Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Being rational is based on reason and logic not views and opinions.
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    There's 4 people in that photo and two have their backs to the camera watching the speaker talk. Biden is aware enough to take Covid Prevention measures.

This is just an incredible level of nonsense.

It was a private event not a rally everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Number of cases for Covid doesn't mean a damn thing. The spikes coming now as a result of ending lockdown, attending rallies or attending protests don't matter because these are primarily young and healthy.

Doesn't matter when you end lockdown there would always be a spike.

Provided the vulnerable categories stay home it doesn't matter.

It relates to you actively downplaying how the discussion related to how Trump actively plays to an audience of nazis and White supremacists.
    As long as black people hate Trump those groups will be behind him. If he comes up with a strategy to fight racism then the Westboro Baptist Church will go back to supporting the Democrats.

eagle eye wrote: »
    As long as black people hate Trump those groups will be behind him. If he comes up with a strategy to fight racism then the Westboro Baptist Church will go back to supporting the Democrats.

When did they ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Number of cases for Covid doesn't mean a damn thing. The spikes coming now as a result of ending lockdown, attending rallies or attending protests don't matter because these are primarily young and healthy.

Young and healthy people can transmit the disease

Honestly surprised no one is really discussing the Friday night massacre attempt that just went down. You know this is the AG that indicted Cohen and is actively investing Giuliani, etc. and has Trump listed as an “unindicted coconspirator” in criminal indictments for Cohen? This is kind of a big deal, a failed attempt at a glaring abuse of power and it barely gets a mention from many corners?

It turns out Trump can’t really force him to resign: he was appointed by a panel of judges, ironically after Trump failed to confirm an AG for SDNY in a timely manner (which was another attempt at obstruction)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-administration-replaces-manhattan-us-attorney/2020/06/19/acae9348-b298-11ea-8758-bfd1d045525a_story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

You clearly didn't read my post. I said he doesn't get the opportunity to be one in his current position. I also said I'm sure it's likely he would be one given the opportunity.

Trump cannot be a fascist. In order to become one he'd have to take charge of Congress and the Senate or at least have them in a position of so much fear that they'd do everything he wants.
    That point has pretty to a large extent honest, at least in the Senate, hence their acquitting him of a crime that falls right under 'fascism' in the Ukraine scandal where they refused to see witnesses and where Senators who acquitted him openly admitted he was guilty.

In other wings of government, he has openly called for armed uprisings against governors with whom he disagrees politically, encouraging his supporters to "liberate" these states.

It's a very weak argument on your end. You might as well try to claim Mussolini wasn't a fascist until 1925 despite having been in power since 1922 and leader of the National Fascist Party since 1921, or that Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists were never fascist at all. It's neither a well thought out, nor to be frank, rational argument to attempt to be making.

Edit - perhaps it appears what we can agree on is that Trump is indeed a fascist, but that he hasn't fully managed to achieve the 'dictator' part of that well worn title, at least at this point?

Overheal wrote:
    When did they ever?
    Phelps was a lifelong democrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

duploelabs wrote: »
    Young and healthy people can transmit the disease

Which is why I said that the vulnerable groups must continue to stay home. And away from young and healthy folk.

I haven't seen my dad since the start of March. He's a pensioner in an old age home, I work in the health service. We're a bad combination and even when the home starts allowing visitors, I'll not be going. Video calls only.

• Advertisement

Phelps was a lifelong democrat.

Link?

Overheal wrote:
    Honestly surprised no one is really discussing the Friday night massacre attempt that just went down. You know this is the AG that indicted Cohen and is actively investing Giuliani, etc. and has Trump listed as an “unindicted coconspirator†in criminal indictments for Cohen? This is kind of a big deal, a failed attempt at a glaring abuse of power and it barely gets a mention from many corners?
    This is your second time bringing this up today.
    Has the man in question had anything to say about it? I think we should wait until he does and not just start talking based on assumptions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If Trump and his supporters were dominating academia, churning out believers every year out of the education system.

If his Administration were demanding quotas in the workplace for people who subscribe to his ideology.

If they were rewriting the history books.

If they wanted to set up new police forces separate from the State.

If his supporters were tearing down statues of people they didn't feel represented their ideology.

If they were rioting in cities making new demands that couldn't be achieved by the ballot box.

If you felt threatened expressing an opinion in the workplace that was contrary to his ideology.

Then I'd be getting worried about him.

It's lucky no one is doing this.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Has the man in question had anything to say about it? I think we should wait until he does and not just start talking based on assumptions.

I posted an article from the BBC earlier. Did you miss it?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Jesus Christ.

First off my 2nd post immediately after the one you initially quoted had his response

Secondly read the headline I just linked. If not the article.

Pure display of ignorance

He made a statement at this stage you can look it up and read it yourself I’ve already posted it and I don’t want you complaining I posted it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Overheal wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

First off my 2nd post immediately after the one you initially quoted had his response

Secondly read the headline I just linked. If not the article.

Pure display of ignorance

He made a statement at this stage you can look it up and read it yourself I’ve already posted it and I don’t want you complaining I posted it twice.

Deliberate ignorance to be obfuscous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

For someone who hates Donald Trump eagle eye spe ds an awful lot of time defending Donald Trump

Overheal wrote:
    Link?
    Link to what, if you don't know this you really are pretty ignorant on the history of the Democratic party.
    He lost the Democratic primary for the Senate elections a couple of times. That's in Kansas btw.
    He supported Al Gore for President.
    Google either of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Honestly surprised no one is really discussing the Friday night massacre attempt that just went down. You know this is the AG that indicted Cohen and is actively investing Giuliani, etc. and has Trump listed as an “unindicted coconspirator” in criminal indictments for Cohen? This is kind of a big deal, a failed attempt at a glaring abuse of power and it barely gets a mention from many corners?

It turns out Trump can’t really force him to resign: he was appointed by a panel of judges, ironically after Trump failed to confirm an AG for SDNY in a timely manner (which was another attempt at obstruction)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-administration-replaces-manhattan-us-attorney/2020/06/19/acae9348-b298-11ea-8758-bfd1d045525a_story.html

It's definitely a big deal among the legal folks over there. Potentially on the scale of firing Comey. The fact that he didn't step down and did so publicly means that everyone knows that there's foul play afoot.

At a minimum, Congress needs to show some balls and get Barr in front of a committee to explain himself.

I'd also not be surprised to see some leaks from the SDNY about what it is that they're investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

DrPhilG wrote: »

Doesn't matter when you end lockdown there would always be a spike.

Provided the vulnerable categories stay home it doesn't matter.

There's a spike in deaths too.

Brian? wrote: »
    I posted an article from the BBC earlier. Did you miss it?

Notice how he thinks to know how many times it’s been brought up but not to google his burning question about the man’s response - which is the #1 trending story this morning around the beat.

Link to what, if you don't know this you really are pretty ignorant on the history of the Democratic party.
    He lost the Democratic primary for the Senate elections a couple of times. That's in Kansas btw.
    He supported Al Gore for President.
    Google either of those things.

I don’t believe you. Unless you have facts these are opinions and I don’t have any regard for your opinion eagle.

It's definitely a big deal among the legal folks over there. Potentially on the scale of firing Comey. The fact that he didn't step down and did so publicly means that everyone knows that there's foul play afoot.

At a minimum, Congress needs to show some balls and get Barr in front of a committee to explain himself.

I'd also not be surprised to see some leaks from the SDNY about what it is that they're investigating.

He will be in front of Nadlers committee on Wednesday, at a previously scheduled hearing into Barrs misconduct.

Overheal wrote:
    I did read it, he said he'll step down when there's a Presidentially appointed replacement for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

He has, and unequivocally stated he has no desire to step down right now nor in this fashion despite Barrs attempts to do so on his behalf without even consulting him, nor does he have any inclination to end the investigations into Donald Trump that he is currently involved in.

I learned in a press release from the Attorney General tonight that I was 'stepping down' as United States Attorney. I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position, to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate. Until then, our investigations will move forward without delay or interruption. I cherish every day that I work with the men and women of this Office to pursue justice without fear or favor - and intend to ensure that this office's important cases continue unimpeded.

GEOFFREY S. BERMAN | UNITED STATES ATTORNEY SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK

He is also apparently due to testify in front of Congress this coming Wednesday, which makes the timing that but more shall we say 'curious' in Barrs behalf.

Overheal wrote:
    I don’t believe you. Unless you have facts these are opinions and I don’t have any regard for your opinion eagle.
    So too lazy to Google then?
    I cannot put links up on this app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

He will be in front of Nadlers committee on Wednesday, at a previously scheduled hearing into Barrs misconduct.

https://twitter.com/TheFirstonTV/status/1273392473776283648

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

So too lazy to Google then?
    I cannot put links up on this app.

What app

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement