Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

2u2me wrote: »
    This is pretty much the only part I object to. That was really the point of showing that video, it grated on me.

I was a viewer trying to learn the facts, it seemed like Jenna Ellis was being reasonable and fair. It wasn't until I checked later myself that what Stetler was saying was right, but that's not the impression I got at the time.

It is his show, he invites guests on to speak; he should at least allow them to finish. If he had done his job properly and came back with the statistics and intricacies about the CNN poll and the rasmussen poll, then he would have made Ellis look like an ass. He could have done that so easily, but instead he chose to go down the route of badgering and abusing; which I don't think paints him or his cause in a good light. It's just not helpful for anyone.

You could argue he 'shut her down' but she's just going to go on another show and spout the same stuff, no?

The thing is , what she wanted was an uninterrupted ~30s clip of her "laying down the law to the Corrupt Fake News CNN" that would then be memed like crazy across Facebook with titles like "JENNA ELLIS DESTROYS FAKE NEWS CNN" or similar.

The target audience for these clips will never be watching CNN so all they would see would be that clip and not the possible polite rebuttal from Stelter saying "I'm sorry but every word that just came out of your mouth was a lie and here's a whole host of facts and evidence to prove it".

By interrupting her , he denied her that clip .

Agreed that it's sad that that is what the US media have become , but these people do not appear on CNN or MSNBC etc. to debate in good faith - It's to generate clips of them "owning the libs in their own backyard" for Twitter and Facebook.

However if CNN et al refused to have them on they'd be accused of censorship so they can't really win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The thing is , what she wanted was an uninterrupted ~30s clip of her "laying down the law to the Corrupt Fake News CNN" that would then be memed like crazy across Facebook with titles like "JENNA ELLIS DESTROYS FAKE NEWS CNN" or similar.

The target audience for these clips will never be watching CNN so all they would see would be that clip and not the possible polite rebuttal from Stelter saying "I'm sorry but every word that just came out of your mouth was a lie and here's a whole host of facts and evidence to prove it".

By interrupting her , he denied her that clip .

Agreed that it's sad that that is what the US media have become , but these people do not appear on CNN or MSNBC etc. to debate in good faith - It's to generate clips of them "owning the libs in their own backyard" for Twitter and Facebook.

However if CNN et al refused to have them on they'd be accused of censorship so they can't really win.

You make a good argument and I understand what you're saying. I just think there are ways of badgering the guest that is also positive for the watching audience.

Watch how Paxman squares of against Michael Howard. I don't think the clipping of Howard's answers could have helped him in the slightest. He does it in 8 minutes, Stetler had 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You make a good argument and I understand what you're saying. I just think there are ways of badgering the guest that is also positive for the watching audience.

Watch how Paxman squares of against Michael Howard. I don't think the clipping of Howard's answers could have helped him in the slightest. He does it in 8 minutes, Stetler had 13.

That’s just not how it’s done here anymore. This has been a graduation of absurdity because news media has become what trump wants it to be. It’s why his surrogates go on the news every night to spout lies even after the fact check. Hosts have cut off mics they have gone to commercial etc and that too just became “muh censorship” etc. which was a graduation from 2016 when many many outlets just let trump and his surrogates talk and talk and talk because it was good for ratings and they felt that what he was saying was so absurd that it was a fascination, what we see now is the realization that leaving that speech unchecked has dire consequences - like half of America thinking global warming is a hoax and a new world order conspiracy. That idea that you can bring on one SME and one blowhard and if he blowhard gets in some salacious soundbytes that means his version of the truth wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Overheal wrote: »
    That’s just not how it’s done here anymore. This has been a graduation of absurdity because news media has become what trump wants it to be. It’s why his surrogates go on the news every night to spout lies even after the fact check. Hosts have cut off mics they have gone to commercial etc and that too just became “muh censorship” etc. which was a graduation from 2016 when many many outlets just let trump and his surrogates talk and talk and talk because it was good for ratings and they felt that what he was saying was so absurd that it was a fascination, what we see now is the realization that leaving that speech unchecked has dire consequences - like half of America thinking global warming is a hoax and a new world order conspiracy. That idea that you can bring on one SME and one blowhard and if he blowhard gets in some salacious soundbytes that means his version of the truth wins.

The 2020s will be the decade of rolling back globalisation

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Paxman clip is a classic , but how it came about is not quite as "cool" as it initially made Paxman seem.

What actually happened was that Paxmans ear-piece broke and he was no longer being fed the next question by the production team.

So he didn't have a question to move on to and Howard was irritating him so he just kept repeating the only question he had to ask.. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not if Biden wins with the support of the woke capitalists in Amazon, Google etc!

Interesting point made by the black Berkeley prof who contrasted Starbucks and Sony's support for BLM with Starbucks buying coffee from plantations that have slave labour and Sony using cobalt mined by black African children.

What a gang of hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not if Biden wins with the support of the woke capitalists in Amazon, Google etc!

Amazon, lols.

You don't become a trillion dollar company without trampling on a whole lot of peoples rights.

Interesting point made by the black Berkeley prof who contrasted Starbucks and Sony's support for BLM with Starbucks buying coffee from plantations that have slave labour and Sony using cobalt mined by black African children.

What a gang of hypocrites.

Statement from SBUX, tldr people are mistaken/they've addressed the matter: https://stories.starbucks.com/stories/2020/a-message-from-starbucks-svp-global-coffee-zero-tolerance-for-child-labor/

Sony's responsible sourcing initiative to address revalations about cobalt mining conditions: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr_report/sourcing/materials/high_risk_mineral.html

It's not as though either company is ignoring those issues or embracing them for profit.

Statement from SBUX, tldr people are mistaken/they've addressed the matter: https://stories.starbucks.com/stories/2020/a-message-from-starbucks-svp-global-coffee-zero-tolerance-for-child-labor/

Sony's responsible sourcing initiative to address revalations about cobalt mining conditions: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr_report/sourcing/materials/high_risk_mineral.html

It's not as though either company is ignoring those issues or embracing them for profit.

:D

Good man. Do you still believe in Santa?

:D

Good man. Do you still believe in Santa?

No Santa is a fictional character appropriated by Coca-cola.

Do you have some newer information that purportedly shows either company is engaged in deliberately inhumane business practices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The huuuge rally in anti-Sharia-law Oklahoma might have a bunch of no-shows booking tickets (kind of like what happened to Pope Frank out here.)

"TikTok users are trying to troll Trump's campaign by reserving tickets for Tulsa rally they'll never use"

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/16/politics/tiktok-trump-tulsa-rally-trnd/index.html

It would be hilarious if the arena's not full. Hilarious.

And of course, you need to sign a waiver regarding Covid-19 to attend an event where Covid-19 will be described as a hoax and under control. That's a special kind of... insufficient thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sorry, what?

:eek:

Do you have some newer information that purportedly shows either company is engaged in deliberately inhumane business practices?

Starbucks only made a statement when they were exposed! The source of cobalt from Africa and the barbaric conditions the people who mine it are subjected to have been known about for years.

Do you seriously believe that corporations like Starbucks and Sony do not know the minutest details of where their wage bill is going?

Black Lives Matter. Not in Africa obviously....

Starbucks only made a statement when they were exposed! The source of cobalt from Africa and the barbaric conditions the people who mine it are subjected to have been known about for years.

Do you seriously believe that corporations like Starbucks and Sony do not know the minutest details of where their wage bill is going?

Yes its very possible to do business with say, a chinese metalworks company, and not audit the suppliers of their supplier's suppliers or have certifications for every food vendor that feeds the vending machines in the chinese break room in case the people making chinese twinkies use child labor, etc.

Both companies clearly have plans in place to audit and certify them all the way upstream now that this has been identified as an issue. Accusing them of having done it in the past as a matter of deliberation and to not-be-caught it belongs in conspiracy theories imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The irony of you saying that, will you be smashing your smartphone and going back to basics now that you know cobalt is used in it?

Ir is it a case of

Black lives matter, but not in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

What does that statement mean in a thread about Trumps re-election chances? It's a one liner sound bite signifying nothing without some sort of context followed by any expansion on your prediction backed up with some evidence to solidify your statement. Otherwise it's essentially meaningless.

Its not a conspiracy theory, it happens to be true.

And buying coffee and cobalt is not exactly on same level as the specious analogy you use. Of course they know where vital inputs come from, how much they cost and who supplies them.

House invaders and junkies obviously come higher up the Starbucks food chain than slaves. Maybe they will send them some BLM tee shirts ?

Its not a conspiracy theory, it happens to be true.

And buying coffee and cobalt is not exactly on same level as the specious analogy you use. Of course they know where vital inputs come from, how much they cost and who supplies them.

House invaders and junkies obviously come higher up the Starbucks food chain than slaves. Maybe they will send them some BLM tee shirts ?

So you the buyer is not responsible for what you buy from upstream, only they the buyer are responsible for what they buy from upstream. Sounds sensible...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Overheal wrote:
    Again context matters. These weren’t that crazy in context, like the President booker future president etc in a presidential debate for hours where everyone is talking President this president that as future president as president I will do this the president that etc.
    But he called him the President and when corrected by Booker he called him future President. It made absolutely no sense.

eagle eye wrote: »
    But he called him the President and when corrected by Booker he called him future President. It made absolutely no sense.

I'd get tongue tied to if I was on a debate stage with [how many other candidates?] debating the presidency itself, campaigning for president, and criticizing the current president, and even appraising former presidents.

Now if you showed me a video of biden speaking perfectly normally and it wasn't a gaffe so much as a stroke where he's replacing words like 'president' with complete unrelated words like 'toaster' then you'd have me on the hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

And just when you thought It couldn't get any better
    President Trump asked Chinese President Xi Jinping to help him win the 2020 U.S. election, telling Xi during a summit dinner last year that increased agricultural purchases by Beijing from American farmers would aid his electoral prospects, according to a damning new account of life inside the Trump administration by former national security adviser John Bolton.

Plus agreeing with locking up 1 million people in camps
    At the same meeting, Xi also defended China’s construction of camps housing up to 1 million Uighur Muslims in Xinjiang — and Trump signaled his approval. “According to our interpreter,” Bolton writes, “Trump said that Xi should go ahead with building the camps, which Trump thought was exactly the right thing to do.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-asked-chinas-xi-to-help-him-win-reelection-according-to-bolton-book/2020/06/17/d4ea601c-ad7a-11ea-868b-93d63cd833b2_story.html

Cant say Im surprised anymore

Brian? wrote:
    You think it’s reasonable to diagnose dementia based on the mistakes and completely ignore the massive amount of evidence that Biden has always made mistakes and is making some great speeches right now.
    That’s not a reasonable position for anyone to take.
    No it's reasonable to believe there may be a problem like dementia.

Overheal wrote:
    Now if you showed me a video of biden speaking perfectly normally and it wasn't a gaffe so much as a stroke where he's replacing words like 'president' with complete unrelated words like 'toaster' then you'd have me on the hook.
    That's like a stroke victim not dementia.

Brian? wrote:
    You think it’s reasonable to diagnose dementia based on the mistakes and completely ignore the massive amount of evidence that Biden has always made mistakes and is making some great speeches right now.
    That’s not a reasonable position for anyone to take.
    No I think it's reasonable to assume there may be dementia. I never diagnosed anybody. That's people reading poorly and assuming I said that. Saying somebody looks like they may have dementia isn't the same as saying as diagnosing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How do you with your expert medical knowledge and experience differentiate between the two?

I'm not seeing clear evidence of dementia from either one of them. Trump has a serious physical impediment though and Trump has a hard time reading and speaking on a teleprompter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Still waiting on your diagnosis on the below...
    frag420 wrote: »

Who is Michael Aviante (49 secs)
    Who is Secretary General Jeraaaar (50 secs) - Just look at the face on the lady behind him...
    Who is Chris Response (59 secs) -

But I can save you some time and ask you to skip to 1.43secs...he knows it, do you?

In this selection of stable genius please explain how trump forgot the name of a guy who was in the rooms beside him, someone he appointed, who the hell is Mike Bolton...and the rest!!

Whats an infantroopen badge? (11 secs)
    What are suspesdig gang members (20secs)
    Who are the 9/elective victims (46secs)
    Who is Karen, its like he just made someone up (1.36 secs)

Whats worse is that he is reading from a sheet or a teleprompter, the guy can even read whats on a page. My 7 yr old niece has a better grasp of language, grammar and reading than Trump!

So how you can sit there and say that Biden is in anyway unfit for office when the above is just a tiny percentage of Trumps misspeaking/forgetting/being rude etc etc.

All the Dems have to do during any debates (if Trump is brave enough) is to place a 30 sec split screen advert during the breaks showing Biden out running and talking with the public and the other side of the screen showing Trumps inability to feed himself, walk down a ramp, hold a bible etc etc etc...and the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

can't wait for Bolton's book, just reading some of the excerpts

He also describes a summer 2019 meeting in New Jersey where Trump says journalists should be jailed so they have to divulge their sources: “These people should be executed. They are scumbags,” Trump said, according to Bolton's account

Bolton recounts numerous private conversations Trump had with other leaders that revealed the limits of his knowledge. He recalls Trump asking Kelly if Finland is part of Russia. In a meeting with then-British Prime Minister Theresa May in 2018, a British official referred to the United Kingdom as a “nuclear power,” and Trump interjects: “Oh, are you a nuclear power?” Bolton adds that he could tell the question about Britain, which has long maintained a nuclear arsenal, “was not intended as a joke.”

"That same month, on the 30th anniversary of China’s massacre of pro-democracy demonstrators in Tiananmen Square, Trump refused to issue a White House statement. 'That was 15 years ago,' he said, inaccurately. 'Who cares about it? I’m trying to make a deal. I don’t want anything.' And that was that."

In the months following the summit, Bolton described Trump’s inordinate interest in Pompeo delivering an autographed copy of Elton John’s “Rocket Man” on CD to Kim during Pompeo’s follow-on visit to North Korea. Trump had used the term “Little Rocket Man” to criticize the North Korean leader but subsequently tried to convince Kim that it was a term of affection.
    “Trump didn’t seem to realize Pompeo hadn’t actually seen Kim Jong Un [during the trip], asking if Pompeo had handed” the CD, wrote Bolton. “Pompeo had not. Getting this CD to Kim remained a high priority for several months.”

Bolton attributes a litany of shocking statements to the president. Trump said invading Venezuela would be “cool” and that the South American nation was “really part of the United States.” Bolton says Trump kept confusing the current and former presidents of Afghanistan, while asking Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to help him strike a deal with Iran. And Trump told Xi that Americans were clamoring for him to change the constitutional rules to serve more than two terms, according to the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

kingtiger wrote: »
    can't wait for Bolton's book, just reading some of the excerpts

He also describes a summer 2019 meeting in New Jersey where Trump says journalists should be jailed so they have to divulge their sources: “These people should be executed. They are scumbags,” Trump said, according to Bolton's account

Bolton recounts numerous private conversations Trump had with other leaders that revealed the limits of his knowledge. He recalls Trump asking Kelly if Finland is part of Russia. In a meeting with then-British Prime Minister Theresa May in 2018, a British official referred to the United Kingdom as a “nuclear power,” and Trump interjects: “Oh, are you a nuclear power?” Bolton adds that he could tell the question about Britain, which has long maintained a nuclear arsenal, “was not intended as a joke.”

In the months following the summit, Bolton described Trump’s inordinate interest in Pompeo delivering an autographed copy of Elton John’s “Rocket Man” on CD to Kim during Pompeo’s follow-on visit to North Korea. Trump had used the term “Little Rocket Man” to criticize the North Korean leader but subsequently tried to convince Kim that it was a term of affection.
    “Trump didn’t seem to realize Pompeo hadn’t actually seen Kim Jong Un [during the trip], asking if Pompeo had handed” the CD, wrote Bolton. “Pompeo had not. Getting this CD to Kim remained a high priority for several months.”

Bolton attributes a litany of shocking statements to the president. Trump said invading Venezuela would be “cool” and that the South American nation was “really part of the United States.” Bolton says Trump kept confusing the current and former presidents of Afghanistan, while asking Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to help him strike a deal with Iran. And Trump told Xi that Americans were clamoring for him to change the constitutional rules to serve more than two terms, according to the book.

Bolton is a traitor to his country. He put his own personal wealth above his duties as an American citizen. He could have revealed all this at Trumps impeachment and Trump would be gone by now but he decided to cash in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,086 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The Paxman clip is a classic , but how it came about is not quite as "cool" as it initially made Paxman seem.

What actually happened was that Paxmans ear-piece broke and he was no longer being fed the next question by the production team.

So he didn't have a question to move on to and Howard was irritating him so he just kept repeating the only question he had to ask.. :-)

As far as I know, the earpiece was working fine and he was being told to draaaag it out as a satellite link had gone down for his next interview.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement