing sort of fell apart when Reagan was revealed to be an overt racist who called Africans “monkeys” when he didn’t think he was being recorded, but it wasn’t much of a revelation for people who’d been paying attention all along. It’s just that there was a time when it was okay to oppose the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday and then smear him at a press conference after Congress forced you to sign it anyway, or to veto sanctions against a racist government while claiming to oppose it.

Trump has turned that formula on its head, mixing plenty of overt racism in with the artlessly coded kind, along with absurd and inept lip service — sometimes all at the same time. As his fans love to remind people, Trump paid lip service to denouncing white supremacy in the same breath as he was saying there were “very fine people” among the neo-Nazis who chanted “Jews will not replace us!”

In the case of Trump’s Tulsa rally, he is compounding Reagan’s stunt by combining an even more horrific tragedy with a date that is inextricably connected to the resentment that fueled it. In the olden days, those facts alone would have been enough to send the intended message, but more and less are expected of Trump.

You can expect Trump to mark the occasion with plenty of trolling about how he’s done more for black Americans than any president in history, maybe a riff on how George Floyd must be looking down from Heaven waiting to hear him recite The Snake, and the obligatory pointing out of “my African American,” if any show up.

And if we’re lucky, we’ll all be spared a butchering of the history Trump is exploiting with this rally on this date, in this place.

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/trumps-juneteenth-rally-in-tulsa-is-just-an-escalation-of-racist-republican-ronald-reagans-playbook/

Reflects a lot of what we’ve been saying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The first rule of Joe’s Economic Advisors is: you do not talk about Economic Advisors. The second rule about Economic Advisors is: you do NOT TALK about Economic Advisors?

So we’re supposed to vote for Biden because he’s going to fix the economy, but we’re not allowed to know who his economic advisers are. Well, that instills a great amount of confidence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/politics/joe-biden-campaign-economy.html

Whatever about who he chooses, he will have a far larger pool of experts than Trump to draw from. Trump has staff retention issues and can only hang on to self-serving brown-nosers.

Whatever about who he chooses, he will have a far larger pool of experts than Trump to draw from. Trump has staff retention issues and can only hang on to self-serving brown-nosers.
    Biden will be using experts who know more and more about less and less until finally they know everything about nothing?

Biden will be using experts who know more and more about less and less until finally they know everything about nothing?

Sorry, but I think you must have pasted your clipboard contents into the wrong post because your question makes no sense in the context of my post. And that's being kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,787 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Overheal wrote: »
    Donald Trump’s plan to hold a rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa, Oklahoma is creating justifiable outrage, but it’s worth remembering that he’s taking a page — and arguably enlarging it — from former President and overt racist Ronald Reagan.

Trump is being rightly lambasted for scheduling a rally on June 19 — a day that commemorates the end of slavery in the United States — in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the site of the racist 1921 massacre. While it’s easy to believe Trump is ignorant of both of these black history facts, this is not a coincidence. Somebody did some googling to arrive at that fraught date and location, and his name probably rhymes with Schmephen Schmiller.

But as I’ve observed many times before, Trump is just a more witless and less subtle version of Reagan, who pulled a similar stunt to kick off his 1980 general election campaign. On August 3, 1980 Reagan delivered a speech on “states’ rights” in Philadelphia, Mississippi, where civil rights activists James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner were murdered in 1964. “States rights” is the codeword Republicans have long used to lightly dust their opposition to civil rights with something resembling principle.

This event was a textbook example of the playbook Republicans would use for decades to exploit racism: poorly-coded racist words and actions, occasionally combined with lip service. In order for the technique to work, the coding had to be sufficiently transparent as to be unmistakable to the intended audience, but just coded enough to provide deniability. No need for it to even be plausible.

The playbook worked out pretty well for Reagan, who got reelected and went on to be worshipped by Republicans, and even fondly quoted by Democrats eager to make him seem moderate compared to current Republicans. But nobody was fooled, not even Reagan’s own campaign, as The Washington Post reported at the time:

But some in the campaign objected to the symbolism of Reagan going to a community where three civil rights workers were slain with the complicity of local police officials in 1964.

“It would have been like we were coming to Mississippi and winking at the folks here, saying we didn’t really mean to be talking to them Urban League folk,” said one Reagan source. “It would have been the wrong signal.”

The whole thing sort of fell apart when Reagan was revealed to be an overt racist who called Africans “monkeys” when he didn’t think he was being recorded, but it wasn’t much of a revelation for people who’d been paying attention all along. It’s just that there was a time when it was okay to oppose the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday and then smear him at a press conference after Congress forced you to sign it anyway, or to veto sanctions against a racist government while claiming to oppose it.

Trump has turned that formula on its head, mixing plenty of overt racism in with the artlessly coded kind, along with absurd and inept lip service — sometimes all at the same time. As his fans love to remind people, Trump paid lip service to denouncing white supremacy in the same breath as he was saying there were “very fine people” among the neo-Nazis who chanted “Jews will not replace us!”

In the case of Trump’s Tulsa rally, he is compounding Reagan’s stunt by combining an even more horrific tragedy with a date that is inextricably connected to the resentment that fueled it. In the olden days, those facts alone would have been enough to send the intended message, but more and less are expected of Trump.

You can expect Trump to mark the occasion with plenty of trolling about how he’s done more for black Americans than any president in history, maybe a riff on how George Floyd must be looking down from Heaven waiting to hear him recite The Snake, and the obligatory pointing out of “my African American,” if any show up.

And if we’re lucky, we’ll all be spared a butchering of the history Trump is exploiting with this rally on this date, in this place.

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/trumps-juneteenth-rally-in-tulsa-is-just-an-escalation-of-racist-republican-ronald-reagans-playbook/

Reflects a lot of what we’ve been saying here.

Makes sense Trump would know that his base would want to celebrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Will you acknowledge that Biden is terrible whilst also thinking that Trump is terrible?

Yes.

I've acknowledged that all along, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hey maybe the man was just inspecting the bunker?

FYP...

;)

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yes.

Any normal election hidden would be a mess, but against trump the bar is below sea level.

Whereas Trump doesn't need experts as according to him he knows better than anyone else! Doctors, Generals, Scientists...they have nothing when it comes to the knowledge of Kim Jong Trump.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yes.

Thanks, I didn't realize you did. I'll be sure to look out for some Biden is terrible posts from you in the future.

And if you look back at my posts there have been some (not many, but some) where I've criticized Trump.

Thanks, I didn't realize you did. I'll be sure to look out for some Biden is terrible posts from you in the future.

And if you look back at my posts there have been some (not many, but some) where I've criticized Trump.

Biden is boring white bread. He's old, he fumbles his words and he has favoured racist criminal justice policies at a time when practically every white congressman and senator favoured them. He has a son who, no doubt got a job because of who his father was.

That's a drop in the ocean compared to Trump. If you took a list of any list of relevant metrics and compared them both side by side, you'd quickly find that there's no comparison to be made.

I may as well also point out that projecting your feelings for Trump on others and believing that they have the same cult-like sycophantic zeal for Biden as you've displayed for Trump would be a mistake. See the posts here from Obama's term for reference in case you have doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Donald Trump’s plan to hold a rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa, Oklahoma is creating justifiable outrage.

Most people in the US didn't know what Juneteenth was until that date was selected for a rally. It's not a federal holiday and it's not taught in schools, of course it should be but unfortunately it's not.

I'm not going to go back through every post to point them out but some seem to be trying to imply a connection with Trump's base and racism. Just because a person votes for Trump or supports any conservative cause does not make them racist. Members of my family including my wife attended a Trump rally before the covid breakout and the abuse that was thrown at them was absolutely disgusting.

We have a broad group of friends and we are certainly not racist, so I resent any implication that implies all of Trump's base supporters are racist.

Apologies Overheal if I have hijacked your post a little.

HDMI wrote: »
    Most people in the US didn't know what Juneteenth was until that date was selected for a rally. It's not a federal holiday and it's not taught in schools, of course it should be but unfortunately it's not.

I'm not going to go back through every post to point them out but some seem to be trying to imply a connection with Trump's base and racism. Just because a person votes for Trump or supports any conservative cause does not make them racist. Members of my family including my wife attended a Trump rally before the covid breakout and the abuse that was thrown at them was absolutely disgusting.

We have a broad group of friends and we are certainly not racist, so I resent any implication that implies all of Trump's base supporters are racist.

Apologies Overheal if I have hijacked your post a little.

Negative. People know what it is. Blacks celebrate it like Independence Day - as frankly they should.

Not all trump supporters are racist but a lot of racists are trump supporters.

The date and location were chosen with unmistakeable intent. You might accept his denials but everyone else does not.

Negative. People know what it is. Blacks celebrate it like Independence Day - as frankly they should.

The date and location were chosen with unmistakeable intent. You might accept his denials but everyone else does not.

It's not like independence day, kids know what that is because its taught in schools. Juneteenth is not in schools and may come up in studies in college. And just because someone takes a day to celebrate doesn't mean they understand the history.

So if not all Trump supporters are racist but some are then we can say the same about Democrats.

"We don't need any more brown faces that don't want to be a brown voice. We don't need black faces that don't want to be a black voice. We don't need Muslims that don't want to be a Muslim voice. We don't need queers that don't want to be a queer voice."

Congresswoman Aryanna Pressley Democrat

Kinda sounds similar to Biden's comment about not being black enough if you don't vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,787 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Trump wants to give the racists a place where they can celebrate that day aswell. Very considerate.

When you say "a lot", I think you might be understating it as I tend to do myself here.

Are there any groupings of white supremacist types that don't support Trump? I thought he had that lot sewn up.

Pew or someone ought to do a survey about the presidential choices of those who answer "yes" to a the question like "Do you disagree with interracial marriage?".

Trump wants to give the racists a place where they can celebrate that day aswell. Very considerate.

I wouldn't give Trump credit for knowing about Tulsa or the date. This stinks of Miller.

Another all Trump supporters are racist comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

If Trump was a racist he would make for a very bad racist. He has done more for black Americans in the last 3.5 years than the racist Democratic party and there MSM friends has done for the last 100 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement