Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Brian? wrote: »
    The alt right will be reinvigorated by this carry on. They’ll be sharing pro Trump/ anti Biden post of FB and Twitter. They’re free campaign ads. It’s disgusting how predictable it is.

Yeah but everyone who isn't alt right but would vote right of centre and some independents (vast vast majority of right wing voters) isn't going to be impressed seeing "their" candidate posting such shìte online

• Registered Users Posts: 83,544 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Surely a suspension. They dont have the bottle to do it though. Trump could severly obstruct Twitter if he chose to

He would have Jack Dorsey dragged down to Capitol Hill every week for a good tongue lashing

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wow.

It's over. Dead duck. Give Biden the keys to the Whitehouse now.

The far right will love it, of course they will. But they're a very small minority in the grand scheme of things.

Any election is won and lost on the moderates. The die hard Republicans will always vote Republican, the die hard Democrats will always vote Democrat.

It's winning those who can be swayed either way that makes the difference.

Trump won that vote last time because Hilary was very unpopular and Trump ran a good campaign with the MAGA slogan.

But now, holy crap. Between his handling of Covid and the riots he is losing sway with even the Republican base. Add to that an absolutely indefensible use of this symbol and the piss poor "ah but its an emoji" response, and I can't see anyone even close to politically central touching him with a barge pole.

Asode from it being sick, its political suicide. What the actual F?

Yeah people though mocking a disabled reporter was the end of it too.

It ain’t over until he’s golf-carted off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Overheal wrote: »
    He would have Jack Dorsey dragged down to Capitol Hill every week for a good tongue lashing

Simplistic idea of reality

In terms of going up against a corporation, it's pretty unlikely that he could any measures against them.

• Advertisement

Well yes I assume anyone reading that knows it’s metaphorical/rhetorical, and that based on recent events there would no doubt be at least one hearing before Congress, being dragged to the WH for a “lunch,” and having various agencies go after Twitter for any perceived slight, not the least of which is having the Senate continue its feckless crusade against Section 230.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Apparently the Trump campaign place 88 of those ads. The amount of dog whistles is insane.

Also imagine being this gaslit

https://oklahoman.com/article/5664848/early-bird-trump-supporters-want-to-be-among-first-at-rally
    "I'd love to let him know we're here for him. We want to show our support," she said. "We feel like President Trump and his family have dedicated their lives to helping our country. Sacrificing a week of our lives is nothing for what Trump has done for us."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yeah but everyone who isn't alt right but would vote right of centre and some independents (vast vast majority of right wing voters) isn't going to be impressed seeing "their" candidate posting such shìte online

You don’t remember the Hilary memes with yellow stars? It’s exactly the same tactic.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

+27,924 Coronavirus cases yesterday.

Rapidly increasing again.

• Advertisement

+27,924 Coronavirus cases yesterday.

Rapidly increasing again.

More testing surely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Chicoso wrote: »
    More testing surely

Why are they doing more testing now?
    Months later.
    Aren’t cases in most western countries falling, even with more testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/CalNBC/status/1273416410283290625?s=19

I think this is worst thing I have ever heard.

Comment underneath:

"It’s like a modern day Von Trapps, except they’re joining the Nazis, not running from them..."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chicoso wrote:
    More testing surely

Or a result of riots and protests?

eagle eye wrote: »

There's no suggestion of that.
    https://www.wired.com/story/what-minnesotas-protests-are-revealing-about-covid-19-spread/

eagle eye wrote: »

There won't.be any issue with trump's rallies

He's asked anyone displaying symptoms to stay home lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

https://twitter.com/CalNBC/status/1273416410283290625?s=19

I think this is worst thing I have ever heard. C

Comment underneath:

"It’s like a modern day Von Trapps, except they’re joining the Nazis, not running from them..."

:D

Anyone summarise for those of us at work can't turn the volume up?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you are better off not knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Old man and young girls enthusiastically singing

Vote Donnie
    Keep the US great
    *Insert Ric flair woooo jpeg*

May or may not of been sang to a catchy tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Very cetchy song. Over 21 million views. 4 more years. Fake mainstream media won't like that.

• Advertisement

Very cetchy song. Over 21 million views. 4 more years. Fake mainstream media won't like that.

Like it would be really catchy in a doomsday cult. 21 million views also doesn't equate with a large proportion not laughing at them... Meanwhile we can categorically say that he's losing voters like the titanic lost passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is Fox mainstream media?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

More bad news for Trump, even skewed Fox News polls have him losing by double digits to Biden.
    In the head-to-head matchup, the poll finds Biden leads Trump by a 50-38 percent margin. That 12-point advantage is statistically significant, and up from Biden’s 8-point lead last month (48-40 percent).

Then comes the breakdown of what they see as a major threat to the stability of the country, Trump is performing terribly in all of them

Voters asked about Major threats to stability of the country-
    Coronavirus 67%
    Unemployment 67%
    Racism 64%
    As protests continue since George Floyd’s death on May 25, a 61 percent majority disapproves of how Trump is handling race relations (32 percent approve).

That matters, as 81 percent are concerned about racism and another 64 percent perceive racism as a major threat to the stability of the country. That’s on par with the coronavirus pandemic (67 percent major threat) and unemployment (67 percent major threat).

Unemployment is the big one here and the Fed have now come out and said that best case scenario for unemployment is for it to be at 9.6% by years end. That means Trump is facing into election day with at least 10% unemployment. No incumbent has ever won a Presidential election with such terrible unemployment numbers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

21 million eh? I wonder how many of those people were like me, watching it in disbelief.

GOP Politics in the US has dropped to the level of High school football. "Let's sing slogans about how great we are". It's gotten to the point that I long for a candidate with the intellect of GW Bush.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Brian? wrote: »
    21 million eh? I wonder how many of those people were like me, watching it in disbelief.

GOP Politics in the US has dropped to the level of High school football. "Let's sing slogans about how great we are". It's gotten to the point that I long for a candidate with the intellect of GW Bush.

or how many watched the first 4 or 5 seconds and had to turn it off as it was giving them a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its not mainstream media man, its Lamestream media. If you're going to bat for Trump at least get your phrasing right

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The use of the red triangle is truly baffling.

I would not be surprised if Trump himself wasn't aware of the significance of it, but whoever put that Facebook post together (Miller?) must have known that apart from a very small number on the far-right, everybody else would be shocked. They cannot have imagined that it would be a good campaign move for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

osarusan wrote: »
    The use of the red triangle is truly baffling.

I would not be surprised if Trump himself wasn't aware of the significance of it, but whoever put that Facebook post together (Miller?) must have known that apart from a very small number on the far-right, everybody else would be shocked. They cannot have imagined that it would be a good campaign move for Trump.

Someone pointed out here on the thread, and you'll see it online, that the first graph is '14 words' long and they sent it out 88 times. No coincidence there.

It is a good campaign move for Trump - he's communicating with his base. If you support Trump, you're all in on the Nazi symbolism, have been so since 2016 (if not earlier.) Was it a good move for those undecideds that might remain? Hardly. But Trump doesn't care - any publicity is good publicity to a media hound like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Out of those 21 million views, how many will translate into new votes for Donnie? How many people are watching just to wonder at the insanity of it all? How does a video from a core Trump supporter and his family translate into the mainstream media not liking it? How does any of that translate into 4 more years for Donnie?

I'm sorry but your post much like pretty much everything Trump says/tweets is an utterly meaningless word salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Igotadose wrote: »

It is a good campaign move for Trump - he's communicating with his base. If you support Trump, you're all in on the Nazi symbolism, have been so since 2016 (if not earlier.)

I don't agree with that. I think he's communicating with one part of his base, but not with another, larger, part of his base.

I wouldn't agree at all that the bulk of his supporters are happy to see Nazi symbols in his messages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement