Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

At the time when trump called for that it was still the Chinese wuhan corona virus. But then trump was a racist and now that the Chinese governments lax controls have allowed the entire world to be infected , he didn't do enough fast enough.

Viruses can’t be of a certain nationality. How could anyone be dumb enough to think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

notobtuse wrote: »
    Odd, wouldn't you say, why so many, many, many more people try coming to the US (legally and illegally) than Ireland or Switzerland. Must be one of those mysteries of the universe, eh?

Its not a mystery no.

Ireland or Switzerland aren't imperialist nations invading other countries and then attempting to introduce their way of life on the locals.

In that situation its not surprising that some of locals follow you home. France, UK like the US have the same imperialist ideologies which resulted in vast amounts of people from Africa, Middle East and Caribbean /India/Pakistan (in UKs case) moving to those countries.

It was their imperialism that caused that. Huge rise in non white folk then caused big rise in far right politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Odd, wouldn't you say, why so many, many, many more people try coming to the US (legally and illegally) than Ireland or Switzerland. Must be one of those mysteries of the universe, eh?
    No matter what... Orange Man Bad.
    Heard that term a lot before the political correct COVID-19 was introduced, rather than what it should have been called... CCBGV (Chinese Commie Bat Gobblers Virus).

I wish I could be as flippant as you are about the deaths and economic impact a global pandemic is having on the world right now, I would certainly sleep easier at night. But I can't, because I have a conscience.

You seem to almost be revelling in this judging by your posts, the game of constant one upsmanship, the edgy (almost teenage emo like) sarcasm and the complete lack of empathy. I don't know which "path" you are but you clearly are one of the main two. I would say psychopath rather than sociopath because the level of enjoyment you're getting out of this is beyond creepy. I'm not surprised really, given your unabiding and unwavering defence of Dear Leader Trump. Birds of a feather do flock together.

May I suggest signing up to a lovely little website called 4chan? But I'm going to guess you probably already have an account there...
    Oh, we’re going through a rough patch with the COVID-19 pandemic, but we’ll emerge eventually in fine shape... especially with Trump at the helm. And when your, and other European countries, come asking for help, due to consequences arising with the pandemic, from the US I’m sure we’ll find it in our hearts and pocketbooks to oblige.

What is this collective speaking nonsense as well? You don't speak for anyone but yourself so stop talking like you're the ambassador of a country, it's ghoulish. You're not as important as you think you are and you obviously don't give a f**k about your fellow Americans if you think this is just a "rough patch" and Trump is doing a great job at the helm. It's a sh*tshow by every measurement already and it's only going to get worse.

I would hesitate to say something like 'cop onto yourself man' because your posting is not that of a man, it's the bored internet baiting of a tween child. And if that's not the case and you are indeed an adult who believes what's being posted, then you need to sort yourself out because you're actually a caricature of the american stereotype at this point which is not something to take pride in. Brashly ignorant, confident in superiority, unable to think logically, cultishly defensive of the celeb you worship. These are not character traits grown men should have let alone be proudly displaying anywhere, even on irrelevant internet message boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

MadYaker wrote: »
    Viruses can’t be of a certain nationality.

How could anyone be dumb enough to think that?
    kilns wrote: »
    Maybe on OANN or Fox where you no doubt get your news

Oops.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1219832341801197568

ccv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Again where has it officially being called the Chinese Wuhan Coronavirus?

• Advertisement

Oh the irony! Trump tweeting to honor National Former Prisoner of War Memorial Day.

The irony of you using CNN to back up your own nonsense point is obviously lost on you.

Once again, viruses can’t be of any nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Oh the irony! Trump tweeting to honor National Former Prisoner of War Memorial Day.
    I thought he didn't like soldiers that were captured :confused:

Jesus dotard, make up your mind ffs

then trump was a racist ...

Don't forget "fear mongering" and "xenophobic" as per Sleepy Joe.

Absolutely laughable to read some of the sanctimony being posted, referring to the number of deaths, when the very politicians whose actions these same people endorsed undermined the Trump administration's efforts to stop the spread of the virus when it truly mattered most.

The democrats even tried to reverse the travel restrictions in congress and on March 3rd (just five weeks ago) they even tried to get a bill passed that would mean a president (read: Trump) could never restrict travel again (the timing is just coincidental they'll tell you) and a week later on March 10th Rep. Scalise tried to appeal to Pelosi to halt the attempts:
    "I know there is one piece of legislation that’s scheduled for the floor this week that I would urge Speaker Pelosi to pull back on, and that is the No Ban Act. You saw at the very beginning of this, President Trump was able to take quick action when so many cases were coming out of China, and we still don’t know enough about the genesis of this disease in China and how it may have started there.

"Unfortunately, they didn’t share enough information with us as quickly, where we could have done more things earlier. But at the same time, the president was able to take quick action to limit the number of people coming in from China that had exposure to coronavirus, but the No Ban Act would make it more difficult for the president to keep Americans safe by addressing needs as we see other countries like Iran — you’re seeing a large, potential large outbreak in Iran ..

"You wouldn’t want legislation that would make it more difficult. Hopefully, that bill gets pulled this week, but in the meantime, we need to continue to do all that we can to ensure that the administration has the tools they need, and we’re working together to inform the public, of the various precautions that they can take as we’re trying to find a vaccine."

And here's Nadler saying the travel restrictions were "irrational":

https://twitter.com/lawyer4laws/status/1246548698835955715

NY Times (the great purveyors of truth):
    Officially, the World Health Organization opposes travel and trade restrictions. It reiterated that even as it declared the epidemic a global emergency on Jan. 30.

But it now admits that they helped.

The W.H.O.’s epidemic-modeling teams concluded that travel restrictions had slowed the spread of the virus outside China by two to three weeks.

For the United States, the delay was probably far greater. Air-traffic data shows that flights from China to the United States dropped much more than they did to Europe.

If only Fauci & Co had pushed for social distancing far sooner (Feb 29th he clearly didn't think it was needed) then perhaps the numbers might not be so bad, but it doesn't bear thinking about, how the numbers could be had those travel restrictions not been put in place when they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I wish I could be as flippant as you are about the deaths and economic impact a global pandemic is having on the world right now, I would certainly sleep easier at night. But I can't, because I have a conscience.

You seem to almost be revelling in this judging by your posts, the game of constant one upsmanship, the edgy (almost teenage emo like) sarcasm and the complete lack of empathy. I don't know which "path" you are but you clearly are one of the main two. I would say psychopath rather than sociopath because the level of enjoyment you're getting out of this is beyond creepy. I'm not surprised really, given your unabiding and unwavering defence of Dear Leader Trump. Birds of a feather do flock together.

May I suggest signing up to a lovely little website called 4chan? But I'm going to guess you probably already have an account there...

What is this collective speaking nonsense as well? You don't speak for anyone but yourself so stop talking like you're the ambassador of a country, it's ghoulish. You're not as important as you think you are and you obviously don't give a f**k about your fellow Americans if you think this is just a "rough patch" and Trump is doing a great job at the helm. It's a sh*tshow by every measurement already and it's only going to get worse.

I would hesitate to say something like 'cop onto yourself man' because your posting is not that of a man, it's the bored internet baiting of a tween child. And if that's not the case and you are indeed an adult who believes what's being posted, then you need to sort yourself out because you're actually a caricature of the american stereotype at this point which is not something to take pride in. Brashly ignorant, confident in superiority, unable to think logically, cultishly defensive of the celeb you worship. These are not character traits grown men should have let alone be proudly displaying anywhere, even on irrelevant internet message boards.
    Being a conservative in the US you become hardened to all the hatred directed at you. Call it what you want but we remain optimistic, and many are tired of all the political correctness, tired of the media lies, tired of the denial that this virus will be with us for probably a century, and tired of the people that think we can get through this without bringing our economy back in short order. I have a chronic disease and if I contract COVID-19, and those two drugs everyone is talking about don’t work, I’m most likely looking at a death sentence... and I realize everyone will get it eventually. So I’ll say what I think and you think what you want. If I don't retain some of my humor I might as well give up now.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

In 2005, President Bush spoke about his strategy in preparation for a possible avian flu pandemic. Compare to the Trump's preparedness.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?189676-1/national-strategy-pandemic-preparedness

Being a conservative in the US you become hardened to all the hatred directed at you. Call it what you want but we remain optimistic, and many are tired of all the political correctness, tired of the media lies, tired of the denial that this virus will be with us for probably a century, and tired of the people that think we can get through this without bringing our economy back in short order. I have a chronic disease and if I contract COVID-19, and those two drugs everyone is talking about don’t work, I’m most likely looking at a death sentence... and I realize everyone will get it eventually. So I’ll say what I think and you think what you want. If I don't retain some of my humor I might as well give up now.

There is no shame being a conservative however there is shame in defending the indefensible

Boggles wrote: »

Yes, and four days later (March 12th) the Mayor of New York (among others) were still making comments like:
    "If you’re not sick, then you should be going about your life"

Clearly they were all pretty much following the advice of the CDC/Fauci at that stage. You all are quick to knock Trump when he suggests people should try a drug when he has no authority to, saying that the scientists are the ones that should be ultimately listened to such things (and rightfully so) but yet when Trump did follow the advice of these people, and it didn't work out, he's still to blame. CDC/Fauci can do/say no wrong it would seem with some.

Not saying they are necessarily culpable, pandemics by their very nature are unpredictable and as they say, the best indicator of future behaviour is past behavior. Fauci ineeds puts it well with the following:
    image.png

But there's an election coming in November and unfortunately some will be keen to suggest it was the President who was overwhelming responsible for the Americans who will have died. Guess we'll see if the electorate agrees.

There is no shame being a conservative however there is shame in defending the indefensible
    I don’t know what you mean by indefensible. Though being the biggest blowhard I’ve ever seen Trump has governed in a more conservative (besides fiscally) than any Republican I’ve seen (and I have lived through them back to Eisenhower). His actions speak louder, and clearer, than his words. The unfounded hate I see from Europeans, and much of the world, based on lies is disgusting. I don’t watch Fox News but I’m watching it tonight... the Laura Ingraham show. Apparently John Durham’s investigation is nearing an end and Attorney General William Barr will appear on the show. A little tidbit coming out from Barr…
    BARR: … to be frustrated, because I think what happened to him was one of the greatest travesties in American history. Without any basis, they started this investigation of his campaign. And even more concerning actually is what happened after the campaign, a whole pattern of events while he was president, so I — to sabotage the presidency, and I think — or at least have the effect of sabotaging the presidency.

I am smart enough to know for the good of the country Obama, Biden, and H Clinton will escape justice no matter how dirty their hands were in this, but if true, there better be some arrests of high ranking Obama holdovers and DNC officials so it never happens again.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

I don’t know what you mean by indefensible. Though being the biggest blowhard I’ve ever seen Trump has governed in a more conservative (besides fiscally) than any Republican I’ve seen (and I have lived through them back to Eisenhower). His actions speak louder, and clearer, than his words. The unfounded hate I see from Europeans, and much of the world, based on lies is disgusting. I don’t watch Fox News but I’m watching it tonight... the Laura Ingraham show. Apparently John Durham’s investigation is nearing an end and Attorney General William Barr will appear on the show. A little tidbit coming out from Barr…

I am smart enough to know for the good of the country Obama, Biden, and H Clinton will escape justice no matter how dirty their hands were in this, but if true, there better be some arrests of high ranking Obama holdovers and DNC officials so it never happens again.[/

I’m out. You are truely a lost cause and have been brain washed. Trump is a con man and has done a good job on you that’s for sure. You live in a Conservative bubble that Europeans don’t live in, they are from the outside looking in and get tv their news from various sources not just biased news sources. So the vast majority of the world is wrong and the minority of conservatives in the US are the only ones who see the real truth. Sure believe that if you want

I’m out. You are truely a lost cause and have been brain washed. Trump is a con man and has done a good job on you that’s for sure. You live in a Conservative bubble that Europeans don’t live in, they are from the outside looking in and get tv their news from various sources not just biased news sources. So the vast majority of the world is wrong and the minority of conservatives in the US are the only ones who see the real truth. Sure believe that if you want
    Sorry to see you go. The US citizens elected Trump president and there is a very good possibility they will reelect him. So by your standards I guess the majority of us are blooming idiots even though before the pandemic our economy was soaring and unemployment and manufacturing was booming due to the actions Trump took. Who is really brainwashed here... I don't think it is the likes of me!

Sorry to see you go. The US citizens elected Trump president and there is a very good possibility they will reelect him. So by your standards I guess the majority of us are blooming idiots even though before the pandemic our economy was soaring and unemployment and manufacturing was booming due to the actions Trump took. Who is really brainwashed here... I don't think it is the likes of me!

Just to clarify did the majority of citizens vote for Trump I’m not sure did they?

So it was solely Trumps policies that created a good economy? he took over a failing economy where the jobless figures were going up consistently and economic growth was in the gutter for years before?

And how is your national debt? Ever buy a Ferrari on a credit card and hoping the credit card company will never come calling to clear your balance...

lol :p

Mainstream news is overwhelmingly left leaning. You can bet your last cent that republicans in the States are exposed to far more liberal views than liberals are to republican ones. This is why mainstream didn't see Brexit coming or Trump being elected. The bubble exists alright, but it is for sure a generally liberal leaning one politically speaking. Sure even late night in the US is all aligning with one view and that is again the liberal one.

For three years they pushed (not reported on) the Russia-Collusion nonsense:

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1205542093831233536

And even when it came to the impeachment palaver they couldn't even cover that in an impartial way:

mediabias.jpg

Mainstream news is overwhelmingly left leaning. You can bet your last cent that republicans in the States are exposed to far more liberal views than liberals are to republican ones. This is why mainstream didn't see Brexit coming or Trump being elected. The bubble exists alright, but it is for sure a generally liberal leaning one politically speaking. Sure even late night in the US is all aligning with one view and that is again the liberal one.

For three years they pushed (not reported on) the Russia-Collusion nonsense and even when it came to the impeachment palaver they couldn't even cover that in an impartial way:

mediabias.jpg

Your buddy was talking about Europeans who are not constantly exposed to the idiots at Fox OANN CNN etc. They have their local independent news sources free from any American ideals. So again the vast majority of the whole world is wrong, the minority of people in the US are right, you’re right....

• Advertisement

Worth pointing out where that graphic comes from, not exactly one of the most credible sources.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nicholas-fondacaro/2020/01/29/evening-news-spin-100-negative-trump-defense-95-positive-dems
    It characterizes itself as a media watchdog, but Politico considers it an anti-mainstream advocacy group and the Columbia Journalism Review considers it "propaganda clothed as critique"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Research_Center#NewsBusters

Mainstream news

Newsbusters?

Jesus lad, it's no wonder you are how you are.

lol indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

You're a gas man Pete

Banging on about the mainstream media being the enemy of the people and fake news then without a hint of irony posting stuff from Newsbusters, Sh!tebart and Tommy Robinson News :pac: :pac:

If only Fauci & Co had pushed for social distancing far sooner (Feb 29th he clearly didn't think it was needed) then perhaps the numbers might not be so bad, but it doesn't bear thinking about, how the numbers could be had those travel restrictions not been put in place when they were.

What do travel restrictions do when the virus is already spreading from person to person within the United States? He stopped flights and then told people it would “just disappear” at that point there were no efforts made to curtail the spread within the states which would have saved many lives. Instead he downplayed for as long as he possibly could until the bodies started piling up.

MadYaker wrote: »
    What do travel restrictions do when the virus is already spreading from person to person within the United States? He stopped flights and then told people it would “just disappear” at that point there were no efforts made to curtail the spread within the states which would have saved many lives. Instead he downplayed for as long as he possibly could until the bodies started piling up.
    Feb. 26: “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”
    March 17: I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.

The man is quite simply an idiot, and the cheerleaders still dribbling after the big orange man beat me harder drum are beyond hope.

If he was a more intelligent man he could have got out in front of this and used it to secure his re-election. All he had to do was start listening to the CDC and start implementing the WHO plan like we did here and he’d be a hero. Instead he tried to downplay to protect the stock market and economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

. If you consider blocking flights from a single country to be "decisive action" in a Pan(the clue is in the name)demic, I guess we'll have to wait and see if this "decisive action" had the desired effect. It might work and keep the virus out of the the United States or it might be like stopping one child from pissing into the septic tank in the hopes that that the stink goes away.

No need to wait and see. Taiwan's response was as you described and much earlier than anyone else's in January.

Taiwan's response one of the best globally - CNN
    " why Western countries did not follow Taiwan's lead in January and February when they still had a chance remains unclear."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I log in each day for a bit of comic relief during this whole period and notobtuse never fails in saying such stupid things it brings a smile to the face

Make a bit of time and add this fella to your daily routine.

It's all the clips of the cretin-in-chief speaking that crack me up the most. Super genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Boggles wrote: »
    The man is quite simply an idiot, and the cheerleaders still dribbling after the big orange man beat me harder drum are beyond hope.

He certainly says the most idiotic things. Hearing Eric Weinstein talking about Kayfabe and Trump's close connections with it, leads me to believe he is much smarter than people give him credit for.

People aren't 'marks' or 'dribblers' in kayfabe, they are willing marks. They know the game is fabricated.

When WWF (Now WWE) admitted publicly that they were entertainment rather than sport to avoid massive tax penalties, many feared it would ruin their business. It had no effect whatsoever.

Weinstein postulates the field of psychology will be writing award-winning papers about this in the next decade.

• Advertisement

Yeah I can't understand how so many are prepared to give him so much slack and to suspend reality. It is a phenomenon that needs to be studied.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement