Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Study that picture again from the perspective of an alien guest who knows nothing about social distancing - what does it portray?

It portrays that the alien guest must be some sort of idiot to not realise the biggest health crisis of our times is active.

Not really sure where you are going with this. Your viewpoint is actually dangerous if you are taking this attitude into everyday life at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Amazing how many posters are suddenly technologically challenged when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Billy Mays wrote: »
    It's entirely expected, and both vocal Trump supporters and those eagerly trying to play the 'centrist' between their historic democracy and someone rveb ms y of them admit is a fascist, will outright support it or turn a blind eye.

This has been clear ever since Wisconsin closed something like 95% of its polling stations during the early height of the covid crisis in April, including only leaving 5 stations open in all of Milwaukee (with a slightly larger city and metro population than Dublin), while illegally blocking an extension to mail in voting on false grounds, and was met with deafening silence from so many different groups.

It was very clear at that point that one side has no interest in upholding honest democracy in the US, and that many will willingly support that and/or pretend it isn't the case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

eagle eye wrote: »
    I did read it, he said he'll step down when there's a Presidentially appointed replacement for him.

This is wilful ignorance. He said he'd no intention of resigning.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is all insane. The whole reason for the anti mask brigade in the US was to mitigate a panic owing to the fact we didn’t have masks for 400 million people, not because they weren’t helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Amazing how many posters are suddenly technologically challenged when it suits them.

RIP the founder of this thread

And poof gone once called out on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Overheal wrote: »
    This is all insane. The whole reason for the anti mask brigade in the US was to mitigate a panic owing to the fact we didn’t have masks for 400 million people, not because they weren’t helpful.

I truly is a testament to the current state of the US that a basic public health measure could become so politicized.

Ea8t9NoXkAElZYg?format=jpg&name=small

The huddled masses in Tulsa are put in droves without PPE, which is presumably an act of disloyalty to Trump

Now let me see if I can paste a link on the touch site...hhhrrrrrngh!

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-viral-videos-show-teeming-throngs-of-maskless-trump-fans-lining-up-for-tulsa-rally/

Ah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The huddled masses in Tulsa are put in droves without PPE, which is presumably an act of disloyalty to Trump

Now let me see if I can paste a link on the touch site...hhhrrrrrngh!

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-viral-videos-show-teeming-throngs-of-maskless-trump-fans-lining-up-for-tulsa-rally/

Ah

The Darwin Gif is superb.

• Advertisement

I don’t believe you. Unless you have facts these are opinions and I don’t have any regard for your opinion eagle.

Phelps did run for democratic election and did even support Al Gore in 1988 as eagle eye has appeared to have correctly stated. However, this was due to Al Gore having an anti LGBT stance in 1988 and was not related to policies regarding black people, which is something eagle eye has appeared to have falsely stated. Phelpsrevoked support for Gore in the 90s following Gore changing his stance on LGBT matters, so I don't know why eagle eye is claiming it was related to racism as he appears to be informed in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,601 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The Darwin Gif is superb.

As was "Coronapalooza."

Hilarious.

Phelps did run for democratic election and did even support Al Gore in 1988 as eagle eye has appeared to have correctly stated. However, this was due to Al Gore having an anti LGBT stance in 1988 and was not related to policies regarding black people, which is something eagle eye has appeared to have falsely stated. Phelpsrevoked support for Gore in the 90s following Gore changing his stance on LGBT matters, so I don't know why eagle eye is claiming it was related to racism as he appears to be informed in the matter.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Overheal wrote:
    What app

Boards.ie app, they don't support it anymore.

I also enjoyed the suggestion that posters here were ignorant of the history of the Democratic Party. The implication there was that posters couldn't fathom the idea that the Democratic Party was full of racists back in the day.

It's a lazy argument that I've seen made here and elsewhere which conveniently forgets the realignment and the southern strategy.

It's a lazy argument that I've seen made here and elsewhere which conveniently forgets the realignment and the southern strategy.

It's only lazy if you don't look at the #metoo movement which the Democrats took on all gung ho but suddenly when there's an accusation against Joe Biden they all go hiding.

I wasn't even suggesting that there was huge racism in the Democratic party. You formulated that in your own mind.

I've always been a Democrat supporter but I'm not happy with how they've sunk into the gutter since Trump came along. That's his area, I believe you must stay above it and hold the high line which the Democrats have not done. I blame Nancy Pelosi most for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I've always been a Democrat supporter......

!

Boards.ie app, they don't support it anymore.

So stop using it. Still be hard to convince me you can’t paste a link in it.

It's only lazy if you don't look at the #metoo movement which the Democrats took on all gung ho but suddenly when there's an accusation against Joe Biden they all go hiding.

I wasn't even suggesting that there was huge racism in the Democratic party. You formulated that in your own mind.

I've always been a Democrat supporter but I'm not happy with how they've sunk into the gutter since Trump came along. That's his area, I believe you must stay above it and hold the high line which the Democrats have not done. I blame Nancy Pelosi most for that.

I really don't understand how you measure equivalence.

Trump engages in juvenile name-calling on a daily basis, she calls him obese and you consider those acts to be no different to each other?

When the Green Bay Packers beat the New Orleans Saints by 52 - 3 in late 2005, did you consider it to be a draw?

On the Biden allegations, they weren't particularly credible to begin with. It would be stupid to simply believe every allegation ever and nobody serious is suggesting that.

I'll give you that one about their history. I jumped the gun there.

Trump engages in juvenile name-calling on a daily basis, she calls him obese and you consider those acts to be no different to each other?
    I consider ripping up a copy of and talking during the State of the Union speech a disgraceful act.
    Let me make this very clear, I don't care who the President is. In situations like that it's about respecting the office not the person.
    That to me is gutter politics.

• Advertisement

It's funny you mention that, because I remember Trump supporters pushing hard in the fact that Weinstein was a Clinton donor and that the entertainment industry skew quote blue with regards to the metoo movement, early units outset.

They were happy to ignore that Trump had said he considered Weinstein a friend and came within 1% of voting Roy Moore whose defense of his pedophilia was that he got mosm permission, but were also completely silent when senior GOP officials like the RNC finance chair Steve Wynn was also implicated.

By the time it had got on to Bush Snr, supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and indeed Trump (whose accusers they had previously written off as liars and opportunists), metoo had very much been turned from a case of political opportunism into an outright enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I consider ripping up a copy of and talking during the State of the Union speech a disgraceful act.
    Let me make this very clear, I don't care who the President is. In situations like that it's about respecting the office not the person.

Trump himself doesn't respect the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Oh you mean the same speech where he rejected her handshake at the beginning of it? He didn't respect her office, why should she have respected his? And she ripped it up when it was over not during it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Igotadose wrote: »
    At least one virologist has an explanation as to what's up with protests & Covid; basically, protests are outdoors, and protestors are wearing masks, so they're not causing a spike in cases. Covid's spread indoors in crowded places, like, say, political rallies at arenas, especially if you don't wear a mask.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/protests-covid-outdoor-masks.html

It's funny that no-one made that argument for the lockdown protestors.
    The politicizing of science from the dems is beyond ridiculous.

That is your right. You're free to consider that act to be disrespectful to the office of the Presidency. I just find it odd that you would put a couple of disrespectful acts on a par with the many examples of frequent and genuinely disrespectful conduct, unbecoming of the presidency by Trump himself.

To me, scale and frequency comes into play here. Beclowning the Presidency on a daily basis with lies, tantrums, false accusations and whining is so much more of a debasement of the office than tearing up a speech that you'd need a logarithmic scale to even attempt any kind of comparison.

Trump himself doesn't respect the office.
    That doesn't mean others shouldn't.

That is your right. You're free to consider that act to be disrespectful to the office of the Presidency. I just find it odd that you would put a couple of disrespectful acts on a par with the many examples of frequent and genuinely disrespectful conduct, unbecoming of the presidency by Trump himself.
    What you are not getting here is that I don't believe we should live to Trump's standards. We should be living to a much higher standard of respect and common decency.
    To me, scale and frequency comes into play here. Beclowning the Presidency on a daily basis with lies, tantrums, false accusations and whining is so much more of a debasement of the office than tearing up a speech that you'd need a logarithmic scale to even attempt any kind of comparison.
    I keep calling where he is the gutter. Do you want to live in the gutter or hold yourself to a much higher standard?

Overheal wrote:
    So stop using it. Still be hard to convince me you can’t paste a link in it.
    Download and try then. I never lie.

What you are not getting here is that I don't believe we should live to Trump's standards. We should be living to a much higher standard of respect and common decency.

I keep calling where he is the gutter. Do you want to live in the gutter or hold yourself to a much higher standard?

There's a big difference between being down in the gutter rolling around and stepping in from time to time. You can't equate the two, well, you can and you do but that's not a good way to interpret events.

If Pelosi or other prominent dems were behaving as disgracefully as Trump as often as he does, I could agree with you but that's simply not happening. That's why I find the equivalence puzzling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The democrats ARE living to a much higher standard than trump and the GOP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement