Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

eagle eye wrote: »
    That doesn't mean others shouldn't.

I agree, yet here you are everyday defending him no matter how badly he debases the office of president.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Trump dragged American politics into the gutter, maybe others will have to step into it to drag it back out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump fails to ban Bolton's book

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53118721

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

I consider ripping up a copy of and talking during the State of the Union speech a disgraceful act.
    Let me make this very clear, I don't care who the President is. In situations like that it's about respecting the office not the person.
    That to me is gutter politics.

No. Gutter politics is what the GOP is doing right now and Trump demonstrates every day.
    What Pelosi did was ridiculous and an overreaction - but I understand the frustration with Trump & the GOP and that why she lost her cool in that moment.
    Trump and his administration don’t deserve respect. Respect has to be earned.
    Mob tactics don’t impress me personally and I don’t think them to be quite presidential either - but obviously you think differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

duploelabs wrote: »

I think they can still go after Bolton for the profits it there is classified information in there. At least, that's my non-lawyer understanding.

Still, it was always a big ask to get an injunction when the book was already distributed, as the judge remarked when he said that "the horse had already left the barn".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

duploelabs wrote: »

He's declaring victory on Twitter.

You see truth and fact doesn't matter to his dumb ass base.

He is clever enough to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

And as demonstrated by his defenders here

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's a big difference between being down in the gutter rolling around and stepping in from time to time. You can't equate the two, well, you can and you do but that's not a good way to interpret events.
    If Pelosi or other prominent dems were behaving as disgracefully as Trump as often as he does, I could agree with you but that's simply not happening. That's why I find the equivalence puzzling.
    So basically you look at things from an equivalence point of view.
    Where do you draw the line with that? Like say a guy cheats on his wife a couple of times is that ok but if he's at it every day it's not?
    One murder vs multiple murderer?

The democrats ARE living to a much higher standard than trump and the GOP.

That’s the thing though - the mantra „of they go low, you go high“, doesn’t work with people who don’t have dignity and morals left at all. They laugh at you and call you „snowflake“ and go even lower...
    They see it as weakness, not strength.
    That’s why the ads of The Lincoln Project throw more punches than the democratic ads. The Republicans communicate in the same language. „Gutter speak“ Is the only language some will understand unfortunately - and Trump & his cronies are fluent speakers.

It's been like that for some time. His tweets aren't taken seriously by well-adjusted and informed people. They're aimed at a segment of the population that lives in the kind of parallel universe that OANN exists in. They're not only to misinform the uninformed but to also reinforce the beliefs of the already highly misinformed.

• Advertisement

The democrats ARE living to a much higher standard than trump and the GOP.
    They are spending a lot of time in the gutter, they should never be down there.

Lolle06 wrote:
    That’s the thing though - the mantra „of they go low, you go high“, doesn’t work with people who don’t have dignity and morals left at all. They laugh at you and call you „snowflake“ and go even lower... They see it as weakness, not strength. That’s why the ads of The Lincoln Project throw more punches than the democratic ads. The Republicans communicate in the same language. „Gutter speak“ Is the only language some will understand unfortunately - and Trump & his cronies are fluent speakers.
    And I'm sure you've heard the old saying, he dragged you down to his level and beat you. That's exactly what happened in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

That doesn't mean others shouldn't.

It actually does in large part.

McConnell and Ryan also didn't respect their offices during Obama's term, and openly bragged about how their number 1 goal was to obstruct the presidency rather than focusing on actual governance - which they then largely did. The American electorate then rather than punishing Thi behaviour, rewarded them and the GOP in 2016 with more power than any single party had got in almost a century, outright rejecting Clintons "when they go low, we go high" stance and Obama's eight years of calling for unity and bipartisan ship. Over these wight years the GOP had been systematically removing moderate candidates wherever it could in place of hard liners who would tow the McConnell/Ryan stance, and again the voters decided to put them in, time and again.

The democrat party's actions since then are merely a case of democracies deserving the leadership that they get, and the USA deserving this one. And what's more, it worked for the democrats in 2018 and is looking more and more likely to work for them in November too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Very interesting ruling: https://pacer-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/36/219024/04517891261.pdf

The judge said that Bolton had failed to act properly when he halted the review of the manuscript (it was being reviewed to look for classified info), so the govt had made successful argument there.

But the judge also said that in this digital and internet age, there was no point to an injunction as the book would inevitably be available online, and thus, the govt had not successfully argued that an injunction would prevent the country from 'irreperable harm' - not because the content would not cause irreperable harm, but because an injunction would be toothless:
    Bolton may indeed have caused the country irreparable harm. But in theInternet age, even a handful of copies in circulation could irrevocably destroy confidentiality. A single dedicated individual with a book in hand could publish its contents far and wide from his local coffee shop. With hundreds of thousands of copies around the globe—many in newsrooms—the damage is done. There is no restoring the status quo.

Judge's final comments:
    IV.CONCLUSIONDefendant Bolton has gambled with the national security of the United States. He has exposed his country to harm and himself to civil (and potentially criminal) liability. But these facts do not control the motion before the Court. The government has failed to establish that an injunction will prevent irreparable harm. Its motion is accordingly DENIED. It is SO ORDERED.
    The judge even said that the court could bring an injunction even if it was only a nominal one (for the public interest), but chose not to.

Seems a strange ruling to me, I have to say, the idea that the internet has left the law so ineffective that the judge won't bother applying it.

And I'm sure you've heard the old saying, he dragged you down to his level and beat you. That's exactly what happened in 2016.

Beat you with what exactly?

And in what way did the Dems get dragged down to Trumps level in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Trump due on stage around midnight here tonight. Think I'll tune into this one, he is going to be like an uncaged lion

It's been like that for some time. His tweets aren't taken seriously by well-adjusted and informed people. They're aimed at a segment of the population that lives in the kind of parallel universe that OANN exists in. They're not only to misinform the uninformed but to also reinforce the beliefs of the already highly misinformed.

Most of them wouldn't watch anything outside Fox, many wouldn't even watch news at all. They'd hardly go any further than reading a headline in any case.

In essence it's catastrophic ignorance on a huge scale America is dealing with.

As far as their concerned what Trump says is gospel.

So basically you look at things from an equivalence point of view.
    Where do you draw the line with that? Like say a guy cheats on his wife a couple of times is that ok but if he's at it every day it's not?
    One murder vs multiple murderer?

In both your scenarios, I wouldn't see much difference between them as they're the kind of actions that have a high threshold that once crossed, are kind of character defining. Once you've done it, that's what you are. Society has taboos about murder and adultery but doesn't have anything like that for "disrespecting the office".

Objectively of course, one murder is better than multiple murders but someone who murders one person isn't much better than someone who murders many.

Ripping up a piece of paper in response to a petty refusal to shake hands with the speaker of the house isn't that kind of thing though. It's a silly act of protestation. It's a sign of disrespect to the holder of an office that he himself has no respect for. It's a drop in the swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Trump due on stage around midnight here tonight. Think I'll tune into this one, he is going to be like an uncaged lion

Just watched a video showing some Trump fans burning their face masks. Setting a good tone for the evening already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,601 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Lion? Nah. Jackass is more like it. Brays, stomps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Quote from Governer of Florida re the spike in cases. Firmly beginning to shift blame towards the low paid workers.

It may aswell be the Orangutan saying it.

https://twitter.com/Enrique_Acevedo/status/1274357430147825664?s=19

Such a detestable shower this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Twitter will be lit tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Jesus, how much of a foaming at the mouth zealot do you have to be to carry this around

https://twitter.com/Nancy_H1122/status/1274104399527198721?s=19

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1274355082402955269

This is what we are dealing with folks!

This is the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

2u2me wrote: »
    It's funny that no-one made that argument for the lockdown protestors.
    The politicizing of science from the dems is beyond ridiculous.

That probably has to do with the fact that a) they were openly protesting to end lockdown measures out in place to help reduce the spread of covid, and b) a much higher percentage of them were not wearing masks as they believed Trump when he said it was all a Democrat hoax (which makes it funny that you would bemoan 'democrats politicizing science').

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I think they can still go after Bolton for the profits it there is classified information in there. At least, that's my non-lawyer understanding.

Still, it was always a big ask to get an injunction when the book was already distributed, as the judge remarked when he said that "the horse had already left the barn".

Kind of like. Win Win

The dirt gets dished on Trump and that odious war-mongering toad gets nothing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Download and try then. I never lie.

It’s not on the App Store.

You can type and surely you can paste so a url string is beyond your ken?

Berman has been fired. At least according to Barr so I don't know how that works in practice.

Anyway, that leaves his deputy in charge for now and there is no chance of a crony replacement at the moment according to Graham and Schumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

Overheal wrote: »
    It’s not on the App Store.

You can type and surely you can paste so a url string is beyond your ken?

This is the same dude who tried to convince us Martin Gugino didn't get his head split open by the cops when they knocked him open. He's about as eagle eyed as Stevie Wonder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement