Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Why can't you play a video that plays for everyone else?

Twitter videos don't play for me in a window here on boards nor any other forum. I have to open the link in a new tab then it plays perfectly from the Twitter site.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,560 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

frag420 wrote: »
    Here, let me help you out a bit...this should defo work!!

Ah but it’s not interspersed with low energy trump and his strained effort to shovel water into his gob

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Why can't you play a video that plays for everyone else?

When I click on a video here the video is replaced with a blue/grey box noting...

“We cannot play the video in this browser. Please try a different web browser.”

I’ve tried playing them in both Chrome and Firefox... neither work. I am using a Windows XP machine though, so that may have something to do with it. Can you tell I'm not much of a fan of change. :P

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

notobtuse wrote: »
    Yes that was a tragedy committed by one very disturbed individual almost three years ago. So you equate that ONE circumstance by one individual to the many deaths and destruction caused in cities all across the US recently by thousands of violent protestors? Maybe you can find one or two more in order to bring up the ratio to three on the Right against probably thousands of violent protestors on the Left.

You're distorting what I said. It was one example. There were plenty of neo-Nazis at that rally and Trump went on to describe them as "very fine people".

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

When I click on a video here the video is replaced with a blue/grey box noting...

“We cannot play the video in this browser. Please try a different web browser.”

I’ve tried playing them in both Chrome and Firefox... neither work. I am using a Windows XP machine though, so that may have something to do with it. Can you tell I'm not much of a fan of change. :P

But all those videos that support your agenda play just fine?

View the tweet on twitter.com if this is a sincere problem you have. And by “sincere” I mean that yes this problem exists in PC browsers but I naturally thought anyone who ran into it would think well to click through to twitter which instantly resolves the matter.

“Ohhhhh now I can see it lads after swallowing all that public bull**** detection on my bluff”

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    Here, let me help you out a bit...this should defo work!!

Can't you give a basic synopsis of the video? I think it's a requirement here to not just dump a video without some explanation.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Can't you give a basic synopsis of the video? I think it's a requirement here to not just dump a video without some explanation.

The original video is one of Biden and Obama jogging together around the White House and then stopping and having a glass of water (single-handed) , interspersed with clips from Trump in West Point struggling to bring a small glass to his mouth and looking like someone with partial paralysis whilst shuffling down a slight incline.

As it happens , I think Trumps problem with ramps/stairs is that the lifts that he is widely reported to wear in his shoes make him a bit unstable going down steps/ramps so he has to go really gingerly so he doesn't stumble.

The thing with the two-handed drinking , I have no real theory there tbh.

You're distorting what I said. It was one example. There were plenty of neo-Nazis at that rally and Trump went on to describe them as "very fine people".
    How many of them were involved in violence, mayhem and destruction of property at the rally? There were some fine people at the rally, people like me dedicated to not erasing history... the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Trump noted...
    And I was talking about people that went because they felt very strongly about the monument to Robert E. Lee, a great general.
    If I was around in the 1860’s I would have fought on the side of the north. That said, I still admire Lee as one of the greatest military generals the US has ever produced. At the outbreak of the Civil War Abraham Lincoln even appointed Lee the position of Major General and offered him the command of the Union army. Lee refused as he believed his duty lay with the state of Virginia. And I would have protested the removal of his statue, also.

One can still regard and respect one's enemy.
    According to US Army Lt Gen H. R. McMaster, who as a captain commanded an armored cavalry troop in the Gulf War, one of his M2 Bradleys had a picture of Erwin Rommel inside. An Iraqi officer prisoner asked the Bradley's driver why he had a picture of America's enemy inside his armored personnel carrier. The driver replied that if the Iraqis had studied Rommel's campaigns perhaps he wouldn't be an American prisoner.

How many of them were involved in violence, mayhem and destruction of property at the rally? There were some fine people at the rally, people like me dedicated to not erasing history... the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Trump noted...

If I was around in the 1860’s I would have fought on the side of the north. That said, I still admire Lee as one of the greatest military generals the US has ever produced. At the outbreak of the Civil War Abraham Lincoln even appointed Lee the position of Major General and offered him the command of the Union army. Lee refused as he believed his duty lay with the state of Virginia. And I would have protested the removal of his statue, also.

So you’d be in favor of renaming one of our bases Fort Bin Laden or Camp Ayatollah? Perhaps Stalin AFB - or Hirohito Harbor will be the new name of Pearl Harbor to honor the emperor that sacked it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

While I haven't conducted a forensic census of the incident, I can be sure that it was more than the one bad egg you tried to pin it on.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The original video is one of Biden and Obama jogging together around the White House and then stopping and having a glass of water (single-handed) , interspersed with clips from Trump in West Point struggling to bring a small glass to his mouth and looking like someone with partial paralysis whilst shuffling down a slight incline.

As it happens , I think Trumps problem with ramps/stairs is that the lifts that he is widely reported to wear in his shoes make him a bit unstable going down steps/ramps so he has to go really gingerly so he doesn't stumble.

The thing with the two-handed drinking , I have no real theory there tbh.
    Thanks. So it is just one of those not too serious campaign ads. Sometimes those things can be quite funny. At first I honestly thought is was going to be something about the Obama/Biden administration not having any scandals. Of course they did, plenty and plenty of illegalities, but it helps when you totally control the FBI, IRS, CIA, DOJ, and State Department with an iron fist and the mainstream media covers for your every misstep, and then of course the scandals wouldn't get reported.

Thanks. So it is just one of those not too serious campaign ads. Sometimes those things can be quite funny. At first I honestly thought is was going to be something about the Obama/Biden administration not having any scandals. Of course they did, plenty and plenty of illegalities, but it helps when you totally control the FBI, IRS, CIA, State Department with an iron fist and the mainstream media covers for your every misstep, and then of course the scandals wouldn't get reported.

Trump has completely overturned these agencies and put his own people in charge of them but still managed to rack up enough indictments to field a football team.

How incompetent do you have to be or criminal?

While I haven't conducted a forensic census of the incident, I can be sure that it was more than the one bad egg you tried to pin it on.
    Doesn't need to be a forensic study. Please be honest. First, I'm sure there are plenty of cellphone videos of that day. Second, you do know if there would have been other violence/mayhem/destruction caused by those on the Right the mainstream media would have been reporting on it for days if not weeks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump noted...

That's really not a good argument, actually it's an awful one.

Rommel was a fantastic military commander for Germany during WW2, arguably one of the best military strategists/tacticians for either side.

But there aren't any Statues to Rommel in Europe , even though he tried to do the right thing in the latter part of the war by trying to take Hitler down.

Why? - Because he fought for and represented an evil and reprehensible regime.

It doesn't mean he is forgotten about or not mentioned in History books etc. or even for there to be grudging respect for his military abilities.

It just means there aren't Statues of him in public places "celebrating" him.

How or why people cannot understand that in the context of statues of Confederate Leaders utterly baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

How or why people cannot understand that in the context of statues of Confederate Leaders utterly baffles me.

Or why so many Republicans today seem to idolise the leaders and the flag of the confederates, traitors of the US who fought against a president Republicans love to hold up as their greatest ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The history taught in US school systems, includes praise for the Confederacy generals. I remember 'advanced placement' history classes in US High School in the 1970's where the teacher stated "The North had the resources, the South had the Generals." So, we were taught to respect people like Lee's abilities - in fact one of the topics I remember studying was whether the impact of the leadership of said Generals kept the war going longer than it should have; the South believed the war would end quickly, the "assault" on Fort Sumter was kind of a picnic day where the South thought it was going through the motions. Lincoln didn't, and he bled the South dry till they surrendered.

Anyway, it's not hard to believe why these confederate military statues evoke so much emotion. Statues of Confederate political leaders (like Jefferson Davis,) make less sense; he was inept, his government a shambles and wildly unsuccessful for the brief period it sort-of existed.

As for notobtuse's point about the Charlottesville rallies, if the presence of the neo-Nazis was not known in advance, i.e., you went to the rally with your Civil War reenactor's guild to support keeping the statues, well, o.k., you have the right to peaceable assembly.

If you knew the Nazis would be there, good citizens shouldn't join with them lest they risk being tarred as supporting them. Fcuk Nazis in any form, even these pathetic tough-guy wannabes.

That's really not a good argument, actually it's an awful one.

Rommel was a fantastic military commander for Germany during WW2, arguably one of the best military strategists/tacticians for either side.

But there aren't any Statues to Rommel in Europe , even though he tried to do the right thing in the latter part of the war by trying to take Hitler down.

Why? - Because he fought for and represented an evil and reprehensible regime.

It doesn't mean he is forgotten about or not mentioned in History books etc. or even for there to be grudging respect for his military abilities.

It just means there are Statues of him in public places "celebrating" him.

You're right there aren't any statues of Rommel in Europe. They've made an attempt to erase history with an out of sight out of mind attitude. Also, there's no evidence he was involved in the plot against Hitler. I know he wasn't a fan of Hitler but after the attempt on Hitler's life even speaking against Hitler, even in private, got you a death sentence.

Attitudes are different here in the US. We often study, admire and celebrate certain enemies who deserve a level of praise. From WW2 the three that stick out in my mind are Rommel, Donitz and von Manstein. There’s a statue to Vladimir Lenin in Seattle, there’s many statues to Native Americans leaders who fought against the US, and plenty of Memorials in the US to our World War Enemies.

I have displays of German and Japanese WW2 items in my garage along with my father's from when he fought in the navy during WW2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How many statues of Rommel are there?

Edit: things have moved on since I went to post.
    You're right there aren't any statues of Rommel in Europe. They've made an attempt to erase history with an out of sight out of mind.

With the potential exception of the likes of Trajan's column (which is an exception purely due to other sources not existing), statues do not record history, they venerate it.

I wonder what possible difference there might be between a native american and a nazi or a confederate? It might be something to do with who was trying to subjugate the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Thanks. So it is just one of those not too serious campaign ads. Sometimes those things can be quite funny. At first I honestly thought is was going to be something about the Obama/Biden administration not having any scandals. Of course they did, plenty and plenty of illegalities, but it helps when you totally control the FBI, IRS, CIA, DOJ, and State Department with an iron fist and the mainstream media covers for your every misstep, and then of course the scandals wouldn't get reported.

What's your thoughts on Trumps inability to raise a glass of water to his lips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Boards is close to turning into Twitter at this rate

• Advertisement

Have you seen the video's of him? Using both hands like an unstable two year old.

So post more than 140 characters if you’re going to have a good awl whinge about it

My thoughts are... I DIDN'T SEE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Was that the one with the Blood and Soil chants, nazi flags and tiki torches?

“WHAT YOURE SEEING AND WHAT YOURE HEARING IS NOT WHATS HAPPENING”

The most essential of the orange orders commands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Overheal wrote: »
    So post more than 140 characters if you’re going to have a good awl whinge about it

I just saw a thread page where you posted 10 times in a row

Podge_irl wrote: »
    How many statues of Rommel are there?

Edit: things have moved on since I went to post.

With the potential exception of the likes of Trajan's column (which is an exception purely due to other sources not existing), statues do not record history, they venerate it.

I wonder what possible difference there might be between a native american and a nazi or a confederate? It might be something to do with who was trying to subjugate the other.
    Should I be telling Europeans they're ignorant regarding all the stupid things we think they do, or should I do as I do and keep quiet out of respect for cultural differences?

Well I for one am shocked

Here you go

I just saw a thread page where you posted 10 times in a row

Cool story? Is it a crime to reply to posts?

• Advertisement

Was that the one with the Blood and Soil chants, nazi flags and tiki torches?

Was there violence, mayhem, and destruction taken upon tiki torches?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement