Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smartz

HDMI wrote: »
    Polls are weird, not sure any Trump supporter would answer the question about who they would vote for fear of being shamed.

Remember this a few weeks ago.. "You've got more questions?" Biden replied. "Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."

So how do you think a black person would answer who they are voting for, there is a real stigma and a lot of shaming for acknowledging that you will vote for Trump.

Biden's choice for vp will be critical, blm warned him not to choose Val Demmings from Florida who is an ex cop. Kamala Harris has issues from her time as a district attorney in California. Stacey Abrahms is another with no real political history other than losing in Georgia. Amy Klobuchar has a George Floyd problem, Elizabeth Warren..... enough said. I really think Biden's camp shafted themselves by saying way in advance that he would choose a woman as vp.

VP choices have historically made no more than a point or two difference in presidential races, and generally have only been decisive in their home states. It's not going to be a huge factor.
    The truth is nothing that Biden does is going to be the decider. Elections after one term are always going to be referendum's on the sitting president, even more so with Presidents who court controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

eagle eye wrote: »
    What can you tell from that? Wet glass, awkward to hold would be my first guess

If it was a one off you might have a point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Sorry can't see that, my computer won't allow me.

Anyway, speaking of the Federalist.

BREAKING: Google just banned the Right-wing website The Federalist from its ad platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,584 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maybe he has a bit of a shake in his hand. Happens to people in their 40's and older from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Maybe he has a bit of a shake in his hand. Happens to people in their 40's and older from time to time.

But he is the most perfect president of all time, never been anyone healthier! He could live to 200!

Now imagine that was Biden, what do you think Trumps tweets would be saying?

The man is hiding his disability/illness, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

smartz wrote: »
    VP choices have historically made no more than a point or two difference in presidential races, and generally have only been decisive in their home states. It's not going to be a huge factor.
    The truth is nothing that Biden does is going to be the decider. Elections after one term are always going to be referendum's on the sitting president, even more so with Presidents who court controversy.

Actually they generally haven't, its a bit of a myth. I read a good article one time refuting this generally held truism, ill try and look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah. Michael J Fox had a shake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

My views are unpopular but I think he is a great president and a fcuking human unlike the robitic perfect obama ..he picked the wrong drug but today a cheap drug is proving effective against c.v ,he said it would fade over the summer and well it seems to have ..He is not my president nor most of yours but he is genuine. I am very glad the world is opening up lockdown was possibly unwarranted..it scared and scarred million ..the lockdown was a suden shock how about they told us about the virus and what the plans where? The panic shopping that ensue proved to them that ppl are sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

But he is the most perfect president of all time, never been anyone healthier! He could live to 200!

The man is hiding his disability/illness, no doubt about it.

He is 74 its possible ..does Micheal D our president have perfect health. Micheal D very quite of late

My views are unpopular but I think he is a great president and a fcuking human unlike the robitic perfect obama ..he picked the wrong drug but today a cheap drug is proving effective against c.v ,he said it would fade over the summer and well it seems to have ..He is not my president nor most of yours but he is genuine. I am very glad the world is opening up lockdown was possibly unwarranted..it scared and scarred million ..the lockdown was a suden shock how about they told us about the virus and what the plans where? The panic shopping that ensue proved to them that ppl are sheep.

What in the world is he genuine about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Fade away?? There were 20,000 new cases in the US yesterday.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Still Ill

he picked the wrong drug but today a cheap drug is proving effective against c.v ,he said it would fade over the summer and well it seems to have

The panic shopping that ensue proved to them that ppl are sheep.

Yeah, you see the thing is that it's not really his job to pick a drug to recommend to people. Particularly if the people are sheep. It's actually quite dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Brian? wrote: »
    Fade away?? There were 20,000 new cases in the US yesterday.

Nearly 25 thousand today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

You're cherry picking things to make it seem like he was "right" about coronavirus. He said they'd be down to 0 cases in March, he said Xi and China were doing a great job, he said concern over coronavirus was a Democratic hoax.

I think the Lincoln Project could have done better but this will still swirl in peoples heads

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1273028594432958467?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

This is quite possibly the worst interview ever conducted by CNN's Brian Stetler.

Whatever the initial purpose of the interview it quickly degenerated, Stetler barely lasting 10 seconds before talking over Trump's campaign manager Jenna Ellis.

Before anyone says "he's just keeping her honest", that's just ridiculous I need to hear what she has to say before he disagrees with it.

Apparently the CNN polls that had Biden ahead by 14 points were outside of 'industry standards'.(they polled adults) If they polled registered and likely voters instead it would show Trump ahead by 8 points(June 11th poll of likely/registered voters).
    Looking further into this story it seems 1,125 out of 1,259 of those adults in the CNN poll were in fact registered voters. Details and nuance we don't get because Stetler keeps interrupting her.

(There is a part 2 of this interview also)

Ellis' treatment from CNN here reminds me of how a certain poster used to be treated around here.
    Snarky, bitchy discourse that just isn't helpful or in any way interesting to anyone.

The Zogby poll shows nothing of the sort. It was a poll on who people think will win, not who they'll vote for. Clinton "won" similar polls by 30-40 odd points in 2016, it's not a serious poll as to the likelihood of voter intention.

2u2me wrote: »
    This is quite possibly the worst interview ever conducted by CNN's Brian Stetler.

Whatever the initial purpose of the interview it quickly degenerated, Stetler barely lasting 10 seconds before talking over Trump's campaign manager Jenna Ellis.

Before anyone says "he's just keeping her honest", that's just ridiculous I need to hear what she has to say before he disagrees with it.

Apparently the CNN polls that had Biden ahead by 14 points were outside of 'industry standards'.(they polled adults) If they polled registered and likely voters instead it would show Trump ahead by 8 points(June 11th poll of likely/registered voters).
    Looking further into this story it seems 1,125 out of 1,259 of those adults in the CNN poll were in fact registered voters. Details and nuance we don't get because Stetler keeps interrupting her.

(There is a part 2 of this interview also)

Ellis' treatment from CNN here reminds me of how a certain poster used to be treated around here.
    Snarky, bitchy discourse that just isn't helpful or in any way interesting to anyone.

Because the first words out of her mouth are specious bull****, to put it mildly. Whatever she said after that is based on falsehood, then. I have no reason to think a Trump payroll surrogate was going to “nuance” the bit in bold which would have only been to the favor of CNN, rather she would have had some other ready made line to garb.

Where we fundamentally agree is the interview itself was a wreck and I knew that 15 seconds in - which is when she should have simply been cut for a commercial. Don’t give oxygen to an obvious falsehood, or to someone with the first words out of their mouth are in bad faith.

The Zogby poll shows nothing of the sort. It was a poll on who people think will win, not who they'll vote for. Clinton "won" similar polls by 30-40 odd points in 2016, it's not a serious poll as to the likelihood of voter intention.

That would have been a great respose from Stetler, shame most viewers will never learn that.

I don't think anybody would be going in about things like that. Well not anybody with a bit of cop on anyways.
    The concerns with Biden are to do with forgetfulness, calling Corey Booker the President, claiming he met a man in Paris who has been dead for over 20 years and lots more stuff like that.b
    He's got away with it to this point but if it happens in the live debates it'll definitely have an impact on the election.

• Advertisement

I don't think anybody would be going in about things like that. Well not anybody with a bit of cop on anyways.
    The concerns with Biden are to do with forgetfulness, calling Corey Booker the President, claiming he met a man in Paris who has been dead for over 20 years and lots more stuff like that.b
    He's got away with it to this point but if it happens in the live debates it'll definitely have an impact on the election.
    OK, but if that's your view......then Trump mentioning an AIDS vaccine is surely just as concerning.

OK, but if that's your view......then Trump mentioning an AIDS vaccine is surely just as concerning.
    Obviously. I despise Trump and anything that's there and fair game is good. Tbh I wouldn't go down the route of mentioning his faculties at all though. People hate him, let's not give them the chance to have sympathy of any sort for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

BREAKING: Google just banned the Right-wing website The Federalist from its ad platform.

This one kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth and just doesn't seem right. NBC reported The Federalist to Google and apparently they had to disable their comments section because it is unmoderated. NBC and MSNBC are part of the same stable, with NBC making itself a media policeman will they be reporting MSNBC when they publish unproven junk?

I have never read The Federalist but it was quite interesting to hear one of the co founders talk about how things went down. I know the majority are not Tucker fans but he called out some big names in the Republican party for not doing their jobs and giving Google a pass previously.

https://youtu.be/aeV0aIc9cH0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

2u2me wrote: »

Not sure if your point is this but if you read the poll, the Trump vs. Biden question only sampled those who were registered voters. Page 9 here https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2020/images/06/08/rel6a.-.race.and.2020.pdf

In any case, it's perfectly valid to poll RV at this time. Major polling companies switch to LV around September of an election year if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Biden needs the black vote to turn out if he is to get elected, will be interesting to see how this plays out.

"More than 50 liberal groups have signed a letter to Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, warning he could lose black voters’ support unless he commits to more transformative policing reforms."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-biden-idUSKBN23N2EB

Biden needs the black vote to turn out if he is to get elected, will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think he's been playing up to the radicals for quite a while now, ever since they came down on him hard for the 'we got things done' comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Forgetfulness...you mean something that happens to all of us from time to time? I went to a takeaway yesterday and when I got to the counter, I'd forgotten what I was supposed to order. I must have dementia then if your judging other people by the same standards you're judging Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Overheal wrote: »
    I think the Lincoln Project could have done better but this will still swirl in peoples heads

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1273028594432958467?s=21

Rick Wilson probably should stick to mediocre adverts rather than twitter. The Dominos pizza attack was fairly lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Forgetfulness...you mean something that happens to all of us from time to time? I went to a takeaway yesterday and when I got to the counter, I'd forgotten what I was supposed to order. I must have dementia then if your judging other people by the same standards you're judging Biden.

But he has a hand shake, which anyone in their 40s means they've definitely undoubtably got parkinsons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

"More than 50 liberal groups have signed a letter to Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, warning he could lose black voters’ support unless he commits to more transformative policing reforms."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-biden-idUSKBN23N2EB

The looting helped him to dodge the bullet over his telling the brothers and sisters in the hood that they are not really black unless they vote for him. He owes the Minneapolis PD a few beers!

He is a vacuous timeserver who will bomb as more people get to see and listen to him.

He will get the black vote obviously, but maybe not n the sort of numbers outside of the Democrat hells kitchens to win the states that are in the balance where decent black people are no more impressed by the anarchy fostered by the Democrats than anyone else.

The loons trying to get him to sign up to doing away with the peelers will not help him. Let's hope they get a good hearing at the convention :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement