Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

HDMI wrote: »
    So you think he should scrap it as easily as Obama made it?

A government of executive orders would be a mess, the last thing the US needs is Presidents bypassing the two houses. The two parties need to find a way to get things done properly.

do i think he should scrap it? absolutely not. i cant see any reason he should scrap it apart from his massive racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

do i think he should scrap it? absolutely not. i cant see any reason he should scrap it apart from his massive racism.

I am not a fan of daca and I believe a proper law needs to be passed that's gives rights to those currently within the country. To both parties they are just bargaining chips and it should be dealt with as an issue on its own not as a tool for bargaining against government shutdowns or walls.

The Supreme Court has basically told Trump that he can shut it down, so daca recipients are no better off today than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,546 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All I can find is Schumer going to Trump and offering a deal for daca and the wall to avert a government shutdown, can't seem to find anything passed by both houses. I only moved over September 2018 so any chance of a link?

“ Trump said he’d sign whatever immigration bill Congress could send him. “I’m not saying I want this or I want that. I will sign it,” he told the group.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/trump-immigration-white-house-meeting-congress-daca/550100/

“ The discussions played out in a spirited, televised exchange at the White House between Trump and lawmakers from both parties that highlighted the president's apparent eagerness to broker a compromise.

"I will take all the heat you want to give me," Trump declared, offering political cover in his quest for a compromise, "and take the heat off the Democrats and the Republicans."

Yet Trump also revealed his changeability on immigration, an emotionally charged issue that has strongly divided Washington for years. Over a meeting that lasted about 90 minutes — more than half of it televised — Trump appeared to contradict himself, at turns professing support for a "clean" bill to protect undocumented immigrants brought illegally to this country as children, reiterating his demands for a border wall opposed by Democrats and professing to support the kind of comprehensive overhaul of immigration policy that has been anathema to conservatives.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-professes-desire-to-protect-dreamers--but-fate-of-deal-remains-uncertain/2018/01/09/cdf2f51c-f562-11e7-beb6-c8d48830c54d_story.html

“ President says he’s ready to negotiate over funding for a border wall. Here are three deals he has rejected[:]”
    • Trump-Schumer negotiations: In January 2018, Mr. Trump met with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) for 90 minutes, with then-chief of staff John Kelly the only White House aide present. Mr. Schumer offered the president $25 billion over an unspecified period to be used for a border wall, paired with a path to citizenship for the young immigrants.

Mr. Trump in September 2017 had ended an Obama-era program, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, that allowed those immigrants to work and shielded them from deportation. An appeals court in November rejected Mr. Trump’s move to end the program, which is expected to be reviewed by the Supreme Court.

Mr. Kelly later called Mr. Schumer, saying that the White House considered the deal too liberal and that it didn’t do enough to end the system that prioritizes immigrants who already have family ties in the U.S.

• Bipartisan Senate proposal: In February 2018, a bipartisan group of senators hashed out a compromise proposal that would have provided $25 billion for border security over 10 years, starting with a $2.5 billion installment last year.

It would also have enabled about 1.8 million young immigrants to become citizens over a 10-to-12-year timeline, but it sought to bar them from sponsoring their parents from citizenship. Lawmakers believed it could have passed the GOP-held Senate had Mr. Trump endorsed it, but he opposed it, saying it didn’t do enough to curb legal immigration. The measure then failed in the Senate in a 54-45 vote.

It was never taken up by the House, which was then controlled by Republicans who worked on their own set of immigration bills.

• Senate stopgap spending bill: Shortly before Christmas, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) brought a bill to the Senate floor that would have extended the government’s current funding through Feb. 8. Mr. McConnell said at the time that he was closely communicating with the White House and lawmakers expected Mr. Trump to sign it.

But after it passed the Senate, Mr. Trump appeared to change his mind and, encouraged by House Republicans, said the next day that he would veto it because it didn’t meet his demand for border-wall funding. The Senate bill would have extended current funding for the Homeland Security Department, including money for fencing, bollard barriers, levees and technology—but not a concrete barrier. Democrats say a sweeping spending bill that passed earlier last year included $1.3 billion for border security, while Republicans, counting slightly differently, say it included $1.57 billion.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shutdown-has-been-a-year-in-the-making-11547498818

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/960522569492426753?s=21

“ Trump became angry during a conversation about the visa lottery program, which benefits some African countries, and about the temporary protected status afforded to immigrants from certain nations, including El Salvador and Haiti.
    "Why do we need more Haitians?" Trump said, according to people familiar with the meeting. "Take them out." ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/talks-on-a-potential-immigration-deal-continue-with-deep-skepticism-on-both-sides/2018/01/11/d9f53ae8-f6cd-11e7-a9e3-ab18ce41436a_story.html

“ All the proposals for DACA and border security funding went down in flames in February for various reasons unrelated to the filibuster.

The most popular compromise in the Senate would have given in to the White House's demands, which included $25 billion for construction of the wall along the US-Mexico border and other security measures in addition to providing a pathway to citizenship for DACA recipients. That plan received some Democratic support, but failed 54-45.

Even though that plan failed to surpass the 60-vote threshold, the filibuster was irrelevant in that case as the Trump administration had already rejected the deal.

White House officials called it dead on arrival before a vote was even held, and the Department of Homeland Security called it "an egregious violation of the four compromise pillars laid out by the President's immigration reform framework."”

https://www.businessinsider.com/trumps-blames-filibuster-for-daca-deal-2018-4

Congress was more than able at numerous stages to strike a deal but Trump couldn’t stand to look weak. People who were once considered sympatico with Trump or at the very least were xenophobes, attacked him on social media and clearly he took it personal.

https://twitter.com/anncoulter/status/1194330911321579524?s=21

Hannity has also been critical of giving any quarter to Democrats on this matter, someone that is basically soul bound to Trump at this stage

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/hannity-responds-potential-daca-deal

Overheal wrote: »
    “ Trump said he’d sign whatever immigration bill Congress could send him. “I’m not saying I want this or I want that. I will sign it,” he told the group.”

Thank you for the long reply, unfortunately I can't read the Washington Post nor Wall Street Journal articles I only get 5 freebies a month.

The links I can read are pretty much what I said in my previous comment that daca shouldn't be tied up in some negotiation for something else. I see the part where he said he would sign anything but at the same time he had party members in his ear saying something else. Dirty politics at it's finest.

The Democrats don't get a pass on this because they also tried to trade on these people who are here through no choice of their own.

We know a young girl who is caught up in this and she has two small kids. She signed up for daca under Obama got approved and not long after had to briefly return to Mexico for her grandmother's funeral. She lost her daca status as a result of leaving the country and is now here as an illegal immigrant.

Both parties need to find a way to sit down with no hidden agenda and get it sorted. No horse trading and just get a law passed.

MediaITE compiled an updated list of every hire of Trumps that hes later fired and lambasted on twitter.

“I’ll have the best people!”

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/very-best-people-heres-a-list-of-everyone-president-trump-hired-and-then-destroyed-on-twitter/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Overheal wrote: »
    MediaITE compiled an updated list of every hire of Trumps that hes later fired and lambasted on twitter.

“I’ll have the best people!”

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/very-best-people-heres-a-list-of-everyone-president-trump-hired-and-then-destroyed-on-twitter/

Between MedialTE and yourself Trump gets away with nothing I'd say. No wonder he sleeps so little.

You are only at the halfway point yet. Another 4 year to go

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Between MedialTE and yourself Trump gets away with nothing I'd say. No wonder he sleeps so little.

You are only at the halfway point yet. Another 4 year to go

Have MedialTE published anything there that you would consider a lie? Or are you just ignoring Trumps own tweets?

The best people indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Here is the ad I think

EaxB3swXkAAh7xg?format=jpg&name=small

That symbol may look familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

oh Trumps ravings in twitter are going to reach a new level

Cant wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Here is the ad I think

Jesus christ. I had heard about it and thought it was a mistake or something. That is terrifyingly blatant.

That couldn't be real?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Here is the ad I think

Miller trolling again. 88 were sent out and by hyphenating "far left", he got the word count in the first sentence down to 14.

Double whammy as Trump dog whistles violence over the 2nd amendment and also suggests stacking the Supreme Court with more justices.

https://twitter.com/jojofromjerz/status/1273634974474940417?s=21

Could only imagine if Mitch McConnell violated the biden rule to stack the Supreme Court either before the election or before Trump is kicked out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Here is the ad I think

That has to be fake.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    That has to be fake.

What is the upside down red triangle?

I looked it up. Nazi symbol. In fairness that is beyond retarded. Shouldn't be let near Twitter.
    Probably still win in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

tri1.jpg

pretty obvious

I looked it up. Nazi symbol. In fairness that is beyond retarded. Shouldn't be let near Twitter.

Yup, they should just close his account and tell him to pìss off

Yup, they should just close his account and tell him to pìss off

Surely a suspension. They dont have the bottle to do it though. Trump could severly obstruct Twitter if he chose to

• Advertisement

Surely a suspension. They dont have the bottle to do it though. Trump could severly obstruct Twitter if he chose to

Twitter and facebook should both shut him down for that stunt, clear breach of their T&C's. Let him rant and rave theres nothing he could do to them, the money they have between them they would crush him in courts.

Twitter and facebook should both shut him down for that stunt, clear breach of their T&C's. Let him rant and rave theres nothing he could do to them, the money they have between them they would crush him in courts.

I don't think they would want to go to war with the president of the United States. They are tipping away profitably consistently. Wont risk anything. Neither will ban him.

Who is responsible for the ads?

I doubt he was anyway involved directly, so whoever placed them needs to be fired. The symbol does not appear on his own website.

https://forms.donaldjtrump.com/landing/antifa-terrorist-org-petition?utm_source=organic_popup&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=20200612__popup_multiarm-bandit-antifa-popup_na_djt&utm_content=djt_home

Holy Feck. I can’t believe they’re stupid enough to do that, so it must have been an intentional dog whistle and test to see what Facebook will do.

No they’ll cry about free speech and push for more action on social media. It’s sickening.

they/them/theirs

Who is responsible for the ads?

I doubt he was anyway involved directly, so whoever placed them needs to be fired. The symbol does not appear on his own website.

https://forms.donaldjtrump.com/landing/antifa-terrorist-org-petition?utm_source=organic_popup&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=20200612__popup_multiarm-bandit-antifa-popup_na_djt&utm_content=djt_home

He only hires the best people though.

they/them/theirs

I guarantee you his alt right minions know exactly what that means. Which was why it was used.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Holy Feck. I can’t believe they’re stupid enough to do that, so it must have been an intentional dog whistle and test to see what Facebook will do.

ah here, that's way to smart for the people that Trump has surrounded himself with to come up with such a cunning plan

I guarantee you his alt right minions know exactly what that means. Which was why it was used.

Alt right minions dont make up the numbers for an election victory. He is destroying any chance he had for election. Very stupid. Pre coronavirus he would have had a solid shot at re election. Throw race riots on top.

Biden's best bet is definitely do nothing high profile and let Trump dig deeper.

Election odds have completely changed in the past 3 months

Alt right minions dont make up the numbers for an election victory. He is destroying any chance he had for election. Very stupid. Pre coronavirus he would have had a solid shot at re election. Throw race riots on top.

Biden's best bet is definitely do nothing high profile and let Trump dig deeper.

Election odds have completely changed in the past 3 months

The alt right will be reinvigorated by this carry on. They’ll be sharing pro Trump/ anti Biden post of FB and Twitter. They’re free campaign ads. It’s disgusting how predictable it is.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Wow.

It's over. Dead duck. Give Biden the keys to the Whitehouse now.

The far right will love it, of course they will. But they're a very small minority in the grand scheme of things.

Any election is won and lost on the moderates. The die hard Republicans will always vote Republican, the die hard Democrats will always vote Democrat.

It's winning those who can be swayed either way that makes the difference.

Trump won that vote last time because Hilary was very unpopular and Trump ran a good campaign with the MAGA slogan.

But now, holy crap. Between his handling of Covid and the riots he is losing sway with even the Republican base. Add to that an absolutely indefensible use of this symbol and the piss poor "ah but its an emoji" response, and I can't see anyone even close to politically central touching him with a barge pole.

Asode from it being sick, its political suicide. What the actual F?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement